Crossbow for Survival??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Crossbow for Survival???

Outer Rondacker
03-10-2012, 08:02
I have surfed around and didnt find a spot anyone here on glock talk talks about crossbows and well since it was an idea of mine for survival this is where I ended up asking about them. Forgive me if I missed a post on it.

Does anyone use a crossbow that is not a budget buster that works well they can recommend and do you think it would be a good survival tool? I do as I live in upstate ny and it would work well for hunting/self defence as in I dont want everyone knowing where I and the misses are camped out if the snit had hit the fan.

I have searched the net a bit and stopped by my local bow shops and well no mater who you ask they sell the best one for the best price. I dont think so.

Stealth is key when running in small group is it not? Any input would be good just tossing this out there.

thesurefire
03-10-2012, 18:54
Look here:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196301

The generally accepted short answer is there are dozens of better things to spend your money on for a SHTF situation.

While a bow or crossbow is quiet, I don't really see what it does that a suppressed .22 doesn't do better.

While making noise is bad, I'm not worried about "disturbing the piece" if I'm in a situation that would require me to discharge a weapon.

Remember youre much more likely to use a firearm to shoot a deer than to james bond your way into a enemy compound.

quake
03-10-2012, 19:51
...While a bow or crossbow is quiet, I don't really see what it does that a suppressed .22 doesn't do better.
I don't own a crossbow, but I used to; and I'd have to agree with the above. I'd actually leave off the ".22" limitation. A subsonic round thru a good suppressor can be pellet-gun quiet, well beyond the power range of .22 rimfires.

That said - and this is a real & valid consideration - legally obtaining suppressed guns is usually substantially more expensive and more hassle than obtaining a crossbow. If I had to rely on a bow, I'd prefer a crossbow over a conventional bow; but I'd prefer to not have to rely in a bow at all.

Nothing 'wrong' with them; as tens of thousands of dead deer can attest. Just a question of prioritizing against other options; and that's largely personal and subjective.

nightwolf1974
03-11-2012, 11:06
Well, sinfce you are in NY I doubt you can have a crossbow OR a supressed .22 rifle. I'd check your local laws first.

Now as per the original question....................

I have crossbows, compound bows, and old fashioned recurve bows.

My personal opinion that in a survival stuation, a good compound bow is your best all around bet. Crossbows(even though are powerful, quiet and cool) are very limited if you get into a situation wher you have to fire a second (or third and fourth) shot at a target when it really counts. A compound doesn't require a cocking device that will save your fingers from the starins of pulling the 150lb pull back into the lock position. Although most of today's crossbows are compound oppossed to the old style recurve crosbows, they still are too much for some people to use.

Plus, when buying bolts(crossbow arrows) they are much more expensive than regular arrows. And most people prefer to use scopes and red-dots on crossbows that can be damaged or need batteries. Where as a compounds generally uses pin style sights.

Wil Ufgood
03-11-2012, 21:27
Well, sinfce you are in NY I doubt you can have a crossbow OR a supressed .22 rifle. I'd check your local laws first.

Now as per the original question....................

I have crossbows, compound bows, and old fashioned recurve bows.

My personal opinion that in a survival stuation, a good compound bow is your best all around bet. Crossbows(even though are powerful, quiet and cool) are very limited if you get into a situation wher you have to fire a second (or third and fourth) shot at a target when it really counts. A compound doesn't require a cocking device that will save your fingers from the starins of pulling the 150lb pull back into the lock position. Although most of today's crossbows are compound oppossed to the old style recurve crosbows, they still are too much for some people to use.

Plus, when buying bolts(crossbow arrows) they are much more expensive than regular arrows. And most people prefer to use scopes and red-dots on crossbows that can be damaged or need batteries. Where as a compounds generally uses pin style sights.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68802.html

lawman800
03-12-2012, 09:33
I would say it's good if you know how to use one properly and have the right bolts. Most people I know here go buy whatever they get at a sporting goods store and play in the backyard a few times and think that's that.

Well, they don't know the effective range, how accurate they can be, and they don't have hunting bolts, just the cheapie field bolts that come with the crossbow. When the chips are down, would you trust that? I wouldn't.

As for suppressed weapons, not an option in CA at all. Not allowed under our laws.

MoneyMaker
03-12-2012, 09:35
Recurve is best bet,No working parts to fail except string or limb,Wont find parts for compound or crossbow if there is a event.

JackMac
03-12-2012, 15:49
Montagnard crossbows are simple and break down if you need to take apart. Nobody I know sells a reproduction but it would be a good business opportunity for the Montagnard community in this country.

3rdgen40
03-12-2012, 16:56
You been watching "Walking Dead" ?
http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/the-walking-dead-daryl-crossbow.jpg

RWBlue
03-12-2012, 17:09
I have long bow, crossbow, compound bow and silencers.

The generally accepted short answer is there are dozens of better things to spend your money on for a SHTF situation.

While a bow or crossbow is quiet, I don't really see what it does that a suppressed .22 doesn't do better.

Given the option between crossbow and silencer, the silencer wins. Then again, I don't think you can have a silencer legally, so....

My compound arrows are about the same price as my crossbow bolts. They are made by eastman. They use the same broadhead.

Pins can be damaged just like scopes. My crossbow came with pins and now uses a scope as a primary sight. I could go back if I wanted.

Bows have a faster followup than a crossbow.

I can pull a crossbow out and teach someone to shoot it in minutes. Bows require practice. Bows require practice.(yes I am repeating myself.)

IMHO, the best place to purchase a crossbow is a pawn shop. I bought mine new from Cabelas. They were great. They set it up. I shot a few bolts..... IMHO, this is very easy to do.

If I were poaching where I could not have a silencer, I would use a crossbow or a bolt action 22LR. I think the crossbow would be quieter, but it would be very figure out where someone is from one 22LR shot.

RWBlue
03-12-2012, 17:11
You been watching "Walking Dead" ?
http://www.armoryblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/12/the-walking-dead-daryl-crossbow.jpg

Why is he not looking though the scope/red dot? Does he not understand how to sight in that crossbow?

Outer Rondacker
03-16-2012, 14:21
Recurve is best bet,No working parts to fail except string or limb,Wont find parts for compound or crossbow if there is a event.

I would love to be able to shot a recurve again but do to three opperations on the old sholder it is not a good idea. So crossbow was a better idea.

Even if I only got one shot that is fine can follow up with a gun if need be.

I should of said this in the begining. I am only looking at recurve crossbows so no compound ones in my future.

Thank you all for responding this is some great feedback as far as silencer that is a no no in nys. There is always a way around that pcp 22 rifle with some mods will outshoot my ruger all day long and with the correct muzzle brake is about as loud as a fart.:rofl:

Warp
03-16-2012, 16:24
Even if I only got one shot that is fine can follow up with a gun if need be.

In that case why not start with the gun?

RWBlue
03-16-2012, 18:51
In that case why not start with the gun?

I was thinking the same thing.

The only thing I could think of was....
The crossbow would be ok for deer or rabbits or ..... but if you have to go after a person then....there will be a gun involved.

DustyJacket
03-16-2012, 20:26
With most bows, you can re-use the ammo.

Not so much with a .22

Warp
03-16-2012, 22:16

Not so much with a .22

I'm pretty sure that given the cost, size and weight of .22 ammo the .22 comes out ahead.

syntaxerrorsix
03-17-2012, 07:37

Not so much with a .22

This.

syntaxerrorsix
03-17-2012, 07:40
I'm pretty sure that given the cost, size and weight of .22 ammo the .22 comes out ahead.

Sure, just as long as it's available. Eventually you are going to run out. I like the idea of being able to make my own ammo if needed.

RWBlue
03-17-2012, 08:48
Sure, just as long as it's available. Eventually you are going to run out. I like the idea of being able to make my own ammo if needed.

How much do bolts cost now? How many times can a bolt be reused (normally)? (I had a bad habit of losing when hunting small game.)
Yes, bolts can be made, but it is difficult and time consuming.

How do 22LR cost?
How many 22LR do you store?

When I did the math many years ago, the math came out on the side of the 22LR.

This is not to say "don't get a crossbow", this is to say that there are limits to it's functionality.

Get a little of this and a little of that. I could legally use the bow during bow season where I was. I could use the 22LR for small game. Hunting with a silencer would not be legal in that state, but I have them for "the range".

syntaxerrorsix
03-17-2012, 08:59
How much do bolts cost now? How many times can a bolt be reused (normally)? (I had a bad habit of losing when hunting small game.)
Yes, bolts can be made, but it is difficult and time consuming.

How do 22LR cost?
How many 22LR do you store?

When I did the math many years ago, the math came out on the side of the 22LR.

This is not to say "don't get a crossbow", this is to say that there are limits to it's functionality.

At any given time I'm likely to have about 2000 rounds and at least three ways to shoot them. I still like the idea of being able to create my own ammo if there were ever a need and the convenience of store bought ammo were gone.

RWBlue
03-17-2012, 09:57
At any given time I'm likely to have about 2000 rounds and at least three ways to shoot them. I still like the idea of being able to create my own ammo if there were ever a need and the convenience of store bought ammo were gone.

Have you made your own?
I was under the impression that a ceder shaft would not do well with a compound bow/crossbow?

I came to the conclusion that I would never survive long enough to use up my ammo and bolts and arrows and ......

Warp
03-17-2012, 11:12

My ammunition stash is relatively small, considering. I still have over 20,000 rounds of .22lr. Then there are the other calibers and other sources of ammo.

I still don't see a crossbow as much more than a novelty, or a fun toy that could potentially be pressed into some sort of service if the situation was right. I cannot see giving it priority over firearms (for the vast majority of people)

syntaxerrorsix
03-17-2012, 16:00
Have you made your own?
I was under the impression that a ceder shaft would not do well with a compound bow/crossbow?

I came to the conclusion that I would never survive long enough to use up my ammo and bolts and arrows and ......

I have not made my own.

I would imagine it would be possible to use a variety of materials to build one however. I suppose I should look into that.

syntaxerrorsix
03-17-2012, 16:04
My ammunition stash is relatively small, considering. I still have over 20,000 rounds of .22lr. Then there are the other calibers and other sources of ammo.

I still don't see a crossbow as much more than a novelty, or a fun toy that could potentially be pressed into some sort of service if the situation was right. I cannot see giving it priority over firearms (for the vast majority of people)

I lean more towards what I can carry if I have to leave and anything I can make is a bonus in my book.

nightwolf1974
03-17-2012, 17:04
Have you made your own?

CEDAR shaft do not work well in ANY compound, wether it be a standard compound or a compound crossbow(which most are now).

The force from the release of a compound (compound crossbow or standard compound) make the arrow or bolt actually bend a bit. Cedar will come apart under those stresses. NOW a recurve crossbow or regular recurve does not generate those forces(although a bolt can be made for froe the recurve crossbow with some studying up on it).

That's why I have all 4 types of bows!:cool:

Warp
03-17-2012, 19:31
I lean more towards what I can carry if I have to leave and anything I can make is a bonus in my book.

So you will carry the firearm(s) with ammunition AND the crossbow with bolts? Do you need to carry any parts with you to theoretically (apparently you have never done so) make your own bolts?

How much additional ammunition could you carry with the size/weight allotted to the crossbow?

syntaxerrorsix
03-18-2012, 00:19
So you will carry the firearm(s) with ammunition AND the crossbow with bolts? Do you need to carry any parts with you to theoretically (apparently you have never done so) make your own bolts?

How much additional ammunition could you carry with the size/weight allotted to the crossbow?

I was simply making an observation. Don't over think it.

There are very few instances where I will be carrying 20,000 rounds of .22. Re-usable items can be quite handy. People have been making bows and arrows for quite some time.

M1A Shooter
03-18-2012, 00:47
i have a compound bow but its only thought of for hunting. id feel the same about a crossbow. i paid $50 for half a dozen carbon fiber arrows last year and in the first couple months, i lost 1 and shot the fletchings off of one while practicing in my back yard. last bunch of arrows i bought were $80/dozen.

for $80, i can get over 2k rounds of .22lr and im sure i wont get 2k shots through this bunch of arrows before fletchings go, or i lose one, etc...

Warp
03-18-2012, 10:40
I was simply making an observation. Don't over think it.

There are very few instances where I will be carrying 20,000 rounds of .22. Re-usable items can be quite handy. People have been making bows and arrows for quite some time.

Not nearly as many as used to because, well, other people with guns obliterated them. (or they simply upgraded from bows/arrows to guns)

syntaxerrorsix
03-18-2012, 10:42
Not nearly as many as used to because, well, other people with guns obliterated them. (or they simply upgraded from bows/arrows to guns)

I think we are of different mind sets when it comes to S&P.

Have a great day.

Warp
03-18-2012, 10:45
I think we are of different mind sets when it comes to S&P.

Have a great day.

You can say that again.

Brian Lee
03-19-2012, 00:26
Don't get a crossbow for SHTF.
I had one and the "twang" was surprisingly loud - not really quiet at all IMO.

Also: In a survival situation I'd rather stockpile brass and reload my own ammo than to have to make my own crossbow bolts. Crossbow ammo is a lot more expensive per round in other words, and it would be important to try to find every bolt you shoot - not too practical in a survival situation. It's a lot easier to find all your brass than all your crossbow bolts, and half the bolts will be broken anyway unless you shot them into bales of hay.

lawman800
03-19-2012, 00:30
Worked for Daryl in "The Walking Dead" when you have to kill one, just one, walker and you want to have stand off distance and keep it quiet. Physically taking down a lone walker even with a shovel or bat or whatever still takes strength and involves risk, no matter how good you are with a weapon because accidents happen.

DrSticky
03-19-2012, 10:36
While I prefer a bow, our friend has shoulder issues and a crossbow is what he needs. If you don't know why you might want to consider a bow/corssbow, here are some reasons.

Bolts and Arrows work wet.

They can also be used to launch an antenna into a tree, send a rope up to elevate your food, or set a grappling hook(especially if you are starring in a movie). Side note: Yes, I have seen the .223 grappling hook that works with blanks, no it won't work in your .22.

They can be setup with a spool, in case you want to shoot something that is going to do a runner on ya or if you want to shoot something that isn't accessible after you kill it(Think firing from an elevated position that you don't want to climb down from).

You can fish with them.

While a .22 is something every one should have, it can also be used as a can opener, bottle opening not recommended.

blueyedmule
03-25-2012, 09:36
Here's something outside the box: Sling Bow.

SlingBow DVD - YouTube

syntaxerrorsix
03-25-2012, 09:44
Pretty cool.

I'm extremely hesitant to try this out of water but it may work in a pinch :supergrin:

http://i370.photobucket.com/albums/oo144/syntaxerrorsix/2012-03-25_11-43-20_188.jpg?t=1332690238

glock30user
03-26-2012, 18:47
Donít worry about hunting laws if your crossbow is for SHTF. I mean are you going to have deer tags with you too? That being said I do agree that a 22 is the way to go.

DScottHewitt
03-28-2012, 13:55
Look here:

http://glocktalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1196301

While making noise is bad, I'm not worried about "disturbing the piece" if I'm in a situation that would require me to discharge a weapon.

Remember youre much more likely to use a firearm to shoot a deer than to james bond your way into a enemy compound.

What if you want to silently take out one Zombie without alerting the pack with a gunshot, and a suppressor is not an option?!?!?

lawman800
03-28-2012, 20:47
What if you want to silently take out one Zombie without alerting the pack with a gunshot, and a suppressor is not an option?!?!?

Soda bottle or a potato shoved on the barrel?