Cycling Issue/loose fitting bolt [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Issue/loose fitting bolt

country85
03-06-2012, 14:35
I went to the range today to try out my 20 inch heavy barrel upper I just got off of an trade. It's a model one upper with BCG being model one also. When i first got it I noticed how loose the bolt fit in the carrier. I didn't think too much of it until today at the range when i had a straight pull bolt action instead of a semi auto AR15:impatient: . I've double checked the gas system and everything is lined up and gas tube isn't blocked. Could this be gas rings that are too small? When i got home I took them off the bolt and spread the gaps a little and i can tell the bolt is acually sealing in the carrier now... Is this a common problem? Any ideas and or advice would be greatly appreciated.

WoodenPlank
03-06-2012, 14:46
Are you using a known good lower?

Pull out the BCG, pull the bolt forward, then try standing the entire BCG on the bolt itself. If the BCG sinks down, you need new gas rings.

faawrenchbndr
03-06-2012, 14:57
Do not spread or bend gas rings, will onlt lead to problems.
Buy a new set.

WoodenPlank
03-06-2012, 15:22
Do not spread or bend gas rings, will onlt lead to problems.
Buy a new set.

I'd forgotten about this until you mentioned it, honestly.

country85
03-06-2012, 16:40
Are you using a known good lower?

Pull out the BCG, pull the bolt forward, then try standing the entire BCG on the bolt itself. If the BCG sinks down, you need new gas rings.

PSA lower, built by me, I def need new one's then, hell i can pull the bolt out, look at it wrong and it falls back in lol

BBJones
03-06-2012, 21:55
PSA lower, built by me, I def need new one's then, hell i can pull the bolt out, look at it wrong and it falls back in lol

Cheap and easy fix. Could have been much worse.

country85
03-06-2012, 22:11
I know, thank God it wasn't, any particular brand better than the other? Also I looked at a "gas ring" on brownell's site that was all one piece, reviews were kind of bad, any one ever use one?

WoodenPlank
03-07-2012, 05:44
I know, thank God it wasn't, any particular brand better than the other? Also I looked at a "gas ring" on brownell's site that was all one piece, reviews were kind of bad, any one ever use one?

Gas ring on an AR is 3 pieces, and it's that way for a reason.

ArmoryDoc
03-07-2012, 08:34
It don't take much gap on the carrier key to cause this. Check your key bolts. Do the bolt test as prescibed above.

country85
03-07-2012, 08:57
Key bolts are tight(staked acually) after I spread the gas rings slightly it seals and is tight like it's supposed to be, I'm ordering new rings and we will find out then, I'm really hoping this is the problem, I traded a fairly nice carbine upper for this one and would be t'ed if this was a lemon upper

ArmoryDoc
03-07-2012, 09:04
Something else to check. Make sure nothing is plugging the gas inlet / path of the carrier key. Primers "can" become lodged down in there and cause a lot of drauma.

country85
03-07-2012, 09:41
Something else to check. Make sure nothing is plugging the gas inlet / path of the carrier key. Primers "can" become lodged down in there and cause a lot of drauma.

I didn't even think to check there, Thanks, I'll check when I get off work today and it's not blocked