Well, finally got my new NAS built... [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Well, finally got my new NAS built...

IndyGunFreak
03-08-2012, 10:45
I'm pretty happy w/ how it came out. After my NAS bit the dust a few weeks ago, I've been wanting to get a new one built, so I started picking up the stuff/ordering things a week or so ago.

What I ended up with:
Case -- Antec Sonata Proto -- $37. It's a discontinued case, I picked it up at Fry's. It's a nice case, plenty roomy enough. Nice thing was, it had a place to mount my 2.5in OS drive. So I didn't need to pick up a bracket (although it was a pain to mount... Antec could have thought that through a little better).

MSI 760GM Motherboard --- $49. Also picked up at Fry's. They had some pretty good deals on some clearance stufff. My NAS doesn't need to be a "barn burner".. so this was perfect.

2.8gighz AMD Sempron CPU -- $39. Again, not the fastest on the block, but it will serve this task more than adequately. Also picked up at Fry's.

500w Antec True Power -- I have no idea what I paid for this. I've had it for about 6mo when I decided on this project a while ago(this project has been long delayed), I tacked it onto another order I was making for someone else to save the shipping. I think it was around $50

8gigs of 1333 DDR3 --- $34 (caught a sale at TD last week, still going if you're interested: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1412135&CatId=4534 )

Kept my old drives (2, 1.5tb SATA hard drives, 1, 2.5in 80gig SATA drive, the 2.5in drive serves as a drive dedicated to my OS).

This is the first time I've shopped so extensively at Fry's. I was pleasantly surprised at their prices. Usually, I just bought cases there, since cases are so expensive to ship. When I went out there to look at cases, I noticed they had some pretty good deals on Motherboards/CPU's as well.

Toyman
03-08-2012, 12:09
So did you use FreeNAS?

IndyGunFreak
03-08-2012, 12:29
No... Just using Ubuntu Server. I thought about putting OpenMediaVault on it, and I still might.. but Ubuntu Server is just so easy to use(for me anyway), it's an obvious choice. My last experience w/ FreeNas, was NASTY.. won't be using that again. OMV is good, and I still like it a lot.

pal2511
03-08-2012, 19:24
IGF have you tried hooking ubuntu server onto an enviroment with active directory? Was wondering how well it would work out.

IndyGunFreak
03-08-2012, 22:55
IGF have you tried hooking ubuntu server onto an enviroment with active directory? Was wondering how well it would work out.

No I haven't, but this may give you some insight.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ActiveDirectoryHowto