Mouse guns [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Mouse guns

Gene Pool
03-03-2012, 22:03
Does anyone here besides me carry a "mouse gun" (caliber 25 or 32)? My primary carry gun is a Glock in 357 Sig caliber. However, sometimes I have to resort to a very small handgun, or no handgun at all.

I carry a Beretta 950 in 25 ACP, loaded with a hollow point on the first round, followed by ball. (It's not much, but better than a stick or pocket knife.)

If you carry a mouse gun, what type do you carry, and what ammo do you load it with?

Thank you,
Gene Pool

P.S. Please don't tell the woes of carrying a small caliber. I know them all...and everyone else does too. So, please stick to the subject. Thank you.

SouthernBoyVA
03-04-2012, 07:34
For those times when I find I am left with having to resort to a mouse gun, my choice is something in .380ACP such as my Kel-Tec P3AT or better, my Ruger LCP.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-04-2012, 07:49
Ruger LCP .380 :)

Glock27NY
03-04-2012, 08:06
Bg380 loaded with Gold Dots.. But only as a bug.

Washingtonrebel
03-04-2012, 08:11
Does anyone here besides me carry a "mouse gun" (caliber 25 or 32)? My primary carry gun is a Glock in 357 Sig caliber. However, sometimes I have to resort to a very small handgun, or no handgun at all.

I carry a Beretta 950 in 25 ACP, loaded with a hollow point on the first round, followed by ball. (It's not much, but better than a stick or pocket knife.)

If you carry a mouse gun, what type do you carry, and what ammo do you load it with?

Thank you,
Gene Pool

P.S. Please don't tell the woes of carrying a small caliber. I know them all...and everyone else does too. So, please stick to the subject. Thank you.

I have the same Beretta, I carry it on occasions where I can't /don't have room for something larger. I just use the ball ammo, where did you find the HP's or did you load them yourself?

BK63
03-04-2012, 08:16
380 is the smallest for me these days. Back over 25 years ago when I was younger and didn't have the money my brother gave me a 25 cal. It was better than nothing at the time but as time went on I got up the money for something better. The old 25 still sits in my safe as something to look at but I haven't shot it in 20 years.

4Baldy
03-04-2012, 08:20
KT-3AT all the time in my pocket.

Big Wes
03-04-2012, 14:58
I carry a Seecamp 32 everyday

East River Guide
03-04-2012, 15:55
Kahr P380 or a Keltec P32.

WhiskyRidge
03-04-2012, 16:58
P32 pocket, ankle, or IWB depending on circumstances.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

jdavionic
03-04-2012, 17:02
I carry my LCP quite a bit...sometimes with another, sometimes not, sometimes just a G19, etc.

Gene Pool
03-04-2012, 17:05
I just use the ball ammo, where did you find the HP's or did you load them yourself?

CCI Speer Gold Dot Personal Protection, 23602, 25ACP, 35 Grain, GDHP, 20rds, $16.99

http://www.ammosupply.com/category/921_25_acp_ammunition_ammo.aspx

I also have approximately fifty old 25 ACP hollow point ammo rounds bought about 20 years ago--it has since been discontinued--made with solid brass bullets. It is hyper velocity with bullets lighter than 35 grains. Though for whatever reasons, I have more confidence in the Speer Gold Dot.

Thank you for your question.

Gene

Gene Pool
03-04-2012, 17:09
I carry a Seecamp 32 everyday
I used to have one of those too. But when a pal wanted it so much he offered $600 for it, I let it be his gun. Now I regret letting it be his gun--wish I had it back.:crying:

Gene

Gene Pool
03-04-2012, 17:11
P32 pocket, ankle, or IWB depending on circumstances.

My pastor has one of those. He is very satisfied with it, both in reliability and accuracy.

Thank you for your reply.

Gene

Gene Pool
03-04-2012, 17:28
In the final seconds of your life, just before your killer is about to dispatch you to that great eternal darkness, what would you rather have in your hand? A cell phone or a gun?

I like your signature. It illustrates vividly why my little mouse gun is in my pocket. The thug intent on killing me just might catch eight 25 caliber rounds in the face.

Gene

Gene Pool
03-04-2012, 17:31
BTW, take a look at this demo. It might give you some ideas on more effectively using a small handgun in dire circumstances.

Mouse Guns - YouTube

Gene

Bugler
03-04-2012, 18:20
Years ago I bought a new Seecamp 25acp. Carried in pocket or ankle holster only if I couldn't carry something larger. Still have it but replaced it for ccw with Ruger LCP

collim1
03-04-2012, 18:48
I dont carry one, but I am drawn to the Beretta .32 for some reason, I have always wanted one.

Dandapani
03-04-2012, 18:56
Shoot only ball out of these mouse guns. Penetration is key and they don't have enough umph to push a HP deep enough.

kensteele
03-04-2012, 19:44
380 is the smallest i would go. and that's for a backup glovebox gun.

MilitantBEEMER
03-04-2012, 20:12
Bersa 380 for me as my main gun most of the time. Want to fid a 9mm that fits my hand as well.

Deaf Smith
03-04-2012, 20:35

Gene,

For those hot summer days in Texas many a time I am reduced to packing my S&W 642 .38 with a Kel-Tec P32 as reload/backup.)

No, I won't pack a .25 or even my P32 as primary, but a good J .38/.357 or Ruger SP101 .357 backed by a P32/P3AT/TCP/LCP/etc... would do.

Yes I prefer my sub-compact Glocks (yep, 26,27, and 33, I like 'em all) but some days it gets so hot here in Texas and I sure don't want to look like some idiot wearing a photo-fishing vest like the IDPA/IPSC gang does, in the middle of the summer.

Deaf

RGbiker
03-04-2012, 21:29
For several years, my deep pocket CC mouse gun was a Beretta 21a (Bobcat) in .22lr. Ammo used was high velocity CCI Stinger .32gr JHP or Aquila (Mexican) .40gr solid core Interceptor.

Was replaced last year with Kahr P-380, loaded with Hornady CD JHP.

cjkranz
03-04-2012, 21:38
Sig P238 HD.. I can't say enough about this great little gun!

HeliGlock
03-04-2012, 21:52
Walther PPK in a 380 only as a backup in Ankle Holster.

cloudbuster
03-05-2012, 07:06
BTW, take a look at this demo. It might give you some ideas on more effectively using a small handgun in dire circumstances.

Mouse Guns - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGmwhXgV_xg)

Gene

I almost stopped watching when he started quoting one-shot stop numbers for the .25ACP. Really? (Not that I'm saying .25ACP is great. .25 ACP is arguably the worst-performing of all calibers. Even worse than .22LR in some tests.)

I like the line "...The .25ACP, even in its best caliber, only has a 25% one-shot stop..."

Um, even in its best caliber? Last I checked, he .25ACP only comes in one caliber.

And then he has to keep belaboring the point and misinterpreting statistical averages of a theoretical metric for individual event performance: "That's one in four shots! You'd have to take four shots to the torso to stop an attacker!" Right, yes, four shots. Always. And a 25% one-stop-shot ratio clearly runs on a linear scale. :brickwall: Clearly if we just modified all our mouse guns to shoot four-round bursts, we'd have 100% stops! (Hey, wait, isn't that the rationale people use for the Taurus Judge? Oh lord.)

The video takes nearly every stereotypically misinterpreted interwebs statistic and strings them together. One shot stops ... 21 feet is the maximum distance for self-defense ... two shots to the torso, one to the head ... with a small mouse gun, all the shots to the head! ... Attackers will let you stand three feet away from them and hold still while you maintain your "crumpled" weaver stance and pump your entire magazine into their head.... you can accurately make unsighted headshots from a "crumpled" weaver stance while someone is trying to kill you in hth combat range ...

Is this for real? This guy is totally going to pwn if he ever gets attacked by some very slow-moving cardboard silhouettes.

And a Jennings J-22? And he likes it? Seriously? If you regard any of those Jennings Ring-of-Fire pot metal pieces of crap as worthwhile defensive weapons, even among mouse guns, exactly what gun doesn't meet your standards?

And he's recommending expanding points in .25ACP? For head shots? Really?

Overall, this video was one of the most ludicrous things I've ever watched. I think what makes it worse is that it takes itself so seriously and is delivered with an air of authority by some one who seems never to have had a violent thug in his face.

He claims on other boards, when called to task by law-enforcement officers and others with actual experience, to be addressing this to the casual concealed carry civilian, but the casual shooter is probably the worst target for this technique.

Making an unsighted, angled shot (from chest or lower up to head level), against one of the most mobile, protected parts of the body, under severe stress (being attacked with a deadly weapon, otherwise, why are you shooting?), that's a really, really rough shot to make, even at three feet. It's something you could expect to be able to do successfully only if you practice it extensively.

It's also hard for a lot of people to practice, because most indoor ranges are going to be pretty pissed if they catch you making unsighted extreme-angle shots into their ceiling. Even for outdoor ranges, this technique pretty much mitigates any backstop. There better be nothing beyond your target but wilderness for a good long ways. I could get away with it on my farm, but I assume I'm in an uncommon situation. Trying to do it while moving requires even more available safe background.

If you've never tried it, it's amazing how far off you can be even at three feet with an unsighted hip or chest-level shot -- even a finger twitch can cause you to miss a head-sized target, assuming your sense of the gun's position is good enough to be close to on-target in the first place. And if the target is moving, and you're moving (as you should be) and the BG is either trying to get your gun or shoot you or stab you or swing a club or blade at you? Seriously, forget it.

Torso shots may not be the most effective targets from a mouse gun, but they're all you're likely to get. Even if you hit the head, glancing head shots with a crappy little .22 or .25 are fairly likely to not penetrate and just skate along bone.

A two-handed grip within grappling range leaves you nearly helpless. The attacker doesn't have to actually grab your gun, just push the barrel out of line, or bind the gun against you, causing a FTF.

reniram
03-05-2012, 08:00
deleted

SigFTW
03-05-2012, 08:45
My mouse gun is a Desert Eagle .44 mag. I thought it was too small and stated carrying a Barrett 50 cal, it's just so hard to conceal.:tongueout: Just kidding.

The smallest I carry is a 9mm. And soon I hope, a Kimber 9mm Solo. Just waiting for it to come in. I never thought about carrying anything smaller than a 9mm.

manbearpig
03-06-2012, 14:55
i wonder if the guy you are sizing up will respond to this thread ;). Just kidding.

janice6
03-06-2012, 14:58
I have a Beretta Panther I bought new from the company in Italy in 58, but I don't dare carry it, with my other options. I bet it has 100 rounds through it now......

After you jogged my memory, I dug up the Company tag and Italian tax receipt. Thanks for the memories..

I didn't see, did you say he is called Richard or Dick.......

Veedubklown
03-07-2012, 07:25
a 22 in your pocket is better than a 45 in your nightstand. I'll carry my walther p22 to the grocery store or mail box if I don't want to bother putting on a holster and all that. Thing has like a 9lb DA pull, and it's tiny. Drop it in my strong side front pocket and go.

Only bummer is the safety is backwards from the 1911 and anything else sane. So it's safety off.

SCmasterblaster
03-07-2012, 07:31
My big-bore friends think that my 9mm G17 is a mouse gun . . . . . . . .

SigFTW
03-07-2012, 07:43
My big-bore friends think that my 9mm G17 is a mouse gun . . . . . . . .

:faint:

SCmasterblaster
03-07-2012, 07:48
:supergrin::supergrin::faint: