Do you have a prefrence? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you have a prefrence?

Ken43
03-06-2012, 16:21
I carry either a G26 or a Kahr PM9. I ran across a box of 124 gr. +P golden saber. Can't really remember how I came by them but I have them. I have been carrying Federal 147 gr. HST. Do you have an opinion as to which of the above mentioned would be the best to carry for self defense?

Mas Ayoob
03-06-2012, 23:06
My own first choices in 9mm are Winchester 127 grain +P+ and Speer 124 grain +P, both well proven on the street and both produced to a nominal 1250 foot-seconds velocity.

If my only choices were the two you mentioned, I'd face a conundrum. Conceptually, in other brands, the 124 +P has worked great. However, Speer and Winchester seem to dominate that market, and I don't personally have any input on actual shootings with the Golden Saber in that particular flavor. I put more weight than some do on the "experiential model," collective experience from the field. YMMV.

The better, modern 147 grain subsonics are working out, and one of those is the HST, which certainly IS street-proven.

So, while I'd personally be inclined toward the 124 +P conceptually, I've no data on it in the Golden Saber, and do have positive feedback on the 147 HST. If those two loads all I had, maybe I'd flip a coin.

Remember that you have lots of options, and that you want to run at least a couple hundred rounds of your chosen carry load through your gun to make sure it works for YOU and YOUR pistol.

Best wishes,
Mas