Brief question about AR-15 grip. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Brief question about AR-15 grip.

Brucev
03-07-2012, 09:31
I have a COLT Hbar that is all original. I enjoy shooting it. A while back I came home from a afternoon at the range. We had guest coming over so I had to put everything up quickly. I put the rifle behind the door to my office. Sometime during the evening the our cat found my rifle and "chewed" on the pistol grip. The scratches and grooves she left are a surprise. I now need to replace the pistol grip. Where might I buy a COLT pistol grip for this rifle? Is it a big deal to change it out? Sincerely. Brucev.

P.S. For the time being, the cat is still alive. :steamed:

bmoore
03-07-2012, 09:36
PM me your address, I will ship you an A2 grip. It wont be a Colt I think its a Palmetto state armory.

Edit--Just re read your post, saw the Colt in all caps lock, if you are set on a Colt then this will not work for you.

bmoore
03-07-2012, 09:41
Found them on Brownells for 15.99.

bmoore
03-07-2012, 09:50
Easy to replace. Seperate your upper from you lower (optional). Turn the lower upside down so you are looking at the bottom of the grip. Should be a flat or allen head screw in the grip. Back out the screw and SLOWLY remove the grip. In the grip there is a detent spring which holds pressure on your safety selector detent.

Pull the grip off taking note of the hole in the top of your A2 grip where the spring goes into and the hole in the actual lower in the rifle. Put the spring in the new grip, line up the spring with the hole in the lower and screw the new grip on. Holding the lower upside down keeps the safety selector detent from falling to the floor and being lost.

DirectDrive
03-07-2012, 16:01
I have a COLT Hbar that is all original. I enjoy shooting it. A while back I came home from a afternoon at the range. We had guest coming over so I had to put everything up quickly. I put the rifle behind the door to my office. Sometime during the evening the our cat found my rifle and "chewed" on the pistol grip. The scratches and grooves she left are a surprise. I now need to replace the pistol grip. Where might I buy a COLT pistol grip for this rifle? Is it a big deal to change it out? Sincerely. Brucev.

P.S. For the time being, the cat is still alive. :steamed:
For a genuine Colt....
http://www.specializedarmament.com/products/PISTOL_GRIP_M16A2_COLT-302-0.html

This is a commodity part and I don't think there is anything special about the "Colt blessed" A2 grip.
They probably roll off the same lines as the other grips from the contract suppliers.
You pay 3x as much for the Colt.

Moore gave some important info on the spring/detent situation that you will have to deal with.