First piston: MK114 or M6-SL? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : First piston: MK114 or M6-SL?

UniversalBrow06
03-05-2012, 12:39
I have decided it's time to add a piston AR to my collection. I pretty much just want to try something different; I have four DI AR's now, so i figured I'd give it a go. I have no problems with DI, I love what I have, not looking for something better or more amazing or miraculous... You get the picture. I don't want this to become a piston vs. DI debate.

That all being said, I picked these two because they seem to represent the middle of the road in terms of piston gun prices. The M6-SL is one of LWRC's entry line, and the PWS MK114 is pretty much in the same price range. I appreciate both company's reputation in terms of quality and customer sevice. I've chosen both over your typical Stag, Sig, Ruger, etc options, but between the two I'm not sure which one I like more. I have never handled either, so that might make my decision easier. They both fall in my price range, and I'd like to not reconsider any options the next price range up if possible. I think I could get what I'm looking for in either of these two without having to spend more.

What are your opinions? Recommendations? Anyone own one of these? Any complaints about either?

WayaX
03-05-2012, 13:07
Why go with a patched together system? My advice is since you're looking at LWRC and I will assume then you can afford that price level, go with a SCAR 16S.

Airborne Infantryman
03-05-2012, 17:39
I've had the PWS MK114, and I have two LWRCs. If you can afford it, go with the LWRC.

The LWRC uses a short-stroke piston system, where-as the PWS uses a long-stroke piston system, such as an AK-47. The piston and op-rod are attached to the BCG, and in turn, the charging handle is as well.

The LWRC comes with superior coatings on ALL the internals; FailZero EXO, which in my research, is superior to the NIC Industries MicroSlick that PWS coats their internals with.

Another thing- the piston system of the PWS is an intermediate length sort of gas system, whereas the LWRC M6-SL uses a mid-length system. Take the time to decide which features you need/want, and make your choice. You cannot, and will not go wrong with a PWS or an LWRC.

UniversalBrow06
03-06-2012, 10:00
Thanks very much for your reply, AI. I definitely need to do a bit more research on this. How much does the difference between the semi-intermediate and mid-length gas system matter in a piston setup? I know LWRC made the "stretch" length after their introduction of the carbine length, but I'm not sure why. Where there carrier tilt issues attributed to that amount of gas contacting the piston in the carbine length?

I've also been wondering, is there a separate op-rod in the LWRC like an SKS short stroke, or does the piston contact the BCG itself? Where is the spring located?

M4 is the only forum I've found that has absolutely no love for LWRC. I can't tell if it's poo slinging or legitimate complaints. Everyone I have talked to personally have had nothing but good things to say about LWRC piston gun quality. Actually, the same is true about PWS, and the only complaint I hear about it is that it's not quite an LWRC in terms of sheer, raw quality of components and finish. Pretty much everyone likes the EXO over the MicroSlick. On the other hand, almost everyone seems to prefer the long-stroke AK like piston over short and I can't really figure out why. I own both SKS's and AK's and both have served flawlessly. I terms of durability and operational practicality, I can't personally find a true advantage of either one over the other... At least in that context.

davsco
03-06-2012, 10:06
no experience with pws, but i have and love lwrc m6a3-dmr. zero issues and i use it for 3 gun and of course range fun.

at the local range, they rent an m4 (yes, full auto) that has a lwrc m6 upper. trust me, it NEVER gets cleaned and runs like a top.

PlasticGuy
03-06-2012, 10:28
I have always thought the LWRC is a good system, but I can't see paying more for it than for a SCAR 16. It also isn't as bulletproof as many would have you believe. The bad rap on the M4 forum is excessive, in my opinion, but some of the issues discussed there are real.

I have had nothing but good experiences with PWS. My local dealer has a select fire MK112. That thing runs like a sowing machine. Just keep feeding it decent ammo from decent mags, and it keeps spitting out hot brass. Any select fire M4 with a short barrel that is 100% reliable is enough to impress me. It even stays reliable with a suppressor on it. My preference is also for a long stroke piston system. It is more simple, more durable, and adds extra mass that slows the speed of the bolt and carrier.

UniversalBrow06
03-06-2012, 10:39
I have always thought a SCAR 16 is a solid $700-800 over these. Is there a super good deal on SCARs I'm not aware of? My goal budget for just the gun is $1,500-1,600, and both the LWRC and the PWS fall into this price range.

boomhower
03-06-2012, 10:54
If I ever get a piston gun without a doubt it will be a LWRC. Great company and guns. Their system sorted for carrier tilt with great coatings on the internals.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

PlasticGuy
03-06-2012, 11:40
I have always thought a SCAR 16 is a solid $700-800 over these. Is there a super good deal on SCARs I'm not aware of? My goal budget for just the gun is $1,500-1,600, and both the LWRC and the PWS fall into this price range.
If you get the LWRC M6-SL, then you can indeed get it for $1600-$1700. However, you trade the free float quad rail for a plastic forend, and trade the flip up rear for a fixed one. If you get the same features as the PWS, you pay SCAR money for it. Less features or more money. Take your pick.

Deployment Solu
03-06-2012, 12:27
LWRC makes a great rifle and they are a great company. My LGS is a Dealer for them and I have shot several models that belong to the owner. Great gun, reliable as a sewing machine, and great customer service (to answer my questions). I don't know of anyone who got a bum gun.

UniversalBrow06
03-06-2012, 12:27
If you get the LWRC M6-SL, then you can indeed get it for $1600-$1700. However, you trade the free float quad rail for a plastic forend, and trade the flip up rear for a fixed one. If you get the same features as the PWS, you pay SCAR money for it. Less features or more money. Take your pick.

This is true. I was going to save some money by using parts I already have to jazz up the M6-SL. I have a Spikes Elite upper that I swap in from time to time to use as a beater/ range plinker gun. I was going to use the Troy BUI's and midlength Omega rail on the Spikes for the LWRC for the time being and maybe later get a Centurion quad. I'd keep the Spikes as a lightweight KISS gun and save the cabbage at the same time. I would not be able to do this with the PWS obviously. Of course as I'm typing this, I'm wounding whether or not the Omega is compatible with piston guns.... Hmmm...

faawrenchbndr
03-06-2012, 12:54
I bought a 14.5" Adams Arms Tac Elite upper a while back,.......
Love it! Great ballance, cool running, light recoil, easy cleaning.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c341/faawrenchbndr/AATacEliteupperBCMlowerpic1.jpg

Airborne Infantryman
03-06-2012, 17:20
Thanks very much for your reply, AI. I definitely need to do a bit more research on this. How much does the difference between the semi-intermediate and mid-length gas system matter in a piston setup?

I noticed a slightly smoother recoil stroke with the PWS, but that could be due to the PWS SM556 muzzle break that my PWS MK114 came standard with.

I know LWRC made the "stretch" length after their introduction of the carbine length, but I'm not sure why. Where there carrier tilt issues attributed to that amount of gas contacting the piston in the carbine length?

LWRC solved their carrier tilt issues with the new one piece BCGs, which were made standard circa 2009. The mid-length gas system was incorporated to make the recoil a little smoother, as opposed to the carbine length gas system.

I've also been wondering, is there a separate op-rod in the LWRC like an SKS short stroke, or does the piston contact the BCG itself? Where is the spring located?

The LWRC has a seperate op-rod, which does contact the BCG. The return spring is located just behind the gas block.

M4 is the only forum I've found that has absolutely no love for LWRC. I can't tell if it's poo slinging or legitimate complaints.

M4C hates anything that isn't BCM, Colt, or Daniel Defense. You'll find no love for anything piston there, and their complaints are based on the old owners of LWRC. LWRC used to be Leitner Wise Rifle Company, and was reformed under new ownership as Land Warfare Resources Corporation, sometime in late 2008-ish. 95% of the people on M4C are regurgitating bull****, and they've never even touched an LWRC.

Everyone I have talked to personally have had nothing but good things to say about LWRC piston gun quality. Actually, the same is true about PWS, and the only complaint I hear about it is that it's not quite an LWRC in terms of sheer, raw quality of components and finish. Pretty much everyone likes the EXO over the MicroSlick.

LWRCs fit and finish IS a lot better than PWS. The PWS is still an EXCELLENT quality firearm. Its just that the LWRC is a rifle you'll find NO sub-par components in. Everything except for the stripped lower receiver and stripped upper, are made in-house by LWRC. Trust me- NO corners were cut by LWRC with the M6-SL; its just very basic, but still shoots, and runs like the top-tier M6A3 or M6A2 DEA.

On the other hand, almost everyone seems to prefer the long-stroke AK like piston over short and I can't really figure out why. I own both SKS's and AK's and both have served flawlessly. I terms of durability and operational practicality, I can't personally find a true advantage of either one over the other... At least in that context.

Its honestly a matter of preference. As I said, you cannot, and WILL NOT go wrong with your choice. Both companies are very active in keeping in touch with their customer-base, and will bend over to make you happy. I send my LWRC M6-SPR MOD 0 off to LWRC to get some custom stuff done to it, and I had it back in 7 days.

As I said, you can't go wrong with either. :wavey:

Pictures of my LWRCs-

M6A2 DEA in Multi-Regional Earth anodizing-

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6076/6134047983_f7f04c5dc3_b.jpg

M6-SPR MOD 0 in Patriot Brown cerakote-

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6162/6241828267_ca991bd3e2_b.jpg

UniversalBrow06
03-06-2012, 18:01
That was incredibly helpful to say the least. Thanks to all of you especially AI for your feedback. Really good stuff. I think I'm going to bite on the M6-SL. In the back of my mind I'm still pining for one of those fantastic LaRue PredatARs, but yet again I think it's gonna have to wait since I already have a few nice DI's.

Airborne Infantryman
03-06-2012, 19:39
That was incredibly helpful to say the least. Thanks to all of you especially AI for your feedback. Really good stuff. I think I'm going to bite on the M6-SL. In the back of my mind I'm still pining for one of those fantastic LaRue PredatARs, but yet again I think it's gonna have to wait since I already have a few nice DI's.

I see your in TN. I ordered BOTH my LWRCs from Joe and Lorie at Perkiomen Gunworks, in Sparta. They are GREAT to deal with, and even allowed me to extend my layaway for my M6A2 DEA while I was in Afghanistan.

Looks like they have 2 of the M6-SL's in stock right now. :wavey:

http://www.perkiomengunworks.com/ItemDetails/718787277/LWRCI_M6_SL_5_56_Lightweight_New_for_2011.htm

davsco
03-06-2012, 20:42
I ordered BOTH my LWRCs from Perkiomen Gunworks

me too, but bought one they had in stock and had it shipped to local ffl. no issues at all with the transaction.