Question about Noveske rifles...which one of the two? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Question about Noveske rifles...which one of the two?

DrtyHarry
03-05-2012, 16:17
I found two 5.56 Recons that I like, they are almost the same but have one difference.

One has the VIS option (Vltor VIS 12" monolithic upper), the other one has the "Forged Vltor MUR upper receiver featuring an anti-rotation interface with the handguard".

Both have the switchblock. Do I want the one WITH the VIS, or the one WITHOUT it? What's the real difference? They cost about the same from Noveske (a few bucks difference). Thanks in advance.

Harry

DrtyHarry
03-05-2012, 19:39
Bump!

Harry

03-05-2012, 19:48
I found two 5.56 Recons that I like, they are almost the same but have one difference.

One has the VIS option (Vltor VIS 12" monolithic upper), the other one has the "Forged Vltor MUR upper receiver featuring an anti-rotation interface with the handguard".

Both have the switchblock. Do I want the one WITH the VIS, or the one WITHOUT it? What's the real difference? They cost about the same from Noveske (a few bucks difference). Thanks in advance.

Harry
The VIS one is a one-piece upper/rail combo. The other one is a 2-piece. With a 2-piece system, there's always a slim possibility of the rail coming loose. Very early Noveske guns did not have the anti rotational interface, but subsequent models with the VLTOR MUR upper are equipped with such, hence eliminating the possibility of the rail rotating loose.
Which one is for you is up to you.

DrtyHarry
03-05-2012, 20:05
The VIS one is a one-piece upper/rail combo. The other one is a 2-piece. With a 2-piece system, there's always a slim possibility of the rail coming loose. Very early Noveske guns did not have the anti rotational interface, but subsequent models with the VLTOR MUR upper are equipped with such, hence eliminating the possibility of the rail rotating loose.
Which one is for you is up to you.

Thanks for your reply, but please pardon my ignorance as I'm not all caught up on my black rifle material.

I still have no clue which one of the two I should pick up. If the MUR is equipped with the anti rotational interface, and that eliminates the possibility of the rail rotating loose...why the VIS? Why even offer it? :dunno:

Harry

AK_Stick
03-05-2012, 21:36
Because some people like the ability to change rails etc.

I do not like the VIS, or any monolithic uppers. Because if something gets worn/damaged, you can't replace a component. Not that I think this is a common issue, just a concern of mine. I'm also .mil, and hard on my rifles.

However, they're not bad, I know several shooters who like them, and they do free-float your barrel, which is a up side to them.

Jameson4all
03-06-2012, 17:42
Ya ak_stick got it right, the problem with the VIS upper is, if the weapon is dropped on accident or whatever the rail can bend and cause issues. When I talked to Noveske's customer support on the issue, the guy mentioned they dont have issues with the regular 2 piece, and said its possible for the VIS to bend and cause issues. I've seen a weapon hit the ground due to a sling failure, so dont think you will not ever drop your weapon, it may not be your fault if it does fall.

DrtyHarry
03-08-2012, 10:31
Thanks guys. No VIS it is. Now I can't wait for this bad boy!!! Much obliged!

Harry

Javelin
03-08-2012, 10:46

Harry

I own both styles in 10.5" Noveske rifles. I also have a VIS on a 16" Noveske.

The VIS is nice. Vltor does a great job with it. The upsides are that it looks really nice.

The downsides are that the VIS monolithic is heavier than the Vltor Upper with Noveske Rails. Also the Noveske rails come with a sling attachment whereas with the VIS I had to buy a GearSector mount for my QD sling attachment.

I also own a Noveske Vltor upper with TRX rails. They are probably the lightest and most comfortable, modular rails on the market. Add your rails to it wherever you want, add a QD to wherever you want. Not so hot looking with the Switchblock IMO ...

OK there is the background I have for you. My opinion would be to go with a Noveske Vltor upper w/ Noveske rails.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lcmlp-556-sb&cat=137&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

And FWIW the Vltor VIS is not really monolithic but 2 pieces that are machined so tightly you can barely even see where they connect.

:wavey:

DrtyHarry
03-08-2012, 12:29
Thanks for the input Javelin! My mind is made up. Can't wait to handle one of these bad boys, I've heard soooo many good things about them. Thanks again!!!

Harry

Javelin
03-08-2012, 12:37
Thanks for the input Javelin! My mind is made up. Can't wait to handle one of these bad boys, I've heard soooo many good things about them. Thanks again!!!

Harry

HAIL CAESAR
03-08-2012, 15:52
I own both styles in 10.5" Noveske rifles. I also have a VIS on a 16" Noveske.

The VIS is nice. Vltor does a great job with it. The upsides are that it looks really nice.

The downsides are that the VIS monolithic is heavier than the Vltor Upper with Noveske Rails. Also the Noveske rails come with a sling attachment whereas with the VIS I had to buy a GearSector mount for my QD sling attachment.

I also own a Noveske Vltor upper with TRX rails. They are probably the lightest and most comfortable, modular rails on the market. Add your rails to it wherever you want, add a QD to wherever you want. Not so hot looking with the Switchblock IMO ...

OK there is the background I have for you. My opinion would be to go with a Noveske Vltor upper w/ Noveske rails.

http://noveskerifleworks.com/cgi-bin/imcart/display.cgi?item_id=lcmlp-556-sb&cat=137&page=1&search=&since=&status=&title=

And FWIW the Vltor VIS is not really monolithic but 2 pieces that are machined so tightly you can barely even see where they connect.

And the Noveske rails themselves are not lightweights.