Holster and belt questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holster and belt questions

chedched
03-03-2012, 15:11
I'm going to begin CC and I'm looking around at some of the various options.

I am pretty sure I want a Crossbreed supertuck. Does anyone use the G23(longer) model with a G27? I thought I read somewhere that it makes the pistol a bit more stable and would also be useful if I ever decide to carry a G23. I know the horsehide is supposed to be better when you seat more often. I live in Wisconsin but I do sweat in the summer months. Is the horsehide worth it? Will I notice any true benifits?

I have read very little on gun belts. I am looking for some input from the seasoned vets about what they use and why. I currently use a very inexpensive canvas type belt as I have been losing weight rapidly. An adjustable belt (not a belt with holes) is kind of a must for me as I have about 24 pounds to go before my goal weight. I don't want to buy one now just to buy another down the road. I am also not looking for a $100 belt. I probably will not carry 24/7 as my employer doesn't allow carry (for employees but customers are ok, wtf??).

Any and all input is much appreciated.

DannyII
03-03-2012, 15:20
Can't help with the CBST holster, I have an MTAC.

Belt - Wilderness Instructor or Frequent Flyer, 5 stitch. Lots of adjustability, stiff and stable and around $40. I love mine, I'm wearing it right now, in fact. Super comfy all the time.

chedched
03-03-2012, 16:08
I've seen that same recommendation here and there. How do they compare to a 5.11 gun belt? I only ask because the local Gander now carries them.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5ta1trbe.html

Compare to this model

collim1
03-03-2012, 19:08
I've seen that same recommendation here and there. How do they compare to a 5.11 gun belt? I only ask because the local Gander now carries them.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/5ta1trbe.html

Compare to this model

The 1.75" belt with the internal stifferner is a serious strap that easily tote a 5" 1911 and two reloads. It makes carrying a compact and a spare mag cake. I have one and use it for CCW daily. I can easily carry a P226 and a double mag pouch on this belt.

Problem is it wont fit in the belt loops of most khakis and dress pants, just jeans.

To solve that I use a Beltman 1.5" horsehide belt. It still fits the belt slots tight and also fits all my dress pants. It is still a solid gunbelt.

IF I had to pick one, it would the Beltman for the versatility. I highly reccomend Beltman, I love mine.

chedched
03-03-2012, 19:16
The belt needs to be adjustable though. I plan to lose a bit more weight so I don't want to be punching a bunch of holes in a belt. I would like to stick with the 1 1/2 inch because it will fit in my work pants too.

TX expat
03-03-2012, 19:42
One thing you need to understand with those nylon gun belts is because they fold over and velcro back on themselves, they aren't going to be much more, if any, adjustable than a leather belt. They have a size range just like a leather belt with holes does.

It sounds like your current belt isn't an actual 'gun belt' which the Wilderness and even that 5.11 that you linked are. I don't own either of them, but my nylon gun belt has about 5 inches of adjustability and I would assume that those are fairly similar.

It sounds to me like your best bet may be to go 'cheap' now and plan to replace it once you get the weight lost.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Clothing/Mens-Casual-Clothing/Mens-Clothing-Accessories/Mens-Belts-Suspenders%7C/pc/104797080/c/104746680/sc/104446980/i/103911480/Cabelas-Double-Duty-Belt/733280.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FN%3D1100924%26WTz_l%3DSBC%253BBRprd733280&WTz_l=SBC%3BBRprd733280%3Bcat103911480

I used one of those for several years and it worked fine other than I didn't care for the buckle, so I replaced it. They go on sale all the time for $25-30, so maybe something like that would be the way to go for now, knowing that you'll probably invest in something else once you've shed the pounds you are looking to lose.

racer88
03-03-2012, 19:52
I have the CBST for a G27 (my EDC). I just checked, and my G23 will fit with a bit of the barrel sticking out past the leather.

I have three belts. The first is a Crossbreed 1-1/2" belt. It works well with jeans, shorts, or any casual pants. But, it's too wide to fit in my business dress slacks. So, for business attire, I have 2 Beltman belts. One black. One brown. 1-1/4".

All of them have velcro sewn in for use with the V-clips.

Works very well for me.

chedched
03-03-2012, 20:16
So will a G23 holster also work for a G27? The reson I wanted to go that way is I thought it made the pistol more sturdy for some reason...

racer88
03-03-2012, 20:18
So will a G23 holster also work for a G27? The reson I wanted to go that way is I thought it made the pistol more sturdy for some reason...

As I understand it, yes. The kydex shell should be the same. I would imagine the G23 holster probably just has extra leather at the bottom to account for the longer barrel. Maybe more at the top for the longer grip, too.

larson1122
03-03-2012, 22:03
I have a Galco 1.5" reinforced instructor's belt and love it, lots of room for adjustment and the price isn't bad at around $40.

IndyGunFreak
03-04-2012, 00:32
Can't help with the CBST holster, I have an MTAC.

Belt - Wilderness Instructor or Frequent Flyer, 5 stitch. Lots of adjustability, stiff and stable and around $40. I love mine, I'm wearing it right now, in fact. Super comfy all the time.

I agree w/ you. If you want Leather, get a Beltman or Aker Leather B21.

beforeobamabans
03-04-2012, 03:18
There is nothing wrong with the CBST except that it is a very large holster that is best suited for a large gun. If the reason you bought a Glock subcompact was to create a minimalist CC, then you're kinda defeating the purpose. A much better solution is a custom fitted leather holster. It will be smaller, easier to conceal, oh and by the way, look and smell a lot better. Since there's no reason to skimp on this critical piece of equipment, my recommendation is to not mess around and just get the best holster you'll ever see/wear right off the bat: Brommeland Max Con V. Guess what 'Max Con' stands for?

Same thing on belts: buy quality the first time. That means Beltman in leather and Wilderness in nylon. Watch out for Chinese imports like 5.11-they just aren't the same. There's a reason the real McCoy costs more! And you'll feel better buying genuine American-made goods that perform beautifully. I've done the big weight loss thing and always gained it back so don't be so sure you won't end up using those bigger belts you bought. Plus, the Beltman will cut down any of his belts and return ship for $15. You can't beat that deal.

Bill Lumberg
03-04-2012, 07:02
I prefer OWB and find it generally conceals just as well as IWB in most situations. That said, I have crossbreeds in both cowhide and horsehide. I prefer the horsehide by far. A crossbreed made for a 23 works fine for a 27. A proper gunbelt is a must for any holster to perform well. They start around $50. I'm going to begin CC and I'm looking around at some of the various options.

I am pretty sure I want a Crossbreed supertuck. Does anyone use the G23(longer) model with a G27? I thought I read somewhere that it makes the pistol a bit more stable and would also be useful if I ever decide to carry a G23. I know the horsehide is supposed to be better when you seat more often. I live in Wisconsin but I do sweat in the summer months. Is the horsehide worth it? Will I notice any true benifits?

I have read very little on gun belts. I am looking for some input from the seasoned vets about what they use and why. I currently use a very inexpensive canvas type belt as I have been losing weight rapidly. An adjustable belt (not a belt with holes) is kind of a must for me as I have about 24 pounds to go before my goal weight. I don't want to buy one now just to buy another down the road. I am also not looking for a $100 belt. I probably will not carry 24/7 as my employer doesn't allow carry (for employees but customers are ok, wtf??).

Any and all input is much appreciated.

racer88
03-04-2012, 08:03
There is nothing wrong with the CBST except that it is a very large holster that is best suited for a large gun. If the reason you bought a Glock subcompact was to create a minimalist CC, then you're kinda defeating the purpose.

I'm going to totally disagree about the CBST. It looks big, yes. But, that's what makes it DISAPPEAR. It sounds counterintuitive, but it's true.

By having two clips spread apart, it distributes the weight of the gun... making it disappear weight-wise.

By having a large expanse of leather, it feels and fits flush with your body (after breaking-in)... making it disappear in that you don't feel the gun pressing into you.

The outer shell is kydex, which is very thin.... so it doesn't stick out.

The CBST doesn't defeat the purpose... it achieves the purpose masterfully.

I don't have any personal experience with the Max Con. But, looking at photos, I would not like it. Why? Because there's nothing between the gun grip and my body. It's not adjustable and rides high. Some people will like that. I like mine to be adjustable and ride lower. I also like something (leather) between the grip and my body, so the grip doesn't poke at me. That's just me. But, the reputation and reviews of the Max Con are consistently good.

I CAN tell you that the CBST (and the very similar Whitehat Maxtuck) work very, very well. I wear one or the other every single day. I work in VERY close physical proximity to "clients" during the work week, and they have no idea.

YMMV. :)

Ryobi
03-04-2012, 08:27
The cbst is no better suited for a large gun than a small one.

DannyII
03-04-2012, 11:24
IMHO - The MTAC achieves the comfort (some say even more) with way less material.

I do not have both, but I ran into this pic when I was deciding, and chose the MTAC because of it.

CBST on left, MTAC on right.

http://i48.tinypic.com/ixutf5.jpg

chedched
03-04-2012, 12:15
That means Beltman in leather and Wilderness in nylon. Watch out for Chinese imports like 5.11-they just aren't the same. There's a reason the real McCoy costs more! And you'll feel better buying genuine American-made goods that perform beautifully.

Buying American is a big deal for me. I didn't know 5.11 was Chinese, nor had I thought to look. Thank you.

chedched
03-04-2012, 12:50
Does anyone use this belt?

http://www.laruetactical.com/ranger-belt-ares-gear

It looks real nice but I don't know how the buckle works and the price is a bit steep.

I don't like how the Wilderness is an exact size. I preffer the size range on the Ares. With the Ares, I will buy one belt as opposed to having to buy another belt when I lose the rest of my weight.

jdcjr
03-04-2012, 13:01
I have found that using a quality leather gun belt will make all the difference in the world as far as concealed carry comfort and security. I own two belts (a black one and a brown one) from A&G Custom Gun Leather and they are exceptional. I carry a Gen 4 Glock 19 in a Sam Hanks IWB leather holster with this belt and sometimes I forget I even have it on.

http://www.agcustomgunleather.com/

http://www.hanksgunleather.com/

chedched
03-04-2012, 20:34
I think I've narrowed it down to Ares Ranger, Wilderness instructor, and a Jones Tactical EDC. Any help you guys would have in weighing the good and the bad would be great.

Ares Ranger: I like the two tone look. I'm undecided on the buckle style. The price is higher than the other two. They have a size "range" which is nice for my weight loss issue.

Wilderness Instructor: Simplicity is nice. Lots of good reveiws here and elsewhere. Cheaper than the others. Limited adjustment is the biggest negative I can see.

Jones Tactical EDB: Price point is in the midle of the other two. It uses the nice buckle like the Ares. I don't know much about them but they have lots of different color options. Build time is up to 7 weeks...for a belt...
Has anyone ordered from them? How long did it take? I can't wait 7 weeks.

janice6
03-04-2012, 21:00
How many time has this question been asked about both the gunbelt and the holster. When I started CCW, I had the same questions and problems. Quality of products solved many of them. Buy quality for carrying a deadly weapon.

My experience has been with the CBST and the Beltman Belt.

I bought the CB because it gets the pistol as close to my body as possible. I also bought it because I think re-holstering is dangerous, and you cannot stress the improvement in Kydex holding open while replacing the weapon. You and I go the the bathroom so taking the gun out and replacing it is frequent. More so for me, oldness)

I found the large leather backing on the CB worked out great for me. Because after finding out how I wanted to wear the gun, cant forward, or back and the particular gun, I carved the leather to the outline of the way I carried the gun and this worked out well.

I also found out that with a number of cant positions, I was able to take a G27 with a 15 round magazine and wear it with the grip pointing almost vertical. This allowed the gun to "wrap" around the point of my hip bone, and carried very comfortable.

This method also pointed the muzzle directly at the upper right corner rivet of my jeans back pocket. I had a longer muzzle actually tear the corner of the rear pocket out around the rivet (three pairs of pants), so I was not able to carry a longer muzzle, but with the G27 carried this way, I could carry 15 rounds instead of 10 and still not print.

The extended (in the G27) magazine is smaller in thickness and diameter then the grip of the gun, so I was able to eliminate the printing of the grip because there was none, just the magazine tight against my side. I reduced the grip thickness almost 1/4 inch with this combination for printing. I wear a T shirt (out) and jeans all summer. I have also gone past Store "greeters" and loss prevention without being ever stopped.

As I stated earlier, the magazine/grip was pointing almost vertical along my ribs and the Beltman belt was stiff enough that in 7 years of carrying, it had no tendencies to roll or stretch at the holster and let the grip tilt outward.

This is why i have a good belt and holster.

alba666
03-04-2012, 21:06
I've been using a Kolbeson DPS for over a year with normal belts. 100% better than the Galco I had been using. I oversized it for a G22 but normally carry a G23 in it IWB.

But I was finding that I was hitching my pants up all the time. Figured culprit was the belt, so I ordered a Rough Rider gun belt from www.abetterbeltusa.com

OMG! I have been such an idiot for having a great holster without a great belt. Pants sag is gone. Gun prints less as the belt has the grip on the Gen3 G23 glued to my side. Haven't tried the Gen4 G22 yet with the truncated pyramids on the grip.

Net-Net: The holster and belt are a system that is only as good as the weakest link.

Real women have real bodies with lotsa curves so I can hug'em really tight and not get bruises!

chedched
03-05-2012, 21:04
Has anyone used these?
http://www.volundgearworks.com/belts/

Some good reveiws on another site. A relatively small company so far. Can't find any retail info...