How much do you think you can really top up your fuel tank? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How much do you think you can really top up your fuel tank?

DoctaGlockta
03-04-2012, 14:34
I know that in some vehicles you may damage certain fuel sending units and other components by frequently filling up past certain points. But if in a pinch how much extra fuel do you think you could put in your tank once the nozzle cuts out while filling up?

I tried this recently in my vehicle and put in an extra 4.2 gallons.

FatBoy
03-04-2012, 15:08
even with todays prices I have a hard time getting to the next whole dollar most of the time.

gimmejr
03-04-2012, 15:08
That seems like alot of extra full you were able to put in. Whats the vehicle?

sr975j
03-04-2012, 15:14
yea an extra 4.2 gallons seems a little extreme....i would say you can usually fit a little over a gallon after it stops. But, of course, I'm baying this off of nothing other than a guess.

Sam

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

michael e
03-04-2012, 15:18
I never get more than a 1/2 gallon, now I have put 15.8x in a 16 gallon tank. One time on my bike i put 4.82 in a 4.86 gallon tank.

Dexters
03-04-2012, 15:49
I know that in some vehicles you may damage certain fuel sending units and other components by frequently filling up past certain points. But if in a pinch how much extra fuel do you think you could put in your tank once the nozzle cuts out while filling up?

I tried this recently in my vehicle and put in an extra 4.2 gallons.

Try this next time - don't hold the handle use the on locks at the bottom of the handle and use the slowest setting. I'm guessing the fast filling causes the pump cut off.

Overfilling can saturate your EVAP canister with liquid fuel, and fill your vent and EVAP piping with liquid.

Just_plinking
03-04-2012, 15:58
Try this next time - don't hold the handle use the on locks at the bottom of the handle and use the slowest setting. I'm guessing the fast filling causes the pump cut off.

Overfilling can saturate your EVAP canister with liquid fuel, and fill your vent and EVAP piping with liquid.

^ ditto, identically!

TnGlocker12
03-04-2012, 17:23
[QUOTE=Dexters;18665996]Try this next time - don't hold the handle use the on locks at the bottom of the handle and use the slowest setting. I'm guessing the fast filling causes the pump cut off.

^^^^^^^

This is what I was thinking.

gotplastic
03-04-2012, 17:28
If the pump says you managed to put in 4.2g beyond the tank size, i'd say you got ripped off for paying for about 4.0g you didnt get.

DoctaGlockta
03-04-2012, 17:47
If the pump says you managed to put in 4.2g beyond the tank size, i'd say you got ripped off for paying for about 4.0g you didnt get.

I didn't say beyond tank size. It was beyond where the nozzle shut off at the pump.

Pardoner
03-04-2012, 19:12

+1

I work with a guy who used to do compliance testing and repairs on gas pumps and their tanks. The vapor recovery system on the pumps will severely short you if you are having it click off on you multiple times trying to top off.