Gunzilla - What's it smell like and how strong. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gunzilla - What's it smell like and how strong.

Chiplexic
03-10-2012, 14:32
I have to try something new to clean and lube. Been using Ballistol, but my wife is in the 50% were Ballistol seems to really bother their nose. I thought after a year she'd stop commenting. But like many she is super sensitive to it.

I read a bunch on Gunzilla and it seems to be a similar product. Can someone describe it's smell?? Sweat? Petroleum? Fruity? Harsh?
And is it a strong lasting odor.

Chup
03-10-2012, 14:44
Ballistol is my favorite. Gunzilla is also good. It smells but I don't think it has as strong of a smell. Women don't know what smells good.

GoBigOrange
03-10-2012, 14:47
Nothing smells as good as Froglube. Give it a shot.

Jason D
03-10-2012, 18:49
It's a useless product.

craig19
03-10-2012, 20:02
It smells funky. Now, my wife doesn't think it smells as bad as CLP, which I prefer. But, for a quick (headachless) cleaning, I don't mind using it. I don't use it as a lube, but as a cleaner it seems to work well.

Wash-ar15
03-11-2012, 01:01
I went through a bottle. my experience is that its too thin to be a lube, but ok for a bore cleaner. I also had the problem of it going rancid and gumming up on guns i left in storage. I think its because its veg based.

JGlockman
04-27-2012, 16:06
That's odd... Though I no longer use Gunzilla, I have a stainless pistol in storage that was treated with Gunzilla for almost 9 months now. It is not rancid nor gummy. And not a spec of rust either. I would still use it if I were convinced of its lubricating properties.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Jason D
04-27-2012, 16:23
I could do the same thing with a stainless gun and a silicone cloth.

TJx
04-28-2012, 04:53
It's a useless product.

Useless post!

2740dmx
04-28-2012, 07:31
Smells like....................

Victory!! :cool:

Jason D
04-28-2012, 17:16
Useless post!

Not if it stops someone from spending their hard earned money on a useless product designed to A suck money from people's wallets, and B make them feel good for buying a environmentally safe product.

It doesn't remove lead, copper, fouling from bullet lube. The only thing it does do it remove powder fouling. It is viscous, but not enough to trust in in lubing guns.

It is environmentally safe and breaks down. So there for it can't be trusted to keep metal safe from corrosion.

Then I ask what good is it?

Tiro Fijo
04-29-2012, 01:23
Not if it stops someone from spending their hard earned money on a useless product designed to A suck money from people's wallets, and B make them feel good for buying a environmentally safe product.

It doesn't remove lead, copper, fouling from bullet lube. The only thing it does do it remove powder fouling. It is viscous, but not enough to trust in in lubing guns.

It is environmentally safe and breaks down. So there for it can't be trusted to keep metal safe from corrosion.

Then I ask what good is it?

Agreed, pure marketing snake oil. Tried a bottle and it did nothing on powder/carbon fouling on stainless revolver flutes even when using a bronze brush!! I asked for my money back per their guarantee & they refused.

Don't be a sucker. :wavey:

TSAX
04-29-2012, 02:25
I asked for my money back per their guarantee & they refused.

Don't be a sucker. :wavey:

I cant stand companies like that :steamed:, did you pay by credit or debit card. Some banks will take care of you. I bought a product that was crap and wasnt what it said it was online and my bank (Wells Fargo) refunded me all the money, even though it was a small amount, the principle was more important.

:50cal:

DWARREN123
04-29-2012, 07:47
For smell try some G96. Smells like spices. :supergrin:

JGlockman
04-29-2012, 08:09
For smell try some G96. Smells like spices. :supergrin:

Actually, I'm wearing some right now. Sure beats Old Spice!

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

Camu Mahubah
04-29-2012, 10:53
Well I like Ballistol...and it works...I live in an apartment with two cats and the wife was really mad when I used Outers Solvent...she hated Ballistol's smell untill I told her the kitties could drink it and they would be fine...

So now she is ok with it...kinda lucky I guess...She made a sacrifice I made a sacrifice...I guess...

XNDR17C
04-29-2012, 12:57
I bought a small bottle of Gunzilla on the advice of a local gunsmith that I've dealt with and like, but honestly I'm not impressed with the product.
As for smell, to me it has a sort of nutty odor, a little like almonds, and it reminds me of a job I worked at where we did gold electro plating of small items and the gold was dissolved in a cyanide mixture, which had a similar nutty odor.
Gunzilla seems to clean o.k., but it makes for a weak lube. Some guys like it, but even though there's a bit left in the bottle, I went back to Ballistol and wont buy Gunzilla again.

One thing I found amusing was an ad sheet made by Top Duck products, the makers of Gunzilla. It goes on and on about Gunzilla being a superior this and a superior that and it makes all kinds of references to the product being used by military, and then all kinds of testimonials which are signed "U.S. Marine" , "U.S. Soldier fighting in Iraq", "U.S. Marine fighting in Iraq" and "Parent of U.S. Soldier", and because of its abilities, "Gunzilla saves money and LIVES". By reading the products own ad sheet, you would think that Gunzilla is the best thing since the orgasm.

I still wont buy it again.

blastfact
04-29-2012, 17:38
Tell the wife to grow up.

Mine tried to pull that crap on me. That stinks, blah blah blah. I got fed up with her crap and started compiling MSDS Sheets on everything I could think of concerning what we both use around the house and in our daily life's.

When I showed her the MSDS Sheets she tried to pull idea's coupled with feelings, excuse's, emotions and such female BS out of thin air.

I established my baseline with Hoppes #9. Really pretty bad stuff. It's nothing compared to the hair coloring and perment mixtures my wife use's on her hair. And I'm the poor salt that applies the crap. I open up the hillbilly holler beauty parlor when ever she ask. You want to ***** at me for gun cleaning and your nose. I'll stop helping you falsely represent your self. Lets move on to FuFu care products. Yeah I enjoy the FuFu. But man you could ruin a gun if you flushed it with some of the FuFu health and beauty aid's. Even if you reduce it to the old school basics. She is not taking Vinegar and Water to my guns. Nope not going to happen. Just try looking up the magic behind the makeup and lotions they seem to need to lather themselves up in. Some of it is so secret you can't find info in it. And when you do it will curl your toes.

Now to be fair my wife does get very sick if you open a bottle of ammonia around her. It hits her hard and will have her vomiting in seconds. It really does screw her up. And I have been known to over drive bullets and smear a barrel with jacket like some folks do with lead. For those cleaning I do take it outside, to the range or as far away as I can get from her. Also a good excuse to go hang out with some of my buddy's who's wife don't puke at the smell.

And to be fare my wife loves these little dead cabbage type vegetation. Nasty little suckers from the depths of Hell. I smell them cooking and I start hurling like crazy. Brussels Sprouts,,, maybe thats it. They are the most disgusting thing I've ever smelt in my life. Remains in putrefaction don't hold a candle to those nasty things when it comes to me. So out of true fairness she wont cook them up when I'm around. She cooks them up and preps them to her liking and freezes them when I'm not around. And then cares for them as her comfort food of choice. She will only eat them when I'm on the road for work or away from the house for more than a day or two. And no matter how much she tries to air out the house. I can still small them on a low order. Bless her heart. Damn there nasty.

I guess I will bed down tonight with a dab of #9 to combat her FuFu flush and we will start the week out right. :)

AK_Stick
04-29-2012, 18:12
I've used gunzilla for a long time, no complaints, has a different smell, but not bad.

doctordun
04-30-2012, 12:50
I too have used Gunzilla for a while, about a year and love it. I have not experienced any "gumming" and all my guns run smoother and cooler.
It has been my experience that people who have good experiences with something aren't as likely to post their experience as those who have had bad experiences.