new AR for $587 ? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : new AR for $587 ?

Hummerbike
03-06-2012, 15:13
Went to Walmart to buy the DPMS they have for $587 but after looking it over decided to ask your opinions.

It has a basic lower reciever. It does not have a dust cover, a forward assist or the triangle piece just to the rear of the ejection port.

How important are these things? Is it worth buying and then looking for a stripped lower to replace it with?

To me a dust cover is not important and I've never used a forward assist but if that triangle protrusion keeps brass from leaving marks on my forehead it might be a deal breaker.

What say you?

WoodenPlank
03-06-2012, 15:22
Went to Walmart to buy the DPMS they have for $587 but after looking it over decided to ask your opinions.

It has a basic lower reciever. It does not have a dust cover, a forward assist or the triangle piece just to the rear of the ejection port.

How important are these things? Is it worth buying and then looking for a stripped lower to replace it with?

To me a dust cover is not important and I've never used a forward assist but if that triangle protrusion keeps brass from leaving marks on my forehead it might be a deal breaker.

What say you?

At that price...
Don't walk, but RUN the **** away from it.

For about the same money you can get a S&W M&P Sport - it DOES have the bass deflector, and it's a MUCH better quality gun. You can also spend under $100 MORE, and get a standard AR from Palmetto State Armory.

Hummerbike
03-06-2012, 15:33
Who's selling the SW Sport at that price?

BBJones
03-06-2012, 15:39
Triangle thingy = brass deflector

I would check out PSA's offerings if my budget was on the low side.

svtpwnz
03-06-2012, 15:40
I would not take that rifle if you gave it to me. Save up a few more bucks for a better rifle, just my. 02

DieselNut
03-06-2012, 15:45
With it being dpms, you'll need a FA and dust cover lol.

Spydertime
03-06-2012, 15:54
Got my DPMS Oracle at a gun show recently for $599.00 it has a forward assist, dust cover, and triangle thingy behind the ejection port :) It is quite a good shooter to :)

WoodenPlank
03-06-2012, 15:55
Who's selling the SW Sport at that price?

Plenty of people have reported getting Sports for $600-650, you just have to runt around a bit.

bmoore
03-06-2012, 16:00
Look into Palmetto State Armory.

Hummerbike
03-06-2012, 16:07
I've got a RRA AR-15. I'm looking for a gun to keep in the fifth wheel or trunk of the car. Don't want to spend alot money for that purpose.

MrMurphy
03-06-2012, 16:46
I wouldn't take it unless it was free.

Javelin
03-06-2012, 16:51
No way. For $300 more you could get a solid firearm such as a Colt.

Patriot III
03-06-2012, 17:31
At that price...
Don't walk, but RUN the **** away from it.

For about the same money you can get a S&W M&P Sport - it DOES have the bass deflector, and it's a MUCH better quality gun. You can also spend under $100 MORE, and get a standard AR from Palmetto State Armory.

This. Get the PSA.

dotsun
03-06-2012, 17:57

What say you?

All the features you mentioned that are missing are on the upper, not the lower.

Hummerbike
03-06-2012, 19:25
All the features you mentioned that are missing are on the upper, not the lower.

Wow! You're right.

WoodenPlank
03-07-2012, 05:49

...and only then as trade fodder.

I've got a RRA AR-15. I'm looking for a gun to keep in the fifth wheel or trunk of the car. Don't want to spend alot money for that purpose.

Again, there are MUCH better deals out there for around $600. If it's gonna possibly serve as a trunk gun, though, you want something with a dust cover. I'd strongly suggest either looking into Palmetto State Armory, or saving your pennies for something nicer.

RatDrall
03-07-2012, 05:56

How important are these things?

A dust cover is very important. ARs aren't as sensetive to dust and filth as some people (AR haters) believe, but more dust inside your action is never a good thing.

I have never used a forward assist.

A brass deflector is nice if you don't like brass hitting you in the face.

Is it worth buying and then looking for a stripped lower to replace it with?

No

What say you?

Don't get it. For a few dollars more you could have a Palmetto State or Del Ton rifle, that is a complete AR15 (not missing features) with a chrome lined barrel and less corners cut in production and materials and quality control than the DPMS.

Buy this, have it sent to your local FFL. If you pay more than $30 for the transfer, you are getting screwed:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/firearms/receivers/complete-psa-ar-15-lower-classic-edition.html

or this:

http://www.del-ton.com/Del_Ton_Lower_Receiver_with_Buttstock_p/lr102.htm

Then buy this, have it shipped to your front door:

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/ar-15-05/complete-uppers/psa-16-mid-length-chrome-lined-upper.html

If you want to save $100 or so, get this, with an A2 upper, so you don't need to spend even more on a detachable carry handle or other rear sight:

http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu104.htm

With a little effort, and just a few more dollars, you can get a real AR15. The price of a few magazines or boxes of ammo isn't much to upgrade to a much better rifle. Spend $650-750 total on a complete upper and lower, and you can sell it for that, or more, when the time comes.

bullittmcqueen
03-07-2012, 06:12
This might be one of the worst rifles every manufactured. I had no idea DMPS was making "sport" type rifles now.

Avoid it like the plague.

farmer2
03-07-2012, 07:07
Here is the SW sport. It will be a much better rifle than the DPMS.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_763_977/products_id/71971/SWL+MP15SPORT+811038+5.56+16+FXMAG+10

farmer2

cyphertext
03-07-2012, 10:18
Here is the SW sport. It will be a much better rifle than the DPMS.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/36_763_977/products_id/71971/SWL+MP15SPORT+811038+5.56+16+FXMAG+10

farmer2

That link is to a CA compliant rifle. If you are outside CA, you do not want the CA compliant flavor.

farmer2
03-07-2012, 18:15
That link is to a CA compliant rifle. If you are outside CA, you do not want the CA compliant flavor.

dang...good catch. I just gave it a quick glance. You don't want the CA compliant version.

farmer2

M&P Shooter
03-07-2012, 18:55
I would not take that rifle if you gave it to me. Save up a few more bucks for a better rifle, just my. 02
Greatest advise so far this year:wavey:

BLK RIFLE
03-16-2012, 19:25
Say what you want to about the DPMS but unless you own one or have shot one don't condemn them. I have two and would put their accuracy and workmanship against any other mass produced AR.

WoodenPlank
03-16-2012, 21:00
Say what you want to about the DPMS but unless you own one or have shot one don't condemn them. I have two and would put their accuracy and workmanship against any other mass produced AR.

I've handled and shot enough DPMS rifles and uppers to see that brands like LMT, Noveske, Colt, DD, etc. put out a vastly superior product.

While it's possible to get a rifle from DPMS that is solid and reliable, you still will not see the build quality of the higher end brands.

If you shoot a couple hundred rounds a year on the range, and nothing else, then DPMS will probably be fine for you.

LA_357SIG
03-17-2012, 00:33
I've handled and shot enough DPMS rifles and uppers to see that brands like LMT, Noveske, Colt, DD, etc. put out a vastly superior product.

While it's possible to get a rifle from DPMS that is solid and reliable, you still will not see the build quality of the higher end brands.

If you shoot a couple hundred rounds a year on the range, and nothing else, then DPMS will probably be fine for you.

I have to ask. Was this revelation before or after "The Chart" came out? I find some of you guys hillarious. You handled and shot enough DPMS rifles to see that they are ****? Tell me oh great one. How did the non chrome lined 1/9 barrel and unstaked castle nut affect the performance of the DPMS rifles that apparently cannot hold a candle to Colt, Noveske, DD etc? Please. Stop the elitist bull****.

To the OP: "If i was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting." -durabo

The non-chrome lined barrel and lack of parkerizing under the FSB will not affect your ability to use it in a self defense situation. Shoot it. Evaluate it. Change what doesn't work. End of story.

LA_357SIG
03-17-2012, 00:41

Really? Come on man. They are not cast and 6160T receivers anymore. You should be responsible enough as an end user to check if the carrier key bolts, castle and barrel nuts are properly torqued. The lack of "proper" staking should be phased out as what makes a fighting rifle worth internet approval just as the 1/7 barrel twist.

Javelin
03-17-2012, 00:43
I have to ask. Was this revelation before or after "The Chart" came out? I find some of you guys hillarious. You handled and shot enough DPMS rifles to see that they are ****? Tell me oh great one. How did the non chrome lined 1/9 barrel and unstaked castle nut affect the performance of the DPMS rifles that apparently cannot hold a candle to Colt, Noveske, DD etc? Please. Stop the elitist bull****.

To the OP: "If i was you I would keep it just like it is... and shoot the **** out of it until something breaks. Then replace whatever it is and keep shooting." -durabo

The non-chrome lined barrel and lack of parkerizing under the FSB will not affect your ability to use it in a self defense situation. Shoot it. Evaluate it. Change what doesn't work. End of story.

I'll chime in on those brands you mentioned. I owned 2 DPMS rifles (currently only own 1) and currently own 4 Noveske rifles so take my "elitist" answer or leave it. I don't care I own em, paid my $, so I feel can give my opinion on the subject. Again, take it or leave it.

My DPMS 5.56 rifle was over gassed, not very accurate, messed up brass casings during it's FTF fits, and was overall not enjoyable to shoot. Just a crap plinker gun at best.

Shooting a Noveske is smooth, extremely accurate, no FTF, and yeah a joy to shoot. And believe it or not the real expense of shooting is the trip to the range and cost of ammo which is the same to shoot a Noveske or a DPMS.

I do agree that the OP could just shoot the DPMS or sell it and get his money back out. He's not invested too deep in it. In the end it's just money and folks can do what they want.

:thumbsup:

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 00:56

I knew DPMS was crap long before I ever even heard of "the chart."

I'll chime in on those brands you mentioned. I owned 2 DPMS rifles (currently only own 1) and currently own 4 Noveske rifles so take my "elitist" answer or leave it. I don't care I own em, paid my $, so I feel can give my opinion on the subject. Again, take it or leave it.

My DPMS 5.56 rifle was over gassed, not very accurate, messed up brass casings during it's FTF fits, and was overall not enjoyable to shoot. Just a crap plinker gun at best.

Shooting a Noveske is smooth, extremely accurate, no FTF, and yeah a joy to shoot. And believe it or not the real expense of shooting is the trip to the range and cost of ammo which is the same to shoot a Noveske or a DPMS.

I do agree that the OP could just shoot the DPMS or sell it and get his money back out. He's not invested too deep in it. In the end it's just money and folks can do what they want.

Sums up my experiences with DPMS almost perfectly.

Someone looking for a range toy might not care about the corners that were cut in their gun, but someone that uses one for HD/SD, duty, etc. damn sure should.

LA_357SIG
03-17-2012, 01:01

Was it a 16" carbine? How many 16" carbines have you shot, that are not "overgassed?"

For the record, the only carbine gas AR-15 I own is a piston parts build. My other D.I. AR-15's are mid and rifle gas systems. ETA: 16" carbines in general are problematic without bandaid fixes.

chris in va
03-17-2012, 01:33
My Sport has been stellar...3000 rounds now. I'd go for that if you're limited on funds.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

TangoFoxtrot
03-17-2012, 05:58
Yep My M&P Sport only cost me $610 and has ran without any issues. Although some gun snobs think the Sport is below them.

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 19:10
Yep My M&P Sport only cost me $610 and has ran without any issues. Although some gun snobs think the Sport is below them.

The only major flaw I see in the S&W Sport is the lack of a dust cover. For the price they are going for, it's a great, entry level AR.

The DPMS sport is a different case entirely.

cyphertext
03-17-2012, 22:41
The only major flaw I see in the S&W Sport is the lack of a dust cover. For the price they are going for, it's a great, entry level AR.

If the Sport had a dust cover, I think it would cannibalize sales from the rest of the M&P line. For an off the shelf, complete rifle backed by a reputable manufacturer, it is hard to beat at the price point. After I bought mine, a dealer on a local board that I frequent told me that I could have purchased a Spikes Tactical through him for about the same price. If I would have known that at the time, not sure which way I would have went. :dunno:

TunaFisherman
03-17-2012, 22:49
I am in no way a expert on black rifles but these DPMS threads are getting old.
DO the research,,, every reputable forum will tell you the same, they are a low quality rifle. Doesnt anyone use Google anymore?
He says he owns a RRA but still doesnt know the differnce between a lower and upper and that "triangle" thing. PLEASE Read more... use the search and post less thank you

ps, I plan on buying a M&P Sport to go with my BCM and COLT ARs. My buddy has had one for a few months and loves it. No FWD assist or dust cover,,not needed anyways,

WoodenPlank
03-17-2012, 23:08
I am in no way a expert on black rifles but these DPMS threads are getting old.
DO the research,,, every reputable forum will tell you the same, they are a low quality rifle. Doesnt anyone use Google anymore?
He says he owns a RRA but still doesnt know the differnce between a lower and upper and that "triangle" thing. PLEASE Read more... use the search and post less thank you

ps, I plan on buying a M&P Sport to go with my BCM and COLT ARs. My buddy has had one for a few months and loves it. No FWD assist or dust cover,,not needed anyways,

While I agree that a forward assist isn't needed (it's what the dimple in the carrier is for, actually), especially since improper use of the FA can make a simple malfunction worse, but the lack of a dust cover does annoy me.

smokin762
03-17-2012, 23:08
OP, another option is you could buy a PSA Upper in the configuration that you want and go to the Gun Show and look around for a used Lower of decent quality.

The only drawback that I see from PSA is, they seem to be back ordered on a lot of their Complete Uppers. Sometimes you may need to play the waiting game due to your money situation. But it will be worth it in the long run.

Javelin
03-18-2012, 01:15
Was it a 16" carbine? How many 16" carbines have you shot, that are not "overgassed?"

For the record, the only carbine gas AR-15 I own is a piston parts build. My other D.I. AR-15's are mid and rifle gas systems. ETA: 16" carbines in general are problematic without bandaid fixes.

It was a 16" in 5.56. I still have the overgassed 18" 7.62 DPMS.

The ones that are not over-gassed are a couple Colts and a few Noveske rifles. I had an Armalite 16" that was not overgassed but ended up selling it to fund a 4th Noveske.