What's Your On-Person, EDC S/P Kit? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's Your On-Person, EDC S/P Kit?

Bolster
03-08-2012, 12:28
Thought a thread on what we carry with us at (nearly) all times would be an interesting S/P thread. Here's my kit that's almost always on my person, fits in pockets:

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j435/Bolsterman/bolster-edc.jpg

- Maxped Micro Pocket Organizer
- Blackberry (ick, but it still works) in Tumbuk2 pocket
- Spyderco Dialex Jr.

Inside the Maxped, left to right:

- Card organizer (Target) with cards and some flat items including: survival notes, fresnel lens, wipe, duct tape, band aid, safety pin, floss, micro USB drive.
- Squirt PS4
- Telescoping Zebra Pen with Fischer Pressurized Refill
– Suunto Mini Compass
- 4Sevens Preon, the Hi CRI model
- Slim Clip for few most used cards, cash, and note paper
- Pill Case stuffed with various meds
- Straw tube of 3 matches and tinder
- Cut-down keys with McGizmo clip and Ti Atwood Gasbaby

If a quick daytime trip into a store, the whole Maxped may not make it in, but the Slim Clip makes a nice compact "wallet" on its own.

What do you carry?

Chindo18Z
03-08-2012, 15:21
Always Carry:

Digital Watch (Casio G-Shock)
Wrist Compass (Suunto)
Pocket Knife (2.25" Spyderco)
Bic Butane Lighter
Fenix PD30 LED Flashlight
ID/Cash/ATM Cards
Wallet Fresnel Lens
Cell Phone

runcible68
03-08-2012, 16:03
Cell phone, Fenix LD01 flashlight, Sog Flash One knife and my wallet. I travel light.

quake
03-08-2012, 17:05
I don't carry a kit or pack, just stuff in pockets.

Cell phone, spyderco delica, wallet (with fresnel lens in addition to normal junk), P32, keyring with mini-multitool and fenix E15, and pen & B&D Executive Edge knife in shirt pocket.

Almost forgot wristwatch; analog which works as a fair compass as well.

Sometimes more than that, but that's all I can claim as "always".

lawman800
03-09-2012, 01:52
Watch
Smart Phone
Folding Knife
Fire Source (Lighter)
Pen
Flashlight
Cash
Kleenex
Credit Card

syntaxerrorsix
03-09-2012, 08:02
In pockets everyday.

Spyderco Military and Paramilitary II.
Pen.
Quark X 123.
Spare truck key.
Slim Clip wallet.
Keys with attached Nano-Striker

usmc4641
03-09-2012, 08:29
Shirt, shoes, pants, socks, underwear, G21, wallet, dogtags, wedding ring.

pugman
03-09-2012, 09:16
At all times

G-Shock Watch
Chapstick
Bic Lighter (if I got a penny for every time I heard "you don't smoke" I would be rich)
G26 w/one spare mag whenever I can
Benchmade mini-grip
A nearly 30 year old SAK Farmer my mom got from Switzerland (carried so often it WAS red at one point)
A cheap LED light
My "antique" 3 year old nonsmart phone
Wallet

I tend to have kits within a 2 minute walk at all times...one in my car...one at work which carries more stuff.

Bolster
03-09-2012, 09:41
For those who mentioned brands...seems leading brands so far are:

Spydercos being carried for knives....
Fenix lights, followed by Quarks...
Casio watches...

quake
03-09-2012, 09:51
You guys are making me remember things I forgot; medicated chapstick and a lighter.

Bolster
03-09-2012, 11:12
Chapstick just for lips? Or does it do dual duty? I must have heavy-duty lips because I have seldom ever needed Chapstick.

lawman800
03-09-2012, 11:48
I use chapstick sometimes for other areas of skin where it gets windburned or chapped from the dryness. Not very often, but once in a while I get these patches of red irritated skin on the back of my hand or forearms and a quick wipe from the chapstick really helps.

As for brands... yeah, Fenix is my light of choice for pocket carry, but I prefer a cheapie S&W folding knife which I bought for $10 and sharpened by myself rather than a $60+ Spyderco, mainly because I have lost a few Spydercos and I have never been able to lose the S&W.

It's the same thing with expensive sunglasses. I have sat on, dropped, stepped on, or lost quite a few expensive pairs but the cheap ones last me forever.

Mike2
03-09-2012, 12:22
G30, Kershaw Leek, Pill bottle with general meds, wallet with Fresnel lens, paracord for shoe laces, Bic lighter with duct tape wrap, cell phone, extra mag for g30. Bout it...

Bolster
03-09-2012, 13:14
...I prefer a cheapie S&W folding knife which I bought for $10 and sharpened by myself rather than a $60+ Spyderco, mainly because I have lost a few Spydercos and I have never been able to lose the S&W....

LOL, what a hoot! I know exactly what you mean. If I have something I don't particularly value, it sticks with me forever. When I get something new, shiny, and expensive, it's lost, ripped, stolen, scratched, or smashed in no time at all!! :sigh:

Lone Kimono
03-09-2012, 13:22
Well, Chapstick doesn't burn. Just tried it. I was hoping it would be like Vaseline.

quake
03-09-2012, 13:50
Chapstick just for lips? Or does it do dual duty?
I carry the medicated, in the light-blue tube, as it does double duty as a low-end first aid ointment. The camphor/menthol combination is somewhat of an analgesic and antibiotic all at once.

It helps prevent infection in small cuts, which is handy to be able to apply on the spot, relieves itches from mosquito bites, etc.

emt1581
03-18-2012, 19:53
Daily EDC/Clothing...

Carhartt pants
T-Shrt
Side-zip boots
1.5" leather belt

Gear...

Firearms vary but ALWAYS at least an LCP in pocket with a spare mag
CS Rajah II
Leatherman Surge
Fenix
Wallet- Tool Logic Card, Band Aid, $20
Cell Phone
Timex Indigloo Watch
Lighter
Pen

Future...

Fresnell lens in wallet
Paracord for laces

-Emt1581

ric0123
03-18-2012, 22:05
Well, Chapstick doesn't burn. Just tried it. I was hoping it would be like Vaseline.

Not directly, but I've used blistex smeared on top of a piece of kleenex and it extended the burn time since it's basically vasoline

M1A Shooter
03-18-2012, 22:20
i carry a logitec card in my wallet, logitech key on my key ring, with a fire steel, p38 can opener and a handcuff key. in my pockets is my wallet, android phone, C3-907 flashlight, kershaw folding knife, swiss army knife, lighter, and an LCP. when not at work, i will add a glock 17 to the mix.

emt1581
03-18-2012, 22:22
i carry a logitec card in my wallet, logitech key on my key ring, with a fire steel, p38 can opener and a handcuff key. in my pockets is my wallet, android phone, C3-907 flashlight, kershaw folding knife, swiss army knife, lighter, and an LCP. when not at work, i will add a glock 17 to the mix.

A P38...I forgot...that's on my key ring.

I was once told by a Colonel that if there is a job that thing can't do it didn't need to be done. Most I could get out of it was screwdriver, can opener and maybe a claw of sorts... :dunno:

-Emt1581

Creatism
03-18-2012, 22:40
Ok at work, trauma sheers, at least 3 pens a dry erase marker, 3 knifes pager smart phone wallet some kind of pocket pistol, 2 or 3 pen lights. and Chapstick,
For non work activities, 2 knifes at the moment a gerber 2 inch folder, and a sogzilla, Chapstick a pen light and either my 36 with an extra mag, or 36 and pf9. Thinking of adding a multi tool to a that as well

Typed from my iPhone.

Bolster
03-18-2012, 23:49
Fresnell lens in wallet

I found mine at the local Borders (or was it Barnes and Noble?) bookstore. They carry two types, a thin very flexy and a thick semi flexible. Don't know which is best so I bought the thicker one. I have yet to try to start a fire with one; I bet it's challenging.

emt1581
03-19-2012, 04:55
I found mine at the local Borders (or was it Barnes and Noble?) bookstore. They carry two types, a thin very flexy and a thick semi flexible. Don't know which is best so I bought the thicker one. I have yet to try to start a fire with one; I bet it's challenging.

They have them on ebay to. Plus you can buy massive packs of them 10,100, etc. Even single lenses are only a buck or two.

Thanks

-Emt1581

Bolster
03-19-2012, 08:59
I wonder if you can "stack" them to get more magnification. With only 2x magnification, it can't be easy to start a fire with these.

Maybe buying a pack of 10 is a good idea!!

quake
03-19-2012, 16:05
For small fresnel lenses: http://www.3dlens.com/shop/fresnellens.php

We buy the credit-card size in individual pouches literally by the hundred, as giveaways to customers & such, with our business name on the pouch.

This one: http://www.3dlens.com/shop/credit-card-magnifier-fresnel-lens.php is what we use, and I've been very happy with them. I carry one in my wallet and one in my shirt pocket with my business cards & such. On a full-sun day, starting a fire is no problem at all with them; I've started many a fire with one pulled from my shirt pocket. Main problem is burning a hole thru your tinder before it catches & burns. On a cloudy day, it can be difficult to impossible.

They're $32 per hundred with individual protective cases, and only $11 per hundred without the cases.

This one: http://www.3dlens.com/shop/full-page-magnifying-sheet.php is $1.40 each ($35 for a 25-pack), and is the exact same one I've bought at Books-a-Million for $9 apiece iirc. With this one (the one from books a million, but they are identical), I once accidentally set asphalt on fire. They work well.

D-E-F-E-N-S-E!
03-19-2012, 17:00
For those who mentioned brands...seems leading brands so far are:

Spydercos being carried for knives....
Fenix lights, followed by Quarks...
Casio watches...

Quark mini x 123 and a Leatherman Juice for me...

emt1581
03-19-2012, 17:56
They have 4x fresnels for $5 or $6 shipped...for 5 or 6 of them with cases on ebay. I'm going to grab some...finally.

-Emt1581

M1A Shooter
03-19-2012, 19:02
i have used my p38 as a striker for the fire steel as well. i dont like abusing my blades any more than i have to. not sure a fire steel would but the sideways drag on a sharp edge cant be great for it. maybe im overthinking it as well.

need to add a fresnel lense to the kit.

my watch is also a Timex for those keeping track of brands.

Bolster
03-20-2012, 00:20
I thought the spine of the knife was generally used to strike against a flint? But maybe yours is double edged.

TangoFoxtrot
03-20-2012, 04:31
My EDC is: Wallet, car keys, cell phone and blade thats it. I don't need to walk around like Batman with an utility belt. So I leave all the rest in my GHB in the trunk of my car.

Bolster
03-20-2012, 11:09
Your call, of course, as to how much to carry. I used to carry a "manbag" (which my daughter insisted on calling my purse) until I went on a major diet and condensed everything down to the size of the two wallets, as you saw in the first post.

I felt I should add the flashlight because I've had several occasions where the power went out while I was a mile away from my parked car, and needed a decent light immediately. Same for the multitool...I could live without it, but it's sure handy when needed.

I've also taken to the idea that I should never be without the ability to start a fire, preferably two different ways. So matches, tinder, and a fresnel make it into the kit.

I should probably add two aspirin, also, being I'm an over-the-hill man.

It's always a challenge, and takes lots of discipline, to keep the kit as small as possible, while still having 90% of what you might need on hand.

As you say, bat-belts are not cool, and part of the game is figuring out how to carry it without looking like a geek. I'm sure the two-wallet solution makes my butt look big, but I'm past caring much what people think of what my butt looks like. (And big butts are fashionable right now!)

TF, your kit has the major/bulky stuff in it already. With only minor mods you could add a fresnel, a small tool on your keyring, etc. But I totally understand your desire to go minimalist. That's actually my goal also.

WolfNotSheep
03-21-2012, 11:15
My EDC is as follows;

Glock 26 or Springfield XD9 sub-compact, in a Don Hume 715 IWB holster
Spare 17 round magazine
Maratac AAA flashlight
CRKT M21-04 folder
4'' blade Chinese Spyderco folder ($50 at a gunshow, and one badass knife)
SAK, the one-hand open kind with a locking blade and a woodsaw
Bic lighter
Keyring firesteel
Keyring button compass
P38 can opener
25' jute twine donut
44oz stainless steel bottle, topped off at every opportunity
Small notepad, pens, and a sharpie

This stuff goes with me literally every where, even while working. If there is somewhere that I'm not "permitted" to travel with them then I just don't go. And, of course, I've got a GHB in my car outfitted with a lot more gear.

Another part of EDC, and one that I feel is almost always overlooked, is your clothing. I wear work jeans (flannel lined in the winter), good boots, wool socks, an undershirt, and a long sleeve shirt (unless it's summer) almost all the time. Dressing in durable clothing, waering layers, and having the best footwear possible will go a looong way towards ensuring your survival, come what may. You need to be dressed for survival success. I'm literally on my feet 7-8 hours a day, lugging machinery around a shop and turning wrenches (there's usually grunting involved as well, I assure you it's all very manly) and I have to dress in clothing that's going to offer my skin and feet as much protection from the "elements" as possible. So, for me at least, this part of EDC is about work safety as well as survival.

Bolster
03-21-2012, 13:44
25' jute twine donut...

Multiple uses for this? Tinder,...?

Another part of EDC, and one that I feel is almost always overlooked, is your clothing.... Dressing in durable clothing, waering layers, and having the best footwear possible will go a looong way towards ensuring your survival...

Hear the man!

racerford
03-21-2012, 16:23
My EDC is: Wallet, car keys, cell phone and blade thats it. I don't need to walk around like Batman with an utility belt. So I leave all the rest in my GHB in the trunk of my car.

If I could get a real Batman utility belt, I would wear it even if it had a bat on the front. If someone laughed at me I throw a sleeping gas pellet at their feet and then draw a bat on their face with a Sharpie while they were knocked out. Then I would see who got laughed at! :supergrin:

How can you be a prepper and not want a Batbelt? :dunno: Have you no child left in you. Have you killed your inner child off completely?

Bolster
03-21-2012, 20:54
how can you be a prepper and not want a batbelt? :dunno: Have you no child left in you. Have you killed your inner child off completely?

rotfl!!

TangoFoxtrot
03-22-2012, 04:31
Your call, of course, as to how much to carry. I used to carry a "manbag" (which my daughter insisted on calling my purse) until I went on a major diet and condensed everything down to the size of the two wallets, as you saw in the first post.

I felt I should add the flashlight because I've had several occasions where the power went out while I was a mile away from my parked car, and needed a decent light immediately. Same for the multitool...I could live without it, but it's sure handy when needed.

I've also taken to the idea that I should never be without the ability to start a fire, preferably two different ways. So matches, tinder, and a fresnel make it into the kit.

I should probably add two aspirin, also, being I'm an over-the-hill man.

It's always a challenge, and takes lots of discipline, to keep the kit as small as possible, while still having 90% of what you might need on hand.

As you say, bat-belts are not cool, and part of the game is figuring out how to carry it without looking like a geek. I'm sure the two-wallet solution makes my butt look big, but I'm past caring much what people think of what my butt looks like. (And big butts are fashionable right now!)

TF, your kit has the major/bulky stuff in it already. With only minor mods you could add a fresnel, a small tool on your keyring, etc. But I totally understand your desire to go minimalist. That's actually my goal also.

Bolster, I use to carry a lot of stuff on my person, but I work in a secure government facility and can't carry all that on me.(I'm not even suppost to carry a cell phone inside but I do). So I just leave it all in my GHB. But hey I don't knock those who do carry a lot. To each his own.

If I could get a real Batman utility belt, I would wear it even if it had a bat on the front. If someone laughed at me I throw a sleeping gas pellet at their feet and then draw a bat on their face with a Sharpie while they were knocked out. Then I would see who got laughed at! :supergrin:

How can you be a prepper and not want a Batbelt? :dunno: Have you no child left in you. Have you killed your inner child off completely?

Racerford, thats funny. I remember watching the original first run episodes of Batman on TV as a kid. Besides a utility belt would get caught on my cape while flying over Metropolis.:whistling:

Clark

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 07:49
I drag a LOT of gear daily, but then I may or may not even be coming home each day.

I start the week with a week's worth of clothing--merino wool socks, drawers, t-shirts and long sleeves, Propper bdu pants. Danner logger boots. In my carry bags and lunch box are also chargers for phone and headset, vaseline-soaked cotton balls, dryer lint, KA-BAR, Gobspark Firesteel, vitamins, melatonin, ibuprofen, pens, paper, sunblock, eye drops, spare batteries and headlamp, Sharpie, spare bootlaces, soap/shampoo/toothbrush/toothpaste, bandana, water, coffee, two meals, cell phone and headset, earplugs, sleep mask, Simple Green Go-Jo, multi-tool, a few box-ends, glasses cleaner kit, sunglasses, inhalers, Carmex, zipties, a few E-blankets, windproof fleece hat and snow gloves, oxycodone (yes, prescribed), full Carhartt rain gear, bungies and wrenches for snow chains. I throw in my zero degree sleeping bag daily. I've also got a basket that has other tools and bits mostly for the semi. All I'm really missing at this point is the tarp/poncho and paracord for shelter, maybe a wool blanket or drag one of my woobies. I could bundle that pretty easily.

In my pockets, mini-LED flashlight and P-38, two kubaton, pocket knife, rosary (mental, emotional, psychological and spiritual survival is just as important), wallet. Around my neck, resQme tool and Howler whistle on paracord.

Eventually, Kel-Tec PF9 and a clip or two.

I'd like to be better organized. :)

I have other gear and bags at home I'm working on getting together for BOB.

wrenrj1
03-25-2012, 18:21
I have two Maxpedition EDC's, one for my vehicle and one for my back pack. I'll have to inventory them and get back to this post.

collim1
03-27-2012, 16:45
I dont carry a kit but I never walk out the door without the following:

CCW gun and reload
Surefire pocketlight
Swiss army knife
BIC lighter
chapstick

gnepig
03-28-2012, 22:50
Good stuff here, I'm learnin lot's...

jimmygun
06-08-2012, 16:48
EDC pack spyderco Tenacious and a Sog sogzilla
small Maglite LED
whistle, thermometer, compass, magnifier combo
waterproof matches
brunton single ocular 9x
65lb superbraid fishing line
14lb nylon fishing line
2 fish hooks
mini reflective markers
mini first aid kit
single dose aleve & motrin
smiths pocket pal sharpener
wax string
surgical needle
small card reflective mirror
rain poncho
thermal blanket

Everything packet in small waterproof otter box

Bushflyr
06-08-2012, 17:10
Phone, G-SAR, Pirate carbon clip, Benchmade Bedlam or Spyderco P'Kal depending. ASP keychain defender.

All the rest of my crap lives in my car. The man purse only comes out when I'm going somewhere all day and I want to drag the Nooky and extra food and water.

auto-5
06-08-2012, 19:30
Keys W/small flash light
Wallet
pocket knife
Red Sox hat.

Warp
06-08-2012, 19:55
http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g105/austin3161324/2e9e3e92.jpg

Bolster
06-08-2012, 23:16
... photo ...

Hard to improve on THAT kit...that's excellent.

TangoFoxtrot
06-09-2012, 04:56
Wallet
Casio G Shock watch
Cell phone
Kershaw blade
Keys

Glock 17 with spare mags when needed.
GHB in trunk of car

Stevekozak
06-09-2012, 07:24
I am curious about some of these watches. I actually do not like wearing a watch period (just don't like them, or time, for that matter) , but when I do, I prefer a very light watch. Some of the ones pictured and talked about are large and bulky. Do they not get in your way? Do you not think they might be a hinderance or liability in a physical fight (ie, sliding around, catching on clothes, falling on it with arm trapped under with the watch inflicting damage to arm)? What are your thoughts on that?

My EDC is pretty simple. Gun of choice, spare mag, Kershaw folder, wallet, Blistex spf 15. Swiss army tiny knife. Do not carry a light at present. May change that soon.

emt1581
06-09-2012, 08:06
Where are all the multi-tools??

In the office I don't use it much but around the house and throughout the rest of my day I feel absolutely naked without it.

Only things I carry on my belt daily are my Fenix and Leatherman. Last night I reached for both multiple times when working out in my garage and they weren't there due to me changing pants and forgetting. Like I said....naked!

How do yall make it without one?

-Emt1581

Bolster
06-09-2012, 09:04
I am curious about some of these watches...

Agreed, don't like watches, esp. bulky ones. When I must, I wear a Ti St Morritz (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-momentum-st-moritz-pathfinder-titanium-w-alarm-567424.html) which is simple and thin (and analog). A Canadian watch. Was one of the top recommendations on another forum so I gave it a shot. It's the *only* watch of dozens I've owned that I like.

I EDC a Squirt, and each BOB or GHB in the cars has a Wave. What's yours?

Maine1
06-09-2012, 13:54
the never-changing items are:
Good clothing, belt, shoes/boots.Smartwool socks.

G-20/holster
2 spare mags
CS X2 voyager
4" or so Straight knife, IWB
truck keys- a few things on that ring
other keys- have a swiss tech tool on it, as well as a firestarting fob i made, cuff keys all over the place,nail clippers, crucial keys duplicated
zippo lighter
ferro rods in wallet, ect
Oven bag, birch bark, band aids, truck key,P-38 in wallet.
nebo light, and pens
cell phone when i remember it

In cooler months, carhart vest has a heatsheet or 2, candle, paracord, compass, spare G-20 mag sometimes, bandanna.

pocket gear has often saved the day for me. It is unacceptable (read stupid) to me to take a step with out at least a knife and a way to start a fire. Before someone starts, yes, i can start a fire- and make a knife- with primitive methods. carrying tools is NOT hard, they are NOT heavy (seriously, if you cant carry 2# of gear daily without *****ing, you probably are not tough enough to survive anyway) and SAVES TIME AND EFFORT when time is crucial.

Try falling thru the ice, then starting a handdrill fire from scratch.

Ferfal gives some good advice in his book (or i consider it good as it is very close to what i believe).

I'll paraphrase: Quit whining, carry the most effective tools EDC.

Warp
06-09-2012, 22:38
Hard to improve on THAT kit...that's excellent.

It's been a work in progress since I joined the forum. Always seem to be tweaking it or upgrading something, but the basic blueprint remains the same.

In the office I don't use it much but around the house and throughout the rest of my day I feel absolutely naked without it.

I have plenty of tools around the house, and pretty much everything I might want to do can be done better with the 'proper' tool than with a multi-tool.

The Leatherman stays in the car most of the time, and even then it is accompanied by multiple other 'real' tools.

Bolster
06-09-2012, 23:53
...cuff keys all over the place...
Oven bag...

Please elaborate on these two? Why lots of cuff keys, and what's this about an oven bag?

ConcealedG23
06-10-2012, 10:25
As for what is on me at all times:
Keys
Fenix PD20
CRKT M16-10KZ
iPhone
bill fold with ID, credit/debit cards and at least $300 in cash
handkerchief

What is also on me any time other than when I'm at work:
G23, may or may not have an extra mag

Reading through the posts here it seems like I'm not as "ready" as some here. I feel pretty good though.

I'm interested if anyone has an amount of cash on hand that they never go under.

D

emt1581
06-10-2012, 14:26
I have plenty of tools around the house, and pretty much everything I might want to do can be done better with the 'proper' tool than with a multi-tool.

The Leatherman stays in the car most of the time, and even then it is accompanied by multiple other 'real' tools.

I see what you're saying, and yes, a tool devoted for the job is going to be better. However, I have lost count of how many times I've had one hand on something, it breaks/loosens/leaks/etc and with my other hand I can whip out the Leatherman and fix the issue immediately, if only temporarily. Saved my bacon enough times that I keep carrying it. Otherwise it probably would be weeded out by now and tossed in a drawer or GHB.

-Emt1581

Maine1
06-11-2012, 05:57
I work in corrections, so spares are good, and you never know.
Oven bags can take heat, and i use them for last ditch water purification, and they seem to be of thin, tough plastic, and fold flat for the wallet. Katydyne tablets, too.

BR549
06-11-2012, 07:03
I see what you're saying, and yes, a tool devoted for the job is going to be better. However, I have lost count of how many times I've had one hand on something, it breaks/loosens/leaks/etc and with my other hand I can whip out the Leatherman and fix the issue immediately, if only temporarily. Saved my bacon enough times that I keep carrying it. Otherwise it probably would be weeded out by now and tossed in a drawer or GHB.

-Emt1581

Can you provide a few examples of it...

..."saving your bacon"...

...while you've...

..."had one hand on something, it breaks/loosens/leaks/etc and with my other hand I can whip out the Leatherman and fix the issue immediately, if only temporarily"...

?

quake
06-11-2012, 12:44
I am curious about some of these watches. I actually do not like wearing a watch period (just don't like them, or time, for that matter) , but when I do, I prefer a very light watch. Some of the ones pictured and talked about are large and bulky. Do they not get in your way? Do you not think they might be a hinderance or liability in a physical fight (ie, sliding around, catching on clothes, falling on it with arm trapped under with the watch inflicting damage to arm)? What are your thoughts on that?...

Haven't posted a pic of my 'edc' watch, but it does somewhat fit the description of large & bulky, although not nearly so much so as a lot of current watchmakers produce. May be a generational thing; I know a lot of people (even some my age & older) that use their cell phone clock instead of wearing a watch anymore, but some of us have just been doing it so long that it feels 'off' to not have one on our arm. My wife jokes that I couldn't walk in a straight line if I wasn't wearing a watch; it's just been that ingrained over 40+ years of wearing one.

Besides the factors of habit or fashion, some watches actually do some very handy functions nowadays. Compasses, barometers, even gps units built in on some of them; those are all handy things to have for some folks. One side benefit of even just a plain analog watch is the ability to use it as a rough compass, at least in the northern hemisphere. My daily watch is one of several, but they're all just an analog watch with date or day/date; usually it's tritium for 24/7 visibility, and always it's water-resistant rated to 100m minimum. (Anything less than a 100m WR rating, they're not even supposed to be worn in the shower, much less immersed. It's a quirk of how ratings are done - a "50meter" water rating doesn't mean it's good to 50 meters below water. A 50-meter watch will often allow leakage even if just worn washing the dishes.)

quake
06-11-2012, 12:59
...When I must, I wear a Ti St Morritz (http://forums.watchuseek.com/f29/fs-momentum-st-moritz-pathfinder-titanium-w-alarm-567424.html) which is simple and thin (and analog). A Canadian watch. Was one of the top recommendations on another forum so I gave it a shot. It's the *only* watch of dozens I've owned that I like...

Aaahhhh; watchuseek. It's like heroin for watchaholics. :embarassed:

If you like the st. moritz pathfinder, you might check out the hamilton "khaki" field watch as well. Much like it, not large or heavy, and very 'clean' in it's lines & markings.
http://www.princetonwatches.com/images/watches/H70575733.jpg

Fwiw, it's the watch they modified to make the "Sylar" watch on the tv show Heroes:
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/Watches/IMG305.jpg

(Shouldn't get me started on watches. It's one of my favorite fetishes... :cool: )

Bolster
06-11-2012, 23:09
(Shouldn't get me started on watches. It's one of my favorite fetishes... :cool: )

Oh really now? Well despite your admonition I'm PMing you for a very specific need...

Oven bags can take heat, and i use them for last ditch water purification, and they seem to be of thin, tough plastic, and fold flat for the wallet.

That's very clever, not thought of that!! You could even do SODIS in an oven bag I bet.

Clever, clever. Thanks for that one. Deserves a spot in the GHB.

Warp
06-12-2012, 11:26
Can you provide a few examples of it...

..."saving your bacon"...

...while you've...

..."had one hand on something, it breaks/loosens/leaks/etc and with my other hand I can whip out the Leatherman and fix the issue immediately, if only temporarily"...

?

I was kind of sort of wondering the same thing

Deputydave
12-21-2012, 12:12
Thought this was an excellent topic to bring back up to the top.

That's very clever, not thought of that!! You could even do SODIS in an oven bag I bet.

Clever, clever. Thanks for that one. Deserves a spot in the GHB.

I think SODIS would work very well on an oven bag or any heavy duty ziplock bag that will hold the water without leaking. I have a quart-size and a gallon-size in my EDC.

As far as an EDC, I have two. I carry one or the other depending on the situation. The first is a fanny-pack that houses my off-duty and extra mag. It has three zippered pockets, one large and two small. I can easily carry a small first aid kit in a waterproof dry lock bag, hand sanitizer, small CREE flashlight, whistle, 2 ferro rods, chapstick and cotton balls and a small folding knife.

I have a slightly larger one of a different design that is a touted as a 5 in 1 pannier bike bag. About $15 on Ebay. Has four zippered pockets, lots of loops, and a velcro pocket on the back. The strap can be put in different positions as well. This EDC allows me more room to carry stuff when I'm carrying my off-duty on my person instead of a fanny pack. I have a medium folding knife, 2 Mora knives (a #2 and a Clipper), couple of protein bars and a snickers bar, 1600 lumen CREE light, XL50 Maglite, first aid kit in a small water resistant plastic case, chapstick, whistle, film container with vasaline soaked cotton balls, AF signal mirror, bottle of tintcure idodine, 3 rain ponchos, anti-bacterial wipes, magnesium bar, extra ferro rod, lighter, windproof matches, extra batteries for the flashlights, 1 qt. ziplock bag, 1 gal. ziplock bag and 550 cordage, headlamp, multi-tool and a bright red bandana.

My thoughts for this bag is that it doubles as a camping/hiking bag. I also take this to work as it accents my GHB contents. There are certain areas I like to be very redundant in such as light, ability to make fire, abilty to attract attention etc.

I don't consider it 'complete' at this point and would like to tinker around a bit as I think of something I'd like to have in either. For example I keep meaning to pick up a frenzel lens. So as I see/read/research something I feel would be usefu I'll tinker with it.

More importantly, I use these items. I'm familar with them and where they're located in the EDC. And it is in additon to the Swiss Army Tinker and mini-maglight and Spyderco Endura I routinely carry.

I think this is a good topic to keep current, particularly with the way things are going.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that I also have a couple of solar blankets.

FireForged
12-23-2012, 16:24
I typically have access to a good number of thing but if you happen to stop me walking down the street I would only have:

my ccw
a pocket knife
cell phone
key chain mounted photo led
key chain mounted titanium prybar/bottle opener

UneasyRider
12-23-2012, 16:47
My EDC is not good like most of yours.

Citizen watch because I really like them.
Folding knife.
Pocket pistol.
Spare magazine.
iPhone.
Keychain flashlight (I use it all the time).
Keychain USB (I use all the time too!)
Gunbelt.
Transition glasses.
Pen and notebook.

The USB is an amazing thing to carry. For instance, while working with a consultant I was asked for my resume and instantly pulled out my USB, plugged in and printed it. But it also carries all of my data and photos, all thing important to me.

I carry little because I am always near my pack in my Jeep or in my office with a good kit. That plus it's Florida and you can only carry so much.

FerFAL
12-28-2012, 20:38
As for basic pocket edc:
1)Leatherman Charge Tti. Cant say enough good things about this MT, I use it all the time. The tools in it are outstanding for their size.
2)Wallet. Always have some extra spare cash for emergencies
3)Cell phone in Otterbox Defender case
4)Tactical Flashlight. These days its an Eagletac d25c.
5)20 feet of Technora Liros Magic cord, thin, but as strong as 550 paracord.
6)IMCO Triplex Super Lighter
7) Keycain with Victorinox Midnight Minichamp, pico prybar, titanium peanut lighter, Fenix LDO1 and Ironkey USB with important files.
As for watch, its a titanium Casio Protrek Tiple Sensor tough Solar. PRG 250t
I just uploaded a video today showing my current EDC setup :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWRn70a92o
FerFAL

FireForged
12-29-2012, 11:36
Considering that my car or truck is never more than 100 feet away from where I am... I dont really feel like in need to carry around pocket-buddy full of stuff. What I do have on my person, is the following:

Phone
Wallet
Keys
Sog folder
Victorinox Cadet
4in titanium prybar/bottle opener ( on keychain)
Small Photon LED (keychain)
CCW (Sig P239)

John Rambo
12-29-2012, 16:14
Gun
Knife
Wallet
Keys
Phone
Rubbers
(Phone doubles as a spankin' flashlight)

If I ain't prepared for it, I don't need to survive it.

Deputydave
01-19-2013, 13:03
I started looking at those UTG Tactical Messenger Bags. They are a clone of one of the Maxpedition bags, the Versipack or Fatboy or something? Less than half the price of the Maxpedition. So I went to prophet youtube and they're a ton of videos on them. Couldn't find a negative one. One guy said if a Maxpedition is a 10 then the UTG was a 9.

So I decided to buy one. Ordered it on Ebay from Unitedoutdoors for $28.99 free S&H. Figured that was a pretty good deal. It arrived yesterday and was everything I was expecting. Only issue was the shoulder strap buckle wasn't quite formed right on one of the 'prongs' on the male side. It wouldn't securely click on the one side. As a result it would come undone with just a light pull on the bag. I contacted Unitedoutdoors about it. They were really quick to respond which I appreciate. They offered me a partial refund of $10 if I wanted to keep the bag and have it fixed or a full refund if I wanted to send it back. I figured it wouldn't cost me much to put on a new buckle so I took the partial refund. Nice to have a company that stands behind what they offer and give you some choices. So all told, the bag only cost me $19 plus whatever I need to do to fix the buckle.

If you haven't seen them, go to YT and just type in UTG Tactical Messenger Bag.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51B2-6f2aQL.jpg

lawman800
01-19-2013, 14:20
I like it. Is it big enough for an iPad or a small laptop?

Deputydave
01-19-2013, 14:35
I think someone on YT pulled an ipad or something similar out of the big pouch. If I remember right it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 10 inches or more deep. I'm able to fit a Glock 23 in the concealed section with room to spare above. Definately a large tablet.

ChiTownPicaro
01-23-2013, 02:46
Good stuff here, I'm learnin lot's...

Me as well. It is nice to see I am not the only person with a lot of crap on their person.

lawman800
01-23-2013, 15:06
Always funny to hear your girl complain that you take longer to pack all your stuff than she does when going out for a night on the town.

rotjovi
01-23-2013, 18:09
Looking at the picture it is a 100% knockoff of my 511 Tactical PUSH pack. Cannot see anything different. Not the same quality I am sure, but looks close enough!

Posted using Outdoor Hub Campfire (http://www.outdoorhub.com/mobile/)

Deputydave
01-23-2013, 18:56
Looking at the picture it is a 100% knockoff of my 511 Tactical PUSH pack. Cannot see anything different. Not the same quality I am sure, but looks close enough!

I'm not sure about the 511, but I think one of the differences is in the CCW pocket. The UTG I have has two horizontal strips of hook and loop whereas the MaxP I believe has a full square. The two strips are sufficient for the most part, but a full square would have been better overall. As far as things like zipper function and such, time will tell. For $19 I'm willing to give it a shot.

:)

Mountain10mm
01-23-2013, 19:38
I just scrolled through this whole thread and did not see one picture of someone's keys, pocket knife, cell phone, and flashlight...have we digressed?

rotjovi
01-23-2013, 21:22
The CCW pocket on mine is lined with Velcro. I have a Blackhawk! holster in it with a additional mag holster attached. I woven my own Velcro strips through the back of the holster and placed the holster in the pocket and pushed the Velcro together. Been using this pack everyday for 1 years. The holster has never moved. Nicely holds my G26, G27, G19 and G23. Once had a small stitch comin apart. Emailed 5.11. Within 5 days a new one arrived with postage for the return. No questions asked.
I've since purchased in 5.11 the MOAB 10, RUSH 12, 24 and 72. Also bought the DC Roller Bag and replaced my American Tourist bag for flights. Great products!!

rotjovi
01-23-2013, 21:23
It should have said I've been using the PUSH pack for 2 years. Sorry.

quake
01-23-2013, 21:50
I just scrolled through this whole thread and did not see one picture of someone's keys, pocket knife, cell phone, and flashlight...have we digressed?

Keys have cuts edited out of the pic, but this is it. Keyring with Fenix E15 light, medicated chapstick, pen, spyderdo delica, B&D 'executive edge' that fits in shirt pocket next to the pen, credit-card size fresnel lens in protective cover (carried in my shirt pocket with business cards, professional license and such), butane lighter from sam's club, and pak-lite 'super' version with lithium battery - gives something like 80 hours on high and somewhere over a thousand hours on low iirc.

The fenix e15 is a three-mode, up to 140 lumens; and runs on batteries that we buy by the case anyway.

The fresnel lens is handy for magnifying small details on blueprints, and for starting fires both. The other side of the case has our company information; we give them out to people constantly.

The chapstick is good for small cuts, and for plain old chapstick use.

The B&D Executive Edge (think they're out of business now) is a surprisingly good lockblade. Had it over 20 years now & it's still tight. In 2001 or 2002, I landed at John Wayne airport in California and realized I still had it in my shirt pocket; carried completely accidentally thru airport security, it's that visually unnoticeable. (Don't remember the exact year; I know it was during the Anna Nicole Smith lawsuit hearings in LA, as she was in the same hotel I was, whatever year that was. And no, I'm not confessing to a crime. It was an accident, and push come to shove, it could always be said that I just told a fib here on the internet.)

The lighter and the paklite are in my jacket pockets, so sometimes they're not actually 'on me', but in the jacket in the vehicle instead.

The spyderco is sometimes, but not usually, replaced with a microtech troodon auto.

Phone isn't pictured, but it's a simple android smartphone.

http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f360/quake316/preps/DSC00715.jpg

Pistols are simple and mundane - an LCP in an uncle mike's pocket holster, loaded with remington 102-grain jhps. Runs 844 fps average from this gun.

Second (actually primary) pistol is a Kahr CM9. Holster is a PJ Holsters tuckable with their 'invisible velcro' option that mates up to velcro on the inside of the belt so there's not even a j-hook visible. Loaded with corbon 100-grain Powerball. Lightish weight on the bullet itself, but it scoots out of that little microgun at a measured 1304 fps average. I prefer a heavier bullet for on-duty use, but for personal ccw, I don't mind giving up some penetration on barriers like windshields & such. This load is the second-most powerful load that I've clocked in this gun (corbon 115 beats it just slightly for energy), but I like the near-fmj profile and velocity for a close-in personal gun. A 100-grain bullet running supersonic from less than two inches of actual barrel; or put another way, a tiny 16-oz gun like this, putting out nearly 400 ft/lbs of energy, times seven... gotta love it imo.

Deputydave
01-24-2013, 06:38
The CCW pocket on mine is lined with Velcro. I have a Blackhawk! holster in it with a additional mag holster attached. I woven my own Velcro strips through the back of the holster and placed the holster in the pocket and pushed the Velcro together. Been using this pack everyday for 1 years. The holster has never moved. Nicely holds my G26, G27, G19 and G23. Once had a small stitch comin apart. Emailed 5.11. Within 5 days a new one arrived with postage for the return. No questions asked.
I've since purchased in 5.11 the MOAB 10, RUSH 12, 24 and 72. Also bought the DC Roller Bag and replaced my American Tourist bag for flights. Great products!!

I bought one of those universal holster, the kind that has a stiff velcro strip and then a more flexible one crossing it like a 'T'. It works fine in the UGT, though it could have used a bit more velcro on the top strip of the bag. Probably a simple fix with some fabric glue and additional velcro. It should work just fine with the MaxP Remora that's coming.

How does the size of the 511 PUSH work for you? I like the size, but figure it more for day hike,out-of-town type carry and the Remora for more day-to-day type carry.

Deputydave
01-24-2013, 06:42

A lot of people listed those items though. I for one always carry my Swiss Army Tinker and Spyderco Endura. Have now for nearly 20 years. Great knives! And I usually have at LEAST on flashlight on me. Usually two or more. I really like the CREE LED lights from Ebay. Been carrying the 1300 lumen 18650 CREE on duty as a back up light daily and it works great. A nod of respect goes out to the Mag Lites as well, have several of those.

mac66
01-24-2013, 07:52
My EDC is a small Cree 1AA flashlight with a clip worn next to a Leatherman "Clipit" multi-tool in my pocket. Car keys contain a LED keychain light and a "Utili-Key". I also wear a CRKT RSK MK5 as a neck knife at all times.

Not to mention the cell phone and pistol I usually carry.

mac66
01-24-2013, 07:52
My EDC is a small Cree 1AA flashlight with a clip worn next to a Leatherman "Clipit" multi-tool in my pocket. Car keys contain a LED keychain light and a "Utili-Key". I also wear a CRKT RSK MK5 as a neck knife at all times.

Not to mention the cell phone and pistol I usually carry.

rotjovi
01-24-2013, 09:52
I bought one of those universal holster, the kind that has a stiff velcro strip and then a more flexible one crossing it like a 'T'. It works fine in the UGT, though it could have used a bit more velcro on the top strip of the bag. Probably a simple fix with some fabric glue and additional velcro. It should work just fine with the MaxP Remora that's coming.

How does the size of the 511 PUSH work for you? I like the size, but figure it more for day hike,out-of-town type carry and the Remora for more day-to-day type carry.

The PUSH Pack is perfect. I'm also diabetic so I have to carry certain meds, snacks, etc. at all times. The pack goes where I go. Most of the time, my Glock and spare mag are on my person, but if clothing doesn't allow for it I put it in the pack.
It's just a little man purse that holds a Glock. What's also nice is the mag carrier in the holster I installed. That ALWAYS has a spare mag in it whether I have one on my belt or not. I love this pack.
For those of you that have diabetes, I always have a Maxpedition "Fatty" EDC in there with my supplies in it. I swear the organizer was made for the diabetic!!

Catshooter
01-24-2013, 20:43
Quake,

Why edit out the cut edges of your keys? No flame, just curious. Thanks.

Cat

Warp
01-24-2013, 20:49
Quake,

Cat

I've never consciously noticed that before.

Not a bad idea...

Catshooter
01-24-2013, 21:07
Yea but why? I've a feeling I'm about to learn something here . . .

Cat

Bren
01-24-2013, 21:10
You guys sure carry a lot of stuff. My daily S&P kit is, I try to wear shoes and pants all day and I often carry my cell phone and wallet when away from home.

lawman800
01-24-2013, 21:22
You guys sure carry a lot of stuff. My daily S&P kit is, I try to wear shoes and pants all day and I often carry my cell phone and wallet when away from home.

It helps to have pants on when you want somewhere to put your phone and wallet while transacting business in public.:whistling:

Glotin
01-24-2013, 23:00
I pretty much just carry my phone, wallet, pistol, flashlight and knife.

You guys might want to think about adding a small handheld flashlight with a crenelated bezel.

Honestly I'd rather have that than a knife with me if I get into a confrontation at night. I also do a fair amount of traveling in countries where I can't carry a firearm... the flashlight and knife become that much more important. (Recently had a knife confiscated by a security guard in London... didn't take my flashlight)

A good light can easily blind someone and doesn't have the menacing, confrontational, and legal problems of a knife. You also have standoff capability. A quick flash in someone's eyes will reset their OODA loop, is not as confrontational as a lot of other actions that you might take when that becomes necessary, and temporarily blinds them so you can step off centerline. If they persist you can blind them and/or strike them across the forehead (lots of blood-vessels leads to lots of blood in the eyes...pretty much out of commission). This way you don't have to cut/stab anybody and no knives are involved at all.

lawman800
01-25-2013, 01:06
All of my carry lights, from the Pelican M7 to the Surefire 6PD LED to the tiny little Fenix PD30, all have the strike bezel. It's almost a prereq now for a SD light, no?

quake
01-25-2013, 07:06
Quake,

Cat

Showing the keys' cuts is showing how to reproduce them, if someone were able (and of a mind) to try & reproduce them from the image. They're not only of our homes, but of the door to our security company as well, so can't hurt to keep them out of sight, so to speck. Not something at ALL likely to occur; chances are beyond small imo. But it just makes me feel more comfortable about sharing pics if specifics are either covered or blocked out. Same reason I made sure the serial numbers on the guns aren't visible, turned the case of the fresnel lens over, etc.

Not really a big deal and not really necessary; and while I do share more personal info here than a lot of folks do, it can't hurt to keep some things private.

Catshooter
01-25-2013, 12:01
That's what I figured. Huh. That never occured to me, but I see your point. If the image is hi-res and things are positioned right . . . Food for thought, thanks.

I agree, odds are way low against it ever being done. However, 'plan not for what your enemy may do, plan for what he can do'.

Thanks for the answer.

Cat

mac66
01-25-2013, 15:37
Before all these little LED flashlights and multi tools were invented I always said that all you really needed was a Swiss army knife and a Mini-Mag flashlight to survive. That's what I carried for decades and I think the concept of a small sturdy light and utility tool/SAK is still mostly true today.

Las Vegan
01-25-2013, 18:05
I'm sitting on my balcony, chillin' (love my days off), so this is from memory. I just keep everything together on my counter so when I get dressed I don't have to think about it or go searching for anything.

Belt: 5.11 brand Arc belt, black, 1.5".

On the belt:
Glock 19 gen 4, 15 +1 rds Speer Gold Dots, AIWB Kydex holster
17 rd spare mag, IWB Kydex holder
Microstream flashlight (ranger banded to mag holder)

In the wallet:
IDs (various)
CCW
NV guard card
CA guard card
ASP instructor cards
Business cards, mine
Business card of the nice PILB Investigator who last checked my documents
Business card of the judge who said, "Let me know if I can ever help you with anything."
Spare car key
P38 can opener
Safety pins

Pockets:
Spyderco Tenacious with combo edge
Cell phone
Zebra F-701 pen
Disposable lighter
Cigar cutter and/or folding scissors
Mints
Keys
Coin purse

On keys:
Umm... keys
Handcuff key
USB flash drive

In coin purse:
Coinage
Double ended eyeglass screwdriver
ASP challenge coin
Tweezers
Handcuff key
Safety pins
Paper clips

Edited to add: PILB stands for Private Investigators Licensing Board.