Acceptable accuracy for a red dot? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Acceptable accuracy for a red dot?

vart
03-04-2012, 22:57
Took my recently tacti-cooled AR out for a range session today after adding the Midwest Industries handguard and flip up iron sights.

Previously, this rifle had a 3x9 varmint scope on it and could do 1/2" groups at 100 yds even with the horrible factory trigger.

I decided to set the target out to 50 yds and could just barely see the bulls eye with the iron sights.

Got those sighted in and then installed a cheap red dot I've had for a few years; an under $100 BSA that got decent reviews at the time.

At 50 yds, the dot covered the entire bulls eye and I was able to get 1" groups.

Iron sights got the same results... Either my eyes are getting old or I'm at the max for accuracy potential with the current set up...:dunno:

At 25 yds shooting cans, it was very fast and deadly, so I'm happy with the set up. I let my 18 yr old son run some rounds through it on some cans and he hit everything he wanted to, and he hasn't shot a firearm in 3 years... He loved it.

I'm wondering if that kind of accuracy is about right for a non-magnified cheap red dot, or if I should step up to a nicer set up...

I was thinking about finding a tactical-style 4x scope with a normal reticle, but not sure if it's really necessary for home defense and SHTF....

WoodenPlank
03-04-2012, 23:02
If you are getting groups the size of the dot or smaller, then you're good to go. I'm perfectly happy with 2" groups at 50 yards with my SBR, all because my Aimpoint M2 has a 4MOA dot.

If you are looking for a serious HD/SD weapon, seriously consider upgrading to a higher quality optic. My suggestion would be an Aimpoint - legendary battery life, excellent durability, and very user friendly. An Aimpoint PRO (newest generation of the M2 I use) can be had for around $400. Depending on make/model of the actual rifle, and how many rounds have been fired through it, you might also want to consider some minor weapon maintenance and upgrades - replacing gas rings and miscellaneous springs, etc.

janice6
03-04-2012, 23:06
You can buy red dots with smaller dots but cost is the compromise.

It sounds like you're good to go.

vart
03-04-2012, 23:09
My dad and brother both run the Eotechs, but they are cops and had them supplied by the taxpayers...

I will probably have to sell a gun to get a $400+ optic...

MrMurphy
03-04-2012, 23:30
A 2 MOA Aimpoint with a good shooter is capable of 2 MOA easily.

It's a combat optic not a target sight. If your objective is to get a solid chest hit on a silhouette at 0-200m in a hurry, they're great. If you're hunting black bullseyes, well, they'll get hits but not always tight groups.

RatDrall
03-05-2012, 06:14
I was thinking about finding a tactical-style 4x scope with a normal reticle, but not sure if it's really necessary for home defense and SHTF....

I'd rather practice practice practice with iron sights, than rely on a cheap (not inexpensive, but cheap/unreliable) red dot that might lose zero or crap out when needed.

My dad and brother both run the Eotechs, but they are cops and had them supplied by the taxpayers...

I will probably have to sell a gun to get a $400+ optic...

10 years of war in the middle east, using electronic optics, has proven how much faster they make our soldiers when it matters.

You might wish you had sold the extra gun, to finish off the primary rifle, if you ever need to be really really fast with your rifle.

Take a look at the Aimpoint PRO (Patrol Rifle Optic). They used to be restricted (not by law, by marketing) to law enforcement and military, but are now available to all for $410 or so. It has a 2 MOA sight and 30,000 hour battery life.

RJHUB
03-05-2012, 09:26
Got my first EOTECH a few weeks ago.
Sighted in at 50yds. Took only three 2 shot groups to get in 1in bullseye.
Then shot a 3 shot group at new target.
1st shot dead center, next 2 touching and about 1/2" above 1st hole.
I was really surprised how well it worked.
It has a 1moa dot inside a 65moa circle.
I will shoot it sometime this week at the 100m lane if I get a chance. They are having LE competition this week.

Very fast on target when shooting and moving.

HDRider2002
03-07-2012, 18:36
I second the aimpoint PRO. Love mine and have no issue hitting a paper plate standing at 100 yds with it

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Travclem
03-08-2012, 11:54
I can get 1" groups at 100yds with my EoTech on my RRA AR using both 75gr TAP and 55gr TRU.