Please Pardon My Ignorance. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Please Pardon My Ignorance.

ADK_40GLKr
03-10-2012, 18:06
I've been on Glock Talk for over a year, mostly discussing handguns. All I know about rifles is my old 760 in .308.

Just bought a Ruger Mini 14, and looking for the forum where that type of rifle is discussed.

All this talk about Black Rifles, AK's, AR's etc. has my head spinning.

Is my Mini a Black Rifle, AR, AK or what??

Where do these types, including the Mini 14 fit into the scheme of things (rifles in particular) today?

mace85
03-10-2012, 18:26
I don't know if I would consider the mini to be a "black rifle". I think the term was coined to describe the type of rifle that the anti-gunners feared as being too militaristic and subject to regulation, in addition it refers to the AR's black furniture. The ironic thing is the mini is based on a design of a military rifle (M14 and to an extent the M1 Garand). But due to the nature of it's looks it wasn't a primary target of gun control. Although the 94' assault weapon ban did in fact change some of it's specifications. Most significant of which is the magazine capacity.

That being said I believe the mini is a great "sleeper" rifle. It is chambered in the same caliber as the AR, and although there are differences in the operation of the gun, it still puts the same size piece of lead down range. Basically it isn't as scary looking since it more resembles a hunting rifle than an assault weapon. But I do think that it is a very versatile rifle.

To more directly answer your question I don't believe the mini falls into any of the mentioned categories. The AR is a Stoner designed rifle that is the civilian version of the M16. A black rifle is another term for an AR. And the AK is an AK47 patterned rifle. However I do think there is some merit to owning a non-black rifle. It leaves something in your safe that still gets the job done without looking as intimidating.

Honestly I do not know why I don't own one yet. They are great general use rifles for the price.

K. Foster
03-10-2012, 20:58
This is probably as good a place as any. Did you have any questions or concerns?

ADK_40GLKr
03-11-2012, 13:09
This is probably as good a place as any. Did you have any questions or concerns?

OK, Field stripping, for example: I started to disassemble and clean the Mini 14, and got to the step where you remove the guide rod and recoil spring, and the sketch in the on-line user's guide wasn't clear enough to follow.

I just ran a brush through the bore with solvent and then oil and put it back together.

Where do you grab the spring to remove it? A little more sophisticated than a Glock!

Was also trying to remember my old ROTC Garand field stripping, but that was 50 years ago.

K. Foster
03-11-2012, 20:49
Grab it at the end that fits against the receiver. There is a nipple on the end of the spring, pull it away from the receiver and then pull the spring out of the op rod.

sup
03-12-2012, 11:14
Try utube, I bet there will be something on there to help.
Good luck

Jerry
03-12-2012, 12:15
Try utube, I bet there will be something on there to help.
Good luck

Way to many to post separate links to.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=field+stripping+the+mini+14&oq=field+stripping+the+mini+14&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&gs_sm=12&gs_upl=34664l46254l0l52526l27l24l0l5l5l0l375l2356l8.8.1.1l18l0

Glock 1
03-12-2012, 12:32
I used to have a Mini-14. That was one fuuuuun rifle! :supergrin:

ADK_40GLKr
03-12-2012, 17:48
I used to have a Mini-14. That was one fuuuuun rifle! :supergrin:

Finally picked up some ammo and went to the range today!

Wow! One sweet weapon! Got the hang of the peep sight pretty quickly!

Almost ZERO recoil!

It's no precision sniper gun, but should be pretty good out to 100 yd.

Is it effective on Whitetail?

Cole125
03-12-2012, 19:05
Yeah the newer Mini 14 is a nice rifle, I love mine. I have over 1500 rounds through my Mini, no malfunctions of any kind and with a scope I can keep groups at 2 inches at 100 yards. The newer ones are much more accurate than the older models.

With the correct shot placement a .223 will kill a whitetail, no question. Using hunting ammunition it will be more effect, but a well placed shot with FMJ will kill it.

Have fun with the new rifle!

K. Foster
03-12-2012, 20:18
Is it effective on Whitetail?

With correct shot placement. I would use the heaviest soft point you can find. Win 64g SP would be a place to start but there are other adequate choices.
I had a Mini for several years, back in the 80's. I used it for HD and shot some deer with it but I never really warmed up to it. I moved on to the AR platform and never looked back.