Loaded Magazines - how long?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Loaded Magazines - how long??

copo9560
03-10-2012, 09:12
Any limit on how long 30 round GI magazines can be kept loaded and not loose reliability due to spring set?

Tried search feature but could not find anything there.

BBJones
03-10-2012, 09:31
There is no such thing as spring set. What wears a spring is loading and unloading. With GI mags your concern would be feed lips stretching from extended loaded storage. I would say unless you plan to keep them loaded longer than 10 years I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

Decguns
03-10-2012, 10:27
Ditto... it's the loading and unloading of magazines that wears out the springs. You can essentially leave magazines loaded indefinitely with no worries. Plastic mags tend to bulge and feed lips deform after prolonged storage. Not so much with the metal mags.

I seem to remember Guns & Ammo had a story of a WWII vet who fired off two M1911 mags he had loaded during the war some 40+ years earlier. No issues. If war time production mags didn't have any spring set 40+ years later, I wouldn't be too worried about springs in modern USGI mags.

Glock 1
03-10-2012, 10:42
I have a total of 4 pmags now. :supergrin:

Just got my AR last week. As I get the pmags, I load them and put them on a shelf. I have 4 GI mags I plan to take to the range when I go. That way I don't unload them all. My plan is to have 250 loaded and ready to go when the shtf.

moishlashen
03-10-2012, 11:06
^^^^Good plan. Pmags are awesome and inexpensive enough to get as many as you want.

faawrenchbndr
03-10-2012, 12:05
Love PMags!
Love the ability to snap on the cover & relieve the pressure
from the feed lips!

Jerry
03-10-2012, 12:08
I had 5 20 round mags and 5 30 round mags, all GI, loaded for over 30 years. I've taking one of the 20 rounder’s to the range several times over the last year. It’s been loaded and shot empty probably 30 or 40 times. It still functions perfectly. I have no doubt the others will too.

Mag springs, any mag springs do take a set. If you measure a new one then load the mag and leave it loaded for a week or a month then re-measure the spring it will be shorter. However springs only takes a certain amount of set then they pretty much remain that length throughout the life of the spring. The set does not significantly weaken a spring. What cause spring to get week is compressing then stretching bake out over and over.

copo9560
03-10-2012, 15:40
Thanks for informative replys -

Glockdude1
03-10-2012, 16:09
There is no such thing as spring set. What wears a spring is loading and unloading. With GI mags your concern would be feed lips stretching from extended loaded storage. I would say unless you plan to keep them loaded longer than 10 years I wouldn't even give it a second thought.

:agree:

Jerry
03-10-2012, 17:50
:agree:

Measure a new spring then put it in a magazine and fully load it. Keep it loaded for a couple of weeks than take it out and measure it again, it WILL be shorter. Thatís known as taking a set.

WoodenPlank
03-10-2012, 17:56
Measure a new spring then put it in a magazine and fully load it. Keep it loaded for a couple of weeks than take it out and measure it again, it WILL be shorter. That’s known as taking a set.

Generally, though, it doesn't affect magazine operation - so why worry about it?

TangoFoxtrot
03-11-2012, 08:28
I have 17 -30 rd and 5 -20 rd GI mags mags fully loaded and they been in storage a long time and occasionally I'll pull one or two out to test and they function fine.

whitebread
03-11-2012, 08:57
As mentioned above, from a metallurgical standpoint there is no concern with leaving them loaded. Cycling is far worse for the springs. The feed lips should also hold up if the mags are made correctly.

I leave a few loaded for emergencies.

http://img.tapatalk.com/ae6d00e8-bd22-f7a6.jpg

CLoft239
03-11-2012, 10:36

Lol that's a big emergency.

I can't say too much tho, I'm only a few mags behind you...

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Jerry
03-11-2012, 11:52
Generally, though, it doesn't affect magazine operation - so why worry about it?

Why worry about it!? Because knowledge is power and most people like to know everything they can about how their firearms function and why. The OP asked about leaving mags loaded. I presumed he wanted if and why it would or would not hurt. Evidentially you didn’t read my first post so I highlighted the important part, why it’s not something to worry about.

I had 5 20 round mags and 5 30 round mags, all GI, loaded for over 30 years. I've taking one of the 20 rounder’s to the range several times over the last year. It’s been loaded and shot empty probably 30 or 40 times. It still functions perfectly. I have no doubt the others will too.

Mag springs, any mag springs do take a set. If you measure a new one then load the mag and leave it loaded for a week or a month then re-measure the spring it will be shorter. However springs only takes a certain amount of set then they pretty much remain that length throughout the life of the spring. The set does not significantly weaken a spring. What cause springs to get week is compressing then stretching bake out over and over.

The Shadow
03-11-2012, 20:06
Here's my recent personal experience. I had a dozen USGI 30 round mags (some with the green follower but most with the old style) fully loaded with assorted milsurp ammo and stored for the last 15 years. Recently decided it was time to unload them and load fresh ammo.So I took them to range and unloaded them at the target as fast as I could. Not one glitch from either mags or ammo. I got them reloaded and stored for the next 15. As an aside, I also had 3 Glock 19 mags and 4 Butler Creek 30rd 10/22 mags loaded and stored for the same period. Unloaded them too..... same results. As long as you use quality mags with quality springs you have nothing to worry about. Hope this helps!

Terry

Glock 1
03-12-2012, 12:37
As mentioned above, from a metallurgical standpoint there is no concern with leaving them loaded. Cycling is far worse for the springs. The feed lips should also hold up if the mags are made correctly.

Define "emergency" please. :rofl: I need to have that for when my daughter brings home her first date.

Glockdude1
03-12-2012, 12:56
Define "emergency" please. :rofl: I need to have that for when my daughter brings home her first date.

Daughters first date?

Side-by-side 12Ga.

:supergrin:

CAcop
03-12-2012, 12:59
We had a bunch of AR mags sitting in our gun locker at work that were checked out every day. We loaded them to 28 rounds to make it easier to insert on a closed bolt. They sat there from 2001 to about 2008ish. They were replaced with pmags and used as range mags to this day. The last time I pulled some at random to blast off 50 rounds they worked fine.

plouffedaddy
03-12-2012, 13:09
I used to work in Army basic training and our building was renovated in 2010 (built in 1951). When they were tearing it apart, they found a couple 20 round loaded GI mags on top of a heating duct. Who knows how long they'd been up there since the Army hasn't used 20 rounders for decades....

So, we took them out to a reflexive fire range, inserted them in the magwell, and got to training :supergrin: 0 malfunctions to report.

pag23
03-12-2012, 13:24
I have a total of 4 pmags now. :supergrin:

Just 4 Pmags... you have to get with the program and get triple that amount! :supergrin:

I keep at least 4-6 Pmags loaded (I like the different colors they come as well :cool:)

Glock 1
03-15-2012, 18:44
Just 4 Pmags... you have to get with the program and get triple that amount! :supergrin:

I keep at least 4-6 Pmags loaded (I like the different colors they come as well :cool:)

Oh I am. My next order will have another 10 and another thousand rounds of ammo. I figure about a hundred mags and 20k rounds should stock me up pretty well for this AR and the one I plan to build.

Then off to pistol mags and ammo for SHTF.

WoodenPlank
03-15-2012, 18:47
Oh I am. My next order will have another 10 and another thousand rounds of ammo. I figure about a hundred mags and 20k rounds should stock me up pretty well for this AR and the one I plan to build.

Then off to pistol mags and ammo for SHTF.

Unless you're planning to defend the Alamo all over again, i think 20k rounds of 5.56 might be overdoing it a bit. :wow:

Glockdude1
03-15-2012, 19:40
Unless you're planning to defend the Alamo all over again, i think 20k rounds of 5.56 might be overdoing it a bit. :wow:

No such thing as too much ammo. I would rather have it than need it.

:cool:

AK_Stick
03-15-2012, 20:02
Measure a new spring then put it in a magazine and fully load it. Keep it loaded for a couple of weeks than take it out and measure it again, it WILL be shorter. Thatís known as taking a set.

Let it stretch all the way out, and it will go back to being the same length.

Manimal
03-16-2012, 07:44

That's what she said!

Jerry
03-16-2012, 11:27

Let it stretch out for how long? Iíve never measured a AR/M16 mag spring but I promise you that 1911 and 38 supper springs do not go back to their original = brand spanking new length once they have taken a set. I have a dozen or so 1911 mags that have taken a set but have not been used/loaded in five years. The springs are shorter than the new ones purchased at the same time from the same manufacturer that are sitting in a bag next to them. My new Glock 30 mag springs are also longer than the used ones.

We are talking mag springs right? :rofl:

AK_Stick
03-16-2012, 19:11
Well we're just going to have to agree to disagree then.

I take my own personal M-9 mags and M-16 mags on deployments. I replace the springs every time I deploy. About once a week, I break down my M-9 mags, clean them out, and let the springs stretch out. Before I put the mag back togeather, I stretch the spring out, and then put it back in the mag. M-16 mags I do when I'm bored/if I start having issues with my mags. Generally, the mag itself gets destroyed (bent bodies on aluminum, busted P-mags) before the mag gets so dirty I have feeding issues.

I've measured new springs, and springs that were removed from the mag body and stretched out, and then measured. I didn't find significant differences between the new and used springs. What I have found, is that some springs come from the factory smaller than others, generally about the same lenght, but I've seen them +/- .3 inches.

Now if you don't stretch the spring out, it might measure a little smaller, but if you stretch it and release it, it will generally go back to its original length, at least in my experience.

copo9560
03-16-2012, 19:27
Daughters first date?

Side-by-side 12Ga.

:supergrin:

Wells Fargo 10 Gauge Coach gun for old timers.

Reminds me of Rodney Atkins "Come on in Boy" song........

WoodenPlank
03-16-2012, 21:02
I'd rather my daughter be the one sitting there cleaning HER gun, then thanking me for taking her shooting that day before she leaves on that date.

Jerry
03-16-2012, 21:07
After reading this post it doesn’t appear there is any disagreement. You have proven my point for me. Please read on.

Well we're just going to have to agree to disagree then.

I take my own personal M-9 mags and M-16 mags on deployments. I replace the springs every time I deploy. About once a week, I break down my M-9 mags, clean them out, and let the springs stretch out. Before I put the mag back togeather, I stretch the spring out, and then put it back in the mag. M-16 mags I do when I'm bored/if I start having issues with my mags. Generally, the mag itself gets destroyed (bent bodies on aluminum, busted P-mags) before the mag gets so dirty I have feeding issues.

I've measured new springs, and springs that were removed from the mag body and stretched out, and then measured. I didn't find significant differences between the new and used springs. What I have found, is that some springs come from the factory smaller than others, generally about the same lenght, but I've seen them +/- .3 inches.

You say you let the spring stretch out then you say you stretch the spring. Sure manually stretching the spring will bring them back to their original length. It also weakens them. In fact you can make them longer than they were originally if you stretch them even farther.

You say you don’t find a significant difference. But you do find a difference.

Now if you don't stretch the spring out,it might measure a little smaller,

I believe that is what I said. The one that has take a set WILL be shorter.

but if you stretch it and release it, it will generally go back to its original length, at least in my experience.

Probably will. But since it weakens the springs and most smiths will tell you it does, most people don’t do it. I notice you say you don’t take mags that you’ve stretched the spring in back on deployment. You say you put “NEW” springs in. If stretching them out was a good thing I’m sure you’d still be using the stretched ones. You do know that stretching them weekens them much fater than just cleaning and puting them back in right?

If you doubt what I say just ask any spring manufacturers. They will tell you springs get shorter after use and that stretching is not recommended.

Now what I’ve posted is/was just for general knowledge. I’m by no means telling you how to treat you firearm. If stretching gives you more confidence by all means stretch away. After all you replace the springs with new ones when it counts. The only reason I don’t do it is because I don’t want to have to replace my springs .

BTW, thank you for your service.

bug
03-16-2012, 21:09
I loaded a 2 pmags, GI mag and a HK High Reliability mag in DEC 2008 I left them in my dads damp basement unprotected since that date. I left one dust cover on a Pmag the other I left off.

I used the cheapest Brass case ammo I could find at wall mart at the time. (55GR)

I plan to try them out sometime in JAN 2013 on a really cold,wet crappy day,with a dirty rifle

We shall see....