Grip plug? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Grip plug?

kimber6
03-09-2012, 08:27
What is the purpose? Do any of you have one or recommend it?

fuzzy03cls
03-09-2012, 08:34
The purpose is to mostly keep crap put of the gun & finish off the look.
Is it needed? No, but I use them on my G17, G27 & gen 4 G22.

SolidGun
03-09-2012, 08:34
It blocks you from clearing jams. No, don't use it. You cannot pull out the magazine as easily.

kimber6
03-09-2012, 08:36
It blocks you from clearing jams. No, don't use it. You cannot pull out the magazine as easily.

I was wondering about that. Looks like it blocks the mag to me

Keyhole
03-09-2012, 08:39
Nope. It's cosmetic only and actually the Glock was designed for that 'debris channel' to remain open. If the weapon has a catastrophic failure, much of the force is directed down through the debris channel and possibly displacing the mgazine through the mag well.

SolidGun
03-09-2012, 08:42
I was wondering about that. Looks like it blocks the mag to me

Depending on who made the grip plug and if you have small fingers, you can actually dig it out. But malfunction drills don't apply the same way and malfunction in real life situation requires extra room for error.

People plug up this area for appearance or to keep it clean or some people claims it snags, but it is there for a reason.

g26andgtrs
03-09-2012, 10:26
I had a plug in my G26 for snag issues while working, but I lost it last weekend at the range. It had a tendency to pop out when I was shooting. Not a big deal either way. It looks and feels more finished with the plug, but I'm not sure right now if I even care to spend the money to replace it.

Jim S.
03-09-2012, 10:29
I can grab the magazines out of my Glocks from the sides.
I've never had to grab them from front to back.

whitey4311
03-09-2012, 10:40
For me when I reload quickly while shooting USPSA the plug keeps the top round in the mag from catching. The rim of the top round in the mag grabs on the cut out in the frame and it messes up my reloads. The right plug will make this area smooth like a feed ramp and the mags dont snag any more.

I coat the plug in Permatex RTV Gasket Maker silicone that is black then I put it in. Its been in for 10k rounds and still there. I use the Schere brand plug.

nosuchagency
03-09-2012, 12:28
I can grab the magazines out of my Glocks from the sides.
I've never had to grab them from front to back.

what other poster was referring to is in the event you have to forcibly strip the magazine from pistol; it gives you a bit more purchase to do so.

DaneA
03-09-2012, 12:33
Don't know if there is any truth to it but I heard that the channel was for draining water out should your Glock get submerged. I don't use the plugs for that reason.

Booker
03-09-2012, 12:39
I had a plug in my G26 for snag issues while working, but I lost it last weekend at the range. It had a tendency to pop out when I was shooting. Not a big deal either way. It looks and feels more finished with the plug, but I'm not sure right now if I even care to spend the money to replace it.

I had the same happen with a Glock 27. The plug fell out and disappeared whilst at the range.

KennyFSU
03-09-2012, 12:47
the Glock was designed for that 'debris channel' to remain open.

I'm sorry but that's incorrect. There are some Glocks that were built with a safety lock and it is located in that channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fuzzy03cls
03-09-2012, 12:47
On the subs, there is no tab so it's a press fit. Some get loose some stay.
+1 of the easier loading of mags with it. My G17 has one that make the area smooth & guides the mag in.
And on yanking the mag out.... I had to do it a bunch of time in practice & never had any issue with doing so from the sides of the mag.
But as stated it's your gun do what you want.
If the weapon has a catastrophic failure, much of the force is directed down through the debris channel and possibly displacing the mgazine through the mag well.
How can that be? The space is rear of the trigger assembly & magwell. The forces would have to overcome the trigger housing, ejector & magwell to air through the channel. Plus the slides firing pin face is in the way too.

cole
03-09-2012, 13:55
It blocks you from [better] clearing [very stuck] jams. No, don't use it. You cannot pull out the magazine as easily.

This I agree with given my addition above, especially for Gen 1-3 full size guns and Gen 2 compacts. (However, Glock removed the front cutout on the Gen 3 compacts and the Gen4.) Likely an issue? No. Possible? Yes. And, I believe being better able to forceably remove the mag to be more important than looks, the debateable aid to reloads or the (IMO weak) arguement it keeps "debris" out. Ultimately, I value function over form which is what a Glock is all about IMO.

cloudbuster
03-09-2012, 13:59
The purpose is to separate you from a bit of your hard-earned cash. Don't waste your money.

Arc Angel
03-09-2012, 14:02
I can grab the magazines out of my Glocks from the sides. I've never had to grab them from front to back.

Yup! After reading through umpteen hundred of these frame plug threads THAT is the generally agreed answer; and the one I happen to agree with. How weak do a shooter's hands have to be before he can't pull out a magazine after a Type 3 jam? That's pretty frigg 'in weak!

(Anybody remember when Glocks used to have that half-moon cutout on the front of the frame for just this reason? The factory finally got rid of those cutouts because they simply weren't necessary.)

I'm sorry but that's incorrect. There are some Glocks that were built with a safety lock and it is located in that channel.

THAT is brilliant, man! I think you deserve, 'answer of the week' for that one! (Very good!) :thumbsup:

I had the same happen with a Glock 27. The plug fell out and disappeared whilst at the range.

If you still have that plug, try using a dab of bathtub silicone sealant on it before you put it back in place. It'll stay; AND you can still remove it anytime you want to.

Don't know if there is any truth to it but I heard that the channel was for draining water out should your Glock get submerged. I don't use the plugs for that reason.

Why not? A Glock isn't a 1911 pattern pistol. What critical action parts are located, vertically, along the backstrap? The ONLY place you have to worry about your Glock retaining water is inside the barrel - Nowhere else!

So, after years of reading these, 'plug threads', what do I think the right answer is ........ ? ECONOMICS! Think of how much money old Gaston wouldn't have to spend on his new girlfriend if he spent so much as, even, .01 cent to install a butt plug in each of his pistols!

It's that simple! ;)

DaneA
03-09-2012, 14:27
Why not? A Glock isn't a 1911 pattern pistol. What critical action parts are located, vertically, along the backstrap? The ONLY place you have to worry about your Glock retaining water is inside the barrel - Nowhere else!

Like I said, don't know if it is true or not. Just something someone that worked for GLOCK said. After closer inspection that channel does go all the way through so it could allow for drainage. :dunno:

Arc Angel
03-09-2012, 15:32
Riiiii .... ght! :)

SouthernBoyVA
03-09-2012, 15:42
All of my Glocks have grip (butt) plugs.

Airhasz
03-09-2012, 15:50
I use plug to secure roll of paper with all my girlfriend phone#'s on it...they all know not to fool with my Glock.:rofl:

IndyGunFreak
03-09-2012, 18:25
My first Glock, I bought one because it seemed like a good idea.

9 Glocks later.... I never have bought another.

Paul53
03-10-2012, 16:48
I put one in my Gen 3 G23 for the finished look. Besides, couldn't find any Baby Moon hubcaps to fit it.

Airhasz
03-10-2012, 17:19
Baby moon hubcaps are for Baby Glocks...:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mudshark100
03-10-2012, 17:29
Like I said, don't know if it is true or not. Just something someone that worked for GLOCK said. After closer inspection that channel does go all the way through so it could allow for drainage. :dunno:

I was told the same thing by the instructor when I took the Glock Armorer's Class.

steveksux
03-10-2012, 18:13
I really wish someone hadn't called it a butt plug. I was perfectly happy to have one until then...

I had an extractor break at a class, corner came off. Had plenty of practice stripping magazines with the plug in place that morning. I was failing to extract once every 3-4 shots. I kept going and used it to practice malfunctions, of which I had plenty.

Never had an issue pulling the magazine. Someone had a spare extractor, installed it at lunch, finished the class.

Randy

Arc Angel
03-10-2012, 18:42
I was told the same thing by the instructor when I took the Glock Armorer's Class.

Hey, I've got an opportunity for some lucky person to secure a percentage investment in a toll bridge in Brooklyn. Only a few thousand dollars are needed for the initial buy-in. The projected return-on-investment over the first 12 months? 225 percent! Interested?

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/5133/brooklynbridge1.jpg

Hurry, won't last long! ;)

DaneA
03-10-2012, 20:58
Hey, I've got an opportunity for some lucky person to secure a percentage investment in a toll bridge in Brooklyn. Only a few thousand dollars are needed for the initial buy-in. The projected return-on-investment over the first 12 months? 225 percent! Interested?

Hurry, won't last long! ;)

Ok, so now there are two people that have heard it from folks that work for Glock. What are your credentials to dispute this claim?
:upeyes::upeyes:

Arc Angel
03-11-2012, 05:36
Ok, so now there are two people that have heard it from folks that work for Glock. What are your credentials to dispute this claim? :upeyes::upeyes:

Calm down! You haven't been around here long enough yet to be angry at anyone. I was dealing with Glock, Smyrna for years before you even signed onto this board. As for my credentials? Well, ....... they're better than yours! :cool:

Ryobi
03-11-2012, 05:50
No purpose. Doesn't help, doesn't necessarily hurt. What is the purpose? Do any of you have one or recommend it?

DaverZ
03-11-2012, 06:19
Had one in my 26 and 23,never any problems with either.I liked the finished look.

series1811
03-11-2012, 06:29
I've never put one on one of my Glocks, but I sure wish I had invented and marketed it to the people who do. :supergrin:

OldSchool64
03-11-2012, 09:26
Just installed LWD Grip Plug on G26. Fits flush with bottom of grip and adds nice bevel to rear of magazine well, great for fast snag-free reloading. Also fits snug, don't think I'll have to worry about it falling out.

As far as I'm concerned a few of my hard-earned dollars have been well spent. I recommend it, at least for sub-compact Glocks.

rta108
03-11-2012, 09:39
There is only one reason that void exists in the handle:
To allow for injection molding. Period.
A piece of steel occupies that area while plastic is injected. Otherwise, if it was solid, it would deform (shrink) while cooling and hardening.

Any excuse about debris, drainage, whatever, is marketing BS. "how do we explain this weird gap in the grip?"

ZekerMan
03-11-2012, 10:22
To allow for injection molding. Period.
A piece of steel occupies that area while plastic is injected. Otherwise, if it was solid, it would deform (shrink) while cooling and hardening.

Any excuse about debris, drainage, whatever, is marketing BS. "how do we explain this weird gap in the grip?"

Now that makes sense...Thanks!!!

SolidGun
03-11-2012, 10:35
For these people making your recommendation for this useless add on,

1) Have you actually had to rip the magazine out to clear a malfunction?
2) How does it prevent snagging when thousands of other owners have not had this issue?

Personally, I have only cleared using this channel once and it was just at the range. It would have been difficult for me to clear if I didn't have positive grip this deep in.

I have hard time believing in people that recommends something like this to be serious shooters. Why would you remove a feature that can help?

Arc Angel
03-11-2012, 10:49
To allow for injection molding. Period. A piece of steel occupies that area while plastic is injected. Otherwise, if it was solid, it would deform (shrink) while cooling and hardening.

I'm willing to bet that you are 100% correct. (When was the last time someone told you that!) Still, Glock, GmbH could put a plug in there IF they wanted to; but, as previously mentioned, that could cost Gaston tens of thousands of dollars each year. So it's better for the factory to perpetuate the, 'keep it clean' myth. ;)

Actually, though, when you wear a pistol around all day long, with some sort of cover garment on top of it, I've always been surprised at how much pocket and clothing crap - like lint, and cookie crumbs, and powdered sugar - can end up living inside that hole.

OldSchool64
03-11-2012, 10:52
For these people making your recommendation for this useless add on,

2) How does it prevent snagging when thousands of other owners have not had this issue?

I never said "snagging" was an issue, however I did mean to imply... When in a very stressful situation fine motor skills are often lost or diminished and a smooth mag. well "could" help with a fast reload.

I have actually seen flared mag. well extensions for Glocks. IMO that's over kill, but I don't wonder why some shooters have installed them.

Of coarse if there was a need to rip the magazine out the gun it "may" be helpful if a grip plug was not installed.

Pros and cons to everything... enough said.

Bill Lumberg
03-11-2012, 15:04
They don't help anything, and most permitees aren't going to be in a situation where they need that void open for water or debris to escape. So for a permittee or other non LE/mil application, they aren't likely to hurt either.

IndyGunFreak
03-12-2012, 08:13
No purpose. Doesn't help, doesn't necessarily hurt.

Neutrality is for wussies! ;) Pick a side for crying out loud, surely you must feel extremely passionate about the grip plug... doesn't everyone?

Just remember, this is the Internet, it's serious business.

(disclaimer: in case anyone doesn't get satire, I'm joking.. I agree w/ Ryobi completely. If it makes you feel better, use it, and practice with it... if you don't like it, don't use it, and practice w/o it)

IGF

fuzzy03cls
03-12-2012, 08:29
Only on purpose in training. Wasn't all that difficult to get the mag out from the sides. Honestly to get the gun to jam that bad where you need the leverage of the front to back grip in real life is pretty damn hard.

concretefuzzynuts
03-12-2012, 08:36
Flared mag well extension is for race guns. Think of it as a funnel for the magazine.

No plug for me.

Never had a jam, mags ALWAYS drop right out.

SolidGun
03-13-2012, 09:28
Only on purpose in training. Wasn't all that difficult to get the mag out from the sides. Honestly to get the gun to jam that bad where you need the leverage of the front to back grip in real life is pretty damn hard.

And in real life situation when fine motor control is out of your control?

People need to prioritize why they have guns and understand its use for them. It is a free country and you can plug it up if you want, but for me paying to cripple a firearm's function sounds stupid.

fuzzy03cls
03-14-2012, 10:28
People need to prioritize why they have guns and understand its use for them.And some need to stop passing judgment on others for the things they do to THEIR guns, & stop using blanket statements & passing them off as fact.

OldSchool64
03-14-2012, 20:46
And some need to stop passing judgment on others for the things they do to THEIR guns, & stop using blanket statements & passing them off as fact.

Well said!! :thumbsup:

michael_b
03-14-2012, 21:10
Interesting reading. I've used grip plugs on the two Glocks I've owned and like them.

It's mostly cosmetic for me, to each his own.

Posted from my iPhone

saxconnection
03-15-2012, 00:19
I like the plug on my G19. Mine has a bevel on it. If I fumble a reload a bit, I don't have to worry about the magazine catching the cutout. It's extra insurance, especially if you compete with what you carry.

Adam

series1811
03-15-2012, 04:56
And some need to stop passing judgment on others for the things they do to THEIR guns, & stop using blanket statements & passing them off as fact.

Yeah, that is true. I filed down the mag release (I had the extended one) on my G22, and rounded it off. I'm sure that will horrify some people here. :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

SC Tiger
03-15-2012, 11:14
One cool idea I saw was a disassembly tool (punch) that fit up into this area on the gun. Now, I admit that if I need that during a firefight (or somewhere where I can't take 10 minutes to go find a punch) I've got a BIG F#$%ING PROBLEM but it was a neat idea.

TBO
03-15-2012, 11:18
If you hold the gun sideways the plug won't fall out. :tbo:

MarkM32
03-15-2012, 11:31
Yeah, that is true. I filed down the mag release (I had the extended one) on my G22, and rounded it off. I'm sure that will horrify some people here. :supergrin::supergrin::supergrin:

Well would you look at that! How could you destroy your firearm in such a manner?!?

That being said, I do this every time. :whistling:

ShotRePeter
03-15-2012, 16:45
Isn't there a model that's like a trap door and holds an extra round? I know "what good would one loose round do" but if figured if you carry fully loaded with one in the pipe and you have to de-chamber, you could always put it there, or if stored, you could store it with full carry capacity without keeping it chambered. that way the round would never be "loose" if that kinda thing bothers you. I have just the standard plug with a little tab punch thing to keep it in, it came with the first glock I had, a gen 2 17, I then traded that for a gen 2 19, but kept the plug and put it in the 19, and when I traded that for a gen 3 19, i kept it and installed it again. I personally like the more solid and finished look it gives it and I always notice the space their when I handle other glocks, but thats just me.

larson1122
03-15-2012, 16:52
Just picked one up for my Gen 4 G26 and I think it looks great. No real purpose other than looks for me. Keeps lint from building up but that has never really been a huge issue.

kaptain
03-15-2012, 17:03
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7061/6964206599_274b3c02f6_z.jpg

I have them for my G19 and G26, I like them so far, I really like the one on the g19 because it helps with my reloads.

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7190/6957292335_7414e3a710_z.jpg

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7203/6964204009_22d08f2f27_z.jpg

Jade Falcon
03-15-2012, 19:31
I've considered getting one for my daily-carry G22, because at night, when I place it on the nightstand, I notice a bunch of dust up inside the hole, and it bugs me to no end. Once in a while, I take a Q-tip to it and dust it out, but I would like something in place so that I didn't have to do that. If that means getting a butt-plug, then so be it.

DaBurna
03-15-2012, 19:37
Here's your solution... U can plug your butts and still rip a mag out if needed? Lol!

http://militarytimes.com/blogs/gearscout/2012/03/13/vickers-tactical-glock-baseplates/

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

Keyhole
03-15-2012, 19:55

Do what you want, but what I (one of many Glock armorers) posted is the official story from Glock. There are a lot of opinions on this issue, but at least my statement has actual references. It's really not that big of a deal, is it?? :dunno: