A real AR shop in Houston, Tx?? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : A real AR shop in Houston, Tx??

PettyOfficer
03-10-2012, 19:20
Anybody know of a good gunshop in Houston (or relatively near) that sells a variety of AR brands and models and actually has them in stock?

I'm sick of the bushmasters and S&W options only at the big box stores (also, most ARs tend to be .22 at those stores)

Is online to FFL really the only way to check out merchandise?

Gun shows don't seem exactly reliable and trustworthy to me...

I want to be able to ask questions and if I buy, know I'll have a warranty and a place to go that has answers.

A real LGS where the staff is knowledgeable, reliable and the place has proper inventory..

Most places will have the low end brands or be a sole dealer of one quality brand. I want to be able to get a feel for quality and look over several brands at the same time.

michael e
03-10-2012, 19:22
What part of houston?

doolyd
03-10-2012, 19:37
I just went to AMSS Gun Shop in northwest Houston, Jones and Highway 6. It is a pretty small shop and some younger guys behind the counter but they have pretty nice selection and seem to be willing to shoot the bull with you. It is probably the best experience I have had in a gun shop in Houston to date.

I was playing around with the ADCOR and it seemed pretty nice but I don't know much about them. There were also a number of other AR's but I wasn't really there looking for one so I can't say what other brands were in stock.

sdsnet
03-10-2012, 20:11
Class 3 Weapons on N. Shepherd http://www.class3weapons.com/Default.asp

Collector's Firearms on Fondren http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/index.html

doolyd
03-10-2012, 20:13
Never been to Class 3 but stay the hell out of collectors. Bunch of rude people there. If you just want to look it is a great place, probably the best inventory in Houston but also the most expensive and did I say rude.

PettyOfficer
03-10-2012, 20:55
Never been to Class 3 but stay the hell out of collectors. Bunch of rude people there. If you just want to look it is a great place, probably the best inventory in Houston but also the most expensive and did I say rude.
Agreed 100%...
Way overpriced!

Used Gen 4 G17 625?
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/admin/product_details.php?itemID=49452

skeeter1959
03-11-2012, 02:06
SOG Armory off Beltway 8. Prices are somewhat high, but the service is great. I bought a Timney trigger for my M&P-15 and they put it in while I waited.

PettyOfficer
03-11-2012, 02:37
SOG Armory off Beltway 8. Prices are somewhat high, but the service is great. I bought a Timney trigger for my M&P-15 and they put it in while I waited.

Yeah, they're near my house but their website is not iOS / Safari friendly in the slightest, I can't see what they sell at all. And I'm not going to surf this site at work.

Maybe some day I'll bother to head over, or maybe they'll update their site to be mobile friendly.

LSUAdman
03-11-2012, 11:48
Tagged

I've yet to really find a place that had a better selection or better prices that just buying online, or waiting till there is a show at GRB.

You can try Spectre on 249. Their web site is very Gunbroker-centric, but the store just expanded and has a few tac item, but nothing awesome.

I agree with the statements about Collectors. FUN place to walk around and find rare/hard to find mil surp items. But I've never bought anything and havent found anyhting that would tempt me.

4Rules
03-11-2012, 17:39
Independence Firearms (http://www.independencefirearms.com/)
6360 Fm 50
Brenham Texas 77833
PH: 979-421-9677
FAX: 979-421-9913
<http://www.independencefirearms.com/>

MARSH1
03-12-2012, 14:25
Not sure what part of Houston you are in but we stock ARs in our Pearland showroom. We don't sell them on our web site. The supply is very tight right now. I have a few BCMs, Daniel Defense, S&W and Sigs in stock. If you want to order on line we will do the transfer for $20. Give me a call and I will be glad to help anyway I can.

Marshall
713-344-9600

Edit to add: Bachman Pawn usually has Colt 6920s at great prices at the shows. We get people in after every show to accessorize them.

03-12-2012, 16:40
Definitely stay away from SOG. They are the Collectors Firearms of the AR world.

PettyOfficer
03-12-2012, 19:24
Not sure what part of Houston you are in but we stock ARs in our Pearland showroom. We don't sell them on our web site. The supply is very tight right now. I have a few BCMs, Daniel Defense, S&W and Sigs in stock. If you want to order on line we will do the transfer for $20. Give me a call and I will be glad to help anyway I can.

Marshall
713-344-9600

Edit to add: Bachman Pawn usually has Colt 6920s at great prices at the shows. We get people in after every show to accessorize them.

What is the shop name? Your logo isn't big enough to read on the iPhone app. Pearland is very doable for me, I work in clear lake.

However I am a few months from a full budget, putting my 10% VA disability check away each month to save up... I probably could afford a cheap S&w sportster, but that's not what I'm looking for.

I like the idea of a used 6920, used but not abused. I'm assuming pawn shops are allowed to buy/sell firearms in Texas!? Might start looking in the local pawn stores now and again!

MARSH1
03-12-2012, 19:57
We are Primary Arms. Bachman Pawn sells new guns at the show, and lots of them. Like I said availability is drying up. Cheap 6920s might be a thing of the past. My guess it will get worse as we get closer to the election. You could start by building a lower and add the upper later.

PettyOfficer
03-12-2012, 20:27
could start by building a lower and add the upper later.

I've read that, would I need any specific tools? I've read 'oh it's easy' but I've never seen a thread on lower features and what to look for as far as quality.

MARSH1
03-13-2012, 07:40
I've read that, would I need any specific tools? I've read 'oh it's easy' but I've never seen a thread on lower features and what to look for as far as quality.

Yes a few inexpensive tools are required. If you are like the rest of us you will use them many more times. It is just one option. Many people insist in a complete factory assembled rifle then immediately start changing things like the trigger and stock. This way you pick the parts you want. Here is a goof link to the assembly process to see if it is for you.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_Assemble_your_own_LOWER__UPPER__FREE_FLOAT__TRIGGER__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.h tml

PettyOfficer
03-13-2012, 09:12
I checked out your website: tons of after market products: but I didn't see any stripped lowers.

Do you sell them in store and just not online (avoid FFL transfer hassle), or do you not stock them at all?

MARSH1
03-13-2012, 14:27
I checked out your website: tons of after market products: but I didn't see any stripped lowers.

Do you sell them in store and just not online (avoid FFL transfer hassle), or do you not stock them at all?

We have them in stock but do not sell them on line. As you see we have the best accessory selection going on our web site but lowers, ARs and Night Vision are only sold in the showroom. We are also a Class III FFL.

PettyOfficer
03-13-2012, 15:50
I was just about to head over to the store to get some education: but you're only open 9-5 M-F which makes it near impossible for me... I even took today off to run errands and had I known I would have come earlier.

I was excited to go learn about the differences between the trigger assemblies, grips and different stripped lowers.

However, I'm not in the market right now.. Was thinking about the whole lower first approach, but if I'm not buying an upper anytime soon, the lower can wait.

Real bummer.

Is there that little of demand that opening opening on Saturdays just doesn't generate enough revenue margins to overcome operational costs?

Talk to the owners, if the election/zombie apocalypse is really driving business, perhaps being open on Saturdays would see the store absolutely packed with customers.

MARSH1
03-13-2012, 15:58
I am the owner. We go shooting on Saturday. LOL

Our focus is the web site and fast shipping. Many of our local customer place their order on line and then stop by and pick up. It is a big warehouse with a small showroom.

PettyOfficer
03-13-2012, 16:15
Our focus is the web site and fast shipping. Many of our local customer place their order on line and then stop by and pick up. It is a big warehouse with a small showroom.

Gotcha! I get the business plan now... Still think the zombies would be good for business ;)

What brand of stripped lowers do you carry? Perhaps I can find some online details.

LSUAdman
03-13-2012, 18:00
I am the owner. We go shooting on Saturday. LOL

Next time you have some free time, swing by and give Marshal and them a visit. Great company, great products, great prices and good people.

He can't tell you himself, but I can tell you - subscribe to the newsletter. Lots of great deals around holiday time, and totally worth the drive if for no other reason than to be around like minded people.

He's also a site sponsor, and its your obligation to support them, haha.

PettyOfficer
03-13-2012, 20:09
That's exactly what I wanted todo today; but didn't know the hours were only till 5. Maybe next time.

MARSH1
03-13-2012, 20:35
That's exactly what I wanted todo today; but didn't know the hours were only till 5. Maybe next time.

Give me a call and I can walk you through the different AR options and get you pointed in the right direction. We usually have premium lowers in stock including Noveske. The weekend shows are a OK place to buy new ARs in Houston. New ARs bough there will have the factory warranty.

Marshall

03-13-2012, 21:12
Primary Arms is good people with really good pricing.:cool:

sdsnet
03-13-2012, 21:40
You might also check with Tactical Firearms off Mason Road on the west side of town (I-10 near Katy) http://www.tacticalfirearms.us/

Collector's is a bit expensive.

pgg00
03-16-2012, 14:32
I can attest to Primary Arms also. I've bought alot of things from them over the last couple of years online. Several other people from my agency have also. Marshall is a great guy to deal with.

PettyOfficer
03-16-2012, 21:49
So I made up my mind, it was between an AR or a new iPad and a new G17 gen 4.

Well today I realized two toys are better than one and bought the iPad. In a few months I'll have my G17 ordered with a GSSF coupon.

Marshall, thanks for the offer to help, I'll definitely keep Primary Arms in mind next year when my fun money fund is replenished with tax returns and I get the itch again. I have you web page stored in my favorites: I can't forget!

Tiger
03-17-2012, 00:07
I'll vouch for PA. Great service and very friendly/helpful. I also live in the subdivision next to their store ;)