Alternatives to firearms when traveling [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to firearms when traveling

CDR_Glock
03-03-2012, 07:04
Mas

Long time, no chat. Hahaha.

What do you recommend for self defense when traveling outside of the USA? It is doubtful that I can bring my firearm with me. I don't know what carrying knives concealed is like in a foreign country. Do you? What about a Kubotan?

What do you do? What would be your approach?

Rick

Mas Ayoob
03-03-2012, 18:12
What do I do? I make it a policy not to go to countries where I can't be armed, and have stuck to that for the last 15 years or so.

Check with the given country's embassies in Washington. There are still a few places where you can carry if you jump through enough hoops. (I'm thinking of doing a trip to South Africa, where it's still possible to carry, though not as easy as it was when I went there long ago.)

Some countries treat a knife the way New York would treat a visitor with a concealed firearm (think: England today). Some are more cool about that. Again, check with the embassy.

Mini-Mag flashlights are legal everywhere, and all the Kubotan techniques will work. A cane or walking stick is legal pretty much everywhere.

God, Rick, you've reminded me again how much I love the USA...

best,
Mas

CDR_Glock
03-10-2012, 19:11
Yes. I know what you mean.

I took my Kubotan with me and a flashlight. Luckily, I didn't have to resort to any situations.

It is unfortunate that I had to go bare without my pistol. It is back at my side.