Has the Walking Dead affected/effected your preparedness? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Has the Walking Dead affected/effected your preparedness?

coleslaw
03-04-2012, 22:12
Tonight's past episode has me seriously considering taking the cash I was saving for a down payment and using some of it to buy a AR15... Changing my loadout from a pistol shotgun combo to a pistol AR combo. I don't beleive in Zombies and no matter the situation, I know my 870 can get the job done within 50 yards and within 25 yards... Lets just say I'm a surgeon with the 870.

But the show is finally exposing the realism of issues such as running out of ammo and a large gang with big guns that murder, rape, steal and scavenge posing a threat in the area that you and your group/family is in. This is where I can see the rifle shine, high round count, alot of firepower between reloads, ability to carry more ammo, and most important of all... keeping distance between me/us and them.

Or maybe I'm just being silly and watch to much TV... or maybe I need to find a buddy with a AR and couple up with them. Anyway has this show changed your preparedness?

20South
03-04-2012, 22:20
Every house needs an AR or an AK.

Just my .02.

Chowser
03-04-2012, 22:22
yes. i am currently a seven pistol, one shotgun, two rifle, one katana family of four. the show tells me i need to add some more rifles and 1000 rds of each caliber is not enough to keep in stock.
:-p

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

shamrockmusic
03-04-2012, 22:30
well, i have a gun that fits every person in my house and what they can handle. wife has a g26& a 870 20 gauge, i carry the g23&g17c with my 870 12 gauge. ak for long range. my son is a newborn so we have a warning sirin!!!!! o and 2 olde english bulldog and doberman mix dogs for baby protection. there is a good loadout for anyone in need of a zombie loadout.

my house is protected by the 2 G's
God, and a glock
break in and you will meet them both!!

JK-linux
03-04-2012, 22:30
Thing's I've considered since they are on the road and essentially "bugged out"... They'd be at Ft. Benning by now if the RV hadn't kept crapping out. I'd definitely consider stocking more repair and replacement parts for mechanical items I already own. Also, some spare clothes to just "wear around camp" in my bug out would be good as well. I'd forget to bring some if I had only a short time to bug out. The cast of the show is looking pretty ripe to me. I'd imagine one wouldn't be doing one's self or family any favors on the road with a ton of ammo and one pair of sweaty, smelly, bacteria ridden, ripped up pair of clothes. Also, plenty of toothpaste. Stress gritting teeth, bad food and the like is hell on your teeth. You be living close to the lifestyle of a meth addict, minus the meth. Toothpaste would be good.

coleslaw
03-04-2012, 22:31

Just my .02.

I can get a AK47 cheaper than a AR right? I am working the midnight shift but I am seriously thinking about going as soon as I get off and buying a basic plain Jane YET good quality rifle. I have 1100 to spend. It will clean out my down payment fund but I think my 08 F150 will be running for a while... New car can wait.

Lone Kimono
03-04-2012, 22:35
Good luck finding an AK right now.

coleslaw
03-04-2012, 22:50

Well AR it is. I'm not real big into the super duper tactical so I'm thinking maybe a basic Bushmaster. Only thing I'd like is a A3 type upper and a picitanny handguard.

Someone else had mentioned something about 1000+ rounds of ammo. I might get a well made duffle bag and stuff it with ammo, to go along with my bug out bag and firearm bag.

Javelin
03-04-2012, 22:55
Yes. I got another Noveske 300BLK SBR......

:whistling:

racerford
03-04-2012, 23:04
Get a strong duffel, 1000 rounds of .223. It also could be uncomfortable banging against your side (should strap) or against your back (backpack). You might consider repacking the ammo. Boxes can be pokey.

vtbluegrass
03-04-2012, 23:10
You can get one of several AR's for under 700 bucks right now I got a Del-ton thats never given me a bit of trouble. Buy good mag(I like p-mags) and ammo and you are done.

Lone Kimono
03-04-2012, 23:12
Well AR it is. I'm not real big into the super duper tactical so I'm thinking maybe a basic Bushmaster. Only thing I'd like is a A3 type upper and a picitanny handguard.

Someone else had mentioned something about 1000+ rounds of ammo. I might get a well made duffle bag and stuff it with ammo, to go along with my bug out bag and firearm bag.
Sorry, didn't mean to turn you off from them. For some reason they just seem hard to find right now. I heard there are more shipments of Saigas coming in...problem is knowing when. Could be next week could be the summer. FYI I'm not sure if the new ones will have the scope rail on the side.

As far as the price...converted Saiga will run you in the $550-600 range. No idea what the WASR prices are right now, but they were $450-$500 last time I looked.

cowboy1964
03-04-2012, 23:17
A shotgun is great but a rifle (carbine) is an absolute requirement, IMO. Wars are fought with rifles for a reason.

coleslaw
03-04-2012, 23:33
A shotgun is great but a rifle (carbine) is an absolute requirement, IMO. Wars are fought with rifles for a reason.

Yes sir.

My girlfriend and I was watching the episode tonight (we watch the show religously), and she asked "What would you do if you was the leader of the group and you had a gang or small army of murderers and rapists heading your way"... Well they say "Hope for the best prepare for the worst" and that's when I realized I'm not prepared for the worst, I'm prepared for "Hope"... Hope that the government will still be established after a emergency. Hope that the Red Cross will provide food and shelter. Hope that just my handgun and a several mags will do fine for me and the ones I protect.

I know the AR is not the absolute most essential item to survive but it sure does make dealing with issues ALOT easier than what I already have.

LASTRESORT20
03-04-2012, 23:38
I personally "like" the bolt action Rifles 30-06 & 308 variety with a good Scope...along with a great pump shotgun.......dont care to be around many fire-fights.

~ "I know my 870 can get the job done" ~

Bolster
03-05-2012, 00:06
Question: Has the Walking Dead affected/effected your preparedness?

Not in the least.

Hollywood is not my guide to prepping.

I study actual (historical) survival events instead. I'm fond of reality.

TangoFoxtrot
03-05-2012, 04:28
I agree! Real life is not Hollywood movie.

20South
03-05-2012, 06:55
I can get a AK47 cheaper than a AR right? I am working the midnight shift but I am seriously thinking about going as soon as I get off and buying a basic plain Jane YET good quality rifle. I have 1100 to spend. It will clean out my down payment fund but I think my 08 F150 will be running for a while... New car can wait.

Don't just look at retail, shop the classifieds here at GT and other sites as well. They pop up from time to time and you may get one FTF. For 600-700 you should be able to get into an AK and your 1000 rounds pretty handily.

Taphius
03-05-2012, 07:00
The converted saiga from classic arms for 499 right now seems pretty good.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

kirgi08
03-05-2012, 08:24
Information,be it h/wood or the net is useful.How many here have seen real "Ideas" they wouldn't of thought of.'08.

Bolster
03-05-2012, 08:56
Focusing on improbable events, fake scenarios, and unrealistic ideas can lead people to prep for the wrong threats. Hollywood shows are not "information."

If Hollywood wanted to get us thinking about realistic situations, they'd have a show on post-nuclear survival, after an Iranian nuke goes off. Or the next Katrina. Or a depiction of the riots that might occur if BO isn't re-elected. But Hollywood wouldn't touch those subjects...politically incorrect. Instead we get "zombies." Pfft.

I'm not a fan of fantasy-based prepping. However, I am a fan of reading (or viewing accurate recreations of) historical survival events and social disruptions.

kirgi08
03-05-2012, 09:15
RV/vehicle preps come readily ta mind.'08.

Glockdude1
03-05-2012, 09:17

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/category.aspx?cid=90

AK47 or 74??

:cool:

20South
03-05-2012, 10:31
I'm not a fan of fantasy-based prepping. However, I am a fan of reading (or viewing accurate recreations of) historical survival events and social disruptions.

Bolster I think this is really good. Do you have any recommendations for a "must read" list. I have spent a lot of time in books like "Road to Serfdom" and Great Depression Era reads but also use a lot of the fantasy/fiction for critical thinking as well. Thoughts?

arclight610
03-05-2012, 10:44
The way I see it, a rifle can cover the role of a shotgun (except for bird hunting). Shotguns are the undisputed king of close range lethality. However, taking a 5.56 round to the chest from 50 yds would almost certainly be lethal as well. The shotgun just has better close-range hit probability.

You can carry 3-4 rds of .223 for every shotgun shell and the average pump shotgun only affords you 8rds max. If I had to choose only 1 long gun, it would be a service-rifle.

shotgunred
03-05-2012, 10:52
A shotgun with slugs and a red dot will shoot accurately out to way more than self defense range. If you want a new gun then buy a new gun. But an Ak or Ar is not going to be a lot better than a 12 gauge in real world self defense.
If you don't think a shotgun can be reloaded fast enough you should youtube some three gun matches.

Here is a place were you can get a reasonable priced descent quality red dot.
https://www.primaryarms.com/Primary_Arms_s/586.htm

TactiCool
03-05-2012, 11:18
For me, it is more practical to have an AK. Number one reason is the reliability. The second reason is that an ak with a folding stock is about 26" folded and can be stored and transported inconspicuously in a backpack, duffel bag, or guitar case and is deployable in seconds. This way, one can be well protected and not be suspicious when on the move. It also serves well in Katrina type situations where illegal gun confiscations are occuring, and one needs to avoid seizure. Third, the 7.62 round is better for close range protection and defeating barriers like vehicle doors than the 5.56 is.

It is not possible to transport a 16-20" barreled AR discretely without breaking it down (SBR's aside), thus making it useless in situations that require deploying a long gun immediately. Also, the reliability of the AR is suspect and one may not be in a situation to clean it/ replace parts, etc. I also feel that the arguement about 5.56 being more available stateside is a myth. In Katrina, it was a 'run-what-ya-brung' scenario and there was not alot of 5.56 available, or any ammo for that matter.

For strictly home defense though, the AR accuracy and range is hard to beat. 5.56 is also lighter than 7.62 so more can be carried. Personally, just to cover all situations, I'd keep both an AK and an AR (I'm starting to build one myself).

Kieller
03-05-2012, 11:19
Question: Has the Walking Dead affected/effected your preparedness?

Not in the least.

Hollywood is not my guide to prepping.

I study actual (historical) survival events instead. I'm fond of reality.

Very true, hollywood is entertainment and not really factual.

However, I agree with Kirgi that the situations they depict can stir up some ideas and get you thinking in another direction you never thought of. His example was vehicle preps. I haven't added anything personally to my vehicles but the show did make me want to put a siphon hose into the truck. I could see that being used in many situations and not just when Zs attack.

One thing I have seen on the show and it has gotten me thinking about is how people interact when under extreme pressure. Stress can and will magnify personality traits and even bring out the darker side of folks. Knowing more on how to handle/treat stress could be invaluable.

Sure I realize that the show is ficticious but that doesn't mean you can't find some gems in the show. If anything, its hilarious to watch it with my wife because she loves telling me why she wouldn't do what the characters are doing. It also causes her to ask a lot of good questions on how we would deal with certain situations, not Z situations.

Bolster
03-05-2012, 11:34
OK, I hear you, good points, but about conflict...

I hope people understand that the massive amounts of conflict depicted among the group in TWD, are part of the standard hollywood formula of amplifying conflict--because conflict drives viewership. (Every reality show actor is told "have as much conflict as possible." It's fake conflict but ppl will watch if there's enough of it.)

When you read actual accounts of groups in survival situations, people generally go out of their way to avoid conflict with each other. One of the most conflict-ridden survival stories of our time is the Soccer Team Andes Plane Wreck survivors, who really did not get along with each other--yet you read that, and the conflict is mild at best, amounting to complaining and malingering and at its worst, people refusing to talk to each other for a few hours. No fights. No real arguments, even. And a lot of comraderie, cooperation, and sacrifice despite their personal dislikes.

My concern is that people may be arriving at exactly the wrong conclusions from watching shows whose purpose is to gain viewership, not to depict reality.

Reality preppers spend most of their time thinking about food, water and shelter. Fantasy preppers spend most of their time thinking about guns, due to the amplified conflict component we're fed from Hollywood.

Yes, I'll grant a tidbit of prep info comes across occasionally. I'm not immune either, I'd love to get a crossbow, which would probably be a really nonessential piece of gear. I'll be sitting in the cold with no water, but dammit, I'll have a crossbow like the one on TWD.

Bolster
03-05-2012, 11:46
Bolster I think this is really good. Do you have any recommendations for a "must read" list...

The book "The Greatest Survival Stories Ever Told" has excerpts from lots of historical sources, and you can expand from there by getting the original sources. (It also has some fictional accounts thrown in, but they are of the Jack London sort which stick pretty closely to reality.) Edited by Lamar Underwood.

Obviously Hollywood will occasionally do something closer to reality (like Alive), but the fantasy-based stuff like TWD is counterproductive IMO. You will be struck by how different actual survival is, from what Hollywood depicts.

Hollywood survival is exciting, sexy, heroic, and makes you wish you were there. Real survival is lonely, endurance, dull, depressing, cold, wet, and thirsty. I really can't think of a worse basis for prepping than fantasy-based Hollywood depictions...unless it's no prepping at all.

kirgi08
03-05-2012, 12:30
OK, but I hope people understand that the massive amounts of conflict depicted among the group in TWD, are part of the standard hollywood formula of amplifying conflict--because conflict drives viewership. (Every reality show actor is told "have as much conflict as possible." It's fake conflict.)

Actually,no it's not.The conflicts being raised are based on ones world view.

When you read actual accounts of groups in survival situations, people generally go out of their way to avoid conflict with each other. One of the most conflict-ridden survival stories of our time is the Soccer Team Andes Plane Wreck survivors, who really did not get along with each other--yet you read that, and the conflict is mild at best, amounting to complaining and malingering and at its worst, people refusing to talk to each other for a few hours. No fights. No real arguments, even.

Your loosing the time frame,the above happened when? History is a great teacher as long as you can quantify results.Back then comms were null and void.Now if a plane goes down,the black box is set up global.Sats have changed SAR worldwide.

My concern is that people may be arriving at exactly the wrong conclusions from watching shows whose purpose is to gain viewership, not to depict reality.

Them their above are ASSUMING,that has nothing ta do with reality.The info is out there,do the work.

Yes, I'll grant a tidbit of prep info comes across occasionally. I'm not immune either, I'd love to get a crossbow, which would probably be a really nonessential piece of gear. I'll be sitting in the cold with no water, but dammit, I'll have a crossbow like the one on TWD.

We have 18 crossbows with the cords ta feed and the bolts ta fire,also slingshots with the means ta use them both long term.A closed mind goes nowhere,the sun gonna rise tomorrow,"yep","why" "it's always done it before","does" it mean It'll do it again.Your answer will be yes,"why he says" "It's always done it before",does that mean "It"ll do it again".

When one takes something for granted,they assume it's perpetual.Well folk life don't work like that.Sunrise/set ect.

Folk that claim this is written in stone good luck.'08.

Javelin
03-05-2012, 13:26
The converted saiga from classic arms for 499 right now seems pretty good.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using Tapatalk

They look like they are $799...

http://classicarms.us/shotguns%20and%20handguns.htm

:wavey:

Akita
03-05-2012, 16:54
Has the Walking Dead affected/effected your preparedness?
No. I have yet to watch it.

random southpaw
03-05-2012, 17:23
As much as I am drawn towards all thing zombie, The Walking Dead is a soap opera with the zombie element woven into the plot.

I see the show as accomplishing two things for me:

(1) it is entertainment

(2) it provides me with my quota/ration of zombie material

jellis11
03-05-2012, 17:32
I might get a well made duffle bag and stuff it with ammo, to go along with my bug out bag and firearm bag.

I'm not into zombies taking over and all that stuff, but I do live on an island off SC and hurricanes are big here. I used to pack everything in totes but have switched to good duffle bags. Like big waterproof hockey bags. Totes are good, but you might need your hands or need to cram it someplace and a tote won't work. Just wanted to say, good idea.

Commander_Zero
03-05-2012, 22:08
Need more crossbow bolts...........

coleslaw
03-05-2012, 22:59
Reality preppers spend most of their time thinking about food, water and shelter. Fantasy preppers spend most of their time thinking about guns, due to the amplified conflict component we're fed from Hollywood.

I guess this is why Doomsday preppers is such a popular show right now. Would you say that all those people are fantasy preppers too? Almost every episode is someone storing up as much ammo and guns as rice.

To your earlier comments, you are obviously very wise about these situations and I thank you for sharing. I hope to learn more because I do want to be prepared the best I can. Like I said earlier, I don't beleive in Zombies (although the CDC did publish a Zombie guide)... I beleive in people, especially Americans, resulting in volience, anger, and lawless behavior once the SHTF. I understand what you're saying about avoiding conflict, that's what I plan to do in a SHTF situation but I can remember watching the LA riots as a kid, watching Katrina as a teenager and the rolling blackouts in major cities and the common theme seemed to be lawlessness.

And I just want to be clear to anyone offended by my "especiallly Americans" comment. Before you get offended let me say I dreamt of serving my country and did when I left high school, I love this country. I'm not anti-American BUT I don't have that much faith in the American people after seeing what happens when a few building blocks of our gov't gets pulled out from under us.

wjv
03-05-2012, 23:33

No!

lawman800
03-05-2012, 23:49
Don't stop at one AR. I had one forever and all of a sudden, it blossomed to 6 complete AR's and a few unbuilt lowers.

Bilbo Bagins
03-06-2012, 06:48
How did the Walking Dead effect my preps?

Ummm in no way, shape, or form. It is a Zombie TV show, and its not even that realistic.

However getting to the OP's initial post about dropping a shotgun and getting an AR for the "Zombies" , we had a long winded thread a few months back regarding Shotgun v AR, and it may answer some questions.

http://www.glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1391403&highlight=Shotgun

Glockdude1
03-06-2012, 06:53
http://allknife.com/images/magick_cache/pgroup_2_image_240x240__shadow.jpg

After the last episode using the knives, I want another Glock knife.

lawman800
03-06-2012, 08:12
I am going to run to the nearest farm to find me a farmer's daughter and also getting me a pocket watch.

The Wizard
03-06-2012, 11:13
Never felt comfortable with the 5.56. Nothing lest than 7.62 for me.

pugman
03-06-2012, 11:27
If The Walking Dead has shown anything...

A suppressor could be a really good idea

The ability to weld an arm's length weapon (or at the very least carry one) seems practical. These guys using 3" blades to stab a zombie in the head are fools (and obviously its Hollywood). That close to an infected person's head and all they need is a blink of an eye to turn their head and Chomp! Baseball bats, a pickax...a machette (where did all those Gerber blades go?). One on one I'm thinking a nice 5-6' spear would penetrate well.

Why is no one thinking of getting their hands on a .22LR and at least test its effectiveness. Sure a 5.56 or 7.62 is great...but all you need to do is destroy the brain not blow their heads off.

If this show has shown anything...people can get very complacent. Sit down meals, laundry hanging outside...these guys are acting like its a camping trip?

If any group wanted to take these guys out...set up a nice small listening post....watch their activities for a day or two...see they are prone to wandering off alone.

I could take their camp and house with a troop of drunk girl scouts and a few sticks

kirgi08
03-06-2012, 11:28
Shot placement,I got 10 ta 1 in these calibers.A 7.62 rocks it hits hard,however a .556 will make folk just as dead.'08.

sebecman
03-06-2012, 11:49
No. I have yet to watch it.

^ ditto.

Bilbo Bagins
03-07-2012, 12:39
I am going to run to the nearest farm to find me a farmer's daughter and also getting me a pocket watch.

I found that whole scene funny.

It was almost like Hershel was saying, " I know you are banging my daughter, and since you will eventually get her pregnant, here is a family heirloom."

:dunno:

lawman800
03-08-2012, 01:16
I found that whole scene funny.

It was almost like Hershel was saying, " I know you are banging my daughter, and since you will eventually get her pregnant, here is a family heirloom."

:dunno:

It was almost like they are trying to make up for the stupid scene where she confesses her love for Glenn and Glenn cannot make any sense trying to say why he can't love her back.

That was about as incoherent as anything I have heard from Hollywood... that he froze because he thought of her and he can't do this and that... I was like... just make Glenn come out of the closet already and have him make a move on Shane. It would make a lot more sense... or just kill him off like they did Dale.

TangoFoxtrot
03-08-2012, 04:51
Once again absolutely not.

Bren
03-08-2012, 05:16
On my preparedness checklist, I added: "If walking through a solid city block of dead soldiers, with weapons and ammo laying everywhere - PICK SOME UP!"

wjv
03-08-2012, 11:45
Watch the movie "The Trigger Effect" (1996) and then DO the OPPOSITE of everything they did. . .

runcible68
03-08-2012, 15:12
I don't beleive in Zombies and no matter the situation...

Don't be so quick to underestimate the threat zombies pose. It could happen! (http://www.cracked.com/article_15643_5-scientific-reasons-zombie-apocalypse-could-actually-happen.html) :)

But since the odds of a necrotic mailman trying to eat me is so remote, I'd say no, The Walking Dead has not affected my preps. Good show though.

Now I can't wait for Rick and his group to run into that gang of thirty guys with "heavy weapons" who are out there waiting for them. I'm pretty sure those guys are from Glock Talk.

Linh40
03-08-2012, 16:06
If hollywood was my guide then I would have the cast of "Acts of Valor" part of my team. Or rather hopefully they'll allow me to bug out with them.

Other than that most of hollywood is a joke.

Though I really like "Man Woman Wild", it has stuff I can learn from.

RMTactical
03-08-2012, 16:16

Just my .02.

+1

You need a high capacity rifle in a common caliber. Every man should.

The Shotgun is an excellent weapon, very versatile and powerful. However, it's low capacity, longer follow up between shots, longer reloading time, and shorter range are hinderances that I cannot deal with as a primary long gun. It's also not gonna defeat handgun rated body armor.

I love what the shotgun brings to a fight, especially in short range vs lesser prepared individuals and small groups.

quake
03-08-2012, 16:47
Watch the movie "The Trigger Effect" (1996) and then DO the OPPOSITE of everything they did. . .

No doubt.

Thought processes such as "I'll help out during this emergency by throwing our only box of shotgun shells into the swimming pool overnight." :rofl:

It was hard to root for anybody in that movie.

wjv
03-08-2012, 16:56
Thought processes such as

Or: We have a baby. Don't have a clue what's going on. Don't have much gas. But we're going to hop into the car and drive to grandmas house (or was it an aunts house) 500 miles away, leaving everything behind.

I also love how you don't see a single cop throughout the entire movie. . Then at the very end, when the neighbor shoots the guy with the knife, the cops are there in 60 seconds. . .

Curio Bill
03-31-2012, 10:02
I has made me want a Python again (But I still can't afford one any more than I could before...)

lawman800
03-31-2012, 11:00
I thought Rick used a 686?

Glockdude1
03-31-2012, 11:23
I thought Rick used a 686?

http://www.myzombiegear.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/colt-python.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111027153443/walkingdead/images/0/0a/Rick_Grimes_With_His_Colt_Python,_4.jpg
Colt Python

lawman800
03-31-2012, 11:34
Woot! I has my own Colt Python! Beautiful shooting gun too.

BTW, did anyone else think the hooded stranger with the 2 zombie followers make no sense? Why would they just stay put behind her with those chains? Wouldn't they still be trying to bite her even though they don't have lower jaws? The zombies wouldn't know any better. They would just keep rubbing their upper jaw teeth against her somewhere thinking they are biting her and eventually, maybe they will rub her skin raw and get the germs in there. They wouldn't just nicely stay behind her. They would keep bumping into her and trip her up.

DScottHewitt
03-31-2012, 11:51
Tonight's past episode has me seriously considering taking the cash I was saving for a down payment and using some of it to buy a AR15... Changing my loadout from a pistol shotgun combo to a pistol AR combo. I don't beleive in Zombies and no matter the situation, I know my 870 can get the job done within 50 yards and within 25 yards... Lets just say I'm a surgeon with the 870.

But the show is finally exposing the realism of issues such as running out of ammo and a large gang with big guns that murder, rape, steal and scavenge posing a threat in the area that you and your group/family is in. This is where I can see the rifle shine, high round count, alot of firepower between reloads, ability to carry more ammo, and most important of all... keeping distance between me/us and them.

Or maybe I'm just being silly and watch to much TV... or maybe I need to find a buddy with a AR and couple up with them. Anyway has this show changed your preparedness?

Made me feel good about my prep level. I got them people in that show buried.

cowboy1964
03-31-2012, 13:29
Everyone should have a rifle. A shotgun is a "good to have" so having both would be great but if you can only have one, have the rifle.

It really was silly in The Walking Dead for them to be using a pump and bolt action all this time, given all the military and police hardware and ammo that they came across.

DScottHewitt
03-31-2012, 13:51
Woot! I has my own Colt Python! Beautiful shooting gun too.

BTW, did anyone else think the hooded stranger with the 2 zombie followers make no sense? Why would they just stay put behind her with those chains? Wouldn't they still be trying to bite her even though they don't have lower jaws? The zombies wouldn't know any better. They would just keep rubbing their upper jaw teeth against her somewhere thinking they are biting her and eventually, maybe they will rub her skin raw and get the germs in there. They wouldn't just nicely stay behind her. They would keep bumping into her and trip her up.

She's a character from the graphic serial:

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Michonne_%28Comic_Series%29

DScottHewitt
03-31-2012, 13:52
Everyone should have a rifle. A shotgun is a "good to have" so having both would be great but if you can only have one, have the rifle.

It really was silly in The Walking Dead for them to be using a pump all this time, given all the military hardware and ammo that they came across.

The first rule of survival is one any video gamer can tell you:

"When you come across a better weapon and ammo, pick it up!"

Quigley
05-20-2012, 15:15
Don't know where you all have been looking but there are still plenty of AKs at all the gun shows around here.

lawman800
05-20-2012, 23:32
She's a character from the graphic serial:

http://walkingdead.wikia.com/wiki/Michonne_%28Comic_Series%29

Yeah, I know... I read the backstory on the character about how she was some white collar office worker who came home and found her boyfriend turned into a zombie and she couldn't kill him and so she did the surgery on him and another zombie after she noticed zombies don't attack each other... but still, like I said, why wouldn't those 2 armless jawless zombies just keep bumping against her and nubbing her with their upper jaw?

Snaps
05-21-2012, 00:41
nope, the Marine Corps has pretty much engrained into me what i need to do weapons wise. Don't see that changing..

Walking dead and stuf like that seems to reinforce what I've already thought

lawman800
05-21-2012, 00:54
nope, the Marine Corps has pretty much engrained into me what i need to do weapons wise.

Blow everything up first and then blow up anything that lived through it and then send in the infantry to shoot whatever is left and then shoot it again to make sure?:supergrin:

Snaps
05-21-2012, 00:58
Wall of lead sir....

<----- Grunt turned armorer. :)

TangoFoxtrot
05-21-2012, 05:02
An AR in any household arsonal is a good move. Along with at least 2,000 rds minimum.

eracer
05-21-2012, 05:27
Good luck finding an AK right now.So it's a good time to sell mine?

eracer
05-21-2012, 05:31
If any group wanted to take these guys out...set up a nice small listening post....watch their activities for a day or two...see they are prone to wandering off alone.

I could take their camp and house with a troop of drunk girl scouts and a few sticksThis is one of the criticisms of the show that I can't figure out.

These are ordinary people, who lived ordinary lives. They have been thrust into a very out of the ordinary situation. Of course they don't act like mountain men, or Army Rangers, or even a well-organized boy scout troop.

That's the whole point of the show.

lawman800
05-21-2012, 07:45
This is one of the criticisms of the show that I can't figure out.

These are ordinary people, who lived ordinary lives. They have been thrust into a very out of the ordinary situation. Of course they don't act like mountain men, or Army Rangers, or even a well-organized boy scout troop.

That's the whole point of the show.

You kidding me? Any good show knows that to make any sense, your average suburban doofus immediately becomes Mega Rambo RoboCop Predator overnight when SHTF.

That's the only way it makes sense... like any movie where the normal protagonist all of a sudden knows every martial art and is able to take on a whole platoon of baddies with punches, kicks, and a pump shotgun that puts out 37 rounds without reloading and hits people from 100 yards away with birdshot.

Bilbo Bagins
05-21-2012, 07:46

So if my wife throws my shotgun in the pool when the SHTF, I should NOT let her live :rofl:

Quigley
05-21-2012, 11:40
You kidding me? Any good show knows that to make any sense, your average suburban doofus immediately becomes Mega Rambo RoboCop Predator overnight when SHTF.

That's the only way it makes sense... like any movie where the normal protagonist all of a sudden knows every martial art and is able to take on a whole platoon of baddies with punches, kicks, and a pump shotgun that puts out 37 rounds without reloading and hits people from 100 yards away with birdshot.

I take it that you've never seen the show. The only two people that know anything are the sheriff and his deputy, who is also a firearms instructor. There is one country boy in the group that is good at hunting and what not but other than that everyone, especially in the beginning sucks with weapons and firearms.

But go on spouting nonsense with absolutely no idea what you are talking about, troll.

kirgi08
05-21-2012, 13:51
Be gentle,my friend.'08.

lawman800
05-21-2012, 18:23
I take it that you've never seen the show. The only two people that know anything are the sheriff and his deputy, who is also a firearms instructor. There is one country boy in the group that is good at hunting and what not but other than that everyone, especially in the beginning sucks with weapons and firearms.

But go on spouting nonsense with absolutely no idea what you are talking about, troll.

Okay, as I have seen some of your other lucid and cogent posts, I will assume you are on some type of medication or off your regular medication when you typed this.

I didn't realize the hyperboles used in my post were not enough to convey the sarcasm and that the outright absurdity of the statement will make it obvious to all readers that it was a joke.

I apologize for not spelling it all out in plain English and causing you all the undue pain and anguish. In the future, I will make everything easy for you by remembering to talk to you as if I was speaking to 3rd graders.

Friends?

eracer
05-22-2012, 06:45

Well, to be fair, they did have the pump shotgun with the 250-round tube in the last episode.

I love the show, but I REALLY wish they would have done a better job with the guns.

I get the "Ignore suppressors and area denial weapons because it would detract from the drama." But Glocks with safeties, .357 Magnums with zero recoil, shotguns with seemingly unlimited magazine capacity?

Drove me nuts on an almost weekly basis (at least when I wasn't fantasizing about doing Maggie in the barn with the walkers.)

lawman800
05-22-2012, 08:08
(at least when I wasn't fantasizing about doing Maggie in the barn with the walkers.)

Wait... was that... doing Maggie "in the barn with the walkers" or "doing Maggie with the walkers" in the barn?:supergrin::wow::crying::tongueout:

Oh, not only do they have those endless round shotguns, they were able to just drive and ride around the perimeter all day and night and hit walking targets in the head while bouncing around in a car or on a motorcycle. No fatigue involved. It's like endless skeet for Glen!

DrSticky
05-23-2012, 10:40
I don't beleive in Zombies and no matter the situation....

Do you deny the fact that dead people voted in the last election? Sounds like Zombies to me.

lawman800
05-24-2012, 01:09
Do you deny the fact that dead people voted in the last election? Sounds like Zombies to me.

Dead people voted early and often in 2008 and they will rise up and do it in greater numbers this 2012 election.

We need to marshal our forces and fight!

Quigley
05-24-2012, 05:34
Okay, as I have seen some of your other lucid and cogent posts, I will assume you are on some type of medication or off your regular medication when you typed this.

I didn't realize the hyperboles used in my post were not enough to convey the sarcasm and that the outright absurdity of the statement will make it obvious to all readers that it was a joke.

I apologize for not spelling it all out in plain English and causing you all the undue pain and anguish. In the future, I will make everything easy for you by remembering to talk to you as if I was speaking to 3rd graders.

Friends?

Friends? What are those? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm just a loser who sits in my mother's basement and plays World of War craft or whatever the cool new RPG is.

Oh and what is sex too by the way? I hear people talking about it online sometimes but have always been to embarrassed to ask. Please inform me so that I can feel a little more in the loop. Thanks

lawman800
05-24-2012, 09:27
Friends? What are those? I've never heard of such a thing. I'm just a loser who sits in my mother's basement and plays World of War craft or whatever the cool new RPG is.

Oh and what is sex too by the way? I hear people talking about it online sometimes but have always been to embarrassed to ask. Please inform me so that I can feel a little more in the loop. Thanks

At this point... I can play along and string this out for our mutual amusement, but to the detriment of the rest of the readership... or I can call it and just say it.

The easiest thing was to just say you misread my post and thought I was serious when I was only joking. How would you know that I have watched every season, DVR'ed all the episodes, read the graphic novel, and even read the pre-quel which was published 2 months ago in a magazine? You couldn't have. So you didn't know and thought I know nothing about the show. It happens.

Not sure if anyone plays WoW, it seems like SkyRim is the new thing, judging from all the recommendations on YouTube.

As for sex... well, son... that's going to take a little longer to explain... maybe if you have cable, we can talk after you spend a few nights watching Cinemax from 10pm to 3am.

Stupid
05-24-2012, 21:32
I have been saying this for years but nobody listened.

Many love their shotguns more than their children.