O Rings & Bolts [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : O Rings & Bolts

pag23
03-08-2012, 17:06
Looking to get a few spare Bolts (MP/HP tested) for my ARs. I already looked into BCM and they are backordered. I was wondering should I look into Spikes, Stag, LMT.... (PSA is out) etc... Do I need "headspacing" even if I have M4 barrel lugs??? Any concerns with installing a new bolt on a rifle with XXXX rounds...

The second thing is that I have the black O-rings on both my extractors (one came with the BCM and one was already in the Bushmaster) but was wondering how the Defender D-ring compares to the O-rings..

Thanks for the advice...

:wavey:

WoodenPlank
03-08-2012, 19:54
Looking to get a few spare Bolts (MP/HP tested) for my ARs. I already looked into BCM and they are backordered. I was wondering should I look into Spikes, Stag, LMT.... (PSA is out) etc... Do I need "headspacing" even if I have M4 barrel lugs??? Any concerns with installing a new bolt on a rifle with XXXX rounds...

The second thing is that I have the black O-rings on both my extractors (one came with the BCM and one was already in the Bushmaster) but was wondering how the Defender D-ring compares to the O-rings..

Thanks for the advice...

:wavey:

Headspace is rarely an issue with ARs. Someone with a little more technical expertise can probably give you a little better explanation of why.

No real concerns on changing out a bolt if need be, but I wouldn't sweat it unless you see severe wear or damage to the lugs, or a cracked/broken lug.

Never heard of this "Defender D-ring", but the o-ring extractor is pretty much the gold standard. If it ain't broke, don't screw with it.

WayaX
03-09-2012, 13:17
People make such a big deal about that little O-ring. I really has only has a small purpose. It helps extractor tension if the spring is weak, worn, or if the rifle is a little "harsher" running (i.e. SBR and/or Suppressor). Most people do not need the O-ring if they have the proper extractor spring.

What are M4 barrel lugs? Do you mean M4 feed ramps? They don't affect bolt choice. As Wooden said, headspace isn't usually an issue with properly made parts.

pag23
03-09-2012, 15:22
People make such a big deal about that little O-ring. I really has only has a small purpose. It helps extractor tension if the spring is weak, worn, or if the rifle is a little "harsher" running (i.e. SBR and/or Suppressor). Most people do not need the O-ring if they have the proper extractor spring.

What are M4 barrel lugs? Do you mean M4 feed ramps? They don't affect bolt choice. As Wooden said, headspace isn't usually an issue with properly made parts.

Sorry.. I meant feed ramps...:faint:

My Bushmaster came with an O-ring for the extractor already installed and it was the blue insert.. The BCM BCG came with an O-ring as an option with the black insert...

I have read about the D-ring from the Sweeney AR15 Guide books and seen some reviews online. I don't plan on messing with anything, just wondering if I should upgrade and get a few spare parts...

WayaX
03-09-2012, 16:49
If you already have the Bushmaster, put in the BCM extractor upgrade kit. Use the O-ring if it's carbine length or less gas system. Make sure you have a heavy enough buffer for the gas system you have. Check the gas key for proper staking. Do the same for the castle nut (check the staking). If all of that is correct, shoot the crap out of it. If something breaks, replace it, or just start saving for a different rifle.

pag23
03-12-2012, 07:20
Is there any preference whom to buy a spare bolt or two from?

WoodenPlank
03-12-2012, 15:10
Is there any preference whom to buy a spare bolt or two from?

BCM, Daniel Defense, or LMT would be ideal, but I've heard LMT is getting out of the spare parts business. I've heard good things about the PSA bolt carrier groups, too.

pag23
03-13-2012, 13:57
I tried PSA and they were out of stock.... Even though BCM is out of stock (at least as of a few days ago) I'll put down my email when they are available. I'll browse to see what DD & LMT have

Thanks Wooden!

cfec2008
03-14-2012, 21:30
I ordered a bcm bcg a week ago. Got here yesterday. You just have to keep a check on their site all the time. theyll come in.