weird flu story out of Baltimore [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : weird flu story out of Baltimore

Bilbo Bagins
03-08-2012, 14:00
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2012/03/07/mysterious-illness-kills-3-family-members-sickens-fourth/

Three Members of the same family died of a strain of flu, the 4th is hospitalized.

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 15:45
its the guberment i say

Shinesintx
03-08-2012, 15:51
This quote is what got my attention:

"The Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene has confirmed two family members died of complications of influenza H3 circulating this season, combined with a bacterial infection."

The Flu is viral, so not much can be done about that. The bacteria infection is what has me interested. I would certainly think that the CDC would take a long hard look at what type of bacteria the deceased were infected with. Who knows, it could be some new strain of MRSA??? I had a buddy that sold some antibiotics for J&J a number of years ago. Asked him what they were...and he replied "You've never heard of them. They are only used as a last resort if you are on your death bed."

Bacteria is becoming more and more resistant to antibiotics. Who knows?

MoneyMaker
03-08-2012, 15:54
Because the government refuse to treat anyone with real Penicillin anymore,all this junk synthetic crap does not work,just mask it for awhile and you back at the doctor to get more,its a way to keep the Dr and pharmacy companies wealthy

cowboy1964
03-08-2012, 23:52
Penicillin, are you kidding? That stuff is impotent compared to what they prescibe nowadays.

bdcochran
03-09-2012, 03:35
Bilbo brought up a valid topic.

In 1917 or 1918, my grandfather died of the "Spanish flu". With the exception of one island, the epidemic swept the entire world. By way of contrast, many local American Indian communities were quite isolated only a couple hundred years earlier and their exposure to European diseases (and not television/movie Indian Wars) wiped them out.

We should contemplate the foregoing in a forum in which so much time and energy is expressed about bugging out and rural vs. urban survival. Disease, uncontrolled fires and malnutrition may be our biggest challenges.

Anything we do to keep up our meds and good health before shtf will help. Soap, clean water, a supply of basic medications may be all that we have after shtf.:wavey:

walt cowan
03-09-2012, 06:26
maybe "hunta virus"? balmer does have a high rate of rat and mice infestations.

syntaxerrorsix
03-09-2012, 06:52
maybe "hunta virus"? balmer does have a high rate of rat and mice infestations.The Hantavirus is still a virus not bacterial.

Clearly it's the walking dead :yawn:

syntaxerrorsix
03-09-2012, 06:54
Because the government refuse to treat anyone with real Penicillin anymore,all this junk synthetic crap does not work,just mask it for awhile and you back at the doctor to get more,its a way to keep the Dr and pharmacy companies wealthy

Right.. that's it.

m2hmghb
03-09-2012, 12:03
Sounds like the flu lowered the immune system and a bacterial infection set in. Could be legionella, that's not exactly uncommon. There's also a list of hundreds of other bacteria it could be, including plain old pneumonia. The health department is looking for the point of contact with the bacteria to make sure others aren't exposed.

Dr.Crash
03-09-2012, 18:31
Sounds like a zombie cover up to me.... :supergrin:

:rofl:

wrenrj1
03-09-2012, 18:58
Let's slow down people. First, antibiotics won't help with the Flu unless there are secondary infections, as influenza if a virus. Second, according to my state epi report that I receive weekly as I work in public health, the dominant strains circulating are H1N1 (from 2009) and H3N2.

This article failed to ask if those individuals that died were immunized, and the fact that these individuals were older and may have been more susceptible to influenza.

Sorry if I repeated prior posts.

mdsn969
03-10-2012, 12:38

Penicillin is ineffective on most bacteria. It is a dance to keep anti-infectives pertinent today, the overuse and misuse has made very difficult to treat many bacterial infections...

Remember anti-infectives do not work on viruses...