Carrying 2 guns. Too much? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying 2 guns. Too much?

BamaTrooper
03-07-2012, 09:59
I have read several threads that conatin phrases like "5 shots is enough" "Why carry a second gun?" "Why carry a spare mag?", etc...

This is posted regarding a thread in GnG, but I thought it might be applicable here-

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/03/06/2699585/suspect-killed-during-robbery.html

In particular "...The store owner shot at Deas until his pistol was empty, police said. Then he removed a second pistol from his belt and shot at Deas until he was on the ground and not moving, the report said. ..."

Several things from this story stood out as appropriate for this forum-
Situational awareness
Shooting until the threat stopped
Multiple attackers
Carrying enough ammo

Dalton Wayne
03-07-2012, 10:12
That is why I carry a bug, and reloads for both my main gun and bug,
I carry two extra mags for my 1911, and three speed strips for my 442

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/Daltonlwayne/DSCN0003.jpg

eclark53520
03-07-2012, 10:14
2 is 1 and 1 is none.

That said, i just carry an extra mag. I don't think carrying two guns is too much though.

Rumbler_G20
03-07-2012, 10:17
Trooper, thank you.

. . . I have the feeling you are about to get flamed so I want to sneak this in there before the &%^* starts flying.

You know how people are about having their delusions shattered. ;)

firefighter4215
03-07-2012, 10:18
That's interesting. I haven't seen many cases where a bug was actually used, except for law enforcement.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

whoflungdo
03-07-2012, 10:19
2 is 1 and 1 is none.

That said, i just carry an extra mag. I don't think carrying two guns is too much though.

Clint, is that you? :wavey:

O'Conner
03-07-2012, 10:24
If I think two guns are a good idea I have a rifle with me.

I know a couple guys with three guns. Pocket backup, ankle carry and a sidearm.

ponders
03-07-2012, 10:34
2 is 1 and 1 is none.

so by that logic then 2 is also none:faint::wavey:

saxconnection
03-07-2012, 10:42
I always have a back-up, for four reasons.

1. If my primary goes down.
2. If for some reason, I am caught off-guard, and my firearm is wrestled away from me.
3. When I'm in the car, my ankle piece is EXTREMELY easy to get to.
4. The other person - I figure if SHTF while I'm out with someone, I've got one more pair of eyes and another gun with me. Also, it doesn't hurt to have one when you're in a bad area and you need to make a stop with someone in the car who is afraid (say maybe your wife who doesn't carry, but has been to the range).

Just my $.02

Adam

ca survivor
03-07-2012, 11:13
That is why I carry a bug, and reloads for both my main gun and bug,
I carry two extra mags for my 1911, and three speed strips for my 442

http://i647.photobucket.com/albums/uu192/Daltonlwayne/DSCN0003.jpg
nice, simple and effective.

fastbolt
03-07-2012, 13:19
I've always been more concerned about how well someone maintained their primary weapon, were able to properly (including SAFELY) manipulate & handle it, and were able to shoot it accurately & effectively (especially under at least induced range drills & qual conditions).

As long as they complied with existing policies, regulations, restrictions, qualifications, etc ... I wasn't concerned with their choice to carry (or not carry) a secondary weapon on or off-duty.

Now, if they indicated in some manner that they felt carrying a secondary weapon was in some way intended to compensate for lack-luster or neglected skills with their primary weapon? That concerned me.

FWIW, I didn't carry a secondary weapon on-duty very often before retirement, and I've seldom carried one after retirement. That's me.

xmanhockey7
03-07-2012, 15:07
Whatever you prefer. If you want to carry 1,2,3,4 or even 5 guns is your choice. Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise.

DScottHewitt
03-07-2012, 15:11
I have read several threads that conatin phrases like "5 shots is enough" "Why carry a second gun?" "Why carry a spare mag?", etc...

This is posted regarding a thread in GnG, but I thought it might be applicable here-

http://www.myrtlebeachonline.com/2012/03/06/2699585/suspect-killed-during-robbery.html

In particular "...The store owner shot at Deas until his pistol was empty, police said. Then he removed a second pistol from his belt and shot at Deas until he was on the ground and not moving, the report said. ..."

Situational awareness
Multiple attackers
Carrying enough ammo

Fastest reload in the universe is usually a New York Reload.

DScottHewitt
03-07-2012, 15:13
That's interesting. I haven't seen many cases where a bug was actually used, except for law enforcement.

The AVERAGE gunfight is something like 1.3 rounds expended.

But, since when is anyone around here AVERAGE?!?!?

It's better to have a need not than to need a have not.

redbaron007
03-07-2012, 15:13
My philosophy on carrying a pistol(s)......First, personal preference; then carry for the circumstances and the dress attire.

:wavey:

red

2740dmx
03-07-2012, 16:14
http://i1062.photobucket.com/albums/t497/spec4towle/041.jpg

(alright....I actually rarely carry them both...just wanted to post pics! :whistling:)

CTfam
03-07-2012, 16:58
"He really was changing his life. He loved his family. His kids were his life," Shaeena Deas said her voice full of emotion. "He would sit with his kids and help them do their lessons. He was going to church and trying to do what was right."

:upeyes:

Interesting read. I don't carry a BUG but it's not a bad idea.

yukon2004
03-07-2012, 17:18
I've carried two before. Haven't in a long time, but I have no objections to it.

isis07734
03-07-2012, 17:58
I dont. I might if I lived in the ghetto or a winter wonderland where I could conceal em easily tho.

collim1
03-07-2012, 22:10
Nothing wrong with carrying a BUG. I always carry a BUG when on-duty.

Off-duty I carry a P239 and a spare mag, no BUG. I have on many occasions carried a 442 on my ankle in place of the reload.

NYcarry
03-07-2012, 22:18
Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. It's still a semi free country, carry away.

Landric
03-08-2012, 08:16
Off-duty I carry either a Glock 26 and a Ruger SP101 or LCR .357. On-Duty I carry the G26 as a BUG, though I may go back to carrying the LCR to save some weight.

MarkM32
03-08-2012, 09:31
Back up guns are always an interesting concept. I don't carry one on or off duty. I've always felt confident that I wouldn't have my duty weapon taken from me. But we recently had a state trooper have his taken and he was shot in the leg, then he pulled a bug from his ankle and I believe killed the suspect. Since that happened(and only 2 counties down) the concept is growing on me, though I doubt I will.

saxconnection
03-08-2012, 10:05
Back up guns are always an interesting concept. I don't carry one on or off duty. I've always felt confident that I wouldn't have my duty weapon taken from me. But we recently had a state trooper have his taken and he was shot in the leg, then he pulled a bug from his ankle and I believe killed the suspect. Since that happened(and only 2 counties down) the concept is growing on me, though I doubt I will.

I recall a similar story of a an officer who had his gun taken away during a stop. The BG told him told him to get on his knees, and was preparing to shoot him in the head. The cop asked the criminal if in hes decency, he could have one last moment to pray to god before the BG took his life. The BG consented, when the cop noticed for a split second that the BG was distracted, he pulled his BUG from his ankle holster and dispatched the guy, post haste.

Life can catch any one of us by surprise. One could be the most well-trained cop in the world, yet may miss one small thing that could end up with them on their knees, wishing for a back up gun.

My take on the subject is you can never be too prepared. In all reality, a BUG isn't all that extreme an idea.

My other $.02

Adam

HKLovingIT
03-08-2012, 14:12
Is it Florida or Georgia state police / highway patrol that issues a G39 and G37 to each trooper?

Anyway,

I have carried a Smith 442 in pocket and G26 on belt or P2000 on belt and P2000sk in car. Depends, and the "depends" is usually when I'm going into some really crummy places in the city on business or if I am traveling in the sparsely policed hinterlands of my state.

Normally, my Lilly white suburban existence only requires my keys and phone for EDC. Though I do always carry. :cool:

I don't think two is kooky if you see the need. If I was a police patrol officer I think I would carry three. Service size on duty rig, baby Glock on ankle, Smith airweight in offside pocket. But I'm not a cop so that may just be too much TV talking there. :supergrin: :dunno:

Warp
03-08-2012, 14:19
Is it Florida or Georgia state police / highway patrol that issues a G39 and G37 to each trooper?

I don't think it's GA. Could be wrong. I have a local county PD that issues a G22/G27 to each officer, last I checked.

I only carry one gun. I rarely carry a spare magazine, though I generally carry a reload if the one gun is a revolver. If carrying a second gun were more comfortable/convenient I would. But it isn't, so I don't.

To each their own.

Jim S.
03-08-2012, 15:48
Whatever you carry, or how many you carry, it is important to be comfortable enough to do it "normally".
If it is not comfortable then you will not do it for long.
I suppose it depends on where you carry a second gun and how large or small it is.
I can carry two 1911's comfortably but not two G21's for some reason.
I'm not comfortable with small guns so I don't carry them.
My smallest is a G36 which I can carry with the 21, but I don't.
I guess if I felt that I needed two guns I would re-evaluate where I was going and why.

1canvas
03-08-2012, 21:23
if one gun is a good idea two is better. most encounters will be close, maybe contact range. i think you are more likely to loose your gun in a gun grab than a malfunction of a quality gun. either way a second gun is smart to have.
i don't think the second gun has to be big but a j-frame or 380 IMO is a reasonable compromise. in more threatening atmosphere i like the 23/27 combo with a third gun being the j-frame or 380.

Warp
03-08-2012, 21:59
if one gun is a good idea two is better. most encounters will be close, maybe contact range. i think you are more likely to loose your gun in a gun grab than a malfunction of a quality gun. either way a second gun is smart to have.
i don't think the second gun has to be big but a j-frame or 380 IMO is a reasonable compromise. in more threatening atmosphere i like the 23/27 combo with a third gun being the j-frame or 380.

That is an interesting position. I cannot disprove it, but my observations lead me to a different opinion.

I have read many an article that involved a weapon malfunctioning. I have experienced bad ammunition, from the very "best" manufacturers and in the very "best" product lines that choked my well maintained Glock.

I have not, however, read of very many gun grabs or other such incidents. I can think of only three, ever, that I have read of or been told about. The number of malfunctions of a quality gun with quality ammunition, however...far too numerous to even consider counting.

KentuckyPatriot
03-08-2012, 22:04
Primarily my LC9 (and 2 mags) due to business casual, but on occasions a G36...always a Bodyguard 380 with two additional mags as backup.

Never know where I will be, so I bring my own friends with me! :supergrin:

ScottieG59
03-08-2012, 22:18
As a civilian, I have not carried two guns. In the Army, there were a few times I carried a sidearm along with my machine gun.

I have considered carrying my Kahr P380 as a backup gun, but I do not dress tactical as a civilian. I also have not purchased special concealment clothing.

I understand the backup gun is not just for when the primary weapon fails. It is also for when the primary side is injured or otherwise unable to be used.

It would be easier, but I carry keys, my wallet, a mobile phone and extra mags for the primary weapon. There is just not that much space and I do not wear an equipment belt.

If you can get by with two weapons, that is good.

Besides, you need extra weapons to do a proper New York Reload.

Hour13
03-08-2012, 23:05
Sort of... I have two when I head to work. The HK is my EDC, but when I'm actually working in the shop it stays in my tool cart, and I have a stupid little Taurus .380 in my pocket.

I absolutely HATE "pocket-rockets". But it really is alot more convenient when I'm crawling around under these old Mustangs, lol.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn269/hour13/gun%20stuff/100_4774.jpg

smokin762
03-09-2012, 17:03
I think a CCW holder should carry whatever they feel comfortable with and is legal for them.

Since, the State of Ohio does not have a clear interpretation of legal length of blades for knives that are carried, each Municipality makes up these laws as they go and they vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Because of this, I have found it a little difficult to carry a knife on my left side, in case I have to fight somebody off of me, before I was able to draw my firearm if I was attacked.

I have been thinking of just carrying a holstered J-Frame in my left front pocket, instead of trying to figure out if I am legal in every City in Ohio with a certain size knife. I think it would also be easier and less complicated just to carry another handgun. The second handgun would eliminate, me having to fumble around with trying to open a knife with one hand.

Just my thought. :dunno:

Warp
03-09-2012, 20:42
I think a CCW holder should carry whatever they feel comfortable with and is legal for them.

Since, the State of Ohio does not have a clear interpretation of legal length of blades for knives that are carried, each Municipality makes up these laws as they go and they vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.

Because of this, I have found it a little difficult to carry a knife on my left side, in case I have to fight somebody off of me, before I was able to draw my firearm if I was attacked.

I have been thinking of just carrying a holstered J-Frame in my left front pocket, instead of trying to figure out if I am legal in every City in Ohio with a certain size knife. I think it would also be easier and less complicated just to carry another handgun. The second handgun would eliminate, me having to fumble around with trying to open a knife with one hand.

Off the top of my head it seems like there were some cities, or at least one, in Ohio that restricted "Saturday night specials"...and the definition comes down to nothing more than size. Sound familiar?

1canvas
03-09-2012, 21:47

thats why i usually have my p3at with the clip in my left pocket. thats something though, i can carry any number of guns but no knife.

shamrockmusic
03-09-2012, 21:57
i think that unless you are doing a new york style reload method the 2 is a yes... i say 1 is enough, carry a extra mag. you should get your pcg to a point that its just second nature, with you and its functions

smokin762
03-11-2012, 06:35
Off the top of my head it seems like there were some cities, or at least one, in Ohio that restricted "Saturday night specials"...and the definition comes down to nothing more than size. Sound familiar?

Ohio has preemption. At least that will work in my favor. :supergrin:

smokin762
03-11-2012, 06:39
thats why i usually have my p3at with the clip in my left pocket. thats something though, i can carry any number of guns but no knife.

It makes no sense. We can get a permit to carry a concealed firearm if we qualify, but we can’t be trusted to carry a knife. :fist:

huggytree
03-11-2012, 07:08
i think 2 guns is too much unless you live in a high crime area or have a dangerous job

i wouldnt consider it unless im going into a war zone and then id take my AR or AK

a 2nd clip is something id consider if going into a dangerous neighborhood

i think a 2nd gun is over kill for the average joe CCW'r

Bill Lumberg
03-11-2012, 07:49
2 is 2 and 1 is 1. For ccw, consider carrying an extra mag in case of a malfunction.

steveksux
03-11-2012, 08:01

Sounds familiar, also remember the story about Lance, the jewelry store owner that was robbed a number of times? I think he went though a number of pistols on some of them.

I'm a computer geek, not a gunslinger. I only need 1 gun.

That's why I carry 2. If one hand/side/arm is injured I will grab the one easily accessible to the remaining good hand. #1 rule in computers: always make sure you have a good backup.

Randy

Bren
03-11-2012, 08:54

Many departments issue a backup gun. The state police here issue a G35 and a G27 with an ankle holster. When my brother was a deputy, in a department with 3 or 4 deputies, they issued a S&W 1076 and a Walther PPK/S with ankle holster, same as the state police issued back then (and up to about 2003).

I always carried a backup on duty when I was a police officer - usually a S&W 60 in an Uncle Mike's ankle holster. Off-duty and as a civilian, I usually carry 1 gun or less.

Bren
03-11-2012, 08:58

Here, with or without a permit, you can carry any weapon and any number of them, from straight razors and throwing stars to belt-fed machineguns, subject to federal law. The permit just allows you to conceal them.

Deaf Smith
03-11-2012, 09:19
For a low capacity weapon, like a 5-6 shot revolver, that cannot not be truly recharged fast under realistic conditions, yes carry two and consider the spare gun your reload.

Higher capacity weapons that are not very reliable I can see a backup weapon in case of a malfunction.

And those higher capacity weapons that are renowned for their reliability, well just a spare mag will do.

As FB said, be more concerned about your skills and weapon maintenance than anything else.

For myself, when packing any of my subcompact Glocks as primary I just carry a spare mag.

When packing my J .38 as primary, my P32 keltec is the spare ammo!

I never pack the P32 as primary!!!

Deaf

Bachi
03-11-2012, 09:29
Beware of the man with one gun, he may just well know how to use it ,

Darkangel1846
03-11-2012, 11:24

Situational awareness
Multiple attackers
Carrying enough ammo

Most I know only carry one , some two. But I do know guys that carry three, a blade, a shotgun in the back seat and a rifle in the trunk.....depends on how you feel.:wavey:

jack76590
03-11-2012, 16:04
For me a second or even third gun is more about access. A jframe may not be the equal to a G19 in a fight, but you can have your hand on Jframe if you are in dark parking lot, see suspicious people, etc. And for a fast draw hand on the gun is hard to beat. So in some case the so called BUG becomes primary.

F350
03-11-2012, 16:56
For me a second or even third gun is more about access. A jframe may not be the equal to a G19 in a fight, but you can have your hand on Jframe if you are in dark parking lot, see suspicious people, etc. And for a fast draw hand on the gun is hard to beat. So in some case the so called BUG becomes primary.

+1

If I am going to be in a city after dark (taking wife to dinner etc) I will have my Para P-14 .45 on the right side, at least 1 spare mag left side and a .380 in the left rear pocket. When walking in a parking lot/garage or along a nearly deserted street I will carry the .380 in my left hand not just have my hand on it. They are so small someone would really have to look to see it.

In warm weather I use a Galco Sky-op tuckable and the spare mag is in what looks like a multi-tool pouch. The draw from a tuckable can be a bit slow and cumbersome, so the .380 in the hand is a bunch quicker.

Warp
03-11-2012, 19:08
A Kevlar vest would be better IMO than a second gun

smokin762
03-12-2012, 08:49
A Kevlar vest would be better IMO than a second gun

I thought I read somewhere that a Kevlar Vest has a shelf life. If that is true, that could be very expensive to keep up with the latest and the greatest. Those things are expensive. :wow:

Warp
03-12-2012, 10:09
I thought I read somewhere that a Kevlar Vest has a shelf life. If that is true, that could be very expensive to keep up with the latest and the greatest. Those things are expensive. :wow:

The shelf life isn't that short. The more sweat you get on it, the shorter though.

It would cost less than another gun, ammo, holster, sights, continual practice, etc

it wouldn't have to be the latest and greatest

1canvas
03-12-2012, 10:37
The shelf life isn't that short. The more sweat you get on it, the shorter though.

It would cost less than another gun, ammo, holster, sights, continual practice, etc

i thought you were joking.

Warp
03-12-2012, 10:38
i thought you were joking.

Why would I be joking? What would you rather have for a gunfight...a gun with a spare mag and a Kevlar vest OR two guns with two spare mags?

If the risk is perceived as high enough to justify a second gun and magazine why not a vest?

Glenn E. Meyer
03-12-2012, 11:11
The vest comment is not really relevant to the two gun issue or extra mag issue.

1. The redundant firepower is for failures. Not because you went to a bad neighborhood. If you are in a good neighborhood and get into a gun fight it is a bad neighborhood now. Guns fail in richy richy land and crappy crappy land with equal probabilty as far as we know.

2. So you have a vest and a nonfunctional gun. Why, now you can't continue in the fight. So I as the armed opponent can happily shoot your legs, groin, pelvis, arms and head.

3. Yeah, it would be nice to wear a vest, but the discomfort factor far exceeds that of a BUG for most of us.

It's all relative risk and how easy it is to reduce the risks. Malfunction reduction by a BUG or extra mag is easy. Wearing a vest all day is hard on police who have a higher risk profile and very hard for a civilian.

1canvas
03-12-2012, 11:13
Why would I be joking? What would you rather have for a gunfight...a gun with a spare mag and a Kevlar vest OR two guns with two spare mags?

If the risk is perceived as high enough to justify a second gun and magazine why not a vest?

first a vest is not very practical, they are uncomfortable, they are thick, heavy, and hot. they provide minimal protected areas. my brother is a LEO and i was checking his out and he said try wearing that for 10hrs a day. the detectives and plain clothes don't wear them unless they are serving a warrant.
now lets say your gun either malfunctions, you have a bad load stuck in the barrel, a double feed, gun taken away, or the gun justs breaks, all things that can easily happen.
i'll take a second gun and reload.
i don't even think there is a SD shooting school that would advise their students to wear a vest over a second gun.
on top of that if you get stopped and discovered by a clear thinking LEO to have a bullet proof vest on you are in for a long evening with the police.
so i respectfuly disagree with you:wavey:.

John Rambo
03-12-2012, 13:04
If you can't carry a second gun because of your vest then you obviously need more MOLLE webbing on your clothing, because you're woefully underprepared.

G26AZ
03-12-2012, 14:00
Generally when going out and about by myself, I carry either my G26 or G19, and one extra mag on the opposite side. If my wife is going with me, I usually stick a Kel-Tec .380 in my left front pocket that I can hand to her if the SHTF. She has her own Kel-Tec that she sometime carries when by herself, but when I'm along she says that I am her protection and she doesn't need hers. I've tried and tried to get her to carry all the time, but so far it has fallen on deaf ears. I've even used the scenario that what if I get hit - then what are you going to do? She says she'll roll my carcass over and get my Glock if she needs to . . . .

timbo813
03-12-2012, 17:14
I will probably never be in the habit of carrying two guns. The likelyhood of needing two is so low that it is acceptable risk for me. If I was in law enforcement I would be going towards trouble intentionally and I would probably carry two guns.

If I wanted to reduce my risk it would be more beneficial to give up riding motorcycles rather than carry two guns.

It is all about balancing risk versus comfort, convenience, cost, etc. At some point everybody just has to say "this is enough weapons for me to carry". Otherwise we would all drive to walmart in a tank and wear full body armor while carrying an assault rifle. Find your own balance. If you want to carry five guns that is fine with me.

Warp
03-12-2012, 17:49
first a vest is not very practical, they are uncomfortable, they are thick, heavy, and hot. they provide minimal protected areas. my brother is a LEO and i was checking his out and he said try wearing that for 10hrs a day. the detectives and plain clothes don't wear them unless they are serving a warrant.

I am aware of their comfort.

now lets say your gun either malfunctions, you have a bad load stuck in the barrel, a double feed, gun taken away, or the gun justs breaks, all things that can easily happen.

Now let's say that you get shot. I'd take the vest

smokin762
03-13-2012, 09:38

Maybe just my own thought here but I would think a person with a CCW would want to stay as low key as possible and not draw attention.

While I do understand the benefits of a Vest, wouldn’t it draw unwanted attention? I would think when a person wears a Vest, there are distinguishing feature that would give it away and might become alarming to some people. :dunno:

Or I am just over analyzing what other people might perceive. :embarassed:

Chowser
03-13-2012, 10:45
this was my loadout:
http://img580.imageshack.us/img580/8936/dsc01626kz.jpg

retired the .45 to home gun.

this is my current loadout:

http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/5932/p1030906g.jpg

i did buy a Kahr CM9 for pocket carry, but loaned it to a dispatcher recently, so i am waiting for a gen4 32 to supplement my gen3 33. i have four gen4 31s on order as well but my dealer says Glock is behind a couple hundred thousand guns.

Warp
03-13-2012, 18:58
Maybe just my own thought here but I would think a person with a CCW would want to stay as low key as possible and not draw attention.

While I do understand the benefits of a Vest, wouldn’t it draw unwanted attention? I would think when a person wears a Vest, there are distinguishing feature that would give it away and might become alarming to some people.

Or I am just over analyzing what other people might perceive.

Depends on the climate and clothing. In hot climates/summertime, it would stick out. And be hot.

My point is simply that it really doesn't make sense, to me, when I think about it, how much people worry about being able to shoot/hit in a gunfight but never seem to even consider something for if/when they get shot.

Not getting shot is more important, generally, than shooting the other guy(s)

G31
03-13-2012, 20:37
Yep...first rule of a gunfight is to avoid being shot. Everything else is a bonus.

Just like anything else, this topic is going to get bombarded with opinions from all six sides...top, bottom, left, right, front, and back. Two guns might be carrying light for some, while it's outrageously excessive for others. Two guns is too much for me, and was even uncomfortable on duty. Two guns also means you have to keep track of, and retain, two weapons in a fight. One of my depts. didn't allow us to carry backups for this reason.

I feel good with a single semi-auto pistol and one extra magazine. I prefer 10 rounds before a reload, simply because I train to shoot 'til the target stops. With the speed at which I shoot, it will probably be 4-5 rounds before I even assess. A bullseye practitioner might be fine with a six shooter, because they might go for accuracy over speed.

thejellster05
03-13-2012, 21:13
I just got another LCP and I gotta admit I like throwing it in my offside front pocket, kinda evens me out with that Glock 19 on my strong side hip IWB. I don't feel burdened at all just "extra prepared."

smokin762
03-14-2012, 08:14
Depends on the climate and clothing. In hot climates/summertime, it would stick out. And be hot.

My point is simply that it really doesn't make sense, to me, when I think about it, how much people worry about being able to shoot/hit in a gunfight but never seem to even consider something for if/when they get shot.

Not getting shot is more important, generally, than shooting the other guy(s)

Very good point. :supergrin:

It would be nice, to be able to live and give your side of the story.

saxconnection
03-14-2012, 12:04
I have a second chance vest I take when doing tactical training. Some of the people who attend these classes don't know the first thing about firearms safety. After I saw someone ask seriously if they were expected to engage the safety on a single-action weapon, I got my vest. Not one person noticed I was wearing one... until a mosquito landed on me and a friend went to swat it. Physical contact was what it took to give me away. I don't wear my vest but for training, but I do take my J-frame along with whatever primary I decide for the day. I find the benefits outweigh the risks when carrying two guns.

I had a road rage incident where 2 guys were ready to come out of their car at me. They ran a stop sign at an offramp, and I honked to let them know, whether they ran the stop sign or not, I was getting over and making my turn. Their 10-20 miles an hour is no match for my 60 and slowing down miles per hour. With the part of Detroit this was in, my j-frame was in my hand before the car came to a complete stop, and concealed behind the door. Without it, I would have had to take off my seatbelt, lean over, and draw my G19 all of which could have been seen as an escalation (me getting rid of my seat belt, obviously reaching for something). With that j-frame easily at hand, there was no obvious movements on my part, and the gun was ready. They threatened me, and I calmly responded if they left their car, they would be shot. The main agitator asked if that was what I wanted, to shoot them. I replied, "It's not what I want, but it's what's gonna happen if you get out of that car."

No one ever saw my gun, but they knew looking at me, that if it was a bluff, it was a damn good one. When the light changed, the agitator smiled (the kind of smile that wasn't friendly, like an "I guess you won that round, sir" through gritted teeth kind of smile) at me and they took off.

Adam