Holstered For Nightstand Duty? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Holstered For Nightstand Duty?

BamaAL24
03-09-2012, 22:48
Does any one holster their nightstand gun? I have always taken mine from my IWB holster to an Uncle Mikes softie holster to set it on the nightstand.

I thought about it tonight and can't really find a justification for it. Just a habit I've developed.

Anybody do something similar? Why or why not?

Also: hope this is the right place for this discussion. Please let me know if it's not.

Edit: first response brought up a good point...no little ones around or prying hands to worry about from a safety standpoint.

Wrench78
03-09-2012, 22:56
I have little ones around, so mine is in a safe next to by bed. But its loaded and ready when pulled out. If I didn't have kids around, I probably would so something like that.

TSAX
03-09-2012, 23:07
Try this one out or have you thought of a mini vault

http://www.crossbreedholsters.com/BedsideBackup/tabid/99/List/0/ProductID/14/CategoryID/4/Level/1/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName

:50cal:

Sheepdog Scout
03-09-2012, 23:17
Mine goes into a drawer besides my bed. The carry gun is my nightstand gun. So I let it breath in the drawer.

ScottieG59
03-09-2012, 23:20
At home, I keep the gun in my IWB holster right by my bed. It is nowhere near where my wife might trip over it, but I also want to be able to grab for it with the trigger covered.

A small safe would be fine too if there were kids around. I understand the small safes sometimes do not open easily.

When I travel and stay in a hotel, I keep the gun unhostered and right by the bed. It may not be the best, but I would really hate to forget the gun in the hotel when I leave. I know it is unlikely, but I have some practices to avoid forgetting things.

PaleRider505
03-09-2012, 23:22
I keep mine holstered just because I have a fear of accidently pulling the trigger if I have to reach for it if awakened.

DaneA
03-09-2012, 23:22
Mine is in C3 on a shelf in my headboard. No real reason it isn't in a holster other than I just started putting it there one night.

canav844
03-09-2012, 23:31
With one in the Chamber I keep it holstered unless there is a compelling reason for it to leave. No kids, so at night I leave the pants next to the bed, with the gun spare mags, and flashlight all ready to go where I would normally have them where I've taught my brain to look for them. Something goes wrong in the middle of the night, I pop up out of bed pull the pants up and I'm ready to go with 2 guns, one spare mag a weapon light on the fullsize gun a separate tac light to search with and utilize with the BUG if so needed. The AR is accessible, and stored condition 3 with dust cover closed, inspected once a week and shot then cleaned at least once per month.

If I had kids around then a bedside safe would be an absolute must, when family with kids visit I bust out the travel pelican case and have a key lock on it.

ConcealedG23
03-09-2012, 23:59
I've got a GunVault MicroVault on my nightstand that holds my G23, 2 mags and a flashlight. I've got 3 kids 6 and under so things have to be kept safe and secured.

D

EAJuggalo
03-10-2012, 07:43
I keep two handguns holstered in the nightstand drawer, my G21SF and a Taurus 650 snubbie revolver. Those are also my carry guns, when I decide which I'm carrying that day I take that one, already in it's holster and put it on the belt. End of the day I take the holster off and put it back in the drawer. When traveling I usually only take one gun and there are a number of factors that play into the decision of which one. If it's the Glock it spends it's nights in a Secure-it portable lockbox without the holster, the revolver goes in holster and all.

Lampshade
03-10-2012, 07:47
I keep mine holstered just because I have a fear of accidently pulling the trigger if I have to reach for it if awakened.

This.

Clay1
03-10-2012, 08:39
I've got a GunVault MicroVault on my nightstand that holds my G23, 2 mags and a flashlight. I've got 3 kids 6 and under so things have to be kept safe and secured.

D

Nicely done, congrats for solid technique while maintaining your family's safety.

For those who think that keeping a gun holstered because you are afraid that you might press the trigger - I'm not buying in on that one. One: pick the gun up with your finger straight and indexed along the frame.

Have you seen other people pull a gun out of a holster that is sitting on the table and not attached to a belt often? Many people pull the gun out with their strong hand and sweep or muzzle their week hand which is holding the holster. If they don't learn proper indexing technique of the shooting finger you can pull out of your tabled holster and shoot yourself in your week hand and have what I like to refer to as "a bad day".

I have to say this so that the above statement isn't easily confused. I'm not talking about carrying your gun concealed around town, there you need a holster that covers the trigger, but to sit it on a table or in a drawer, no - proper trigger finger position takes care of that.

One more thing about putting a gun in a drawer. I would want it so that it is in the same position everytime no matter if I open or close the door abruptly. I do really like the bed holster by Crossbreed but that isn't a holster that is sitting in a drawer or on a table top. The holster is in a fixed position and you can draw from it safely under stress.

Back to how this post opened. If you have children in the house, or visitors with children or you have grand children who come over - get one of those quick access safes and you don't have to put the gun in a holster while in that either.

Rick

jwhite75
03-10-2012, 08:53
I dont have kids in the house so my 23 with X200 mounted and a handheld light lay unholstered on the nightstand

FAS1
03-10-2012, 09:11
One more thing about putting a gun in a drawer. I would want it so that it is in the same position everytime no matter if I open or close the door abruptly. I do really like the bed holster by Crossbreed but that isn't a holster that is sitting in a drawer or on a table top. The holster is in a fixed position and you can draw from it safely under stress.

Back to how this post opened. If you have children in the house, or visitors with children or you have grand children who come over - get one of those quick access safes and you don't have to put the gun in a holster while in that either.

Rick

I have the best of both worlds, holstered and secured. A heavy duty, mechanical push button operated quick acccess handgun safe that utilizes a built in holster to cover the trigger and it also uses a gas spring to present it to you in the exact same place and orientation every time. :wow:

So, yes I guess mine's holstered.

FAS1 SAFE - YouTube

3000fps
03-10-2012, 10:22
I leave my primary carry inside the crossbreed supertuck and set it on my nightstand next to my bed with 1 spare magazine.

Under my bed is an Romanian WASR-10.

Next to my pillow on the nightstand is a gunvault quick access safe with the key inside it (in case the batteries die) with two more pistols and 5 spare loaded magazines 1/2 with FMJ 1/2 with HP for the AK.

Also keep 2x 33rnd magazines loaded with 124 +P Gold Dot for my 19

Jason D
03-10-2012, 18:39
My primary HD pistol is always in a holster, next to a double magazine carrier with two loaded mags. The reason it resides in the holster is mainly because I also use it for carry.

There are other guns around the house that can be gotten to quickly, but only one other is in a holster. That's mostly so I can thread it on my belt in just a few seconds and carry that if needed.

cowboy1964
03-10-2012, 19:48
I've heard pros say that they don't even keep their nighttime weapon anyplace accessible from the bed... they have to get up and go to it (in the same room of course). This prevents them from grabbing it while half asleep.

Sound advice but of course it would be recommended to have some sort of early warning system (dogs and/or an alarm system). I mean let's face it, if you need the gun while you're still in bed, it's probably too late anyway.

wrenrj1
03-10-2012, 19:50
Yes, always in a holster with one in the pipe.

jbailey8
03-10-2012, 20:13
Clay1, that sounded a little judgmental. I can understand being worried about grabbing a gun in the dark and accidentally fingering the trigger. Even if I keep my index finger extended, whats to say I won't accidentally grab too far up on the grip and hit the trigger with my middle finger? That said I keep my carry/nightstand gun in the holster and in a bedside safe. My BUG is in the safe unholstered. Everything else is safely stored in the closet.

Darkangel1846
03-11-2012, 11:32
I don't keep it in a holster, but on a no slip rubber pad.

MaximaDrvr
03-11-2012, 14:57
I keep it in my EDC in its holster, chambered, and just put it on the night stand at night.
No reason to un-holster and leave it sitting on a table top.

ADK_40GLKr
03-11-2012, 17:02
My G27 is in a soft IWB holster between articles of clothing on a nearby shelf.

The holster keeps me from hitting the trigger if I have to grope for the gun (and flashlight) in the dark.

I drill with the set up frequently as I have to grab holster with left hand, pistol grip with right, and light with (other) left.

Mudshark100
03-11-2012, 18:15
I keep mine on the night stand in a Don Hume 715. I wouldn't want to be fumbling around for my gun in the dark without the trigger covered.

Rev.357
03-11-2012, 20:20
Keep 2 on my side one in the holster the other laying ready & one on the wifes side laying ready.

Jon_R
03-12-2012, 16:52
I am usually carrying my LCR in a pocket holster so I just pop the entire thing out and leave it on the nightstand when I go to bed. Also have a semi auto and light in a push button lock box near by.

My kids are 13-16 and shooters. The oldest has her own gun (g17) so she should leave mine alone and the other two are not allowed in my room without permission and firearms are not unique or foreign to them. At times I will have them unload my carry gun to reinforce touching them has little mystique when not at the range. They are simple devices to be respected and handling them safely is pretty easy.

Just how I handle it all.

Warp
03-12-2012, 17:59
My nightstand gun is a holstered pistol, ready to go.

hi-power man
03-12-2012, 18:50
I always put my pistol in an UM soft holster when it's on the nightstand.

Sgt.K
03-12-2012, 19:31
I too keep my 26 in holster, a Remora. Mostly to keep my finger from inadvertently getting on the trigger. Get up I just slip it into the waistband of my lounging/sleeping shorts.

BrewerGeorge
03-12-2012, 20:24
Mine always stays in the holster. I don't want to accidentally hit the button, or have any of the other stuff in the drawer cause a problem. Keeps it cleaner, too.

Falcon5269
03-12-2012, 22:48
G23 in a bio vault with a surefire FL. Under my bed is a Maxpedition Fatboy Versipack (Contains another tac lite with strobe, 2 sets handcuffs, pocket for cell ph, pepper spray and 2 spare mags.

Its the quickest way to access ur gun and throw on some gear in the dark while ur half asleep. You could be naked, in boxers, pj's whatever and still respond with gear. Just throw it over your shoulder and go to work. Has an internal holster. Theres even more pockets left for other gear like AR mags etc.

Ammo: CORBON!! Take ur pick (It all kicks butt)

And if that don't work, I piss on em!!

scottkennedy05
03-12-2012, 23:28
None holstered. Primary is in a safe by the bed (I have three kids young ones). I even go so far as not having it loaded. I feel the same way as Cowboy 1964, if I need it that quick from bed, it's probably already too. But we also have an early warning system if there is unusual activity or unauthorized entry to the home.

Sharky7
03-13-2012, 01:57
I keep it in a kydex holster on the nightstand. My reason is to cover that trigger guard and practice good safety.