Carrying on a bicycle - what do you do? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Carrying on a bicycle - what do you do?

jdavionic
03-10-2012, 21:35
I already have a separate thread on commuting via bicycle. I am starting this week.

I've got a permit and can carry concealed or open. I've got several holsters, but carrying on a bicycle is a bit different.

Does any carry while riding a bike? I suppose a motorcyle poses similar challenges. If so, how do you carry?

Thanks.

NMG26
03-10-2012, 21:42
I use a Tommy's Gun Pack most of the time.
http://www.tommysgunpack.com/productdetails.asp?productcode=1

Some times I just leave my Remora Holster, Appendix carry, and it does just fine for short rides.

I ride armed every day.

xmanhockey7
03-10-2012, 21:43
If I were you I'd ride with either a shoulder holster or an OWB holster (probably OC if it's an OWB holster).

PaleRider505
03-10-2012, 21:45
I don't ride a bicycle but when I used to ride a motorcycle I carried just the way I always do. Sometimes in a inside the pants holster and sometimes an outside the pants holster, as long as my shirt was long enough to cover it. (I'm waiting for someone to recommend a fanny pack for you).

jdavionic
03-10-2012, 21:51

Some times I just leave my Remora Holster, Appendix carry, and it does just fine for short rides.

I ride armed every day.

Thanks! It will be part of my daily commute and I'm not about to do that unarmed. I agree..."armed every day".

jdavionic
03-10-2012, 21:54
If I were you I'd ride with either a shoulder holster or an OWB holster (probably OC if it's an OWB holster).

I have a blackhawk Serpa holster with the retention device. Admittedly not the best, but it may do for the short term.

nastytrigger
03-10-2012, 21:57
I open carry a Blackhawk Serpa because I want retention, just in case. Comfort too.

BK63
03-11-2012, 08:35
Lots of threads on carrying on a bike. Smartcarry, fanny pack, handlebar bag. The list goes on and on as if you were asking "whats the best holster for"... I personally use a handlebar bag. I don't want the thing working itself loose while I'm peddling 10 miles and not know it dropped onto the road some place.

Mongosafari
03-11-2012, 08:47
Yes, every time I'm out on the mountain bike I am armed. I tried several means of carry until I happened upon Pistol Wear. http://www.pistolwear.com/ most of the time I carry a S&W 642 but I have also carried a Colt Commander in the same carrier.

It's super comfortable and with the 642 I often forget I have the revolver with me.

Bicycle mounted holster/pouch mean you can't leave the bike unless you transfer the firearm to your pocket/body (and do it without being observed).
My Camelback is too difficult to draw from.
"Fag bags" well not for me.

rich52us
03-11-2012, 09:03

I ride armed every day.

This is my answer as well. It's the only time I use a fanny pack, but it's both secure and accessable.

P35
03-11-2012, 10:19
depends on what I'm wearing, regular clothes, belt holster, cycling clothes, fanny pack

OMEGA5
03-11-2012, 17:08
I already have a separate thread on commuting via bicycle. I am starting this week.

I've got a permit and can carry concealed or open. I've got several holsters, but carrying on a bicycle is a bit different.

Does any carry while riding a bike? I suppose a motorcyle poses similar challenges. If so, how do you carry?

Thanks.

I carry using this bag. I carry a Glock 33 but it'll accomodate
my Taurus Public Defender just as easily. I carry my bike
tools, spare tube and patch kit, mace (for dogs), Kershaw
Chive, wallet, cell phone, Epipen (I'm deathly allergic to Bee
stings) a Surefire Poly light and usually a small bottle of
Gator Aid. It rides well and doesn't get in the way at all. If I
stop and get off my bike, all my gear and weapon goes with
me. It's a Maxpedition Versi-pack.
Dano :harley:
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/bikebag.jpg
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y200/omega5m14/bikebag3.jpg

dp2002813
03-11-2012, 19:25
I would like to add that I have carried Smartcarry while cycling and it works well. I lost some leg hair, but it works well. I have also tried and liked the safe packer: https://www.midwayusa.com/product/890391/wilderness-tactical-safepacker-belt-holster-right-hand-7-x-8-nylon-black?cm_vc=S014

I have a water bottle with a belt and attach the safe packer to the belt.

FLSlim
03-11-2012, 19:32
Tommy's GunPack. Good size, quick release, and 2 extra pockets for extra rounds and whatever else you need.

SevenSixtyTwo
03-12-2012, 17:33
I use my Galco concealable belt holster with a light cover shirt and jeans shorts for my G26. We ride a lot in park trails and county bike trails. Wife carries her Bobcat IWB. Haven't been made yet or if we have, no one cares as of yet.

EL COLONEL
03-12-2012, 19:34
Get the Tommy ...... :wavey:

jdavionic
03-12-2012, 19:51
Get the Tommy ...... :wavey:

Yea, that's where I'm leaning. I've got to carry a backpack on the commute, so a Maxpedition wouldn't work. My Serpa holster is a good short-term solution, but I'd rather go a concealed route.

Berto
03-12-2012, 20:10
Usually I pocket carry if riding in/around Seattle. I wear cargo shorts over my bike shorts so I have pockets for my multi tool, ID, a few bills and other stuff so I'm not having to fish stuff out of my messenger or camelback.
Provided the shorts aren't baggy or too light in fabric (hangs up on saddle) the lighter guns like the 442 or BG.380 work OK in a cargo pocket.....I wear bike clothes, but I'm not into the spiderman skin suit stuff, so this works good.
If I'm going to the boonies for an MTB ride in the woods or hills, I'll go to a belt gun OWB.
Yesterday I used my Ruger SP101 with 180gr Castcores in a belt rig under my C-Dale riding jacket. It worked fine and retention wasn't an issue even flying over the bars.:whistling:
I've gone as big the G20 without a problem for MTB'ing, though it's harder to be inconspicuous with a hoss like that....most of the folks at Lake Sawyer, Tolt, Capital Forest etc won't be concerned.

Gunnut 45/454
03-13-2012, 16:10
I wear the same IWB the I normally use to carry! Or a lite jacket and a shouder hoster.:supergrin:

Steve50
03-13-2012, 16:17
Pocket holster in a fanny pack

jdavionic
03-13-2012, 18:39
As an aside, I commuted today...20 miles total. I live in hilly area. Holy crap, some of those hills can be brutal! It's all good though. Funny when I hit real congested areas with cars backed way up. :supergrin:

R.O.C.
03-13-2012, 18:55
Hill People Gear Kit Bag or Runners kit bag
http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/6/Default.aspx

jdavionic
03-13-2012, 18:58
Hill People Gear Kit Bag or Runners kit bag
http://hillpeoplegear.com/Products/tabid/762/ctl/ProductDetails/mid/1916/ProductID/6/Default.aspx

Interesting...I've never seen one that is chest high like that one.

Lior
03-13-2012, 23:39
SmartCarry

BrewerGeorge
03-13-2012, 23:46
Just about the only time left that I still use my fanny pack, spun around to about 3:00 so it doesn't interfere with leg motions.

saxconnection
03-14-2012, 12:48
Weird as it sounds, I take a S&W 342 (AirLite .38 spec) put it in an Uncle Mikes #3 holster, and put it butt-forward in my pants on my right side. When you're bent over riding, it blends right in. I ride 27-29 miles at a time, and it hasn't slipped out.

Adam

jdavionic
03-14-2012, 17:49
I ride 27-29 miles at a time, and it hasn't slipped out.

Adam

:wow: Damn...I go 10 miles each way (total 20 for the day) and the hills just kick my butt. I knew I was little sore, but when I rode today...I discovered I was wrong. I was a lot sore.

saxconnection
03-14-2012, 18:15
:wow: Damn...I go 10 miles each way (total 20 for the day) and the hills just kick my butt. I knew I was little sore, but when I rode today...I discovered I was wrong. I was a lot sore.
I don't go to commute anywhere though. I go just for the ride. It takes roughly an hour and a half. Not too many hills around here, mostly just lakeside city streets. I think if I had the hills you have, my butt would be kicked too!

Adam

Dexters
04-27-2012, 08:39
Tommy's GunPack. Good size, quick release, and 2 extra pockets for extra rounds and whatever else you need.

I found something very similar to that at Wal Mart in the travel bag section.

Another area to look is the camera bag section.

Creatism
04-27-2012, 09:29
I usually wear cargo shorts over my cycling shorts, all I do is mb. I've tried Iwb with my 36 and usually find I'm OCing by a hundred yrds in (I live in Texas and that's a huge NO NO!)
So I usually pocket carry a pf9 or my sw air weight. The other thing I'm worried about with carrying Iwb is falling and landing in it, I'm not concerned with it going off, I'm concerned with landing in it a chunk of steal with my hip. Not good. I've wrecked while pocket carrying and it's really no worse then landing in your wallet.
If wearing shorts is not an option then I'd do a fanny pack. They have several that don't scream gun.

Typed from my iPhone.

TSAX
04-27-2012, 09:40
A shoulder holster is what I would go with, Galco Miami Classic II

:50cal: