Glock Trigger Option for CCW Use [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Glock Trigger Option for CCW Use

dusty_dragon
03-04-2012, 09:24
i want to improve the trigger of one of my glocks, a gen. 3 G19 with "-"connector already installed, but it got to strike and fire 100% as a CCW.

so i thought changing the firing pin spring to a lighter one is NO option, due to light primer strikes, that's right?

but what about the "-" glock connector (already installed) in combination with a lighter firing pin safety spring (wolff) and a stronger trigger spring (wolff).

will this combination be lighter than the factory setup (i suppose) and on the other hand be 100% reliable (or as reliable as it can be) 'cause i didn't touch the firing pin spring?

barth
03-04-2012, 10:04
i want to improve the trigger of one of my glocks, a gen. 3 G19 with "-"connector already installed, but it got to strike and fire 100% as a CCW.

so i thought changing the firing pin spring to a lighter one is NO option, due to light primer strikes, that's right?

but what about the "-" glock connector (already installed) in combination with a lighter firing pin safety spring (wolff) and a stronger trigger spring (wolff).

will this combination be lighter than the factory setup (i suppose) and on the other hand be 100% reliable (or as reliable as it can be) 'cause i didn't touch the firing pin spring?

The trigger isn't light enough, even with the "-" connector?
Really?
I've got a Ghost Rocket 3.5.
And for carry I wouldn't want it any lighter (it's ~5 lbs).
The Ghost Rocket short reset might be what you're really looking for.
Not a sub 5 lbs trigger on a carry gun.

I run all factory springs myself.
At any rate, I think the striker spring is the kicker when it comes to light primer strikes.

Someone else can chime in and confirm.

robhic
03-04-2012, 10:09
I gotta stick with a big thumbs up for stock. The G19 doesn't come with the 3.5 connector, does it? I assume you changed it yourself. I did the same (to start) but went back to all stock after a while and just stick to that. The 6# trigger spring might not be a bad deal but other than that, I stick with OEM stock. Just IMO....

Fastfordsrus
03-04-2012, 10:14

On my gen 3 17 I have a Ghost Rocket 3.5, 6lb wolf trigger spring and a titanium firing pin safety from Lightning Strike plus the .25 trigger job. I have measured it but I guarantee it is less than 3 lbs and I never changed the striker spring and have never had a failure to fire. On my 34 I have all stock springs and the factory 4.5lb connector, as well as everything is polished(firing pin,ejector, firing pin safety, extractor plunger, trigger bar, connector) and both are extremely smooth and light. In my opinion I would try the wolf trigger spring ($3.00) and I bet it will make you happy with your trigger. (my wife's 26 has everything the same as my 17 as well, good setup)

Jim S.
03-04-2012, 10:31
Everyone thinks they have to lighten their trigger on a Glock.
After you shoot several thousand rounds out of a stock Glock the trigger is no longer a problem.
You get used to the way it feels and in a real life gun fight the trigger is not going to be an issue either.
If this is your carry gun then you should be shooting it a lot.
Practice is important for a carry gun as you will be used to the trigger and everything else about your gun.
Under the stress of trying not to get shot and shooting your weapon you will not be thinking "boy, I wish this trigger was lighter".

Bren
03-04-2012, 10:42
If you make your Glock trigger that light, it will be very difficult to hold it right at the break point while aiming - especially when shooting fast. The result is either firing shots you didn't intend to fire, or using the trigger wrong to begin with and missing a lot.

A light trigger is great for a single action pistol or rifle. For a Glock, not so much.

If you don't know what I mean about holding the trigger at the break point, work on learning to shoot the stock trigger instead of trying to fidn equipment shortcuts for training issues.

harleytech
03-04-2012, 10:43
I agree...! :laughabove:

ballr4lyf
03-04-2012, 10:44
I would not recommend lowering your trigger pull weight on any carry gun. If you really want to do any modification to the trigger pull of a carry gun, it should be to keep it the same weight or increase it. If you lower it and you are involved in a SD situation, you would have just increased your legal bills exponentially. Personally, the only modifications I perform on my carry weapons are sights and/or cosmetics.

That being said, what you may want to look for in a trigger is something similar to the Haley Skimmer available on glocktriggers.com. It does not change the weight of your trigger pull, but instead makes it a cleaner break.

Fastfordsrus
03-04-2012, 11:15
If you make your Glock trigger that light, it will be very difficult to hold it right at the break point while aiming - especially when shooting fast. The result is either firing shots you didn't intend to fire, or using the trigger wrong to begin with and missing a lot.

A light trigger is great for a single action pistol or rifle. For a Glock, not so much.

If you don't know what I mean about holding the trigger at the break point, work on learning to shoot the stock trigger instead of trying to fidn equipment shortcuts for training issues.

I strongly disagree, I have had my 17 with this trigger for over a year and I am extremely accurate as well as it has excellent trigger control. You can still feel exactly where it is going to fire. That being said, the 34 I carry has everything stock in it, but it is polished so it extremely smooth. I would probably recommend doing this instead of everything I did to my 17 as it could become in issue in a SD situation. However I disagree with "staging" the trigger no matter what the weight simply because with added adrenaline there is a higher likely hood of you unknowingly pulling the trigger. I would also disagree with "just putting a couple thousand rounds through it" .25 trigger job works miracles. My wife's 26 was so hard to pull the trigger that she would end up shooting about 4 feet in front of the target. Obviously that is something you can't "get used to".
After .25 job, ghost rocket and titanium safety plunger she can cut holes at 21 feet. It is all in your preference, just remember it MIGHT become an issue.

dakrat
03-04-2012, 11:18
Everyone thinks they have to lighten their trigger on a Glock.

the first thing that gets the blame for poor shooting skills are the trigger and the sights. never the operator. if those two are not sufficient enough, then blame to grip angle

MikeG36
03-04-2012, 11:28

^^Good advice. ^^

I put a Ghost 3.5 connector in my 19 and felt that the pull was too light. I then installed the NY1 module and although the pull has increased, I like the feel of the trigger much better. The over travel seems to have improved as well as the reset. Take up is about the same but with the additional weight behind the trigger it's easier for me to find the sweet spot. This may not work for you but it does for me. The NY 1 module costs about $2 so if you don't like it just throw it in the parts drawer.

As stated by Bren, learning to work the trigger properly in conjunction with grip, stance and breathing will tighten up your groups dramatically.

Good luck!!

Bill Lumberg
03-04-2012, 11:35
Tinkering is fun. For the usage you describe, practice is what you're looking for.

dusty_dragon
03-04-2012, 15:28
in western europe you can get the G19s (and other G-models) with a "-" connector and adjustable rear sights directly from the factory in deutsch-wagram/austria, you can order some more models, or better said, the same models with some more features than you can order from smyrna glock-USA. so my G19 came with "-" connector and adj. rear sights directly shipped from gaston/glock-austria.

i don't want to lighten the trigger more than achieved already with the "-" connector and the heavier trigger spring/lighter safety spring, i just wanted to know if these changes affect the striking force of the firing pin (i assume they don't).

the force of the firing pin shouldn't be affected as long as i don't change the firing pin spring, right?

A Regular Joe
03-04-2012, 16:19
What kind of difference does the titanium firing pin safety make? I've seen several guys mention it.

dusty_dragon
03-04-2012, 16:39
suppose it's more durable and lighter, so engaging/disengaging could be easier.
i personally think, just a ligther FP safety spring will do the job.

Bald Baron
03-04-2012, 17:56
Installing the items you listed will lighten the trigger, but it will also make it feel kind of mushy. I tried it and did not like it. I did get the haley skimmer trigger. It shortens the stoke and gives you a crisp break. Don't let people tell you that you have to fire thousands of rounds to get the feel of the trigger, for the price of that much ammo you could buy a different gun that feels better to you.:wavey:

Patchman
03-04-2012, 18:18
Don't let people tell you that you have to fire thousands of rounds to get the feel of the trigger. For the price of that much ammo you could buy a different gun that feels better to you.:wavey:

Word!

There are so many manufacturers out there who have their own trigger systems. And whose products are just as good as, if not better than, Glocks.

Glocks are not the end-all to handguns.

dusty_dragon
03-04-2012, 18:21
thanks, so i gonna live with the factory setup i suppose

bulletandgrunt
03-04-2012, 18:30
On my G26 I had a Glock armorer put in a 3.5lb connector and change the trigger spring. It pulls at 3.6lbs and I love it. I carry it everyday in an MTAC IWB holster. It's smoother and feels better than stock.

Practice is what you need, regardless of trigger setup. I bought mine new on Dec 26th. I've shot just over 1000 rounds through it. Set it up how you want it, then shoot it and get comfortable with it.

I have yet to see a documented court case regarding justifiable homicide or self defense, where a trigger job has led to the shooter "opening up the wallet for legal bills"

Above all else, practice.