Favorite survival/prepping websites? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Favorite survival/prepping websites?

glockfanbob
03-03-2012, 15:55
Yes I searched but didn't find any such threads. Thought there would be a sticky but guess not...unless I need glasses. :rofl:

Looking mostly for at home preparations (i.e. bug in) so for water storage, etc. Even the little stuff I need. I just am starting this so I don't have anything. :upeyes::crying:

Thanks! :wavey:

fx77
03-03-2012, 16:25
Survivalist forum excellent site

Aceman
03-03-2012, 16:26
Zombie Squad

Aceman
03-03-2012, 16:32
Yes I searched but didn't find any such threads. Thought there would be a sticky but guess not...unless I need glasses. :rofl:

Looking mostly for at home preparations (i.e. bug in) so for water storage, etc. Even the little stuff I need. I just am starting this so I don't have anything. :upeyes::crying:

Thanks! :wavey:

And good job starting. A few key tips:

Water and food are way more important than guns

Guns are, however, important to keep your water and food.

Better to have a 12g pump and a Ruger GP100 and 500 rounds of ammo and 3 months of food, than 10 AK's, 8 AR's, 6 Shotgun's 120k rounds of ammo and 2 weeks food and water.

Integrate life into your preps. My swimming pool is 17k gallons of water and my grill a 4 cans of propane is a lot of boiling.

Meds - don't forget the meds.

I find camping gear is a great way to a) have stuff packed and ready for a bug out, is a good backup for the home gear, and camping is fun!

2 guns you shoot well and regulalrly is way better than 50 guns that you can't shoot. Iron sights and practice rule. But an Aimpoint is nice too.

The food is worth way more than the Aimpoint. So get something from Primary Arms instead if you want an optic.

Remember - stacked cans of soda works as well as water unless you are cooking. Rotating a pantry is way tastier than Mountain House.

In SHTF, conceal-ability rules! If you have to go out. Which, if you have enough water, food, fuel, meds...you don't.

MadMonkey
03-03-2012, 16:53
Zombie Squad

I disagree. I've seen a massive shift in quality in that site since I joined a year and a half ago... I'm beginning to regret defending them in that one thread (black bmw?).

Some of the old threads are still relevant but there seems to be a huge influx of "horses posteriors" lately.

Bolster
03-03-2012, 23:47
As an Urbanite, I follow

http://urbansurvivalsite.com/

M1A Shooter
03-04-2012, 17:03
dont forget to read the survivalblog.com

DrMarc
03-04-2012, 19:43
www.modernsurvivalonline.com

TONS of info!!!

TangoFoxtrot
03-05-2012, 04:32
I'm waiting for someone to say "The Walking Dead".

G22Racer
03-05-2012, 17:34
I'm waiting for someone to say "The Walking Dead".

Maybe from what Daryl does! :)

farmer-dave
03-05-2012, 19:43
I like the writeups at zombiehunters.org, not a member though.

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 09:56
I like using youtube. Dave Canterbury is one name to start with. Also there are some good bushcraft folk in the UK. They get less bogged down by black guns and body armor. We can be distracted by the flashier stuff. Bushcraft skills can often adapt easily to urban environments.

I would also offer Fernando FerFAL Aguirre as someone to listen to. He's gone through Argentina's economic collapse the last ten years so he has a real-world perspective on that scenario. He offers a nice balance to our tendency to only envision the Big Zombie Apocalypse with total collapse of all government and Rule of Law.

Deputydave
03-25-2012, 10:18
And good job starting. A few key tips:

Water and food are way more important than guns

Guns are, however, important to keep your water and food.

Better to have a 12g pump and a Ruger GP100 and 500 rounds of ammo and 3 months of food, than 10 AK's, 8 AR's, 6 Shotgun's 120k rounds of ammo and 2 weeks food and water.

Integrate life into your preps. My swimming pool is 17k gallons of water and my grill a 4 cans of propane is a lot of boiling.

Meds - don't forget the meds.

I find camping gear is a great way to a) have stuff packed and ready for a bug out, is a good backup for the home gear, and camping is fun!

2 guns you shoot well and regulalrly is way better than 50 guns that you can't shoot. Iron sights and practice rule. But an Aimpoint is nice too.

The food is worth way more than the Aimpoint. So get something from Primary Arms instead if you want an optic.

Remember - stacked cans of soda works as well as water unless you are cooking. Rotating a pantry is way tastier than Mountain House.

In SHTF, conceal-ability rules! If you have to go out. Which, if you have enough water, food, fuel, meds...you don't.

Good common sense advice.

Think about the kind of stuff you'd need if you were going camping for a week and it will put you a long way towards the kind of stuff you should have. Have the ability to start a fire without matches i.e. firesteel (try firesteel.com), magnesium block, collect your dryer lint and stick it in an empty vitamin bottle to stay dry for good tinder or a petroleum jelly cotton ball.

I ordered 5 little firesteels from firesteel.com. The 2 inch type that cost .99 cents each yet give off a heck of a hot spark(s). One for each car, one for the BOB and you could even put one in your wallet. And of course a good ole fashion pocket knife. So for a buck I now have the ability to make fire should I need to without having to carry matches which could get wet (though I also have water proof matches in each vehicle and with the camping gear as it is good to be a little redundant in such areas).

Have you taken a basic first aid course?

Do you have a tent?

Do you have what is commonly called a B.O.B. (bug out bag)?

Do you know evacuation routes?

And I'm not talking about zombies, more like natural disasters like floods, hurricanes, tornadoes etc. Of course, in this day and age a terrorist attack should be considered as well. What about gas leaks or nuclear power plant accidents and such? Just stuff to consider.

Take a look at the websites mentioned above. Take a look at youtube for great ideas as well. No need to spend your savings account dry, but a little here and there will be better than nothing at all.

Lone Kimono
03-25-2012, 10:33
Honestly, I'm not just saying this, Glocktalk. I was thinking it this morning when I saw how many threads had new posts today.

M1A Shooter
03-25-2012, 12:47
i have also found a local group of preppers on Yahoo Groups. might try there. its a message board and the local preppers actually get together somewhat often. had a class on map and comass navigation, which i missed, this weekend. looking to get together with the 3 others from my town specifically and see if it brings any useful info and/or networking.

ancient_serpent
03-25-2012, 13:48
I try to frequent this one, Survival blog and the Zombie Squad forums a bit. Always like reading about this kind of thing, learning from the experiences of others.

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 18:52
had a class on map and compass navigation,

Oooh, I definitely could use some help on that. I was an Air Force guy, we weren't big on learning map n' compass stuff. I have practical horse-sense about mountains and rivers kind of navigation, but not compass or stars so much.

Glocktastic
03-25-2012, 20:26
In addition to www.survivalblog.com (http://www.survivalblog.com) and ferfal.blogspot.com (already mentioned), I like:

www.thesurvivalpodcast.com (http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com)

www.shtfplan.com (http://www.shtfplan.com)

Cheers

Johnny Cache
03-25-2012, 20:33
neat thread...one question though...is it just me, or does there always seem to be more interest in "prepping" around election seasons?

I've been looking for a nice SHTF site that discourages the discussion of religion and politics as I feel they are wedge issues that NEVER truly contribute to the subject matter at hand, but I've had no luck.

BORNGEARHEAD
03-26-2012, 19:15
http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/ is a good site. It seems a bit more friendly, family orientated. Survival mom is on there, too.

Allfal
03-26-2012, 21:44
lds.org. Good prices on storage food and not bad on some other preps. Not a great selection.
http://store.lds.org/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Category3_715839595_10557_21003_-1_N_image_0

Lowdown3
03-27-2012, 06:51
neat thread...one question though...is it just me, or does there always seem to be more interest in "prepping" around election seasons?

I've been looking for a nice SHTF site that discourages the discussion of religion and politics as I feel they are wedge issues that NEVER truly contribute to the subject matter at hand, but I've had no luck.

Been preparing 26 years now, their is definitely more interest around election time.

Also, once money gets tight, people want to prepare. But it's a catch 22 for those that wait till then. Often times they don't have the money necessary to prepare. Some learn as I did and the next time around they "make hay while the sun is shining" instead of trying to grab a few stubbles of grass when it's pouring down rain.

Don't get too excited about this new crop of "preppers." Most will not be around in 5 years, probably sooner. Quite a few of them actually are preparing for some sort of cosmic/mayan BS the end of 2012. More than a few of them will go back to "normal life" when a conservative gets in the White House and the economy starts to show some life again.

I've seen this time and time again.

Doing something based solely on FEAR doesn't last.

The one good thing is that we won't have to bear with people that have been "preparing for two years" act like experts on stupid TV shows, on the net, etc. Most of them will vanish once the "fad" aspect of it all goes away.

To the OP question-

www.frugalsquirrels.com

www.ar15.com
has a decent survival forum section and

www.survivalandpreparedness.com