Preppers???????? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Preppers????????

MoneyMaker
03-10-2012, 04:39
Ok this is for all the folks who think the world is ending,economic collapse,EMP,ect....... Now that you have all taken out 2nd loans on your homes,Used all the kids college funds,Or have taken a business approach to make underground living,Or have just spent Thousands upon thousands to stash food,water,guns,ammo,ect in your homes,Well what will you do with it after this year?Did you or are you gonna WILL this to your children ?There was no Y2K and there was no issue with a EMP this week so do you really think there will be a Catastrophic issue this year ?Or just hoping to get your own television show on cable?

spikedzombies
03-10-2012, 04:43
So you just decided to make a thread to get flamed?

All my prepping stuff gets used every year. Food gets cycled and used or donated, guns and ammo get used, ammo used... Most prepping stuff gets used in every day life and I don't buy anything that can't be used for multiple scenarios...

"Sent while riding my purple unicorn bareback through the clouds"

UneasyRider
03-10-2012, 05:36
Prepping is mostly buying things that you will use later in larger quantities now, at least that's where the money is. Look at the thread about taking your neighbors food at gunpoint and tell me who is kinder and smarter, the guy who has prepped and does not need to steal or the guy who has not and finds himself doing desperate things.

Most people on this board prep because they could not live with the alternative of letting their family go hungry or be victimized. It does not take a lot of money either as most of the things that people need to do combined cost less than $5,000. Of course some do a little more than others...

MoneyMaker
03-10-2012, 06:10
Where does one come up with $5000 to prep?Unless you are talking over a 5-10 year time frame.I dont have $5000 let alone $300,000 like others are spending.No way would i take out a 2nd Loan on my house to go in debt for someting goofy as the world will end scenario crap.But you 2 failed to answer the Question of do you think we will have such a issue this year that all your prepping and undeground bunkers and bugout spots will pan out?And getting flamed?Geez who cares it is a crazy almost unrealistic subject anyway.Flame on.And yes i would take my neighbors food as they are about 450 pounds and always have plenty so why do i need to spend money i dont have,hahahahahahahahahaha

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-10-2012, 06:25
Obvious troll is obvious.

#ignore

Rumbler_G20
03-10-2012, 06:25
Well, you can rest assured that one thing that will not be done is to be used to cover you or yours's butts. :wavey:

Ok this is for all the folks who think the world is ending,economic collapse,EMP,ect....... Now that you have all taken out 2nd loans on your homes,Used all the kids college funds,Or have taken a business approach to make underground living,Or have just spent Thousands upon thousands to stash food,water,guns,ammo,ect in your homes,Well what will you do with it after this year?Did you or are you gonna WILL this to your children ?There was no Y2K and there was no issue with a EMP this week so do you really think there will be a Catastrophic issue this year ?Or just hoping to get your own television show on cable?

MoneyMaker
03-10-2012, 06:31
Whatever,keep on boosting the economy as we all know Obahma cant do it.Now go buy some of them

2 million dollar bunkers

kckndrgn
03-10-2012, 06:33
To paraphrase a quote from another prepping community, I prep to help me live the life I want, even it nothing goes wrong.

With that being said, I don't go into debt to prep, anyone who does is not prepping, IMHO.

kimo
03-10-2012, 06:50
Where does one come up with $5000 to prep?Unless you are talking over a 5-10 year time frame.I dont have $5000 let alone $300,000 like others are spending.No way would i take out a 2nd Loan on my house to go in debt for someting goofy as the world will end scenario crap.

So, this is all about envy? You can't find the money? Never heard of budgeting?

?Geez who cares it is a crazy almost unrealistic subject anyway.Flame on.And yes i would take my neighbors food as they are about 450 pounds and always have plenty so why do i need to spend money i dont have,hahahahahahahahahaha

Oh, so you're one of those...... You would kill a neighbor for their food, revealing that you are so irresponsible that you don't take necessary precautions to care of yourself or others (even FEMA recommends at least a weeks worth of food and water set aside...that is prepping ya know).

By the way, you could find your decision to steal from your neighbors fatal if the time ever arrived.

As to prepping you see on TV....do you honestly think these are the norm? Would TV present an honest program on prepping or one that would bring in viewers by focusing on the more extreme cases, outliers statistically?

There are thousands of hardworking, scrimping, quiet, responsible people who know that bad things can happen and prepare for that eventuality. Its practical insurance. Mock their conscientiousness if you like. Just don't approach them for help if you find yourself needing it. They are under no obligation to even give you the time of day.

You may act and think like a child all your life, but only your parents are required to care for you.

NDCent
03-10-2012, 06:51
And yes i would take my neighbors food as they are about 450 pounds and always have plenty so why do i need to spend money i dont have,hahahahahahahahahaha

He got that fat from eating the previous tenant of your apartment. :grill:

UneasyRider
03-10-2012, 08:23
Ok, so your not into prepping but would like to argue with some people who are? Surely you have better things to do with your time don't you?

Anyway, your posts are why they made the "Ignore" button. Goodbye.

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

inzone
03-10-2012, 08:58
actually, from a purely financial aspect prepping is also very smart......I bought 4 in the box Russian SKS's brand new about 25 years ago for I believe about 149 dollars apiece....I could easily sell all four of them today for about 380 bucks or so, maybe even a little more at some of the long line gunshows in my AO....a far better return that the DOW jones average, especially after the crash...... I bought several cases of Chinese 7.62 39 for the obscenely dirt cheap price of about 50 bucks a case if memory serves me.....well today this is almost impossible to get premium ammo (not sure why) and it is five times that amount..... great investment, I have them in my possession, inflation hedge, they aint paper/fiat.....and I can actually use them to defend my family and arm my family,. I can shoot them for fun and training, etc etc.....

what is the downside here in re the OP??????

Syclone538
03-10-2012, 10:17
I'm pretty sure you are a troll, but nobody answered if they think an "issue" will happen this year. Maybe you just got a crazy idea of people that prepare from one of the tv shows, that while I've never seen, everyone (S&P'er or not) seems to think are pretty crazy.

So what do I think will happen this year? (Not necessarily to me, or in my location)

Mayan apocalypse? No
Nuclear EMP? No
Carrington event EMP? No, not this year
Eccomonic collapse? No, not this year
Hurricane? Yes
Flood? Yes
Drought? Yes
Tornado? Yes
Blizzard? Yes
Earthquake? Yes
Power outage? Yes
City water boil advisory? Yes
Car wreck? Yes
Unemployment? Yes
Heart attack? Yes
Robbery/mugging? Yes

Does that help you understand at all? Things happen to people all the time that almost everyone could be better prepared for. It's odds vs stakes. And yeah we talk more about guns and outdoor stuff, because, we are guys on a gun forum. It's more fun to talk about guns then water storage.

MoneyMaker
03-10-2012, 10:24
I'm pretty sure you are obviously a troll, but nobody answered if they think an "issue" will happen this year. Maybe you just got a crazy idea of people that prepare from one of the tv shows, that while I've never seen, everyone (S&P'er or not) seems to think are pretty crazy.

So what do I think will happen this year? (Not necessarily to me, or in my location)

Mayan apocalypse? No
Nuclear EMP? No
Carrington event EMP? No, not this year
Eccomonic collapse? No, not this year
Hurricane? Yes
Flood? Yes
Drought? Yes
Tornado? Yes
Blizzard? Yes
Earthquake? Yes
Power outage? Yes
City water boil advisory? Yes
Car wreck? Yes
Unemployment? Yes

Does that help you understand at all? Things happen to people all the time that almost everyone could be better prepared for.

So why waste all you money and time as this is a every event thast has happen and took place for a very very long time and folks seem to fair pretty well,Without bullet proof vest,1000s of rounds of ammo,underground bunkers in a old silo area,$20,000 in food,But then again this is how i see you guys that watch to much television.

MoneyMaker
03-10-2012, 10:27
Ok, so your not into prepping but would like to argue with some people who are? Surely you have better things to do with your time don't you?

Anyway, your posts are why they made the "Ignore" button. Goodbye.

:wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey::wavey:

Not trying to argue,just pointing out the facts,You will die of regular health issues before you see a Economic Downfall,EMP,ZOMBIES,ECT ECT.So you guys can put your combat attire on and hope to get off a few rounds at someone,But i can tell you this,Its not gonna make you happy after you do shoot someone and HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT VISION EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!

Syclone538
03-10-2012, 10:58
So why waste all you money and time as this is a every event thast has happen and took place for a very very long time and folks seem to fair pretty well,Without bullet proof vest,1000s of rounds of ammo,underground bunkers in a old silo area,$20,000 in food,But then again this is how i see you guys that watch to much television.

Sorry I've been doing several things at once and have been editing my post, even after you quoted it, without realizing it. Added Heart attack and robbery/mugging.

Fair pretty well is a matter of opinion, and we disagree. While most people live through those events, why would you not want to raise your odds of living through them, and minimize the effect they have on you?

Not trying to argue,just pointing out the facts,You will die of regular health issues before you see a Economic Downfall,EMP,ZOMBIES,ECT ECT.So you guys can put your combat attire on and hope to get off a few rounds at someone,But i can tell you this,Its not gonna make you happy after you do shoot someone and HAVE TO LIVE WITH THAT VISION EVERYDAY!!!!!!!!!

We all hope that it's never needed.

Yeah, a heart attack is something that many people need to seriously think about what they can do you prevent it.

Dr.Crash
03-10-2012, 12:59

If it keeps my family alive..... I'm sure I'll be able to live with myself.

9jeeps
03-10-2012, 13:35
So are these folks "Preppers" or "Hoarders"? Passing through the channels I've noticed most Preppers look like what we use to call junk collectors.

Me a, Prepper? Oh hell no!!!

Those are the first ones that are going to be blown to hell and back from roving gangs that like to do stuff like that. Or found by the local Cops to confiscate your loot. Yep! and they will probably be your friends.

Plus it will be a cinch to shut off their air supply or smoke them out. But more power to them if they feel safe.

At my age I only need one lil gun and a couple bullets in case I miss with the first one. And even then it's going to have to be mighty chaotic!

To protect your own is heroic. To allow them to cook in their own body fluids is moronic.

Misty02
03-10-2012, 14:07

The folks that fared well from those events many are likely to experience are the folks that planned ahead and prepared (or the folks that received help from others that prepared).

Wilma was just a cat 2 when it hit Miami; it left us without power for 3+ weeks. Gas stations couldn’t pump gas (no electricity). Our neighbors pulled together and those with little to no supplies received assistance from the rest of us. No one really thought we would be without power for over 3 weeks and that it would affect two big counties. What do you believe would have happened to those few neighbors who had no food or water beyond a couple of days?

The people that spend large amount of money on bunkers and the like are those that have it. Many of us store what we would normally consume and use and rotate those supplies. We buy things when they are two for one special and the like. It can even help if for reasons beyond your control one month you have extraordinary expenses that go beyond the norm, there is no need to go without things you are accustomed, just borrow from your supplies and replace it when you can.

How long did it take for FEMA to deliver water to those affected by Katrina? How long can you survive from what you have in your home as respect food and water without stealing or being at the mercy of a good neighbor?

concretefuzzynuts
03-10-2012, 14:41
I too live on the coast. We have had many storms and hurricanes that leave us without power, water, food and stranded. We would be stupid not to have a supply of essentials. As far as bunkers, I don't need one but who am I or you to judge someone else's comfort level? To make fun of what someone else does that has no effect on you is childish and shows low class.

quake
03-10-2012, 14:56
"Preppers" portrayed on TV shows such as Doomsday Bunker, etc, are about as representative of real preppers, as "Desperate Housewives" is of real housewives or "The Bachelor" is of actual bachelors.

Don't need a bunker? Fine, how about simply needing the ability to make a decent dinner if the power is out for a few days? "Actual" prepping isn't about zombies; it's simply about reducing a person's dependence on things that are out of their control. Things like temporary power outages due to ice storms or hurricanes, temporary financial crises due to layoffs, or some sleepy truck driver tipping a load of noxious chemicals on the highway upwind of your home. Simple things, that really do happen every day in America, and can hit us individually with little or no warning.

Zombies are punks. Everyday life is what can kill you and should therefore be 'prepared' for.

PettyOfficer
03-10-2012, 15:30
Okay: I've normally been a troll against preppers, but now that I've seen some very reasonable responses, I'll only troll on those who buy every gun and round of ammo they can.

But short term emergency prepping is logical. I have about 600 rounds of ammo (for the range, eventually) and some canned tuna kept up in the cubbard (I live on the gulf coast), and even though it's a minimal amount I guess it's technically prepping.

Interesting. I'll never have 10k rounds of ammo, I'll never have 2 years of food and water stored up, but a case of water and some canned tuna to survive a few days after a big storm isn't unreasonable.

MoneyMaker
03-10-2012, 16:45
I am the short term troll as well,I can last a month,I figure i am not gonna go in debt or try to skimp and save for something in my state that may not take place,Earthquake?Maybe.When ? Hell who knows been lots of predictions as i am close to New Madrid Fault line,Tornadoes?Seem them every spring,summer and fall,Its just mother nature.Flood wont hamper me not close enough to bother me.Wild fires?Maybe from some meth lab explosion.Health issues?Its in Gods hand not mine no matter what i decide to do.Drought we experience it every few years,had cracks you could get your feet stuck in last year.Didnt loose any sleep over it.Power Outage only 2 in my life time,One in dead of a winter ice storm for 2 weeks,survived just fine,Last one 7 years ago after spring tornadoes,Lasted 3 weeks,Did just fine but did get warm in houses.Boil water?When floods happen,but only been once in 48 years.So NO i dont get overwhelmed like others here and other areas as i just dont see what most are prepping for ever gonna take place in this life time.If the world is ending i sure cant do nothing about it no matter how much i would prep.EMP?Well just be without electric,maybe car,cell phone,cable,internet ect.But it wont cause me to loose my mind.Economic collapse?I do see that as this President will see to that if he has another term,And if not the new Leader has no clue as how to run this country either so they will do it for us.Already has effected me,Massive job cut reduction where i was working and i was part of it.Still alive and doing well.So like i said you all keep spending all that hard earned money or the money you was so gifted as it seems to make you happy.Troll on

UneasyRider
03-10-2012, 16:58
Okay: I've normally been a troll against preppers, but now that I've seen some very reasonable responses, I'll only troll on those who buy every gun and round of ammo they can.

But short term emergency prepping is logical. I have about 600 rounds of ammo (for the range, eventually) and some canned tuna kept up in the cubbard (I live on the gulf coast), and even though it's a minimal amount I guess it's technically prepping.

Interesting. I'll never have 10k rounds of ammo, I'll never have 2 years of food and water stored up, but a case of water and some canned tuna to survive a few days after a big storm isn't unreasonable.

Welcome aboard! That is exactly how I became a prepper, it was a natural extension of living in Florida and liking to eat.

You are going to need more water than a case though, if the water shuts off for a week in florida you will want 2 gallons per day per person, and the best part is that it is FREE if you act before the hurricane. Good luck to you!

thesurefire
03-10-2012, 18:35
First off try and use paragraphs, or at least some sort of line break.

Earthquake?Maybe.When ?

Think about this, all of these events WILL HAPPEN at some time.
enormous asteroid impact
super flu that's highly contagious and lethal
massive earthquake in the new madrid fault
super volcano eruption

While none of us will likely see any of those events in our lifetime, likely isnt a strong enough premise for me to say "well whatever then"

Do you have car or medical insurance? You probably wont be in a car wreck and you probably wont need medical care....

Health issues?Its in Gods hand not mine no matter what i decide to do

Do you think obese smokers live shorter lives because God doesn't like them? I think they die young because they dont take care of themselves. Your fate is in your control weather you like it or not.

If the world is ending i sure cant do nothing about it no matter how much i would prep.

Maybe you should consider that you could do something about it, but actively choose not to.

So like i said you all keep spending all that hard earned money or the money you was so gifted as it seems to make you happy

I will, because like shooting, weight lifting, and fine dining, prepping is one of the things I enjoy spending my time and money on. I have a friend that enjoys expensive whiskey, as in 300+ dollars a bottle. Would you argue with him for that?

Already has effected me,Massive job cut reduction where i was working and i was part of it

If you see how the world can change and refuse to do anything about preparing for that change, fine, but at least think about this:

If nothing ever happens you and I will be both be sitting in the comfort of our climate controlled homes, which are full of food and beer, happy. :whistling:

If the world ends I will be sitting in the comfort of my climate controlled home thats full of food and beer happy, and you will either be dead or miserable because you failed to prepare. :upeyes:

Misty02
03-10-2012, 19:06
If the world ends I will be sitting in the comfort of my climate controlled home thats full of food and beer happy, and you will either be dead or miserable because you failed to prepare. :upeyes:

And to be honest, I have few issues with that. I have a problem when people who don’t even try/don’t care and then there is a need, attempt to make their problems mine.

I don’t have preparations to the level I believe we should have, I have neither the money nor the space; nonetheless, we’ve tried as best as we could and pray that is enough. We are fortunate though, there are family members that have even less. They too have tried some and I wouldn’t mind helping them if we can. However, there are some that mock (not that I care what they think), think the whole preparation plan is ridiculous and then expect to be put up for a few weeks because the hurricane took part of their roof and they had no money saved for emergencies nor anything else. They basically expect to show up at someone’s house empty handed and not contribute because what little they had (they partied and vacationed plenty with their money, while we stayed home and saved) has gone to cover the insurance deductible.

I’m sorry, but I’m not that good a person. Stand by your principles and die by them if you must, just don’t come bothering me after you’ve spent years criticizing and stating how ridiculous it was to have so many cans of corn or any other item you accidentally saw in my second pantry.

Devans0
03-10-2012, 22:55
I became a prepper after a flood. My family was without a home, banks were flooded, so no access to funds, even though we had money. So many people were affected that we were turned away from shelters... No room. The National Guard then wouldn't let us back into the area for weeks after the water subsided, and robbed us of a few possessions that we had left. Did I mention the looters? Houses rewired and re-plumbed by licensed electricians and plumbers whose prices went up to a hundred fifty dollars an hour. Then the pipes and wire were cut out for someone to sell for scrap for dollars on the hundreds of dollars spent.

We have come back better than ever, but do it yourself mentality and self reliance is the reason. Stuff happens, be a good scout and "Be Prepared".

My next home will be largely self sufficient, tornado, earthquake and fire proof/resistant... and on higher ground.

kirgi08
03-10-2012, 22:58
:duel:

Syclone538
03-11-2012, 00:04
I am the short term troll as well,I can last a month,

If you can last a month completely self sufficient then you are a prepper, and would fit in here if you were not trying not to.

WASR10
03-11-2012, 00:12
I haven't seen such ignorant speculation regarding the philosophy of 'prepping' in quite a while.

After years in the ministry field, I have realized: those who don't 'get it', probably never will.

G30Mike
03-11-2012, 00:37
Already has effected me,Massive job cut reduction where i was working and i was part of it.Still alive and doing well.So like i said you all keep spending all that hard earned money or the money you was so gifted as it seems to make you happy.Troll on

Wouldn't be hard for me to survive something like that if I lived with my Mommy and Daddy either. Hopefully they stock up on your diapers for your next power outage. :D

I've just recently gotten into the mindset of being prepared. The only people that know I'm putting things back is my family. Some of them look at me funny for converting a room in my basement as a bug in room. That's fine, don't knock on my door when SHTF. I'm not investing a buttload of money at once, I'm not well off by any means, so I do it a little at a time. A little is better than nothing. At least if something happens my son and I wont be completely screwed.

cowboy1964
03-11-2012, 01:03
http://static.fjcdn.com/comments/Don+t+feed+dem+trolls+_6e538688b06eb0c561a097ec601fde8a.jpg

bdcochran
03-11-2012, 03:50
I picked through the original, jumbled posting to look for the question and have a response.

Everyday, thousands of people die. Their homes are loaded with what most people regard as junk, half done projects, a pile of debt, an incomplete estate plan.

You can call those people preppers, loonies, old folks, spendthrifts, delusional, or your parents. They will include me and OP.

OP - my mentor and I have a continuing debate. He feels that there is only one reality. I believe that there are as many realities as there are people.

In the end, and 100 years from now and no one knows you ever existed, you will have missed opportunities and made some bad decisions. Too bad. However, that is your ultimate reality.

Raiden
03-11-2012, 04:09
The benefits of my purchasing various lifestyle and security preparations is that they almost never go down in value. I've always profited from my preparations, either in comfort, security, or barter. How did I manage to get tens of thousands of dollars worth of supplies and amenities? I started out with hundreds of dollars of supplies, and keep trading up as their value climbs. Ahh, good ol' capitalism! :supergrin:

inzone
03-11-2012, 12:21
What do you think the wealthy and middle class Poles, Jews, and French in Europe were saying regarding prepping and contingency planning in 1939? I bet most of them were talking exactly like you are MoneyMaker!

Contact
03-11-2012, 15:11

I guess the problem you run into is that, like others have said, the preppers you see on TV are about as close to actual preppers as CSI is to real crime scene investigators.

I have never been a hardcore prepper, but when I was first getting into gun ownership, I always made sure that the ammunition I was taking to the range with me, was ammo I was bringing from home. On the way back home from the range, I would stop and buy more ammunition to keep in the closet to replace it. I guess you could call that prepping, but I always just called it "Having a bit more than you need." It never really cost me any more money, because if I kept 500 rounds at home, and took 200 rounds to the range, I stopped off and bought another 200 rounds on the way home. No additional money was spent.

Now that I'm a bit older (and I'd like to think a bit wiser, but some would argue), I keep a few extra cases of water laying around, and I have a freezer in the basement with more food in it than would fit just in my kitchen freezer. We still cook food out of that freezer, but if I'm at the grocery store, and see a good price on something, I can stock up on it a bit because I have the room to keep it in the basement. Is that prepping? Sure, I guess. But I'm not doing it because some 14yr old kid watched Dawn of the Dead and decided to convince the world that it was coming to an end. I did it so that if we ever get financially squeezed for a period of time, I'll have a bit more food on hand than my kitchen fridge will allow. I also did it because if Kroger decides to sell T-Bones for a buck a pound, I'll have plenty on hand the next time we decide to have a BBQ, or when the zombies start gnawing my annoying neighbors brains out.

There's another show out where these southern guys are out there killing alligators the same way they have been for GENERATIONS, but now that a couple of bean counters for the history channel came around and named them "Swamp People," and threw a couple cameras in their faces, everyone wants to throw their opinions out there like they've stumbled upon another holocaust.

People can do something for years and never be looked down upon by other people, but the second the mainstream media gives it a title such as "Prepping," everyone wants to take a side about whether it's right or wrong. Guess what folks, People have been "prepping" before "prepping" even existed!!

MoneyMaker
03-11-2012, 16:12
Well i live in a subdivision with 500 homes and there is 250 homes subdivisions i would say about 15 all within 3 miles of me,Be plenty of preps if i ever need them.

dissthis
03-11-2012, 16:31
Well i live in a subdivision with 500 homes and there is 250 homes subdivisions i would say about 15 all within 3 miles of me,Be plenty of preps if i ever need them.

So you are publicly stating you would take whatever you wanted/needed...realizing of course you would either have to kill someone to take the stuff or it might be a death sentence taking their stuff (leaving them to starve, defenseless etc).

You're a wonderful human being....:upeyes:

G30Mike
03-11-2012, 16:35
Good plan bud!
With that attitude the only prep you're going to acquire is ammunition, via express delivery.
Now...push this button.
http://img.tapatalk.com/4257043d-28af-1466.jpg

inzone
03-11-2012, 16:51
are you scared to answer my question...just a bit earlier in the thread money maker????????

MoneyMaker
03-11-2012, 16:51
Hey atleast i can CCW can you?Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

MoneyMaker
03-11-2012, 16:53
are you scared to answer my question...just a bit earlier in the thread money maker????????

Really never looked to see wrote you even wrote to tell the truth.See none of this overkill make believe crap that gets posted dont really do nothing for me except entertains me when i get bored,So i get to play the role of a TROLL:rofl:

inzone
03-11-2012, 16:54
seriously????? your posts seem to be devolving into utter nonsense, ..???????

MoneyMaker
03-11-2012, 16:56
What do you think the wealthy and middle class Poles, Jews, and French in Europe were saying regarding prepping and contingency planning in 1939? I bet most of them were talking exactly like you are MoneyMaker!

So do you think they had the money to equip thereselves to fight the bombs and artilleray that US ,Germans ect was pounding there country with?

I would say its the same way that the Indian Nation went out,As they was just a surviving culture to begin with and did not have the wealth to save there kind.Myself i am not wealthy nor am i jealous of you guys that piss away your kids college tution,ect. to buy into tall this PREPPING.Myself i will survive as it takes more then prepping and buying all the latest and greatest hi-tech toys to survive!!

inzone
03-11-2012, 16:59
seriously! substance abuse is bad for you! I can see it in how your spelling and typing has deteriorated in just a few posts.

thesurefire
03-11-2012, 17:01

:rofl: This is why I told you if there ever is a event you will die or be miserable.

You realize we have a thread on the front page about using fully automatic weapons to defend ourselves from people like you, who want to steal our possessions, right?

It just makes me laugh when the sheep think they'll come to my house with their rusty .22 and threaten me to steal my stuff. :upeyes:

Try it and see what happens... :whistling:

kirgi08
03-11-2012, 17:03
Just add ta the ignore list.'08.

G30Mike
03-11-2012, 17:05
So do you think they had the money to equip thereselves to fight the bombs and artilleray that US ,Germans ect was pounding there country with?

I would say its the same way that the Indian Nation went out,As they was just a surviving culture to begin with and did not have the wealth to save there kind.Myself i am not wealthy nor am i jealous of you guys that piss away your kids college tution,ect. to buy into tall this PREPPING.Myself i will survive as it takes more then prepping and buying all the latest and greatest hi-tech toys to survive!!

Relying on mammy and pappy is not a substitute for planning ahead kiddo.

MoneyMaker
03-11-2012, 17:09
Relying on mammy and pappy is not a substitute for planning ahead kiddo.
bwahahahahahaaha boy i seen more in my 50 years then you can imagine,like i said i use these forums for enterainment,but you did not answer my question,I can CCW can you?:rofl:

G30Mike
03-11-2012, 17:15
bwahahahahahaaha boy i seen more in my 50 years then you can imagine,like i said i use these forums for enterainment,but you did not answer my question,I can CCW can you?:rofl:

Carrying your airsoft gun is not considered "CCW".
Anyone with half a brain can plainly see that you are not 50 years old. I'm guessing you're about 17-19 with nothing better to do than troll internet forums while your parents are at work. No job, no car, no girlfriend, no balls....:D

MoneyMaker
03-11-2012, 17:20
So i used to duck hunt bob brown and i am good friends with jim woody if that tells you how old i am,goose capitol of the world use to be what???? Yeah Chilocothe/Sumner Missouri

TN.Frank
03-11-2012, 17:29
You DO know that you CAN eat the food you stock even if the World doesn't end, right?
I put back quite a bit of stuff for Y2K, nothing happened so all of 2000 we ate from what we'd put back and our food bills were pretty low for that year. Ditto with guns, ammo, ect. Prices on firearms and ammo have and can only go up so if you end up not needing it you can always sell it at a tidy profit. :supergrin:

MoneyMaker
03-11-2012, 17:37
Never new that,but thanks for the suggestions

wildcat455
03-11-2012, 18:02
Hey moneymaker, I have a question for you if you do not mind.

What makes you think "all of the preps" will be a waste after this year? I mean, I kind of suspect something financial or societal could happen this year, but my preps don't magically EXPIRE or "Go bad" if it doesn't happen this year, nor will I be upset or disappointed if it NEVER happens. If anything, my preps create a really sound base for me and my life. One where I don't worry so much about such things like I used to.

quake
03-11-2012, 18:16
Hey atleast i can CCW can you?Bwhahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
I can CCW. I can legally carry a concealed handgun in church; did today in fact. Fact is, I could legally walk into walmart with an uzi velcro'ed to my forehead if I wanted to. As you say, "can you"...?

I'm not rambo or "the blue knight"; just an old fud who's carried a badge in the area for a long time, own a local business now, am on the board of directors of the local rotary club, sing in various churches in the area, and maintain full law-enforcement credentials thru the sheriff's department still.

My wife and I were in a restaurant for lunch this past Friday & ran into the chief, and he asked me to come by the SO afterward to give him a hand with something. That's one of the benefits of being a known "good guy" in your area. It lets you relax & live your life without worrying about what people think of you. It's a good feeling, and not a bad way to live.

LongGun1
03-11-2012, 20:32
Interesting. I'll never have 10k rounds of ammo.....

Interesting. (I hope) I'll never have (just) 10k rounds of ammo either! :rofl: :supergrin:

Hey...whatever floats your boat.. :whistling:

..some spend their disposable income on tobacco, alcohol, ex-wives & child support..

..some invest to insure they can enjoy their hobby (relatively) inexpensively (case price in storage sure beats running to the nearest sporting goods store & buying it by the box every range session)

..for the rest of their expected life span..

..& their children's children as well.

As far as disposable income...

..I have no doubt that some on this forum have more disposable income per month than others net...or gross.

That being said.....some can buy a few extra boxes a week without feeling a pinch..

..others several cases and an extra gun or two without giving it a second thought!

Besides...copper plated lead is a precious metal portfolio of sorts to some of us! :rofl:

kirgi08
03-11-2012, 20:37
Someday,we broke 50k a while back.'08.

TangoFoxtrot
03-12-2012, 05:10

Very good questions MoneyMaker. I can't speak for others, but how I do it is rotate my food stocks into daily living needs. I have not spend thousands upon thousands on stuff I may or may not use in my life. I also don't think life is a TV drama either. I think the TV prep people are idiots and violate their own op-sec. All I know is anything can happen or not happen. I don't live my life by that nor do I sit up at night and worry about it. BUT! if it does happen I am more prepared than the average citizen and I won't be the citizen going crazy trying to buy the last bit of groceries in the supermarket and getting trampled. I also won't depend on the government to come and protect me or my family. Remember Katrina??:whistling:

MoneyMaker
03-12-2012, 06:59
Never said having extra was bad.I say that buying into this having 50,000 pounds of food,5000 gallons of water,buying and storing 200 gallons of gas each month and rotating it and buying more,buying into this bunker crap,full auto weapons,10,000 to 20,000 rounds of ammo,complete military clothing,kevlar from head to toe with bullet proof plates,ect is just truly a unrealistic approach.Then to come on here to tell everyone what you have and how you will survive and take head shots ect. ect. is just stupid science fiction crap to say the least!!
Anybody dressed up like this walking there rooftops and such will get taken out 1st as folks will know who has the mass storage,Then for them to say they cant touch me just try,Well thats even more ignorant.
They are already posting on the interenet so you think that nobody really knows who and where they are?Even from a smartphone as long as your posting on the interenet you can be found very easy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Carry on Doomsday Preppers

Bilbo Bagins
03-12-2012, 07:20
I think the average prepper is someone who has a little more guns and ammo then most people, a little more camping gear, a little more food and water. Maybe a storage bin or two of extra junk in the house and a thousand or so spent. Like LG1 said, its not more then any other hobby.

Hard Core Survivalist on the other hand, I can see MoneyMakers point. When you get to the point where its a lifestyle, where you are amassing survival crap like a hoarder, when you are skipping family vacations and home repairs to go on Maneuvers and buying an empty wooded lot as a bug out location, that is when its looks less like a hobby and more like a problem or an addiction.

Going bankrupt or lossing your family over S&P is downright stupid.

quake
03-12-2012, 08:04
...I say that buying into this having 50,000 pounds of food,5000 gallons of water,buying and storing 200 gallons of gas each month and rotating it and buying more,buying into this bunker crap,full auto weapons,10,000 to 20,000 rounds of ammo,complete military clothing,kevlar from head to toe with bullet proof plates,ect is just truly a unrealistic approach.
I agree that that's unrealistic. Thing is, I've been a member here for well over a decade, and I honestly don't know of anyone here who does that, or even claims to do that.

Carry on Doomsday Preppers
Once again, "Doomsday Preppers" is a TV show. Would you go to a home-making/cooking forum to tell housewives there how stupid their lifestyle is, based on watching “Desperate Housewives”? Would you go to match.com and bash people there based on what you saw on “The Bachelor”? Hopefully not. Yet you continually bash people here, thinking that what you saw on some idiotic TV show is our reality. It isn’t. Don’t know how else to say it. TV isn't reality; and that's as true of "Doomsday Prepper" TV as any TV.

kirgi08
03-12-2012, 08:07
We have no debt,all we own is paid for.2 homes and right a 55+ acres of land.We take vacations every year,we've seen the world so no need ta go outta country.In this political climate we consider it fool hardy.

As ta preps,ya we got them,bordering on LG1s level.We homeschool/farm/hunt/fish and enjoy the outdoors,we have no "use" for city life.My kids education is paid for no matter what the choices.

As ta "if nothing" happens,the food won't go bad,we will eat as we go or donate it ta a food bank.With most having a 10yr shelf life we should be fine either way.We managed ta can and save rt at 500qts of veggies,we gave away around 200qts,all we asked was the "supplies back.

Prepping is a matter of "rather have/than need".'08.

mgentry
03-12-2012, 08:35
If something bad happens to our country this year or the next, right now, I should be able to take care of my extended family for three months. After the three months, it is really going to get bad if our government has not restore order. So I hope to add chickens for eggs and meat, a garden, and more staples to increase the time my family will be able to survive.

What do I think is going to happen? Our governments monetary policy is going to be our downfall. What do you think would happen if the social security or welfare checks didn't arrive? And imagine if these checks didn't come the next month either? Would our economy collapse? Riots? This is what I worry about.

Most of us already have pistols and rifles, it is food, drinkable water, medicine and shelter that are going to bite us. If there are wide spread riots, will we be able to stay in our homes or will we have to go some place else to be safe? What's that old saying,"Those that fail to plan, plan to fail."

Read the book, "One Second after" to get some ideas on how bad things could get.

But since you think I'm crazy, don't come knocking at my door because you are hungry or afraid.

Good luck - what ever you decide.

TN.Frank
03-12-2012, 08:46
I'm not "over the top" with my Prepping. I've probably a a months worth of food put back for my wife and I and I'm working on putting back a months worth of bottled water. I've got 700 rounds of 38spl loaded up for my 642 and I'm going to work on getting 500 rounds of 45acp put back, maybe a bit more so I can get out and shoot a bit and still have 500 rounds in the can for "emergency" use. I've got a few kerosene lanterns for light if/when the power goes off and a small, two burner propane stove to cook on with some propane put back.
Like I said, I'm not "over the top" but it just gives me a bit of comfort to know that IF something did happen we'd be ok long enough for those of us in the area to group up and figure something out. That's a nice thing about living in a small town/rural, folks tend to pull together in a crisis unlike City folks who tend to get greedy and want to loot stores and kill each other.

kirgi08
03-12-2012, 08:51
Add $20 a week ta food ect and watch how fast it grows.'08.

sebecman
03-12-2012, 09:00
This thread is awesome. Been a while since a troll stopped by and I had a good laugh. Thanks OP..:wavey:

MoneyMaker
03-12-2012, 09:21
See now i have brought out the more intellegent folks,I am not here to bash anyone until they need ti with questions like do i need full auto weapons in my stash for a event that may or may not take place,Or yeah when my kid gets bigger i will put him on the roof with a 22 rifle to draw out bad guys so i can take head shots,Or do i need to buy all this ballistic proof clothing and bullet stoping plates.Or where should i build a underground bunker.
Lots of folks have had underground shelters for many many years,It was used for root cellars and tornado's.Nothing new there,they took precautions to save there family's.But did not spend Thousands upon Thousands to do it.Yes a few guns and spare ammo and enough water and food put back for a month is a very wise choice as you wont go broke doing it,See i buy them can hams,potter meat,veianna dogs in can,can chicken as they have a 4-5 year shelf life,its cheap and i eat it and buy more.Buy Jelly and Peanut Butter as well but it gets eaten.
But will i ever go nutz and worry if i dont have a bunker,or military weapons,clothing and protective clothing that my life will end sooner then yours?Hell no.
How many have really thought about other aspects of natural disaster or so called envasions?I mean First Aid or Life saving techniques you can administer yourselves.Or actual foods and treatments you can get from your surrounding enviroment?To me that is more important then what alot of you have posted and what i see posted about everyday.Carry on

Syclone538
03-12-2012, 10:33
Military gear is a good idea because of people like you who openly admit that you plan to try to steal from people better off then you.

MoneyMaker
03-12-2012, 12:42
Military gear is a good idea because of people like you who openly admit that you plan to try to steal from people better off then you.

Sorry but you will stand out like a bad grape with your military crap,Plus what are you gonna do when you items run out?Will you steal from the less fortunate and helpless?

inzone
03-12-2012, 13:07
Trolls do have some value as they represent all the village idiots out there that we know exist and will be there if the balloon goes up!

Moneymaker, imho, is wrong on just about everything he has said. If you haven't ever been there then respectfully , shut the ***** up moneymaker. Have you ever actually been in a shtf situation? have you ever watched mobs of predator thugs loot,pillage ,rape, torture and brutalize entire families? Well, I have scene some of this and have original source descriptions from many others who have seen and endured worse!

My father helped liberate a Nazi death camp, and also saw the result of many atrocities all through WW II, ..... I saw the place in Korea where the North Koreans/Chinese executed dozens of American pow's, and watched the fall of Saigon and visited the caves in Okinawa where thousands of Japanese, women and children jumped to their deaths because they were essentially told to.... I visited Hiroshima, I was in Miami during the riots, my cousin was a police officer in L.A. in the Rodney King riots and one of my professors way back when was a witness to the Watts riots as well as Kent State, etc.

My landlord's wife from way back showed me her tatoo from Auschwitz and told stories that would make a grown man cry..... my high school French teacher showed the class her false teeth (she was a stunningly beautiful woman even when older) and told us how she had been an agent in the French resistance and the Nazis had caught her and tortured her and knocked out all her teeth among many other things....

I played a small role in the force protection/support effort for the Yom Kippur war, when Israel came close to being overrun by attacking forces which most assuredly would have brutalized, raped, sodomized every Israeli civilian they found , just like the did to the Kuwaitis , if they had not been stopped, in the nick of time.....

As a tourist I visited the Killing Fields/museum in Cambodia,

Is any of this penetrating your pot addled adolescent young mind moneymaker? Maybe there is some derivative value in your coming here and talking to us "demented" preppers...

I am a prepper.....and damn proud of it..... the UPS man knows be my name and I make gourmet coffee for him because he delivers so many crates of ammo to my house..... p.s. HE is a prepper too! So is the deputy Sheriff who lives around the corner... one old man in my neighborhood was a Burma Hump pilot with a DFC to prove it, and he is a prepper, mostly for his grandchildren....

Our neighborhood watch group, and our church we attend are "prepper" friendly! p.s. I have some banknotes from the Weimar Republic, Zimbabwe, and Biafra, ........and I bet moneymaker has no idea what the significance of these places are!!!!

as I said, trolls have value, even if to use for a bad example!

MoneyMaker
03-12-2012, 13:29
So you was how old during this 19 day ordeal???

G30Mike
03-12-2012, 13:58
Will you steal from the less fortunate and helpless?

There's already a thread about that.....
You already said you would be a common thief.....
You will be among the first to expire if something happens, along with all of those who think people who prep are "weird" or "crazy" as you seem to think.
While we are nice and cozy in our "doomsday shelters" eating and drinking, I for one will laugh at the people like you who are running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Better to have and not need......

My other advice to you is learn some spelling and sentence structure, you sound like a 9 year old when you post. My girlfriend's little 12 year old cousin with Down's Syndrome can write better than you.....

Donn57
03-12-2012, 14:34

I understand your jealousy. You want to be able to prep, but don't have the means to do so. Just because you appear to be financially challenged doesn't mean that there are not others who can properly prepare without taking out second mortgages on their home or spending their children's college funds.

My guess is that you're really very fearful of some upcoming catastrophe and are not able to properly prepare, so you deride those who can prepare in order to make yourself feel better.

G30Mike
03-12-2012, 14:56
I understand your jealousy. You want to be able to prep, but don't have the means to do so. Just because you appear to be financially challenged doesn't mean that there are not others who can properly prepare without taking out second mortgages on their home or spending their children's college funds.

My guess is that you're really very fearful of some upcoming catastrophe and are not able to properly prepare, so you deride those who can prepare in order to make yourself feel better.

He could always use his EBT to put food and water away....

UneasyRider
03-12-2012, 15:47

Good observation. I have never met anyone who dismissed prepping as a waste of effort who did not live in fear of the events (and usually not want to acknowledge them) that we prepare for, and preppers who are generally not afraid of the same events happening because, well, we are prepared.

So here is a guy who is living in fear or refusing to acknowledge simple realities of life coming here for a good beating. Sick individual in my opinion.

wjv
03-12-2012, 15:53
Where does one come up with $5000 to prep?Unless you are talking over a 5-10 year time frame.I dont have $5000 let alone $300,000 like others are spending.

Someone with the name of MoneyMaker posting the above. Irony in real life. . .

Sorry you don't have $5,000 to spend. . .

Some of us do. .

MoneyMaker
03-12-2012, 16:09
It was a name of a goose call i used to use in goose calling comps,i used it in duck/goose hunting forums,sorry just didnt feel like making a new name up like preppermadness or something,lol

G30Mike
03-12-2012, 16:13
Its a name that the other kids call me when we play duck duck goose,lol I coodnt just make my name dumass,lol

There, fixed it for ya!

TactiCool
03-12-2012, 17:06

I can personally attest that prepping is not a waste and is something to take seriously, especially for folks who live in hurricane zones like I do. Natural disasters happen all the time. Hurricanes, earthquakes, floods, tornados, etc. affect thousands of lives every year. And sadly, people also lose their lives when these disasters occur. Even worse, the rule of law can break down as well. It is absolute insanity to refute that.

The worst disaster in memory, for me, was Katrina. I had 5 trees on my house and no power for over 3 months. Every single one of my neighbors has at least two generators and some have even more. They are expensive. Chainsaws are also expensive. The amounts of gas needed during a disaster are monumental. Buying all of the necessary batteries, perishable goods, medical supplies, etc. is also very expensive, but doing so saves lives.

Guns are also an absolute necessity as well. During the aftermath of Katrina, I did, in fact, have to present my rifle to man who tried to break down my front door, in order to discourage him. Had I not had my rifle, I don't know if the situation would have turned out so well.

Please sir, try and exercise some common sense instead of slandering people whom you do not even know.

UneasyRider
03-12-2012, 17:13
Someone with the name of MoneyMaker posting the above. Irony in real life. . .

Sorry you don't have $5,000 to spend. . .

Some of us do. .

"Money Maker" is an ass, according to Webster.

MoneyMaker
03-12-2012, 18:37
You guys keep name calling and you will het a time out,You dont see me calling you guys names do you??????????????????????I have my opinion and you have yours thats why we debate and i still say alot of you go beyond the limit to prep and overboard on science fiction movies.

jdavionic
03-12-2012, 18:42
What result were you wanting from this thread? What information did you hope to gather as it pertains your S&P? So far, it appears the intent is to simply insult those that you either disagree with or don't understand.

I wouldn't expect this thread to last long...and perhaps neither will your posting privileges.

quake
03-12-2012, 18:51
You guys keep name calling and you will het a time out,You dont see me calling you guys names do you??????????????????????
You've done more than your share of insulting in this forum in the last few days. In the last day or so you've eased off of it, which I personally am glad to see, and is also why I've made a real effort to not jump on the "bash MoneyMaker" bandwagon.

Civility is rewarded in kind, here as in most places. I believe if you'll avoid the name-calling, exaggerations, etc, it can all be behind us. May take a little time for ripples from all the previous waves to die down, but they'll stop rippling eventually; IF they don't get stirred up again.

G30Mike
03-12-2012, 18:57
You guys keep name calling and you will het a time out,You dont see me calling you guys names do you??????????????????????I have my opinion and you have yours thats why we debate and i still say alot of you go beyond the limit to prep and overboard on science fiction movies.

http://img.tapatalk.com/425704aa-9b5e-91fb.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/425704aa-9caf-472d.jpg

TactiCool
03-12-2012, 19:52
Oh snap, what was I saying about natural disasters?

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/12/us/louisiana-flooding/index.html?eref=rss_latest&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+rss%2Fcnn_latest+%28RSS%3A+Most+Recent%29

tower59
03-12-2012, 20:36
Would like to thank the many here who have helped contribute in a positive way to the forum. Unfortunately, that's not been the case from this thread's initiator. Perhaps a moderator can shut this down so we can spend our time more productively? Thanks, and have a nice evening.

MoneyMaker
03-12-2012, 21:42
Have i broke any rules?Dont think so,Am i crying about it?Nope. I stated my opinions about certain far fetched issues and some seem it is a very big way of life and things they think they need,Well i just dont see its needed.Dont like it,dont read it i suppose,but always thought there can be a different thought to each persons mind,Sometimes on forums i think you have to be part of the crowd or they jsut wanna send you down the road,I presume i coud make up alot of fictacious stuff and events to sound really cool and hope to get in the crowd,But no thanks thats not me.

G30Mike
03-12-2012, 22:03
Have i broke any rules?Dont think so,Am i crying about it?Nope. I stated my opinions about certain far fetched issues and some seem it is a very big way of life and things they think they need,Well i just dont see its needed.Dont like it,dont read it i suppose,but always thought there can be a different thought to each persons mind,Sometimes on forums i think you have to be part of the crowd or they jsut wanna send you down the road,I presume i coud make up alot of fictacious stuff and events to sound really cool and hope to get in the crowd,But no thanks thats not me.

So then go down the road....:wavey:

sebecman
03-13-2012, 06:46
Page four and the laughs continue!!...:rofl:

quake
03-13-2012, 06:52
MoneyMaker - Fwiw, mainly a reiteration/rewording of my post above.

I suspect that if you'd admit to having been initially confrontational and insulting, even if unintentionally so, it might be a great step toward toning down the hostility. You've been less confrontational/hostile/insulting in the last day or so, and I for one appreciate it.

Not to drag this out, but the fact is that it wasn't "stating different opinions" that sparked the hostile responses. It was the insults and hostility you brought with you and dumped here. (And yes, they were there; pretending/claiming otherwise now doesn't help.) Hostility toward prepping, in a prepping forum. You do see how that is almost certain to be taken offense to..?

Again, most anyone is welcome here, regardless of opinion. We have nutjobs on both ends of the political spectrum, eco-vegan type preppers and Randy Weaver-type preppers. There's young, old, city, country, and I'd bet homosexual as well as heterosexual. Prepping is no "respecter of persons" as the saying goes; everybody (gay, straight, city, country, island dweller, desert dweller, young and old) faces issues that would be well-served by some level, and some type, of preparation, or "prepping".

Anyone civil is actually welcomed here pretty much openly.

kirgi08
03-13-2012, 08:13
Quake,he is trolling.'08.

quake
03-13-2012, 08:26
Likely, possibly, maybe even probably; I know. I just like to give every chance possible for rational interaction, until there's absolutely no denying that the person simply wants otherwise.

Worth a shot, and may (however likely or unlikely) have positive results; even if it's just with someone not actively participating in the discussion right now, but just lurking & seeing how we "prepper freaks" treat people.

One of those "I have a dream" things on my part, I guess. :dunno:

kirgi08
03-13-2012, 08:39
I respect your opinion,I however disagree with it.I've been here since 07,I have less the 10 folk on my "ignore" list.That poster is mocking our/my families way of life and being rude about it.

I'm an easy going guy and have found out that If I disagree with folk I say my peace and go on.Getting laughed at and scorned for my beliefs is kinda irritating.I minded my manners and just added him ta the list.'08.

sebecman
03-13-2012, 09:39
Kirgi I agree. I just choose to laugh at it...not worth it.

Quake you have more good will in you then most.

I do love the sheer irony of a "moneymaker" with less then 5K...

anyway back to the show....:cool:

UneasyRider
03-13-2012, 10:33
Every time that I get the "Preppers?????" email that there has been a new post on this thread I hear the voice of Jim Mora saying "Playoffs?"

rotjovi
03-13-2012, 22:03
So when, a "Village Idiot" like this trolls on this forum, how does one "Ignore" the "Idiot"? Moneymaker, who seems to have no money or brains, will probably be banned anyway. If not, where's the magic button??

Devans0
03-13-2012, 23:15
This is a good thread. A lot of folks are saying why and how they prep. OP's original argument included prepping being a waste of money. I have found just the opposite.

Stocking on items during sale times builds stores to draw on in expensive times. During the recession, I had a lot of work done to make my home better, at a fraction of what it would cost in expansive times, and the work was sorely appreciated by the workers, too. Imagine if I bid out the same jobs when everyone is inundated with too much work.. Be a buyer when everyone is selling and a seller when everyone is buying.

Buying food stocks in season is cheap, buying out of season... you get the drift, and know why prepping saves money, if done right.

wjv
03-13-2012, 23:41
I respect your opinion,I however disagree with it.I've been here since 07,I have less the 10 folk on my "ignore" list.That poster is mocking our/my families way of life and being rude about it.

Kirgi,

I agree.

When some one comes here and their first post basically says:

"Hey all you stupid moron preppers, you guys are all idiots. . ." I tend to see no need to respond in a friendly manner. . .

Syclone538
03-13-2012, 23:51
Click on his name, then user list, then ignore user. It will ask you if you are sure.

SK2344
03-14-2012, 00:35
First off try and use paragraphs, or at least some sort of line break.

Think about this, all of these events WILL HAPPEN at some time.
enormous asteroid impact
super flu that's highly contagious and lethal
massive earthquake in the new madrid fault
super volcano eruption

While none of us will likely see any of those events in our lifetime, likely isnt a strong enough premise for me to say "well whatever then"

Do you have car or medical insurance? You probably wont be in a car wreck and you probably wont need medical care....

Do you think obese smokers live shorter lives because God doesn't like them? I think they die young because they dont take care of themselves. Your fate is in your control weather you like it or not.

Maybe you should consider that you could do something about it, but actively choose not to.

I will, because like shooting, weight lifting, and fine dining, prepping is one of the things I enjoy spending my time and money on. I have a friend that enjoys expensive whiskey, as in 300+ dollars a bottle. Would you argue with him for that?

If you see how the world can change and refuse to do anything about preparing for that change, fine, but at least think about this:

If nothing ever happens you and I will be both be sitting in the comfort of our climate controlled homes, which are full of food and beer, happy. :whistling:

I'm sorry to upset you but if the world comes to an end as you mention, then you both will no longer exist! I don't know what the fuss is all about. Just live and be happy and if the World Ends, you will die a happy man, Right!

jdavionic
03-14-2012, 03:31
Would like to thank the many here who have helped contribute in a positive way to the forum. Unfortunately, that's not been the case from this thread's initiator. Perhaps a moderator can shut this down so we can spend our time more productively? Thanks, and have a nice evening.

Yea, I'm a little surprise the moderators have chosen to allow this type of activity. You don't have to go far in the posting rules to see that the OP violates them. Heck, "no flame wars" seems to jump off the page. This thread was started with the intent of spawning a flame war and the numerous replies back & forth have demonstrated that to be the case.

Oh well, the 'ignore' function works pretty well.

MoneyMaker
03-14-2012, 05:32
Anbody digging Spider Holes this weekend??

quake
03-14-2012, 06:42

No; thinking about floating the Buffalo or Spring river though. Last fighting position I dug was 30 years ago in the infantry. Don't think I'll be needing one this weekend.

Feel free to dig holes in your yard if you enjoy doing so. That's one of the nice things about being a free man in a free society - it shouldn't matter to you what anyone else thinks of your activities as long as you don't harm or impact others.

Have a nice weekend with that if you really do enjoy it. Most of us here will be otherwise occupied, with simply enjoying our families & other non-fantasy activities.

racerford
03-14-2012, 09:52

Be sure to call the "dig line" before digging. You don't want a nasty surprise by hitting a electric cable or sewer line.

kirgi08
03-14-2012, 09:56
We've got the trenches installed,why mess around.'08. :dunno:

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-14-2012, 11:08
Since I have been prepping for decades, no spider holes needed. My entire AO is ringed with 2 man improved fighting positions, all linked by tunnels, with inter connecting fields of fire. And yes, I have grenade sumps and ammo dumps.

quake
03-14-2012, 11:12
Since I have been prepping for decades, no spider holes needed. My entire AO is ringed with 2 man improved fighting positions, all linked by tunnels, with inter connecting fields of fire. And yes, I have grenade sumps and ammo dumps.

Well, yeah. I just thought that went without saying as standard operating procedure. :tongueout:

(And no, moneymaker, we're not serious.)

(As far as you know... ;) )

MoneyMaker
03-14-2012, 11:40
We've got the trenches installed,why mess around.'08. :dunno:
thought i was added to the IGNORE LIST:rofl:

G30Mike
03-14-2012, 11:42

Nope, but I only have 50 feet left on my second 200 foot guard tower, probably finish that up. Then to install the motion sensing machine gun bunkers and I should be almost done with defenses. Oh, and does anyone know where to get cheap moat alligators?

sebecman
03-14-2012, 12:25
thought i was added to the IGNORE LIST:rofl:

If he has you on his ignore list he can't see your posts until someone quotes them. Racerford and Quake both quoted your spider hole comment before Kirgi's post.

Personally I don't use ignore lists. As Quake pointed out, sometimes even juvenile trolls have something to offer.

thesurefire
03-14-2012, 13:04
I'm sorry to upset you but if the world comes to an end as you mention, then you both will no longer exist! I don't know what the fuss is all about. Just live and be happy and if the World Ends, you will die a happy man, Right!

Perhaps, but then again even if there is a extinction level event, some may survive. The massive impact that was thought to kill off the dinosaurs didnt end all life on earth, just some of it.

I just try to make the most of any situation.

I think of prepping like studying for a test, even if you dont study, you get to take the test, the result just wont be as ideal as if you saw the writing on the wall (or a blackboard) and did something about it.

wildcat455
03-14-2012, 14:06
Oh, and does anyone know where to get cheap moat alligators?

Florida? LOL!

TN.Frank
03-14-2012, 14:37

No man but I'm really diggin' that shirt you got on, way cool man. LOL.:rofl::supergrin:

IV Troop
03-14-2012, 14:41
In regards to the OP,

Reading the drivel, written by this clown with his obvious self inflated ego and air of (again)self appointed intellectual superiority has been interesting to say the least.

He has done nothing but come here to stroke his own silly little narcissistic ego, to feel good about himself. He has no interest in any of your answers. Even his name is narcissistic. His condescending attitude reveals all I need to know about him.

Personally, after years of living and working in third world countries and having a front row seat to a civil war, not to mention one or two natural distasters through the years, I think having some supplies on hand for the family is only prudent. If`only to get the family by during a disruption in services during a major event.

IV

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-14-2012, 15:12
Oh, and does anyone know where to get cheap moat alligators?

ALLIGATORS!!??

I got sharks with fricken' lazers on their heads!!

:tongueout:

G30Mike
03-14-2012, 15:34
ALLIGATORS!!??

I got sharks with fricken' lazers on their heads!!

:tongueout:

I didn't want to go to the extra expense of maintaining a salt water moat. The Velociraptors within the confines of the perimeter should take care of any stragglers that get beyond the moat.
The UN troops can't take my Velociraptors. Good luck trying, I can't call them off.

kimo
03-14-2012, 15:38
Mine is protected with attack mambas.... high grass....quiet...deadly

kimo
03-14-2012, 15:39
Oh yeah, and lots of brown recluse spiders....that'll get em

Im Dr Cheeks
03-14-2012, 22:58
It sounds like someone is trying to justify a lack of preparation. I won't accept the lack of basic necessities under ANY circumstances. To plan for the unexpected, you've got to think the unexpected.

mdsn969
03-15-2012, 13:39
This is a fascinating discussion (obvious trolling aside). We made the conscious decision to only prepare for short term natural disasters i.e., duration of less than a month. In a true shtf scenario you can have it...

eracer
03-15-2012, 13:53
Wife Swap episode on last night. Dirt-poor family, wife is an ice-cream sandwich deposit box, dad can barely form a cohesive sentence. Obsessed with all the December 21, 2012 internet info they can find.

Their 'plan' is to have 1950's gas masks for everyone (where's the water?), canned apples that will last a week (where's the water?) and a 62" LCD TV that they don't have to make payments on until January, 2013 (HAHA, how will they collect if they're not around?!)

Good lord, if you're going to prep, at least don't be a complete retard about it.:rofl:

HKLovingIT
03-15-2012, 14:18
i don't think you have to spend a ton of money at once. In my case I just look at where I live and my most likely scenarios. For me that would be blizzard with no road travel for up to a week, an occasional flood with limited travel and water advisory of the same duration or probably the worst would be ice storm that knocks out power for a few weeks.

I "prep" around that and have for awhile. Seems dumb not to. So that means, food, water, toilet paper, alternative heat/cooking sources, fuel and power. I would also like to get food and water to 90 days just as a general rule of thumb. I'm good with that level of prep. I've just been buying some extra at the store and setting it aside each trip and I would like to add some longer term storage of dry goods/food.

My grandparents always canned things and stored dry goods. They grew up in a time and place when you couldn't just go to the Giant or El Wal-Mart and get whatever, whenever. That wasn't all that long ago. It wasn't called prepping then, it was just how people lived.

I really can't see where having 90 days of rotating food stock on hand and some home canned things from the garden is crazy. When the main heat is knocked out for a week my kero heaters and sleeping bags sure are nice. I also don't think having a good first aid kit for home, travel, hiking and camping is bad. Would seem my state's emergency management agency agrees with me.

A lot of people here have wood stoves and kero heaters in addition to the primary heat source for the home. Are they preppers? Are they crazy people? Hardly. They are smart. The crazy people are the ones who try to drive to Lowes for a generator and kero heater after an ice storm knocks out the power. Bet they'll be more prepared next winter eh? Me, I just sit at home with the kids and make hot cocoa from my crazy prepper stash. :rofl:

If someone chooses to invest their money in something more elaborate it's really not my place to bad mouth what they think is right for them. Maybe they have good reason. Maybe I can learn something from them. Don't be so closed minded. I do agree that one should not mortage a house or rack up credit cards. I think you can 90 day "prep" by devoting a little extra in the grocery and household budget each month. After that your needs and MMV. :wavey:

kirgi08
03-15-2012, 14:24
$20 a week.'08.

BamaTrooper
03-15-2012, 15:03
Where does one come up with $5000 to prep?Unless you are talking over a 5-10 year time frame.I dont have $5000 let alone $300,000 like others are spending.No way would i take out a 2nd Loan on my house to go in debt for someting goofy as the world will end scenario crap.But you 2 failed to answer the Question of do you think we will have such a issue this year that all your prepping and undeground bunkers and bugout spots will pan out?And getting flamed?Geez who cares it is a crazy almost unrealistic subject anyway.Flame on.And yes i would take my neighbors food as they are about 450 pounds and always have plenty so why do i need to spend money i dont have,hahahahahahahahahaha

Seems like you are setting yourself up to have problems. ETA_ not even on a prepping issue, just emergency issues.

quake
03-15-2012, 15:58
$20 a week.'08.

Warning – soapbox alert… :supergrin:

Major +1 to that $20 (or whatever number) per week approach. I asked my wife yesterday what she spends on any given Wednesday night, when she makes dinner for usually 40-45 teenagers at our church. She said that on average, it runs $85 to $110; or average of $2.25 or so per person. And this isn’t “beans & rice” subsistence type eating (these are American teenagers after all); the main course will be any of a dozen things – homemade lasagna (including the meat), manicotti, spaghetti, grilled chicken or burgers, meatloaf, homemade pizza, and I’m sure others I’m not thinking of right now. She’ll also have some sides with it. Example – last night was southwest-style chicken, green beans with garlic, brown sugar & butter, macaroni & cheese (homemade, not the boxed stuff), and yeast rolls. All that, for 48 people last night - 42 teenagers, six adults - with enough left to call for anyone wanting seconds and still putting some in the fridge for a couple guys to have for lunch today; for 98 dollars total.

My point is just that Kirgi’s “$20 a week” is so much more powerful than a lot of folks realize. If my wife had to, she could do a mujaddrah, seasoned lentils-&-rice dish, or a good spaghetti dish, along with probably one side dish (rather than the three she currently does) for probably half of what she’s currently spending. Put another way, about a dollar a meal to eat better than half the world does now. So putting back, especially in bulk form, that $20 a week in food stores can very easily translate to anywhere from ten to twenty meals. And twenty or so meals is about all a person eats in a week, right? Weird – feeding yourself for $20 a week is doable, even nowadays. Very tight, don’t get me wrong – but doable. Up that to $30 a week, and you can eat VERY well if planning is done ahead of time. I’m not claiming that we only spend that now, but we’re closer than might be thought, and know without doubt that it’s achievable. Fwiw, it’s not just theory either - our breakfast is often simple thermos-cooked hot cereal (cracked wheat with either cinnamon and brown sugar, or with butter and white sugar) and costs less than 40 cents apiece; or ~$5.25 total per week, for breakfast for both of us, or about $2.65 apiece, for a week’s worth of breakfasts per person.

Don’t mean to ramble & pontificate without provocation (:embarassed:), just one of my personal soapbox issues that I wish more of the population would spend time considering. When Dave Ramsey talks about the “beans & rice, rice & beans” thing, there’s a very good reason. If a person truly stuck to that for two meals a day, they could feed a family of four for around $40-$50 dollars a week, even at today’s prices. I don’t expect everybody to run out & start doing literally that (I know I’m not going to), but it demonstrates that it’s easy & relatively inexpensive for most anyone nowadays to put back some level of emergency stores. Doesn’t take your life savings or a second mortgage, just a little will & discipline.

{edit because I was wrong about what kind of chicken they had last night... ;) }

sebecman
03-15-2012, 18:35
Don’t mean to ramble & pontificate without provocation
Quake's post is a prime example of how a troll's post can still be meaningful. You sir have once again proven that there is good to be found in all of us. If I lived in Arkansas I would insist that we meet for a burger an fries...as it is, that will never happen but regardless of that fact, my hat off to you.

:wavey:

PS - I am sorry for calling you out a few months ago.

inzone
03-15-2012, 18:56
i ate rice and beans when i was young because we were poor, now i eat them almost evry day because they are good for my heart....i can afford steak, but hey, not as healthy, and my wife an i lose weight, stay healthy, and we save a ton of money in a year...my wife is almost a vegetarian.... it does have many advantages....

callihan_44
03-16-2012, 11:21
there is nothing wrong stocking up on stuff, you never know what will happen....winter-ice=no power, sometimes for a week. Spring = tornados-thundstorms... I do the usual stock-rotate restock...plus the nearest town is 20 miles from where I live

quake
03-17-2012, 13:53
...PS - I am sorry for calling you out a few months ago.

No worries - honestly don't recall it. Not that I'm that forgiving or nice; I'm just that simple & don't fret a lot of things... :wavey:

cowboy1964
03-19-2012, 14:23
Moneymaker, please read this before making one more posting:

http://writingcenter.unc.edu/resources/handouts-demos/writing-the-paper/paragraphs

If the problem is that your Enter key is broken you can get a new keyboard at Best Buy or Buy More for under ten bucks.

:wavey:

Protus
03-20-2012, 05:51
the people ( preppers) that are into this because of fear,profit or popularity. Will be the same ones that in y2k had their food,gear and gensets for sale in march.

Being a survivalist is a lifestyle. It is not something that can be purchased or learned over a weekend. It takes YEARs and over that time frame the cost will add up.
Its not just about gear , guns and toys either.

If i was to add up all i have spent and totaled up what i have spent it would blow some folks minds..hell even my own more than likely(becoming debt free cost $$ LOL ). And all the internet list mongers would have a hard one for the 10 page pdf inventory.
But then again i started seriously putting stuff up around 03'..

This whole ride takes time....it aint a easy fix or any quick way to it. People that toss money at it, are doing just that.

JackMac
03-20-2012, 16:16
If you haven't prepped over time, you've a heck of a job to try to do it now, unless you've a lot of money to spend. Most folks did it over time in the event of power outages, weather events and such. Best thing you can do now is hope you don't need help. Oh yeah? I'm from the government and here to help....FEMA arrives and it is likely too late. Best prepare to fend for yourself even if it is just buying a few extras at the grocery store each week and having a dozen or so cases of bottled water at hand. If nothing happens, use the food you've stored and replace it as you consume it. Keep you mouth shut or you will likely be feeding the neighborhood.
Store some extra ammo for your equipment and if you don't need it, have fun with it. Make do with what you have and be smart about it. You're neighbor may not be so nice if they have no food and you have plenty. In other words, neighbors may do you in and take your stuff, your wife and kids. Be Prepared...be cautious...do not trust anybody. The Red Cross has great materials on how to prepare for bad events, food, water, first aid and such. You should look at their website...good place to begin.

DrSticky
03-21-2012, 11:07
Prepping <> Hoarding

These new TV shows(like most TV) are sensationalist drivel. Should I presume that everyone I see on TV from your city/town/country is like you? In my world the news is dominated by those who are not our best and our brightest. People being normal does not get ratings.

What I do like about these TV shows, is that they are helpful in starting discussions with my wife and friends. The other day we had a pretty good discussion on methods of evacuation from our home in a fire. That prepping didn't cost $5000, it just cost my time. (Which does have an opportunity cost, but so far it isn't $5000/hr)

NecoDude
03-21-2012, 13:54
I'll admit I watch Preppers for entertainment purposes only. It has had a benefit in my household as like DrSticky states it did help with spousal communications. She's now more on board with preparations beyond FEMA recommendations. So for that I'm thankful for the show.

I get my preparation details from many sources, pick what works for me, what I can afford and makes sense for the possible events that are likely to occur in my AO. I know for a fact that people just a 100 miles west of me would prepare for slightly different events.

The OP didn't intend for this to be a helpful thread but I've gleaned a few helpful tidbits from the open discussions.

inzone
03-21-2012, 18:57
study the utopian as well as the dystopian.....study the hollywood perceptions and the general public as well as the fringes and middle of the bell curve....study the lay data as well as the professional data and be wise as serpents and harmless as doves until its time to do otherwise....I think I learn from almost everything i read/watch/discuss.... even when I learn how idiotic the sheeple are or how distorted government views things.... even bad and inaccurate data is useful if you step back and think about it!

Crazy KD
03-21-2012, 20:16
actually, from a purely financial aspect prepping is also very smart......I bought 4 in the box Russian SKS's brand new about 25 years ago for I believe about 149 dollars apiece....I could easily sell all four of them today for about 380 bucks or so, maybe even a little more at some of the long line gunshows in my AO....a far better return that the DOW jones average, especially after the crash...... I bought several cases of Chinese 7.62 39 for the obscenely dirt cheap price of about 50 bucks a case if memory serves me.....well today this is almost impossible to get premium ammo (not sure why) and it is five times that amount..... great investment, I have them in my possession, inflation hedge, they aint paper/fiat.....and I can actually use them to defend my family and arm my family,. I can shoot them for fun and training, etc etc.....

what is the downside here in re the OP??????

Financials have no impact on my decision on what to build up / store. Actually if you look at the Dow at it's highest point in 1987 it was somewhere around 2700. Today it closed at around 13000. Almost 5x.. As other people have mentioned I generally purchase larger quantities of items and simply consume them over a period of time. Is this prepping or simply buying in bulk? You can do this gradually and it doesn't cost you an arm and a leg.

inzone
03-22-2012, 06:33
Today the DOW may be at 5x...but where will it be in ten years? You have to take profits and diversify them as you go, and what I have done is take profits by selling stock and putting it in tangibles and commodities. Church,charity,land,tools,weapons,ammo,food,etc. and my children of course! Are you really sure the wide DOW index funds are up x5? maybe you are right but I dont know anybody in the market today who is up X5 personally.... neighbor is a stock expert and even he says he is still down about 30% from the mini crash, I suppose from the 1980's he may be up X3 or X4 but then you also have to deduct capital gains and other transactions costs and remember, when you sell your stock, even after you pay capital gains tax, etc. then you have to redeem it in fiat dollars which have lost how much value since the 1980's? I guess the age old lesson is don't put all your eggs in one basket, take profits regularly, dont get greedy and keep an eye on taxes, inflation an our thieving conniving government! God Bless!

ICARRY2
03-22-2012, 14:15
Appearantly, "moneymaker" isnt making much money if it will take him a lifetime to come up with $5000 over a lifetime.

BTW, good luck taking other people food.

syntaxerrorsix
03-22-2012, 15:23
Warning – soapbox alert… :supergrin:

Major +1 to that $20 (or whatever number) per week approach. I asked my wife yesterday what she spends on any given Wednesday night, when she makes dinner for usually 40-45 teenagers at our church. She said that on average, it runs $85 to $110; or average of $2.25 or so per person. And this isn’t “beans & rice” subsistence type eating (these are American teenagers after all); the main course will be any of a dozen things – homemade lasagna (including the meat), manicotti, spaghetti, grilled chicken or burgers, meatloaf, homemade pizza, and I’m sure others I’m not thinking of right now. She’ll also have some sides with it. Example – last night was southwest-style chicken, green beans with garlic, brown sugar & butter, macaroni & cheese (homemade, not the boxed stuff), and yeast rolls. All that, for 48 people last night - 42 teenagers, six adults - with enough left to call for anyone wanting seconds and still putting some in the fridge for a couple guys to have for lunch today; for 98 dollars total.

My point is just that Kirgi’s “$20 a week” is so much more powerful than a lot of folks realize. If my wife had to, she could do a mujaddrah, seasoned lentils-&-rice dish, or a good spaghetti dish, along with probably one side dish (rather than the three she currently does) for probably half of what she’s currently spending. Put another way, about a dollar a meal to eat better than half the world does now. So putting back, especially in bulk form, that $20 a week in food stores can very easily translate to anywhere from ten to twenty meals. And twenty or so meals is about all a person eats in a week, right? Weird – feeding yourself for $20 a week is doable, even nowadays. Very tight, don’t get me wrong – but doable. Up that to $30 a week, and you can eat VERY well if planning is done ahead of time. I’m not claiming that we only spend that now, but we’re closer than might be thought, and know without doubt that it’s achievable. Fwiw, it’s not just theory either - our breakfast is often simple thermos-cooked hot cereal (cracked wheat with either cinnamon and brown sugar, or with butter and white sugar) and costs less than 40 cents apiece; or ~$5.25 total per week, for breakfast for both of us, or about $2.65 apiece, for a week’s worth of breakfasts per person.

Don’t mean to ramble & pontificate without provocation (:embarassed:), just one of my personal soapbox issues that I wish more of the population would spend time considering. When Dave Ramsey talks about the “beans & rice, rice & beans” thing, there’s a very good reason. If a person truly stuck to that for two meals a day, they could feed a family of four for around $40-$50 dollars a week, even at today’s prices. I don’t expect everybody to run out & start doing literally that (I know I’m not going to), but it demonstrates that it’s easy & relatively inexpensive for most anyone nowadays to put back some level of emergency stores. Doesn’t take your life savings or a second mortgage, just a little will & discipline.

{edit because I was wrong about what kind of chicken they had last night... ;) }

Very well said.

Skip the processed foods and work solely with "ingredients".
Learn to cook, can, bake, dehydrate what have you. Very easy to accumulate a long lasting supply of food.

Just like a solid FAK you need the knowledge to use it as well as having it on hand.

sebecman
03-23-2012, 06:35
Very well said.

Skip the processed foods and work solely with "ingredients".

Being prepared is about covering the bases...processed foods have their place to. Quick/Easy, require little or no heat(read fuel) and are highly portable.

syntaxerrorsix
03-23-2012, 06:42
Being prepared is about covering the bases...processed foods have their place to. Quick/Easy, require little or no heat(read fuel) and are highly portable.
That's not exactly the spirit of the conversation but I hear you.

I was speaking more along the lines of no frozen food entrees, pizza and the like.

sebecman
03-23-2012, 06:45
Oh - sorry I missed that.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-23-2012, 07:04
I gots frozen pizza. I am going to eat it FIRST when the SHTF.. good case of indegestion will keep me awake and alert for 3-4 days.. By then I will be out of pizza, and can start on the MRE's so I don't have to take any "breaks" from the chaos for a week or so...

Real preppers have a plan.

UneasyRider
03-23-2012, 08:01
I gots frozen pizza. I am going to eat it FIRST when the SHTF.. good case of indegestion will keep me awake and alert for 3-4 days.. By then I will be out of pizza, and can start on the MRE's so I don't have to take any "breaks" from the chaos for a week or so...

That's what I am talking about! While the unprepared run amok in the streets we relax eating our frozen foods until people get a fuller appreciation for the situation at hand, then we can help organize the willing to survive together.

syntaxerrorsix
03-23-2012, 08:10

The point of the reply which was apparently lost on a lot of folks is that if you stay away from the processed foods and buy ingredients $20 dollars worth of food can go a long way.

This is what Quake and his wife have demonstrated and the reply was directed towards those efforts.

Real preppers have a plan but the good ones know that reading is fundamental :wavey:

sebecman
03-23-2012, 09:06
Real preppers have a plan but the good ones know that reading is fundamental :wavey:

Exactly. If you re-read SFCSMITH(RET)'s post you will see that he was having fun, not being serious. :wavey:

syntaxerrorsix
03-23-2012, 09:13
Exactly. If you re-read SFCSMITH(RET)'s post you will see that he was having fun, not being serious. :wavey:

Oh - sorry I missed that.

:supergrin:

sebecman
03-23-2012, 09:56
:cool:

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-23-2012, 11:31
No, I am serious. I have pizza AND MRE's.

And a plan.

But I may have realized a needed modification to my plan.. I will feed the MREs to the sharks.. 'cause you know a constipated black tip reef shark with a laser on his head would be one bad mother.. easily trumping black mambas and brown recluses..

(and, I am going to let that reading comprehension crack go... for now...)

Edited to add.. Where is the OP?? This thread suddenly took a serious turn, and darn it Jim, I didn't need that this week.

Come on, MoneyMaker.. talk some doodoo so someone will quote you so I can laugh..

syntaxerrorsix
03-23-2012, 18:26
No, I am serious. I have pizza AND MRE's.

And a plan.

But I may have realized a needed modification to my plan.. I will feed the MREs to the sharks.. 'cause you know a constipated black tip reef shark with a laser on his head would be one bad mother.. easily trumping black mambas and brown recluses..

(and, I am going to let that reading comprehension crack go... for now...)

Edited to add.. Where is the OP?? This thread suddenly took a serious turn, and darn it Jim, I didn't need that this week.

Come on, MoneyMaker.. talk some doodoo so someone will quote you so I can laugh..

That's it were screwed.

https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQxSQXGluUUhBLLlTtzGe76AFUvupc08GfsJflZj8vo7KXIxJEBiw

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 07:05
I talk prepping with a friend of mine nearly nightly. We have come to realize that it takes many different levels and, as truck drivers who often run waaaaaaaaaaay out in the puckerbrush where help might not come for hours, we already prep--not for the end of the world, but for survival at a certain level. SO we take that thinking and simply apply it to different scenarios and time-frames.

I can't necessarily afford to prep for, say, a year with absolutely zero economy with what cash reserves I have right now, but I CAN and have started working on EDC stuff--things that get me home no matter the situation. In the winter that's proper clothes, firestarting, rudimentary shelter-building to carry such as light small tarp and paracord, etc.. I can walk out from a long way away and get home. In the event of a crash I carry a seatbelt cutter/window breaker tool around my neck. I have a kubaton in my pocket and a blade for less-lethal stuff when I'm in and out of terminals in town at night. I have three different ways to start a fire on me or in my cab. I have several days' clothing and a backpack, water, a full day's food, etc.. EDC gets me home to shelter and longer-term gear.

Prepping isn't just about THE end, it can be about YOUR end. For me as a pro driver that deals as much with accidents, weather, and dealing with robbery/hijack as any other scenario.

I like FERFAL Aguirre's take on things. His experience in Argentina has been much more in living with a certain level of long-term social unrest. In his experience you're much better off with, say a Kel-Tec PF-9 and a knife-proof vest than with a full tactical loadout and a pickup full of black guns. But if you can afford to prep for it all, hey, go for it! But it doesn't have to be only one view of things, or one scenario, or one philosophy or methodology to achieve the tactical goals you set for yourself.

It's much less about money and much more about the smart and smaller matters IMO. For instance, for what I paid for dinner for myself and Mrs. Mule at the local chinese restaurant I could have been well on the way to building a 150 gal. water storage system in my garage. Probably three meals out could have easily covered it, if not two. Add that to knowing where the rest of your water already is or can be within in minutes in your home and you're well on the way to a short-term (or better--probably three months' water for two people in our house if I built that) solution to water issues in the event of a water problem in your community.

It doesn't have to be elaborate, complicated, or expensive--or conspiratorial, either. Just prudent.

kirgi08
03-27-2012, 11:06
Kiss...... .'08.

fletch_man
03-29-2012, 09:57

Double M, You are either a Foreigner or you pulled straight Fs in school. Pay attention to your spelling and grammar. Christ, you sound like Tonto or maybe Tarzan. While we're holed up during the apocalypse we'll know if it's you trying to gain entrance to the silo when we hear "Hey, you open, I want come in, Hey!!!"

Deputydave
03-29-2012, 11:20
I guess I don't understand why some folks would scoff at being prepared. It is a Boy Scout motto and just simple wisdon in general. Yes, you'll have some that are concerned about zombies and the end of the world and such. But there are also more realistic concerns such as hurricanes, floods, earthquakes, wild fires, tornadoes, civil unrest etc.

Bottom line is having a plan in place that will benefit you under situations of duress. Have an evacuation plan out of your house in the event of a fire. Have a plan (and training) if someone breaks into your house. Have a plan (and training) is someone is having a heart attack or is choking. Have a plan if you break down on the side of the road. And of course, have a plan if you need to evacuate to a different area due to weather or whatever.

An ounce of prevention beats a pound of "Oh crap, what do I do now!?!"

inzone
03-30-2012, 05:27
do you feel sick? expecting to die soon? then why do you pay money for life insurance? fire/health/auto/flood/disability?

UneasyRider
03-30-2012, 07:09
do you feel sick? expecting to die soon? then why do you pay money for life insurance? fire/health/auto/flood/disability?

With Obama Life Insurance there are no unfair exclusions for age or illness so you don't need to buy it until you reach the end. Yes with single payer life we all pay the rate for the same benefits, it's only fair.

SFCSMITH(RET)
03-30-2012, 07:50
Life insurance is not quite the right answer..

I prefer: Seatbelt? Motorcycle helmet? Chainsaw chaps? Condom?

Not one of those, which I use, or used, regularly, has saved my life that I know of. Yet, I continue to use them. (after 30 years of being married, I gave up on the condoms a while back, figured I was in it for the long haul, and willing to risk it with her..)

OK, the MC helmet probably DID save my life once. But I always wore one before, and still do.

UneasyRider
03-30-2012, 09:11
Life insurance is not quite the right answer..

I prefer: Seatbelt? Motorcycle helmet? Chainsaw chaps? Condom?

Not one of those, which I use, or used, regularly, has saved my life that I know of. Yet, I continue to use them. (after 30 years of being married, I gave up on the condoms a while back, figured I was in it for the long haul, and willing to risk it with her..)

OK, the MC helmet probably DID save my life once. But I always wore one before, and still do.

Helmet saved my life at 18! We have since ridden to 42 states and 4 provinces from Florida.

Seatbelt saved my life (again at 18).

Too many more, why am I still alive?

quake
03-30-2012, 14:16
Helmet saved my life at 18! We have since ridden to 42 states and 4 provinces from Florida.

Seatbelt saved my life (again at 18).

Too many more, why am I still alive?

Because of helmets and seatbelts.

(And possibly condoms...? :supergrin:)

UneasyRider
03-30-2012, 17:34
Because of helmets and seatbelts.

(And possibly condoms...? :supergrin:)

That too!