Function of Your Firearm [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Function of Your Firearm

Gary Slider
03-09-2012, 22:37
Mas, I haven't seen it discussed here as today I ran into a problem with ammo feeding in my backup gun. I want everyone to make sure they check their carry ammo in their firearm to make sure it will function.

My 442 is just a little big for my pocket and I got tired of cleaning it when carrying on my ankle and getting to old to get to it fast down there. Hell getting old. So I have gone to my little Kel-Tec 32 as my back up gun in my weak side front pocket full time.

Today I tried out the Hornady Critical Defense 32 Auto 60 gr XTP. It would not function in the firearm. Manually trying to chamber a round or when firing it would not chamber the next round. The slide would stop with just over 1/2 the round in the chamber and no further. Even using my palm on the back of the slide did not good.

The Winchester runs in the Little Kel-Tec just fine with no problems. I did try the Hornady in a Beretta Tomcat and it ran just fine. Every firearm is just a little different and another Kel-Tec 32 might run it fine. But mine would not. The lady I was cleaning the little Beretta for will now have 200 rounds of Hornady Critical Defense to use.

I remember very vividly at LFI-1 you talking about making sure your firearm would function with your carry ammo and 200 rounds without a hiccup was your standard. I have followed that advice ever since. I think all the readers her should hear that. It is something that could save your life.

Mas Ayoob
03-10-2012, 03:54
Excellent point, Gary. It's emergency life-saving rescue equipment, and reliability is a non-negotiable baseline.

I know 200 rounds is expensive, especially today, but it's important. There are some in the business who think I'm a piker recommending 200 rounds, and recommend up to 1000 rounds without a malf before trusting the gun.

best,
Mas