Do you belong to a Preparedness Organization? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Do you belong to a Preparedness Organization?

Bolster
03-09-2012, 19:59
Do you belong to a preparedness organization of some sort, and if so, which one? What do you make of it?

RMTactical
03-10-2012, 17:45
I will say, the LDS community is pretty good about this.

Of course, there are people in the church that couldn't care less about prepping, but you usually dont have to look far to find those who are into it and network with them if that is what you are after.

quake
03-10-2012, 19:53
Sheriff's department and Rotary Club... :supergrin:

DJ Niner
03-10-2012, 19:57
Boy Scouts? :whistling:

Best I can do, and my membership is about 4 decades out-of-date...

Still got the manual, though. Good book, with chapters on many basic preparedness subjects.

Nine Shooter
03-11-2012, 15:24
A Sheriff's Office sponsored or affiliated Search & Rescue group. We have a bunch of good ones around here.

mac66
03-12-2012, 08:36
too much info so I deleted it. Short answer...no

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 09:46
In a way, yes. The guys at work are all preppers whether they call themselves that or not. They all try for as much self-sufficiency as possible. They're all gun nuts by some people's standards. Many raise their own food to some degree.

M1A Shooter
03-25-2012, 13:22
i found a group of locals in Yahoo Groups. they seem to be pretty good with networking and meeting up to share info and skills. will see what this leads to.

TangoFoxtrot
03-26-2012, 02:30
Nope I don't network. I have yet to meet anyone who preps. (or perhaps they just don't say). So I don't bring it up.

Kieller
03-26-2012, 11:21
Do you belong to a preparedness organization of some sort, and if so, which one? What do you make of it?

Yes in a way. I'm a member of my local CERT crew. (Community Emergency Response Team)

I have met a few individuals through it but we never talk about prepping in particular, just being prepared for emergency situations. I can tell that several folks are like minded though and probably have more than just the standard CERT pack ready to go.

+1 to Boy Scouts. When the motto is "Be Prepared" you can't say it isn't at least a preparedness based organization.

Bolster
03-26-2012, 12:06
Yes in a way. I'm a member of my local CERT crew. (Community Emergency Response Team)

Great! I think CERT is a decent network to belong to. It's not demanding, but you get the advantage of "being on the side of the law" as an auxiliary of sorts. You get an official looking badge and you can claim you're there to help. It's not a serious network of any sort but it does give you a sort of "moral high ground" status, which personally I think will be VERY useful in any emergency or disaster.

You can walk around in a helmet carrying a crowbar and a radio without needing to make explanations.

Glockdude1
03-26-2012, 12:27
I am a member of GT................Does that count?

:tongueout:

Bolster
03-26-2012, 12:47
I am a member of GT................Does that count?

Serious answer? I think so. This is a community. We hang out and talk. From my perspective, everyone here already belongs to one (very loose, somewhat combative, and not at all organized) S/P association.

I don't know about you guys, but I've learned a TON since being here. Yes, I enjoy arguing, and I probably don't thank people enough for sharing their insights, but I feel this forum is like going to S/P class with 90 professors teaching it. Not much agreement but it gets the neurons firing in the right direction.

So if I haven't said it recently: THANK YOU GT S/P subforum for the education...and if you're reading this, please take my 'thank-you' personally because I am tossing a virtual flower at YOU!

:thanks:

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-26-2012, 14:24
I know someone who is a member of a "MAG".. I have been asked to join, but I am a long way from their center. I do know if I was up there when the SHTF, I could show up and they would welcome me. But doubtful, though you never know, that I would be in that A.O. at the time.

We do have some other people near us, who are of a similar mindset, and whom we spend time with, but it has not come up yet that we should organize in any way.

medicmanaz
03-26-2012, 15:22
Serious answer? I think so. This is a community. We hang out and talk. From my perspective, everyone here already belongs to one (very loose, somewhat combative, and not at all organized) S/P association.

I don't know about you guys, but I've learned a TON since being here. Yes, I enjoy arguing, and I probably don't thank people enough for sharing their insights, but I feel this forum is like going to S/P class with 90 professors teaching it. Not much agreement but it gets the neurons firing in the right direction.

So if I haven't said it recently: THANK YOU GT S/P subforum for the education...and if you're reading this, please take my 'thank-you' personally because I am tossing a virtual flower at YOU!

+1, thanks guys

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

mac66
03-26-2012, 15:25
I just invented a new organization. It is called

Preparedness Organization Of Preppers

Y'all are welcome to join.

Glockdude1
03-26-2012, 15:49

:agree:

quake
03-27-2012, 08:21
...I don't know about you guys, but I've learned a TON since being here. Yes, I enjoy arguing, and I probably don't thank people enough for sharing their insights, but I feel this forum is like going to S/P class with 90 professors teaching it. Not much agreement but it gets the neurons firing in the right direction.

So if I haven't said it recently: THANK YOU GT S/P subforum for the education...and if you're reading this, please take my 'thank-you' personally because I am tossing a virtual flower at YOU!...

Same here as well. I've been a member here for over a dozen years (pre-Y2K), but still learn things and discover new ideas on a regular basis. Disagreement with others doesn't have to be a barrier to learning from them.

Bolster
03-27-2012, 08:28
I just invented a new organization. It is called: Preparedness Organization Of Preppers. Y'all are welcome to join.

I would like to be the first recruit to join POOP. I already own the uniform (brown pants), but need to learn the secret "flushy" handshake. If I can recruit fellow Angelino BDCochran, can we form the LA POOP troop?

Bren
03-27-2012, 08:30

U.S. Army Reserve. It's pretty well prepared.

RED64CJ5
03-27-2012, 12:07
Yes, I belong to an organization of Christ's followers, also known as Christians. We prepare for the return of our Savior, Jesus Christ. A lot of "preppers" fail to do any work in this category, one I consider most critical. Our time on this earth is limited, that much we know.

How you CHOOSE to spend your after life is a critical preparation often overlooked. Just because you "claim" to be a Christian, have you opened up a Bible and read from the word itself what it takes to gain admission to paradise? Checking a "box" on an application or attending church once in a while doesn't count.

In addition to the most important organization I've mentioned, I am active in amateur radio organizations.

Akita
03-27-2012, 12:21
LE, NG, and LDS, tho not a member of the latter.

pugman
03-27-2012, 12:30
Besides this forum...no.

To my family and friends I am a member of my own club: Pugman is crazy

You would think based on what you see on TV prepping would become at least marginally more common in my AO.

Nope - as a matter of fact family and friends use these shows against me

coastal4974
03-27-2012, 20:11
Nope.

I donít know anyone who preps, I continue to prep little by little and donít mention it to others.

I just joined CERT but our neighborhood captain hasnít done anything in the past and therefore he was the only CERT member for over 700 doors. Since Iíve joined Iíve been pushing him to work on forming a membership. Itís not easy, he joins a lot of clubs and organizations and spreads himself to the point where at least CERT is left flat. At least I know our hood is totally unorganized.

quake
03-28-2012, 06:13
Yes, I belong to an organization of Christ's followers, also known as Christians. We prepare for the return of our Savior, Jesus Christ. A lot of "preppers" fail to do any work in this category, one I consider most critical. Our time on this earth is limited, that much we know.

How you CHOOSE to spend your after life is a critical preparation often overlooked. Just because you "claim" to be a Christian, have you opened up a Bible and read from the word itself what it takes to gain admission to paradise? Checking a "box" on an application or attending church once in a while doesn't count...

:thumbsup:

hokieglock
03-28-2012, 21:27
yes, my family, and that's all that matters.