Wife unloaded my gun [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Wife unloaded my gun

ithaca_deerslayer
03-10-2012, 17:31
I keep my handgun loaded and holstered in the safe. Suspected a burglar tonight, and grabbed my handgun and a flashlight and strapped on the holster on my way around outside to the side door and shined the light. Almost immediately a big guy came busting out of there and I pulled the trigger, click! The second one came out and click again!

My wife had unloaded my gun to take it to teach a safety class. Moral of this story is, yes, always assume all guns are loaded. But if you need to carry one, double check that it actually is loaded :)

That first guy out the side chicken door was on the heavy side, maybe two pounds. He had been stealing a lot of grain. The second rat was almost as big. Oh well, maybe I can get them tomorrow night. I'll never make that mistake again and will double check that I'm loaded with .22 birdshot. Yeah, I was also carrying my Glock 26, but I wasn't about to let loose Gold Dots through the walls :)

TSAX
03-10-2012, 17:39
:faint:

:50cal:

LASTRESORT20
03-10-2012, 17:44
:shocked:.......Rats!

Thanks for the good share....

Angry Fist
03-10-2012, 17:46
Dang ol' critters! :fist:

steveksux
03-10-2012, 17:55
I was always taught the 1st rule is never assume its loaded OR unloaded. Always check!...

Guess you should treat it as if its loaded while you do the checking, though...

Randy

Teej
03-10-2012, 22:49
Get your wife her own safety class gun.........

clarson_75
03-11-2012, 00:59
slap her twice. J/K. then tell her to never touch your HD gun again.

xmanhockey7
03-11-2012, 01:03
I keep my handgun loaded and holstered in the safe. Suspected a burglar tonight, and grabbed my handgun and a flashlight and strapped on the holster on my way around outside to the side door and shined the light. Almost immediately a big guy came busting out of there and I pulled the trigger, click! The second one came out and click again!

My wife had unloaded my gun to take it to teach a safety class. Moral of this story is, yes, always assume all guns are loaded. But if you need to carry one, double check that it actually is loaded :)

That first guy out the side chicken door was on the heavy side, maybe two pounds. He had been stealing a lot of grain. The second rat was almost as big. Oh well, maybe I can get them tomorrow night. I'll never make that mistake again and will double check that I'm loaded with .22 birdshot. Yeah, I was also carrying my Glock 26, but I wasn't about to let loose Gold Dots through the walls :)

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/deekay168/yo-dawg-at-first-i-was-like.jpg

snubfan
03-11-2012, 08:05
A wife check...right into a wall....I'm just sayin'...:whistling:

jellis11
03-11-2012, 08:29
empty the shampoo and conditioner out of the bottles then put them back. Teach her about unloading your gun!

Bren
03-11-2012, 08:32

Could be worse - I've worked a shift as a police officer with an unloaded gun, back in the revolver days. I know plenty of guys who have gone to work with an empty holster, including me.

vmann
03-11-2012, 09:03
i dont know how the minute you picked up the pistol you didnt realize it was without a full magazine....i could understand treating it like it was loaded, but a pistol without a loaded magazine is too easy to detect....

Aux Bear
03-11-2012, 09:12
Two words: Always "Press Check"!

ithaca_deerslayer
03-11-2012, 09:16
Could be worse - I've worked a shift as a police officer with an unloaded gun, back in the revolver days. I know plenty of guys who have gone to work with an empty holster, including me.

Now that would be scary!

It was just a rat and I can't describe the horrible sinking felling of the "click". There was half hope that I had only loaded 5 chambers or it was a dud, but when the second chamber of the revolver went "click", that was an oh frick moment and I could only watch as they got away!

Shaking my head afterward in utter disappointment. It is my responsibilty to check my own ammo, so I'm ultimately to blame :rofl:

ithaca_deerslayer
03-11-2012, 09:20
i dont know how the minute you picked up the pistol you didnt realize it was without a full magazine....i could understand treating it like it was loaded, but a pistol without a loaded magazine is too easy to detect....
revolver

Yes I should have checked. She had just told me she had seen them, I was thinking too far ahead of the plan. Sort of like a football player running before tucking away the ball.

BigLaw
03-11-2012, 09:34
We have a court security officer who's wife is anti gun. She would not allow any rounds in his gun when it was in the house. One morning she was going to be nice and load his mag for him while he was getting ready. He came in and went to chamber a round and the ammo was loaded backwards. Needless to say he is picked on a lot.

SlimlineGlock
03-11-2012, 10:00
We have a court security officer who's wife is anti gun. She would not allow any rounds in his gun when it was in the house. One morning she was going to be nice and load his mag for him while he was getting ready. He came in and went to chamber a round and the ammo was loaded backwards. Needless to say he is picked on a lot.

We have a Border Patrol agent who laid out all his duty belt items on the kitchen table in the morning. One day he grabbed his "empty" gun, racked the slide and started to take a dry fire shot at the cat, scratching around in the litter box. The gun went off, litter and cat went flying; all unhurt. The cat never again used the litter box.

smokeross
03-11-2012, 11:44
Dump her purse out for her. Might be dangerous things in it.

CitizenOfDreams
03-11-2012, 12:32
We have a Border Patrol agent who laid out all his duty belt items on the kitchen table in the morning. One day he grabbed his "empty" gun, racked the slide and started to take a dry fire shot at the cat, scratching around in the litter box. The gun went off, litter and cat went flying; all unhurt. The cat never again used the litter box.

I'm not sure what the worst part of this story is - not checking the gun before dry firing, missing a cat-sized target at 10ft distance, or having to clean up after the cat for the rest of its life. :faint:

Zeker
03-12-2012, 08:48
Why on earth would you give the combination to the safe to your wife!

SigFTW
03-12-2012, 08:51
lol, I was like what the heck!!!:wow:

PEC-Memphis
03-12-2012, 09:05
I'm not sure what the worst part of this story is - not checking the gun before dry firing, missing a cat-sized target at 10ft distance, or having to clean up after the cat for the rest of its life. :faint:

Someone told me of a similar event. LEO "unloaded" the gun, "dry fired" it at the dog - which was in-between his two kids laying in the floor watching TV.

$2 in vet bills later, the dog survived.

pac201
03-13-2012, 05:57
The two loudest sounds on earth, click when it should go bang, and bang when it should go click...

John Rambo
03-13-2012, 06:06
Buy her a pair of sunglasses. Irish sunglasses.

debbert
03-13-2012, 06:13
Time to shoot the wife.

Deployment Solu
03-13-2012, 06:14

I have pulled out of a bay at the jail after dropping off a remand and realized that the big ring with the Lock Box key snapped inside my holster by the thumb snap wouldn't deter too many people..!!!:rofl: I did however still have my 870 and AR!!!!

After that, I put a note on the dash that says..."Have you hugged your Glock recently". Never forgot my weapon after that!!!:whistling:

bulletandgrunt
03-13-2012, 06:47
Why do you keep your gunsafe in the kitchen? I mean it has to clash with the cabinets and the sammich station.:rofl:

yukon2004
03-13-2012, 07:01
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv141/deekay168/yo-dawg-at-first-i-was-like.jpg

LOL - I love those memes....

Anyway... I always assume every single one of my guns is loaded - and they always are. :)

Thankfully, my wife never touches them, unless we're at the range or I hand one to her.

voomie
03-13-2012, 07:57
This is the reason why I unload at the end of day. If I need to greet an uninvited visitor in the middle of the night, I automatically know that I need to put the mag in and chamber a round. I dont blame you for not noticing a lighter gun, you probably had other things on your mind.

domin8ss
03-13-2012, 08:12
This makes me glad that my wife is afraid of my gun. Btw, did I mention she's active duty Navy and has never been trained or qualified to handle weapons. Her first 4 year contact ends in November. She did extend. She's the only O-3 I know of that doesn't have weapons training.

Andy W
03-13-2012, 09:24

That is one dumb *****. He needs a new wife.