Ever see a gun forsale ad that makes you want to smack someone? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Ever see a gun forsale ad that makes you want to smack someone?

01coltcolt
03-10-2012, 18:18
Have you ever seen a ad for someone trying to sell a gun and wanted to call and ask WTH?
This guy wants $3000.00 Really?

CDNN sells PS90 for $1400 new
1 stock mag came with it
1 stock mags $40.00
3 Korean mags $70.00
1650 rounds they are $21.00 a box of 50 so thats $693.00
Total new price:$2203.00

Where does he account for the other $800.00??????crazy

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c108/01coltcolt/IMG_0834.jpg

cysoto
03-10-2012, 18:28
I see tons of them... A couple of days ago I saw one in a local forum where the seller wrote that the pistol sells new for $300. He has only shot 300 rounds through his firearms and he would like to sell it for $295 for it. Wow, $5 off. GREAT SAVINGS!! :upeyes:

sfguard
03-10-2012, 18:31
See them all the time. Just go look in the for sale forum here for a few

bigchuck83
03-10-2012, 18:32
some people just want to rake someone who doesn't know better over the coals, same people you see at the gunshow who can't sell their stuff. If you want new item retail and then some for your used stuff be ready to be laughed at . any time i get rid of something i take a loss or every now and then break even.

01coltcolt
03-10-2012, 18:36
I see tons of them... A couple of days ago I saw one in a local forum where the seller wrote that the pistol sells new for $300. He has only shot 300 rounds through his firearms and he would like to sell it for $295 for it. Wow, $5 off. GREAT SAVINGS!! :upeyes:

That is funny!:rofl:

Jason D
03-10-2012, 18:48
Is it possible that the guy may have paid close to that or over and is just trying to get his money back?

I know what they sell for now. What did they sell for when they first come out?
When people wanted them and there weren't that many to be found.

ubimow
03-10-2012, 18:48
Yeah, just today in my local online ads there was a used Glock 23 for sale. It said "Like New" only 1200 rounds shot through it and he was asking $620 FIRM. I see a lot of ads that make me roll my eyes and say "whatever!!"

JK-linux
03-10-2012, 19:00

Electrikkoolaid
03-10-2012, 19:00
I suspect a number of people with ads like this got sodomized at their local gun shop, and have no idea what the "real" price of their gun is.

One of our shops in the area is VERY, VERY high compared to the others, and insane versus internet pricing, yet they are jammed full of people every tax refund season.

01coltcolt
03-10-2012, 19:18
Is it possible that the guy may have paid close to that or over and is just trying to get his money back?

You know thats pretty logical. I hate seeing folks get taken.

svtpwnz
03-10-2012, 19:23
The $700 OD Glock ads give me a good laugh. The color doesn't justify me spending double what a comparable black frame glock is worth but that's just me.

michael e
03-10-2012, 19:28
Daily, people that paid MSPR and think everyone should get screwed because they did.
Hell we have a LGS that runs "sale" adds every week. SW Sigmas 319.00, they are 299 tops everywhere else in town. SW 642 420, 400 all other places. Now about 1x a month they have a gun actually onsale, so I still check the adds.

01coltcolt
03-10-2012, 19:35
I think with the up comming Presidential election things are going to get stupid again:crying:

jellis11
03-10-2012, 19:52
$800 testing fee. Possibly a cleaning!

zhix
03-10-2012, 19:55
Lots of ads in the bargain trader where people try to get brand new prices for their used guns.

Also an area shop has been putting an ad in that says "over 1000 guns at gun show prices!", which would be accurate since their prices are about $100 too high.

USMC03Grunt
03-10-2012, 20:09

Don't care. If he wanted the cool new toy when it came out so he could be the first one on the block with a cool new pea-shooter, he got it. Now if someone thinks that he should get the same price out of it when everybody else has one and the prices are down, he's a fool. It's not about how much he paid for it back then but about how much I could get a new one for today from somebody else. Don't like it? Buy a Delorean, turn it into a time machine, go back to the days when you could ask that price and sell it back then.

bigchuck83
03-10-2012, 20:13
armslist for okla right now has the S&W M&P 15 sport for about $899 lmao always funny to see

Bob Hafler
03-10-2012, 20:24
Some sellers use the, there's a sucker born everyday approach. Works quite well on suckers who don't do there homework on what there buying, and not so good on others who know better.

The_Gun_Guru
03-10-2012, 20:28

^ this

It's supply and demand - a huge demand and a short supply equals escalated prices. Smae thing is happening right now with the KT PMR-30 and the Draco AK pistols.

PMR-30...$300. On GB....~$500+:wow:

Draco AK Pistol...$430. On GB....~$600+:wow:

Mini Draco AK Pistol...$500. On GB....~$800+

My PMR-30 and my Mini Draco were NOT cheap! But I don't plan on ever selling them and am VERY GLAD that I bought them wehen I did.

TGG

Cambo
03-10-2012, 20:36
Whenever I am looking at Browning Hi Powers on GunBroker, I am amazed at what people try to get for used ones when CDNN sells them new for $699.

elsolo
03-10-2012, 21:44
Ignorance has a cost

Glockdude1
03-10-2012, 21:50
At a gunshow a few years back, a seller had a plastic tub full of 30rd M16 magazines. These were HEAVILY USED magazines.

He had a sign on the side of the tub:

"Factory test fired only"

:rofl:

CAcop
03-10-2012, 22:13
I suspect a number of people with ads like this got sodomized at their local gun shop, and have no idea what the "real" price of their gun is.

One of our shops in the area is VERY, VERY high compared to the others, and insane versus internet pricing, yet they are jammed full of people every tax refund season.

I with you oon this one. Casual gun owner walks in sees a cool toy, buys it without price checking, then never shoots it, decides to sell, wonders why it never sells.

Decguns
03-10-2012, 22:18
Guys come into the shop all the time wanting rediculous prices for their used guns. You'll get at least 5-6 guys a month wanting $600+ for their used WASR. C'mon! We sell new ones for less than that. Don't even get me started on Franken-AR-15 home builds.

What's worse is the guys who come in with the M1 Carbine their grand-dad stormed the beaches of Normandy, Iwo, etc...with. Your grand-dad may have stormed the beaches in WWII, but he sure didn't do it with this 1970's era Iver-Johnson or Universal carbine.

MinnesnowtaWild
03-10-2012, 23:02
Do you guys think $380 is fair for a very good condition SR9c with 3 magazines? I'm just curious because that is what I am selling it for.

NEOH212
03-10-2012, 23:14
Everyone thinks they have a gold mine but wouldn't pay a third of what they were asking if they were the buyer.

osuconley
03-10-2012, 23:15

You must live in Columbus.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

NG VI
03-10-2012, 23:40
JHP is a model number for one of the Hi-Points.

I've got a friend who absolutely cannot wrap his head around the concept that caliber alone is not how guns are priced. Could not understand why I asked $450 for a USP .40 when there were $150 or whatever Hi-Point .45s, or why anyone would pay more than a couple hundred bucks for a '9 millimeter', as if every single gun chambered in a given caliber is exactly the same build quality and cost.

It drives me nuts.

Hour13
03-10-2012, 23:44
Guy on my local trader site listed a couple "AR"s... for $850 each.

PlumCrazy lower ~ $125
Red-X upper ~ $400
UTG red dot ~ $35

It would be one thing if he built a carefully planned rifle, and sold it making a bit of profit. Nothing wrong with that. But a crappy upper snapped onto an even crappier lower, with an Ebay-special optic? Then pricing it $300 over the $555 build cost?

Ouch. But I guess a fool and his money...

Comedian
03-10-2012, 23:46
Who cares? It doesn't bother me one bit. It does not affect my life whatsoever. Its petty to concern yourself with other peoples business.

Glockdude1
03-10-2012, 23:47
Everyone thinks they have a gold mine but wouldn't pay a third of what they were asking if they were the buyer.

:agree:

glock2740
03-10-2012, 23:52
Just walk into any gun show, pawn shop, Cabela's, Bass Pro Shop or Gander Mountain. You'll see guns that are WAY overpriced. Hell, Gunbroker has posted some of the most ridiculous prices that I've ever seen.

G30Mike
03-10-2012, 23:57
This guy will laugh at you if you try to lowball him on this.....
http://www.armslist.com/posts/303466/st-louis-missouri-rifles-for-sale-trade--norinco-issued-sks-modified

03-11-2012, 00:23
Ever see a gun forsale ad that makes you want to smack someone?
Seen tons of them, but, who cares? Really. It's a free country. They're free to set the asking price, and we're free to walk on by. Whoever "dumb" enough to pay for it deserves it, because they didn't do their homework.

Comedian
03-11-2012, 01:06
Seen tons of them, but, who cares? Really. It's a free country. They're free to set the asking price, and we're free to walk on by. Whoever "dumb" enough to pay for it deserves it, because they didn't do their homework.

Exactly. If you think its overpriced, don't buy it and walk on.

UrbanCowboy
03-12-2012, 04:44

When people wanted them and there weren't that many to be found. Who cares? Just because someone bought a Mini Copper when they 1st came out and they were selling for 10k over sticker, doesn't mean that someone else should have to pay for they're stupidity and help them recoup they're loss.

Batesmotel
03-12-2012, 04:52
Anything "customised" at an outlandish price.

Like a butchered 1903 Springfield I saw. Bad attempt to make a scout rifle ad he wanted $1100 for it.

TN.Frank
03-12-2012, 07:31
I see em' all the time on our Gun Owner's Club "guns for sale" forum here in Tennessee.
Case in point:

"I have a new un-fired American Tactical Imports 1911.
This is the 5inch version of this gun. It has never been fired, i purchased it today.
I have it, the box, all the paperwork even the lock it came with. I will also toss in two boxes of .45 federal ammo."

He was originally asking $600 for it but after a few e-mails with him he's lowered his price to $550. Problem is I could get a new one out the door at my local Dealer for $470 bucks.
I did find out that he'd bought the gun through his local Dealer from Davison's and that he actually had $600 into it, poor guy, it pays to shop around and do your homework before you buy something.

Presscheck40
03-12-2012, 07:53
A few weeks back I saw at the cabelas in KC a gen 3 glock 23 that looked like it had been thrown across a parking lot and then a sports car had done a burnout on it. No kidding it had chunks missing out of the frame and gouges in the slide from sliding across asphalt and they had $425 on it.

4 glocks
03-12-2012, 12:14
What about the people now paying $1400 for a Kel Tec Shot gun. In a year or two they will be $600 or less. Armslist and GB seem to be realy over priced. Some people want $325 or $350 for a used LCP and I can buy a new one for $289.
I saw a add not long ago he was selling over priced ammo and the add said Obama will increase the price of ammo 500% so buy it now and save.

glockrex
03-12-2012, 14:09
I saw a "custom" highpoint pistol at a gun show once. I told the vendor "f$&@ you and your fat wife!"

BLau
03-12-2012, 14:17
Cabelas had a used Glock 22 for $800 because it had a high patrol logo engraved on the slide.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

WarEagle32
03-12-2012, 19:05
I saw one the other way than we are talking. I HATE my brother-in-law. He sold this gun without telling me until right after he did it. Our father in law gave him a VERY RARE Winchester 1300 Defender marine coat shotgun that had never been fired and was in perfect condition. That marine coat version of that shotgun is worth a minimum of 900 dollars. This one would have definitly brought over a grand. He had his moron brother look up what it was worth and he in short messed that up royally. He priced it for 350 and sold it for 300 dollars! He knew the whole time how much I liked and wanted the gun. Needless to say when he proudly told me what he had done, I proudly told him just how bad he got screwed and basically what a moron he was. He acted like it didn't bother him because he had nothing in it. It really ate him up and I would have loved to have had the gun, but I wouldn't take anything for the look on his face when we looked up on Gunbroker right then and he realized that I was right!!! It was wonderful!!!

Travclem
03-13-2012, 10:05
Anything "customised" at an outlandish price.

Like a butchered 1903 Springfield I saw. Bad attempt to make a scout rifle ad he wanted $1100 for it.
Those are my favorites. people don't understand that factory guns are worth more money. I will pay more money for a stock gun than someone elses bubba job. I have done a lot of work on some guns but I wouldn't sell them.

oldnoob
03-13-2012, 10:39
I'm on my local gun forum everyday. It's getting better but every now and then you will still see those WTS ad ask for ridicules price. Whenever I see title with key words like "tons extra", "package deal", "just getting my money back"... I would just pass through them. 9 out of 10 are some Glock with beat up mags, old revolver with few loaders.

The ones that piss me off are the cheap costume job and they try to pass the cost to you. Like "I duracoat this bad boy in my own kitchen and it looks bada$@. That's extra $200 worth in the package deal." Or "I sent this Glock/XD/M&P (inexpensive polymer pistol) to XYZ for a chop job. It cost me $200. Now I just want my money back so I'll sell this for $750."

Jameson4all
03-13-2012, 10:48
I guess they leave room for haggle, but in this case thats a lot of room lol.