Condition 1 carry around your kids [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Condition 1 carry around your kids

hioctane33
03-06-2012, 08:26
Does anyone feel nervous about carrying one in the chamber when you are around your children?

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

ATW525
03-06-2012, 08:32
Why would I feel nervous?

hioctane33
03-06-2012, 08:38
I don't know I know I should trust my 27 and my Mtac but I just stay On edge a little more.

Bufford
03-06-2012, 08:39
Not a bit. Nothing is different if they are there or not...

fuzzy03cls
03-06-2012, 08:44
I see no reason to be if the firearm is on you.

Creatism
03-06-2012, 08:45
I remedied my misgivings about carrying around my kid by teaching him to clear it, and teaching him about guns in general! If I know he knows how to handle a weapon and how to clear it (aka make it safe, drop mag clear the chamber) then it gets rid of a lot of my misgivings about firearms and my kid!

Typed from my iPhone.

davsco
03-06-2012, 08:45
if the gun is very secure on your hip all the time, not too concerned.

but if it's in a purse, coat pocket, fanny pack or the like that you may set down somewhere, then i'd be pretty concerned, whether one is in the chamber, the chamber is empty but a full mag is in the gun, or even if the ammo and gun are both accessible by prying hands.

dosei
03-06-2012, 09:00
Does anyone feel nervous about carrying one in the chamber when you are around your children?

No, not at all.

I carry in a kydex IWB holster that fully covers the trigger, holds the gun very securely, and very snug against my body. The gun cannot come out without me knowing it, and the trigger cannot be accessed unless the gun is removed from the holster. The gun is, of course, a modern firearm design to be completely safe for C1 carry. If I was the slightest bit concerned, I would simply switch to an IWB holster with a thumb-break (to eliminate any possibility of the gun coming out of the holster even during rough-housing) rather than downgrading my carry condition to C3.

Rumbler_G20
03-06-2012, 09:05

No, not even a little bit.

I'd be nervous were I not capable of expediently and effectively ending a threat to their safety and/or well being.:wavey:

yukon2004
03-06-2012, 09:10
I don't have children, but have carried around children before, and ALWAYS carry condition 1. I never have any reason to feel uneasy about it. I am in control of my weapon.

cloudbuster
03-06-2012, 09:59
Um, no. The little devil has still never attempted to jump out of my holster and shoot anyone. I keep watching, though.

Glockdude1
03-06-2012, 10:06
No problem at all.

:cool:

Samboard
03-06-2012, 10:25
wouldn't having your kids with you make you want to be condition 1 more than ever?

janice6
03-06-2012, 10:33
No. I have never had my weapon off around the house. It's under my control, not the kids.

Glockdude1
03-06-2012, 10:36
People have many razor sharp knives and lots of cleaning chemicals in the kitchen, not locked up in any way, and no one notices.

ponders
03-06-2012, 10:41
People have many razor sharp knives and lots of cleaning chemicals in the kitchen, not locked up in any way, and no one notices.

^^^ good posting:thumbsup:

ithaca_deerslayer
03-06-2012, 11:16

If you were to fall down and hit your head, and then your kid started trying to help you and see why you were out. And if he found your gun, and was facinated with it, and drew it out of the holster, and didn't know about guns, and then pulled the trigger and shot somebody with it.

Then yes, I'd worry about it.

Otherwise, if the gun functions correctly, and you have a well designed holster, and your kid has already learned firearm safety, then I wouldn't worry about it.

:)

Samboard
03-06-2012, 14:15
Otherwise, if the gun functions correctly, and you have a well designed holster, and your kid has already learned firearm safety, then I wouldn't worry about it.

:)

that there is the MOST important thing to take out of this thread.

Toetag
03-06-2012, 14:36
wouldn't having your kids with you make you want to be condition 1 more than ever?

Agreed.

DaneA
03-06-2012, 14:40
I remedied my misgivings about carrying around my kid by teaching him to clear it, and teaching him about guns in general! If I know he knows how to handle a weapon and how to clear it (aka make it safe, drop mag clear the chamber) then it gets rid of a lot of my misgivings about firearms and my kid!

Typed from my iPhone.

This!! Education is the most important safety measure you can have when it comes to children and firearms.

fwm
03-06-2012, 17:21
I don't carry a concealed weapon that has a 'condition 1'. I carry double action only pistols and revolvers. One in the chamber. Nothing cocked. MY kids had there own rifle by the time they were 8. My son learned to ride motorcycles at the age of 5, and learned to drive my truck when he could get to the pedals at the age of 12.

Some people overly protect there children and severely stunt their skills and maturity.

cloudbuster
03-06-2012, 17:35
I don't carry a concealed weapon that has a 'condition 1'. I carry double action only pistols and revolvers. One in the chamber. Nothing cocked. MY kids had there own rifle by the time they were 8. My son learned to ride motorcycles at the age of 5, and learned to drive my truck when he could get to the pedals at the age of 12.

Some people overly protect there children and severely stunt their skills and maturity.

Here's a good article defining carry conditions (http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0BQY/is_8_46/ai_63772593/). DAO autoloaders and revolvers can indeed be carried in condition one. All it means in their case is that there is a round in the chamber (or next chamber that will index for a revolver). It doesn't mean that the gun has to have a SA "cocked and locked" mode.

yukon2004
03-06-2012, 17:49

Agreed

G30Mike
03-06-2012, 18:05

Typed from my iPhone.

This is the route I'm going with my son. He's a year and a half now and he is very used to the gun on my hip, as most of the time I OC.

He knows what guns are and knows what they "say" as in BOOM. He has a couple of toy handguns and a toy M4 that he loves. He knows the difference between a rifle and a pistol. Tell him to get his rifle and he does. He's a pretty awesome kid to say the least.

I take him to the range with me and shoot the 10/22 with him on my lap, he loves it. Never in my life have I seen a kid so smart. Personally hoping he will be some kind of child prodigy. :D

With that said, yes I carry Condition 1, but my sidearm is either always on me, locked up, or out of his reach as in when its bedtime.

If I believe in anything though, its education.

SouthernBoyVA
03-06-2012, 18:34
Why? It's the way the gun was designed to be carried.

yukon2004
03-06-2012, 18:45

+1 LOL Someone finally said it!

rahrah12
03-06-2012, 18:46
Unless your kids are magicians or pick pockets I wouldn't worry...

larson1122
03-06-2012, 19:07

:agree:

emtp2rn
03-06-2012, 19:20
I have carried around my kids with no problems. My son shoots with me. When I'm at home the gun is on me or in the safe.

I've had a use of force situation to protect my 4 year old. She was scared from the noise but rebounded quickly.

NMPOPS
03-06-2012, 20:40
My kids grew up around me carrying daily. They were taught early. Never any issues.

Sent from my Ally

janice6
03-06-2012, 20:44
^^^ good posting:thumbsup:

The English were talking about outlawing "sharp points on knives".

One astute poster asked if they were going to outlaw shop grinders too.