Safe storing in vehicle? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Safe storing in vehicle?

JGulley317
03-05-2012, 03:03
I was curious about how other GT members keep their handguns in their car when they can't take it in with them? In my case, the only place I can't take it into is work. Everywhere else I don't have a problem.

In my situation it takes less then 5 minutes to get to work. I ask myself, is it worth it for the 5 minute drive to work only to leave it in the car while there? But then the gun owner in me says carry everywhere you go, even to work. I don't mind keeping it in my car as long as it's locked up good.

I drive a car. I'd like it under the passenger seat in a locked box with a cable around the seat so I can take it off in the car so no one sees while leaving it in the car. Though the benefit to putting it in the trunk is you need a key to get the the trunk. For some reason the lever to the left of the seat doesn't work. So if it was in the trunk it would be most safe there. Though I'd have to take it off while potentially being in front of someone. Either way, it'd be in a locked box with a cable around something.

Which spot would you recommend, under passenger seat or in trunk? Why?

What storage boxes do you recommend? Do you have it?

Thanks, Gulley

Arc Angel
03-05-2012, 03:58
You have my sympathies; AND you do have a problem!

I'll tell you what the Sheriff's Deputy told me when he handed me my permit: 'Don't leave your gun in your vehicle.' When I asked him, 'Why?' he told me, 'Because if it gets stolen YOU will be legally responsible for any harm caused by the theft of your gun.'

Another thing: No self-respecting thief is going to miss a gun stored under the driver's seat. The guy who broke into my new auto certainly wouldn't have. He managed to scour everything he could find that was of any value, whatsoever, out of the vehicle.

You're, also, correct: If there's no inside-the-vehicle access to the trunk, then, it's really hard to remove a pistol from your belt and secret it into the trunk. I've been in that situation several times. The best solution I've found is to stop a block, or two, away from your destination; remove the pistol from your belt; and, then, carry it underneath your arm back to the trunk.

My wife uses a different technique: She removes her pistol; places it inside a plastic lunch pail; and, then, places the pail into the trunk without making any attempt to hide what she's doing.

For whatever it's worth, I'll offer you my personal opinion: Should you ever need a gun at work a pistol in your vehicle is going to be of little - if any - value. If I lived close to work the same way you do, I'd just leave the pistol at home in the safe.

('Inside the vehicle' is where Suzanna Hupp's pistol was stored the day George Hennard drove his truck into the dining room at Lubby's Cafeteria in Killeen, TX. Didn't do her any good being there, though, did it!)

saxconnection
03-05-2012, 04:38
You didn't really state what kind of car, so I can only offer a guess, with a small personal tidbit thrown in.

My ex-fiancee's family is very anti-gun. When I came to their house, I could not have a gun on me. The funny thing was that anything else was just fine, lol.

Back on topic, I drove a Ford Mustang at the time, and the rear seats would fold forward to allow access to the trunk. I had a locking pistol box with a security cord strapped to the back of the seat and the box. When I got to her house, all I had to do was slip off my holster (snaps come in handy), reach back, pull the seat down and my box would be accessible.

You never stated if you have access to your trunk other than the button that doesn't work, but if your seats happen to fold, this can be a discreet option as well.

Take care,

Adam

JGulley317
03-05-2012, 04:49
I drive a 95' Nissan Altima. The middle seat folds down. Not enough for someone to reach back there. Only way to open the trunk is to use the key. I feel it could be best to just leave it at home. I don't know...

saxconnection
03-05-2012, 04:54
Mine goes with me, for two reasons. First, I work nights in one of the not so nice parts of Detroit. Second, and just as important, I don't know where I may go after work. I don't always go straight home. It's nice to have the option to go somewhere and not have to remember to go home to get my pistol.

Adam

JGulley317
03-05-2012, 05:03
Good point. I sometimes go places after work.

Opie 1 Kenopie
03-05-2012, 06:30
Mine goes with me, for two reasons. First, I work nights in one of the not so nice parts of Detroit. Second, and just as important, I don't know where I may go after work. I don't always go straight home. It's nice to have the option to go somewhere and not have to remember to go home to get my pistol.

Adam

Are there nice parts of Detroit? You gotta draw me a map, cuz I'm there occasionally and I must have missed them.

OP, I use a small, no-name metal lock box cabled around the mounts for the driver's seat. Easy access while in the truck, and then it just slides back underneath. Not theft-proof, but better than leaving it on the dash while you run into WalMart.

The thing about the deputy telling a guy he's legally responsible is crap. Even here in Kalifornia, once a stolen gun has been reported stolen, you're not legally responsible for the actions of a dirtbag. As long as it was legal to own in the first place and it wasn't left in plain sight.

Back to the topic; I'd recommend devising a good lockable storage box in your car or transferring it to the trunk in an old McDonald's bag etc. Saxconnection, If it were ME in Detroit, I'd have a dang long gun. :wavey:

Bruce M
03-05-2012, 06:40
A majority of the stolen guns that I have stumbled across or dealt with were taken from an automobile. My opinion is that at the least some sort of locked metal box is the bare minimum to secure a vehicle in a car.

cowboy1964
03-05-2012, 06:45
I'd love to have a big weapons locker in the back of a black SUV, with a few ARs and 12 gauges and HKs in there. But for now I just have a cabled lock box. I only use it when I'm going in somewhere that forces me to disarm (which is rare).

Bill Lumberg
03-05-2012, 08:26
Leaving a weapon in an unattended vehicle without a supplemental locking device is ignorant. Armest consoles and gloveboxes, locking or otherwise, and underneath seats are the first places smash and grab burglars pop and check. I salute you for doing this responsibly. I can't remember the name, but Bass Pro sells a cast aluminum clamshell type lockbox that is around 30 bucks, and it's very secure. It can be bolted to the floor or secured with a cable. If you can't manage a lockbox, a coated cable lock is far better than leaving it loose as a gift. Under the seat is a little easier to manage. The trunk works, just not as conveniently. I was curious about how other GT members keep their handguns in their car when they can't take it in with them? In my case, the only place I can't take it into is work. Everywhere else I don't have a problem.

In my situation it takes less then 5 minutes to get to work. I ask myself, is it worth it for the 5 minute drive to work only to leave it in the car while there? But then the gun owner in me says carry everywhere you go, even to work. I don't mind keeping it in my car as long as it's locked up good.

I drive a car. I'd like it under the passenger seat in a locked box with a cable around the seat so I can take it off in the car so no one sees while leaving it in the car. Though the benefit to putting it in the trunk is you need a key to get the the trunk. For some reason the lever to the left of the seat doesn't work. So if it was in the trunk it would be most safe there. Though I'd have to take it off while potentially being in front of someone. Either way, it'd be in a locked box with a cable around something.

Which spot would you recommend, under passenger seat or in trunk? Why?

What storage boxes do you recommend? Do you have it?

Thanks, Gulley

ashecht
03-05-2012, 08:42
Leaving a weapon in an unattended vehicle without a supplemental locking device is ignorant. Armest consoles and gloveboxes, locking or otherwise, and underneath seats are the first places smash and grab burglars pop and check. I salute you for doing this responsibly. I can't remember the name, but Bass Pro sells a cast aluminum clamshell type lockbox that is around 30 bucks, and it's very secure. It can be bolted to the floor or secured with a cable. If you can't manage a lockbox, a coated cable lock is far better than leaving it loose as a gift. Under the seat is a little easier to manage. The trunk works, just not as conveniently.

this is the setup I use. I have it secured to the seat rail with a cable lock. perhaps not going to stop a pro, but at least it will stop the smash and grab types.

fuzzy03cls
03-05-2012, 09:04
'Because if it gets stolen YOU will be legally responsible for any harm caused by the theft of your gun.'
May want to look up the statutes on this. I highly doubt it.

HeliGlock
03-05-2012, 09:30
No Nice spots in Detroit. You have to be kidding.

Filhar
03-05-2012, 09:44
I just bought a First Alert lockbox at Menards. They're closing out a lot of their boxes. It has a cable and an electronic key pad. I leave it on the seat of my truck with an old raggedy blanket on it. The top lifts up, so I can open it and store a Glock 17 and Ken Onion Blur in it while I'm at work. I have to park in a City Parking lot cause I work at the Post Office. If someone rides with me, it goes behind the seat. List is $79, I paid $25 and they had several. I also bought a Bulldog front opening box for $30 and a Biometric for my son fo $50. 50% to 70% markdown.

Beanie-Bean
03-05-2012, 10:29
JGulley,

I use a small GunVault with a cable that goes around the seat mounts. Pretty handy for quick runs to places where I can't carry (post office always comes to mind) and I think that it ran about $30 (?) Can't really remember the pricing, but it wasn't that expensive.

Better than nothing, I guess. I like the ideas of a plastic lunch box, or an old McD's bag as the other guys mentioned, if you have to put it in the back of your vehicle.

vinstang67
03-05-2012, 10:39
I am with others use a small lock box. About $25 before tax.

cadillacguns
03-05-2012, 10:43
I used to have a G-26 in a Center of Mass clamshell under the passenger seat of my vehicle secured. However, we are not in anyway shape or form allowed no matter what anybody says a firearm in our vehicle in or on our employee parking lot. Now completly nekked I constantly LTCH as soon as I get home, and prey nothing happens to me or someone I could/would/should help during my daily commute.

It hurts!

Ruggles
03-05-2012, 10:47

Yeah sounds to be not true at all.

MarkM32
03-05-2012, 11:01
While I am not required to disarm basically anywhere in my area, I still do, say if going to a school, courthouse, etc.. I drive a pickup, but I have a lot of interior modifications. I use it to plow snow, so the back seat is gone, and instead there is a rack that holds all sorts of things, and my factory center console is gone and instead there is an emergency console there. I have 2 car safes in there. One is bolted to the rack where my rear seat is, and one is attached to the center console. The center console simply operates by the push of a button, however it requires the ignition to be on. The second is biometric, so in event that I do have to leave my pistol in the truck, its not going to be stolen. It's fairly simply to do something like this.

dkf
03-05-2012, 11:03
I'll tell you what the Sheriff's Deputy told me when he handed me my permit: 'Don't leave your gun in your vehicle.' When I asked him, 'Why?' he told me, 'Because if it gets stolen YOU will be legally responsible for any harm caused by the theft of your gun.'

Did he hand you a statute stating that? Because he is completely full of s*!@.

frontier2011
03-05-2012, 11:35
Are there nice parts of Detroit? You gotta draw me a map, cuz I'm there occasionally and I must have missed them.

OP, I use a small, no-name metal lock box cabled around the mounts for the driver's seat. Easy access while in the truck, and then it just slides back underneath. Not theft-proof, but better than leaving it on the dash while you run into WalMart.

The thing about the deputy telling a guy he's legally responsible is crap. Even here in Kalifornia, once a stolen gun has been reported stolen, you're not legally responsible for the actions of a dirtbag. As long as it was legal to own in the first place and it wasn't left in plain sight.

Back to the topic; I'd recommend devising a good lockable storage box in your car or transferring it to the trunk in an old McDonald's bag etc. Saxconnection, If it were ME in Detroit, I'd have a dang long gun. :wavey:

I always carry when i am in walmart.:wavey:

saxconnection
03-05-2012, 12:28

Saxconnection, If it were ME in Detroit, I'd have a dang long gun. :wavey:

Yeah, it's tempting to have a long gun where I am in there. In fact, there are guys at my place of employment who sell them out of the back of their cars...:shocked:

As for the nicer parts, well, there is the downtown area. During events such as the auto show, and Redwings games police presence is there in force, so it's not as bad. Mostly just pan handlers, a few musicians, and the regular crazies.

I think they recognize the places where you can't carry legally and try somewhat to alleviate the pressure one normally feels unarmed in those areas of Detroit. While I can't carry in some of those areas, I am NEVER unarmed in Detroit.

Take care,

Adam

saxconnection
03-05-2012, 12:35
No Nice spots in Detroit. You have to be kidding.
I'll put it this way. At least with Detroit, you know what you're getting into. Cobo is nice, lots of shows. Joe Louis Arena, go see the 'Wings play. Ford Field. Actually saw the Lions win one while I was there (a rare occurrence I know). There are also the small businesses and restaurants around these areas that contribute to it being a "nicer" part of Detroit. I'm not saying your car won't get stolen while you're having your meal, but I don't expect to get shot while around these places either. It seems these are the places the police hang around in Detroit.

I'll tell you one place I won't go. Chicago. Basically, if I can't have a firearm there, I don't go there. I feel there is a better chance of survival here than Chi-town.

Adam

poodleplumber
03-05-2012, 14:24
I have the small GunVault that comes with a cable. It is very versatile - although it usually is cabled under my car seat, I can move it into my house or a hotel room very easily when that sort of need arises.

I have never seen an ordinance saying that a victim of theft is responsible for what a thief does with a stolen item, be it a gun, a car, medication, or anything else. There certainly are ordinances requiring that guns be secured against access by minors, but the kind of devices we are discussing are adequate for that. I await education to the contrary.

FAS1
03-05-2012, 14:32
I drive a 95' Nissan Altima. The middle seat folds down. Not enough for someone to reach back there. Only way to open the trunk is to use the key. I feel it could be best to just leave it at home. I don't know...

The trunk would be my choice if I had to leave a vehicle parked all day while at work. Less convenient than in the cabin, but you have room to secure a stronger handgun safe in there. Besides, if the key is the only way in the trunk, a smash and grab will get anything they can grab quickly and run. I doubt they are interested in what's in your trunk.

Those small 18- 21ga steel clamshell boxes are certainly better than leaving your gun loose, but I think the cable is easily defeated with a pair of dikes.

I'm not sure it's the exact same thing as mine is not vinyl coated, but go cut a piece off the extra cable thats on your garage door at home. Mine just takes one good squeeze with an old pair of standard size dikes that are pretty dull when you feel the edge. Not very impressive from a security viewpoint.

Arc Angel
03-05-2012, 16:54

It's not a statute. It's a tort and a matter of civil law. According to two law enforcement people I've asked, loosing your pistol creates a valid tort claim against you, here, in PA. (But, thanks!)

JGulley317
03-05-2012, 23:07
I am with others use a small lock box. About $25 before tax.

What co. makes this? That would be helpful.

vinstang67
03-05-2012, 23:11
What co. makes this? That would be helpful.

Product information below:
http://www.stack-on.com/categories/security-boxescases/products/229

I got it from Academy.

Stack-on has other style so does:
http://www.sentrysafe.com/

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

saxconnection
03-06-2012, 02:31
On the opposite end of the cost spectrum for your vehicle. I have the GV2000 deluxe for my nightstand gun. I find them to well built, and fast to access, although a tad on the expensive side. Good luck, and let us know what your final decision is!

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/microvault.html/

Adam

OSUJEEPER
03-06-2012, 09:03
Not to Hijack the thread but does anyone have a Jeep Wrangler and use the Tuffy CC box. Is it big enough to fit most Glocks easily?

http://www.4wd.com/Fabrication-Tools/Conceal-Carry-Security-Drawer-by-Tuffy-for-Jeep.aspx?t_c=86&t_s=414&t_pt=9169&t_pn=TFY247-01

larson1122
03-06-2012, 20:27
I always carry when i am in walmart.:wavey:

I agree, there are some crazy folks that hang out in my walmart :worried:

dkf
03-06-2012, 20:59
It's not a statute. It's a tort and a matter of civil law. According to two law enforcement people I've asked, loosing your pistol creates a valid tort claim against you, here, in PA. (But, thanks!)

A LEO is one of the last places I'd seek law advise from. Besides if someone steals your firearm you didn't "lose" it.

Don't spread hearsay.

NMPOPS
03-06-2012, 21:32
Stuff happens. About 10 years ago my house was burglarized while I was at work. Lost 5 handguns. I had my duty weapon and two others in my car so I didn't lose them all. Point is if your weapon is not on you, you stand a chance of having it stolen. I'm retired from LE duties and where I now work I must leave it locked in my car and hope for the best.

Sent from my Ally

Misty02
03-06-2012, 21:42

Police officers are more often involved with criminal matters; for torts and civil liability I would most likely turn to an attorney.

Misty02
03-06-2012, 21:48
This is like the one I have. http://www.gunvault.com/nano-vault-100.html (http://www.gunvault.com/nano-vault-100.html)

Its existence is merely to ease my conscience a little in case my firearm is ever stolen as I doubt it would deter a determined criminal.

mingaa
03-06-2012, 22:16
JGulley,

I use a small GunVault with a cable that goes around the seat mounts. Pretty handy for quick runs to places where I can't carry (post office always comes to mind) and I think that it ran about $30 (?) Can't really remember the pricing, but it wasn't that expensive.

Better than nothing, I guess. I like the ideas of a plastic lunch box, or an old McD's bag as the other guys mentioned, if you have to put it in the back of your vehicle.
I bought a box with a stout cable added a good lock with a covered hasp and put the "hook" from industrial Velcro on the bottom so it grips the carpet and does not move around. It's in my waist if I'm in the car but when I dbsoloutely have to this is what I do. I drive a sport sedan hatch. There is no trunk. I use a club and the car is alarmed with chip key etc. So it's low on the theft list and with NOTHING of value ever left in sight it's not a magnet for the smash and grab set.

ScottieG59
03-07-2012, 00:06
I have two steel gun "vaults" cable loch ed to a seat in my vehicle. When I go to the office, I store the ammo and weapon separately. I have to do this since it is on a military post. My weapons are registered on post, but I am not authorized concealed carry there.

I use my Ruger LCR when I have to load and unload a lot. I worry about rechambering a lot with automatics.

I am not worried about theft a lot. I do not like the idea of leaving my carry weapon at home. It would not be good to come home and be surprised by an armed burglar.

JGulley317
03-07-2012, 02:07
Thanks for everyone's help and recommendations! I've decided I'm going to store it under my passenger seat. I think I'll like how quickly and discreetly I can put it away. Though, something I'm thinking. Is bolting down the handgun safe in my trunk. I wouldn't be able to bolt down the safe under my seat because, the safe I choose opens from the top. I wouldn't mind not being discreet while putting my handgun in a bolted down safe in my truck that can only open with a key. I feel this would be the most secure route. Though I'm leaning towards under the seat, between the two when I buy the safe!

The safe I choose is a Gun Vault Nano Safe that I can purchase at Big Lot's (go figure) for $20. It can be found here...

http://www.gunvault.com/handgun-safes/nano-vault.html/

To the poster who asked if I could carry it while at work. Still waiting to run into my head manager. Haven't seen him since you asked me.

Thanks again for everyone who helped!

RockyMtnG20
03-07-2012, 02:28
To the poster who asked if I could carry it while at work. Still waiting to run into my head manager. Haven't seen him since you asked me.

Thanks again for everyone who helped!

Most jobs I have had there was paperwork employees signed saying firearms were not permitted at the work place. Since I left California I haven't seen that anymore. :supergrin:

Myke_Hart
03-07-2012, 06:16
I used to use these.
I found them flimsy at best and if the person had a screwdriver handy they can break in them.

http://masterofconcealment.com/images/magick_cache/pgroup_6974_image_260_shadow.jpg

But now I have two of these:
Sentrysafe As-1
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/sentrysafe_as_1_autosafe.jpg
http://www.sentrysafe.com/images/products/AS-1_b.jpg

Much thicker walls and cable and more sturdy than the others.

My only complaint is large guns will not fit in it. It will also work for your gps and what not. Example 1911 will not fit.

RockyMtnG20
03-07-2012, 16:07
But now I have two of these:
Sentrysafe As-1
http://www.productwiki.com/upload/images/sentrysafe_as_1_autosafe.jpg

Much thicker walls and cable and more sturdy than the others.

My only complaint is large guns will not fit in it. It will also work for your gps and what not. Example 1911 will not fit.

Just don't lock it like this. One bolt off the seat bracket & they can take the whole thing. Lock it to the seat so they would have to steal the whole seat to get it.

ADK_40GLKr
03-07-2012, 16:40
I was curious about how other GT members keep their handguns in their car when they can't take it in with them? In my case, the only place I can't take it into is work. Everywhere else I don't have a problem.

Both our SUV's have a small storage area under the floor of the rear cargo compartment. Near the removable floor panel is a steel ring welded to the body of the vehicle. Through that ring, I run a steel cable into that storage area with a padlock, so it can be attached soundly to the gun case.

Then I usually pile as much junk as I can over that part of the floor.

This keeps it
Out of sight
Locked up
Very difficult to access.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
:milestone: 1,000th post!

Myke_Hart
03-08-2012, 05:51
Just don't lock it like this. One bolt off the seat bracket & they can take the whole thing. Lock it to the seat so they would have to steal the whole seat to get it.

If they unbolt the seat they can have it. Bolt cutters are what I would use to cut the cable. 2 seconds and gone.:embarassed::whistling:

You can bolt the entire box to the floor as well and use the cable lock. That might be better.

FAS1
03-08-2012, 08:26
Most cars don't have much room for any kind of hidden and robust gun storage in the passenger cabin. The inexpensive cabled boxes are certainly and option as many of them will slip under the seat and with the cable it is at least some deterrent. My opinion is that these are best siuted for convenience and ease of use when you need to leave your gun for a short period of time in your vehicle. I wouldn't depend on them for all day every day storage, especially if your car is parked is a easily accessible area. They are just too easy to defeat. Keep one for those brief times and bolt something in the trunk that is harder to get at for the all day storage needs. A little inconvenient, but much more secure.

RockyMtnG20
03-08-2012, 19:22
If they unbolt the seat they can have it. Bolt cutters are what I would use to cut the cable. 2 seconds and gone.:embarassed::whistling:

You can bolt the entire box to the floor as well and use the cable lock. That might be better.

Bolt cutters won't cut that stranded cable, they will just squash it. On the other hand, a cordless Dremel tool with abrasive wheel would do the job pretty quick & it would fit in the thief's pocket.

Bolting the box to the floor then welding over the bolt threads would make it a pain in the butt for a thief. If your car is low they would have to jack it up.