10/22 for SHTF or WROL in my subdivision.... Really? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : 10/22 for SHTF or WROL in my subdivision.... Really?

katana8869
03-10-2012, 22:31
So here I am in Florida with hurricane season just around the corner and I am trying to decide on a rifle to give me a little better range than my Mossberg and Benelli shotguns. I'm not wanting to spend 1k on an AR and though I am considering either an AK or a SKS, I have serious concerns about overpenetration here in the subdivision that we live in.

So I have been reading and researching and one rifle keeps coming up over and over.... the Ruger 10/22. I know that a .22lr is a great pot-filler during hard times, but I'm not sure that I can go there for self defense. However a 10/22 with a good scope, 25 round mags and the ability to put alot of lead in the air with no recoil and fast follow up's does have a certain appeal....

So what does everybody think? Is a 10/22 a good subdivision SHTF weapon?

Reb 56
03-10-2012, 22:45
Nope a 10/22 is great for small game not so much for bad guys, SKS or AK makes more sense.

ksmedman
03-10-2012, 22:58
It's a tool. If it's the only tool you have, you have to make do.
That said, you have some better choices for SHTF in the $200ish price range, if that is the concern. The SKS is a good one, or a milsurp like an Enfield, Mosin style Carbine, Mauser, etc...
I have a sporterized Enfield that I picked up for $80, best dollar for dollar firearm purchase I ever made. An Ishapore would be even better, as they are in 308.

You can get a decent AR for much less than 1K. Probably under $700 if you shop around. Lot's of AK's in the same range though, so you have some choices.

TactiCool
03-10-2012, 23:05
A decent 9mm AR will do everything that you described, and be less than 1K.

AK_Stick
03-10-2012, 23:12
A 22 isn't a good defensive weapon.

It might get the job done sometimes. But I would never purposely select it if I had the ability to choose a better tool for the job.

G30Mike
03-10-2012, 23:19
You described mine....
When my son is old enough it will be his. If SHTF, his little butt will be posted up on the roof taking headshots while I draw fire with my M4. :D
http://img.tapatalk.com/425704fc-35aa-193c.jpg

AK_Stick
03-11-2012, 00:05
Sounds like a really good way to get your kid deadified.

WoodenPlank
03-11-2012, 00:08

Glad I wasn't the only one that thought so...

G30Mike
03-11-2012, 00:11
Nah, not if I'm providing cover fire on ground level. Might be a good way to get myself deadified though. Unless we're shooting at Zombies of course. :D

Victoriagotagun
03-11-2012, 00:15
Nah, not if I'm providing cover fire on ground level. Might be a good way to get myself deadified though. Unless we're shooting at Zombies of course. :D

How much cover is there on your roof? Your son would be an open target. :whistling:

AK_Stick
03-11-2012, 00:18

:upeyes:

Well the upside is you probably won't live long enough to realize you killed your kid I suppose.

Boats
03-11-2012, 00:21
Get some rifle or ghost ring sights on your shotguns and practice hitting things with 12ga. slugs. Just how much range do you need?

Within an afternoon's practice, 100 yds should become easy and 250 yards totally doable. Even if you miss, no one is going to hang around watching 1oz lead splatterings walk in on them.

G30Mike
03-11-2012, 00:32
How much cover is there on your roof? Your son would be an open target. :whistling:

:upeyes:

Well the upside is you probably won't live long enough to realize you killed your kid I suppose.
Really was just posting the whole situation in jest, didn't realize some would take it so seriously. My apologies fellas.....I really wouldn't put my son in a situation like that.

WoodenPlank
03-11-2012, 02:24
Really was just posting the whole situation in jest, didn't realize some would take it so seriously. My apologies fellas.....I really wouldn't put my son in a situation like that.

You'd be surprised how many posts like that have been made on GT that were 100% serious... :wow:

NeverMore1701
03-11-2012, 02:25
I have a pretty spiffy little 10/22, but if I have even the slightest suspicion that I'll be in a firefight, it won't be tagging along.

G30Mike
03-11-2012, 02:46
You'd be surprised how many posts like that have been made on GT that were 100% serious... :wow:

Point well taken. :thumbsup:

SGT HATRED
03-11-2012, 02:59
Op you might look into a ruger pc9 9mm carbine and you can get 30 round mags.

svtpwnz
03-11-2012, 08:28
A 12ga shotgun should take care of anything inside your home for sure. I know you don't want an AR due to over penetration, however, shot placement is key and an AR is extremely effective for CQB situations. I certainly would not trust my life with a 22lr in a SHTF situation when there is a much better tool for the job. Also, if your home is being over run by bad guys, staying alive trumps over penetration worries.

gasboffer
03-11-2012, 09:02
A .22 in the guts is worth more than a smile or a prayer!

mac66
03-11-2012, 09:12
I can pretty much guarantee that a 10/22 won't stop a hurricane. :whistling:

1gewehr
03-11-2012, 09:37
I can pretty much guarantee that a 10/22 won't stop a hurricane. :whistling:

Nope, you need a 10mm muzzle blast to create a cross-rotational vortex in order to stop a hurricane.:supergrin:

walt cowan
03-11-2012, 09:53
easy to operate, cheap ammo and lots of it, low muzzle flash and noise, good for com to 100 yards and best yet....no one is going to hang around while that 40 grain pill is drilling through chests and heads.

Bob Hafler
03-11-2012, 11:11
The 22 caliber round has put more then a few people to rest.
Not saying it's the best possible choice for SD. However you can do a whole lot of practicing and get very good for very little money. Remember your in Fla. and people do not wear heavy clothing for the most part. 10/22 with a decent scope on it can be very accurate straight out of the box and you can custom fit it to your needs without breaking the bank.
Plus that there a lot of fun to shoot and it's a rifle quite a few people own for a lifetime.

It's hard to go wrong with a 10/22.

Aceman
03-11-2012, 11:19
This has been beat to death. Here is the response in summary:

* A .22 IS capable of being used as a defensive weapon
* A .22 is a POOR choice for a defensive weapon
* Everyone should have a .22 in their SHTF battery

I think that about covers it.

The real thing here is that you are SO worried about over-penetration in a SHTF situation that would necessitate you being outside sending lead 50-100yds to stop opponents. IMO, you either need to:

a) Get over this and defend the place vigorously when necessary, and get some skills including the ability to decide when fighting > safety, and reasonable marksmanship or...

b) Hide in the kitchen with the women folk and make muffins and get some first aid skills to bandage the wounded.

I also agree that a Pistol Cal Carbine would be an excellent choice, 9mm Rock River AR, Beretta Storm, Uzi (w/ 16" barrel) for old skool kool. Even a .357 Lever backed up by a 6" GP100 (for all american class!).

Slugs for the SG are not a bad move either. But like I said - at the point I feel the need to take it to the street - I'm not worried about the neighbors. I'm worried about staying alive. If the neighbors have any sense they will be out there helping!

Aceman
03-11-2012, 11:25
T Remember your in Fla. and people do not wear heavy clothing for the most part. 10/22 with a decent scope on it can be very accurate straight out of the box and you can custom fit it to your needs without breaking the bank.

Remember, you are in Florida, and the Gun laws are very lax here. The bad guys will be coming at you with an AK and a Red Dot, along with 20 of their friends, armed with AK's, AR's, FAL's, and maybe a Barret. Most will have serbu SG's as side arms. The weapons will all have optics, red dots, and lasers. They will be wearing body armor, and camo.

You and your little 10/22 are toast.

WoodenPlank
03-11-2012, 11:26
Remember, you are in Florida, and the Gun laws are very lax here. The bad guys will be coming at you with an AK and a Red Dot, along with 20 of their friends, armed with AK's, AR's, FAL's, and maybe a Barret. Most will have serbu SG's as side arms. The weapons will all have optics, red dots, and lasers. They will be wearing body armor, and camo.

Sounds like he just needs a Glock 20 and a single magazine of ammo.. :rofl:

HKLovingIT
03-11-2012, 11:29
So here I am in Florida with hurricane season just around the corner and I am trying to decide on a rifle to give me a little better range than my Mossberg and Benelli shotguns. I'm not wanting to spend 1k on an AR and though I am considering either an AK or a SKS, I have serious concerns about overpenetration here in the subdivision that we live in.

So I have been reading and researching and one rifle keeps coming up over and over.... the Ruger 10/22. I know that a .22lr is a great pot-filler during hard times, but I'm not sure that I can go there for self defense. However a 10/22 with a good scope, 25 round mags and the ability to put alot of lead in the air with no recoil and fast follow up's does have a certain appeal....

So what does everybody think? Is a 10/22 a good subdivision SHTF weapon?

No. Only if you are defending against squirrels and rabbits.

If you have a serious concern about packs of looters you should opt for something else, like getting your most important papers and mementos in a grab and go bag, having a BoB and evacuating before the hurricane hits.

I'm not sure under what situation you would be taking 100 yard shots in a subdivision and not expect someone to phone into the National Guard or SWAT that a crazy guy (you) is sniping people in the neighborhood.

Now that I'm done being grumpy - I suggest the Kel-Tec Sub 2000 9mm Carbine, the one that takes Glock mags. There you go, 33 rounds of 9mm on tap. Add a cheap red dot and sling.

http://www.gunblast.com/Kel-Tec_Sub2000.htm

http://www.keltecweapons.com/our-guns/rifles/sub-2000/

Also, won't slugs shoot pretty far out of your shotgun? But again, under what scenario are you needing to take long shots in a neighborhood subdivision? :dunno:

And if it is all Call of Duty around there after a hurricane, dude, move someplace else. :tongueout:

Bob Hafler
03-11-2012, 12:09

Now that is one of the funniest reply's I've ever read. Do you really think your not toast if the 20 BG's with AK's with red dots, lasers wearing body armor come after you know matter what your shooting? Love the maybe a Barret part, I think you might have forgotten the RPG.
Please I was at least trying to keep things in the real world being he already has a 12 ga'. Remember I said it might not be his best choice, but he did say he lived in a sub divison that I nor you have ever seen. Thanks for the good laugh thou,as I laughed so hard the dog even started barking.:rofl:

svtpwnz
03-11-2012, 15:09

:rofl:I am never crossing the Florida border again, hell with that! I don't know what parts of Florida you are refering to but this is funny as hell! OP, just drop the coin for a decent M4 (BCM, Colt 6920, or DDM4) and buy 1000 rounds of ammo to practice with. They are a ton of fun and much more effective that a .22.

DoubleWide
03-11-2012, 15:52
My thoughts are if you can't kill it with a shotgun, you shouldn't worry about overpenetration.

22s are for things that can't kill you.

PhantomF4E
03-11-2012, 16:09
Well here in Fla that might work in the cities and the burbs but out in the country Cooter and Bubba will be picking the ak toters off at 500 yards before they get a chance to get close enough . I know, I shoot with them :-) The city boys with their ak's and sks's (not that they are toys mind you ) had better stay in the city :-) Ps .22 for survival in every bob. Use it in a pinch for sd , but +1 to all those folks touting the ole'trusty 12gauge pump for close quarters. Just learn the dynamics and you can save your neighbors... You want to make it out where the real survivors will be in shtf you had better bring some precision.

pmwglock19
03-11-2012, 16:36
I agree with PHANTOMF4E and practice with the SG. Even take a defensive shotgun course. If you are protecting, you will not be shooting 100 yard shots. Talk with your neighbors and talk about setting up a defensive neighborhood. If 20 BG's come and meet 20 armed coordinated citizens, they are going to exit out of there pretty fast.

powder86
03-11-2012, 16:51
i'm not claiming that 22 is the best there is... but generally speaking, a 22 is great to have. you can have sooooo much ammo for cheap. and it's light and doesn't take up as much space. if times get nuts, the men in my family will have bigger caliber rifles doing some heavy work. but the women and such will man the 22 rifles helping throw suppressing fire out there.
it's no 338 lapua, but a 22 is a must have. yea its great for small hunting. but the amount of ammo you can get in a small space is a huge plus. if we're talkin long term, you could have loads of 22lr left, long after all the 223 may have gone. how much space to store 50000 rounds of 223? then how much space to store 50000 rounds of 22lr?

Bob Hafler
03-11-2012, 17:01
That was a very funny reply. For me being that I do not live in a subdivison I prefer my M1 Garand, Mosin Nagant, Mini 14 or 30/30 over the 10/22. However they might not be the best choice for him either.

MoneyMaker
03-11-2012, 17:04
You described mine....
When my son is old enough it will be his. If SHTF, his little butt will be posted up on the roof taking headshots while I draw fire with my M4. :D
http://img.tapatalk.com/425704fc-35aa-193c.jpg
Great logic putting kid in arms way:dunno:

vafish
03-11-2012, 17:05
As a primary shtf gun I would not recommend a .22 lr, bit I also would not want to be without one in a shtf situation.

Think of the uses of a .22 lr.

Shoot some small game for the pot.

Dispatch roaming dogs.

Arm a neighbor that doesn't have their own gun,

Got some roaming folks that don't belong in the neighborhood but haven't threatened you enough to justify killing, pop a few rounds nearby to send a message.

Easy and cheap to store a bunch of rounds.

Lots to love about the .22 lr for.shtf, it just doesn't have enough power to be a primary arm.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

G30Mike
03-11-2012, 17:20
Great logic putting kid in arms way:dunno:

You obviously didn't read the whole thread kiddo....Push here.....http://img.tapatalk.com/425700ec-3328-a937.jpg

MoneyMaker
03-11-2012, 17:22
Sure i did,you stated when kiddo gets older put him on roof spitting out 22 rimfire so he can draw them out while you use your trained sniper skills to take head shots,bwahahahahahaha

G30Mike
03-11-2012, 17:36
Sure i did,you stated when kiddo gets older put him on roof spitting out 22 rimfire so he can draw them out while you use your trained sniper skills to take head shots,bwahahahahahaha

Reading comprehension fail....

Anyway, back on topic, my apologies for the slight hijack.
Lots of good points for having a .22 in a SHTF scenario. I have mine because I can store a metric ton of ammo and not take up a lot of space and it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to have so much.

mac66
03-12-2012, 08:09

Wrong! Ya just shoot them in the eye at 100 yards. End of problem.:supergrin:

G30Mike
03-12-2012, 11:59
Wrong! Ya just shoot them in the eye at 100 yards. End of problem.:supergrin:

Yep, my 18 month old son is a crack shot with the 10/22 at 1000 yards out. He aims for your retina, yeah he's that good.....

M&P15T
03-12-2012, 12:15
Florida SHTF after a hurricane? Sounds like Modern Warfare 3 in the streets, for real.

Run & Gun biotchez....

PhantomF4E
03-12-2012, 12:53
I remember walking the streets in Cutler Ridge after Andrew back in '92 It was almost like a video game.

HKLovingIT
03-12-2012, 14:40
I remember walking the streets in Cutler Ridge after Andrew back in '92 It was almost like a video game.

What kind of kooky stuff goes on?

Here we just get snowed in for a week so it tends to keep the people inside.

PhantomF4E
03-12-2012, 19:48
Remember the night scenes in the Omega Man movie with Charlton Heston ? We had a quarter million people with no homes to go back inside of. Looting got pretty bad in some places. The usual element was the usual problem. It was 2 weeks before there was any "real" order. Yeah, we shook our heads at the folks in New Orleans screaming for help on the first day. If you are going to stay , you had best prepare well and know what the heck to do . We open carried while we were cleaning up debris and helping folks out who couldn’t. When the NG finally made it in we noticed they didn't have mags in their M4's they were just for display. For the most part they handed out Mre’s and directed traffic. At least the Dade County cops weren’t the New Orleans cops. They told us to arm up and do what we needed to keep our neighborhoods safe.
One thing about SHTF most folks don’t think about besides getting all the stuff together is where you are going to keep it and protect it if your place gets destroyed. Everything has to be weather protected and secured. On a shelf in the garage, not so much if your garage is gone. It takes specific planning for where ever you are. Down here it is in a place that is waterproof and protected, unless you want to try to find the stuff a half mile or more away . I have a garage that is hurricane proof so I have an advantage, but Water proofing is another thing. Pelican cases and Homer buckets.
If you have friends in the neighborhood, plan , simple stuff. Walkie talkies that have compatible channels. Hand held air horns to sound off if something goes bad. If the whole hood responds to some looters they don’t come back and they tell their buddies not to go there. You have it hard if you try to go it alone, organize . But even with your friends , don’t tell them everything you have , don’t brag about what you have stored up or packed away. That can bite you if it goes on for a while .
What we saw in a couple of weeks before real order came back, and the months after, we did not want to think about months long shtf at all….. Now for the most part most folks were good, kind, helpful, cooperative, and friendly. It brought more people together than it tore apart. The folks that acted out, are the folks that act out already, we all know the type. Stay away from them and make them stay away from you and all is well.

March817
03-13-2012, 00:20
Why do I keep thinking "Twin Uzi's with a double shoulder rig"?

engineer151515
03-13-2012, 00:33
Re-read this folks.

It was reality . . from coastal Louisiana to Mobile Bay.

Remember the night scenes in the Omega Man movie with Charlton Heston ? We had a quarter million people with no homes to go back inside of. Looting got pretty bad in some places. The usual element was the usual problem. It was 2 weeks before there was any "real" order. Yeah, we shook our heads at the folks in New Orleans screaming for help on the first day. If you are going to stay , you had best prepare well and know what the heck to do . We open carried while we were cleaning up debris and helping folks out who couldnít. When the NG finally made it in we noticed they didn't have mags in their M4's they were just for display. For the most part they handed out Mreís and directed traffic. At least the Dade County cops werenít the New Orleans cops. They told us to arm up and do what we needed to keep our neighborhoods safe.
One thing about SHTF most folks donít think about besides getting all the stuff together is where you are going to keep it and protect it if your place gets destroyed. Everything has to be weather protected and secured. On a shelf in the garage, not so much if your garage is gone. It takes specific planning for where ever you are. Down here it is in a place that is waterproof and protected, unless you want to try to find the stuff a half mile or more away . I have a garage that is hurricane proof so I have an advantage, but Water proofing is another thing. Pelican cases and Homer buckets.
If you have friends in the neighborhood, plan , simple stuff. Walkie talkies that have compatible channels. Hand held air horns to sound off if something goes bad. If the whole hood responds to some looters they donít come back and they tell their buddies not to go there. You have it hard if you try to go it alone, organize . But even with your friends , donít tell them everything you have , donít brag about what you have stored up or packed away. That can bite you if it goes on for a while .
What we saw in a couple of weeks before real order came back, and the months after, we did not want to think about months long shtf at allÖ.. Now for the most part most folks were good, kind, helpful, cooperative, and friendly. It brought more people together than it tore apart. The folks that acted out, are the folks that act out already, we all know the type. Stay away from them and make them stay away from you and all is well.

WoodenPlank
03-13-2012, 00:40
Re-read this folks.

It was reality . . from coastal Louisiana to Mobile Bay.

Plenty of folks on the Gulf coast have not forgotten this, fortunately. Plenty of people in Texas should remember, too, since they evacuated a lot of the troublemakers to their cities after Katrina... and a lot of them never left!

Jameson4all
03-13-2012, 11:11
Man you guys sure paint quite a picture.

engineer151515
03-13-2012, 11:56
Man you guys sure paint quite a picture.

I think many people have forgotten how dark it gets when there is absolutely no electrical power and no moon.

In the daytime, you'll notice strangers that drive around culdesacs - obviously not thru traffic - checking out who has stayed. At night, the sound of generators draws looters with lock cutters like moths to a flame.

Personally, I've always had more than the 10/22's to rely upon.