Canning. Effecencies Best Guides. Meats. Vegies [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Canning. Effecencies Best Guides. Meats. Vegies

dennis3dflyer
03-04-2012, 00:37
What are the best guides for Canning for a total newbie?

If you a city slicker who does NOT GROW HIS OWN , is it better cost effective to just buy canned store bought?

What is the difference between store bought and home canned?

Storage able time difference?

Qualities difference?

I,m sure I"ll have to can some meat as I cannot even find canned beef tenderloin , ground beef, ground pork and chicken, which is what we mostly eat. Protein wise.

Your educated answers

Thanks, Dennis

Akita
03-04-2012, 16:42
Ball Blue Book. Walmart carries them.
There is no second choice; it has everything you need to know.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-04-2012, 17:59
ball blue book. Walmart carries them.
There is no second choice; it has everything you need to know.

absodamlutly.

M1A Shooter
03-04-2012, 18:00
i agree on the ball blue book but i also learned quite a bit from several youtube videos.

for veggies, if you dont grow them, its probably better to just buy them on sale at the grocery store canned. the only other way is if there is a large farmers market in your town and you can get great deals and dont consider much for your time because its a hobby.

i do can lots of meats and that where my canning pays for itself. you need a pressure canner but i can ground beef and chicken breast meat mostly as thats what i eat most. also nice to pressure can beans in pint jars so its much easier for me to have ham and beans for myself, wife doesnt like them so i dont make them often.

bdcochran
03-04-2012, 18:13
If you a city slicker who does NOT GROW HIS OWN , is it better cost effective to just buy canned store bought?

Yes, if, you value your time at zero, are willing to buy in bulk, and have plenty of storage space.

I have 4 fruit trees that bear tropical fruit not found in a grocery store. A fifth tree bears fruit that sells for $7.99 a pound at Ralph's. That fruit is processed and eaten.

One of us may be at home, so it isn't that much effort to run a bread machine to make bread or initially process fruit.