Custom AR builds [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Custom AR builds

ballr4lyf
03-05-2012, 13:05
Mas,

A lot of chatter has been going on in some of the other forums regarding modifying a carry gun's trigger. I'm part of the group of people that say this is a bad idea, unless you are planning to make the trigger pull heavier, as it could lead to problems within the legal system if the gun were ever used in a SD scenario. This got me to thinking about AR's.

I've been toying with the idea of building my own AR. I haven't owned an AR yet, and this would be a gun that would serve duty as my primary Home Defense weapon. But considering the discussion threads about why you shouldn't lighten the trigger pull on your carry handgun, I'm now thinking twice about it. Could my choice of parts for an AR build come back to bite me if I have to use it in a SD situation? Would I be better off purchasing an off-the-shelf AR from a reputable manufacturer?

Thanks in advance,
Rob

Mas Ayoob
03-05-2012, 18:52
I agree with you that a defensive AR should have a mil-spec, police-spec trigger pull weight. As far as building the rifle yourself, so long as you didn't do something stupid such as flee the shooting scene (where they could argue that you changed uppers later to fool evidence technicians), a competent defense team should be able to handle it. They could simply bring in local gunsmiths to testify that DIY AR builds are a popular hobbyist thing, analogous to the trend of sporterizing one's own military surplus bolt action rifle back in the 1950s-70s.

best,
Mas