PPK quality? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : PPK quality?

Eric2340
03-11-2012, 06:15
Was dabbling looking at the Walther PPK this am, what's the story on them?

I know the German made ones are the most valuable collector wise obviously, but quality wise if one wanted one for carry or just to go "bang" reliably, what's good and what's not?

I know Interarms made them for a while and now S&W does, how's the quality of those, or are the German ones really the only ones worth a d*mn one way or another?

I KNOW there are much better defense and carry options out there and I am not looking for one for either of those roles, but I was more curious than anything else?

Thanks -

series1811
03-11-2012, 06:18
Years ago, my former agency used to issue them for undercover work. It was because of the caliber, not reliability, that that practice stopped.

bac1023
03-11-2012, 06:20
I have a newer PPK/s that's been great.

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_2207.jpg

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/rr97/briancut1023/000_2209.jpg

DustyJacket
03-11-2012, 06:36
I had 2 of the Interarms versions, and they were joy-sucking jamb-o-matics.

I now have a S&W version, and it has been 100% reliable. I've put 500 rounds through it without one issue.

and it is accurate

It is my daily carry 80% of the time.

http://www.dustyjacket.com/shooting/ppk_01.jpg

Decguns
03-11-2012, 08:13
I have one of the ole Interarms Walthers and a Feg SMC-380 (aluminum frame copy of a PPK). Neither one would feed hollow points except for Remington's 88gr HP with a round nose profile. My S&W PPK has been 100% reliable with all ammo types. As far as accuracy goes, it's hard to beat the PPK. All of mine are tack drivers even with the tiny little sights. Since they're a blow back pistol, recoil is a bit stiff even with the mediocre 380 cartridge.

It's a great carry pistol for the summer. Very small & lightweight. Fits into any pocket. There's always the debate over whether to use HP or FMJ ammo in this cartridge. I tend to err on the side of caution and normally pack FMJ. Though the S&W does like Hornady Zombie-Max.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-11-2012, 10:33
My Interarms PPK .380 is pretty good. Not aware of quality issues. It feeds and works well. Also very accurate. A PPK can shoot circles inside an LCP.

The S&W versions had a run that went through recall, because the decocker metal would break causeing it to fire on decock.

The PPK format itself is ok, but I think the LCP is better for carry. In comparison, the PPK is heavy, has sharp recoil (about same as much lighter LCP) and can bite the web of your hand with the slide if you aren't careful in your grip :)

Darkangel1846
03-11-2012, 10:52
I have the PPKS and its a very usable handgun. Accurate, mine has never jammed. I would think they are for specific users. Smaller hands ....the slide does bite the webbing of your hand if your not careful. Big or fat hands seem to get in the way.
Had mine for 16 years and no problems.

Caladan
03-11-2012, 11:37
My Interarms PPK/s has been 100% for many hundreds of rounds (I lost track long ago), and this includes Cor-Bon as well. Accuracy is excellent, and rivals my Sig P232. Fit and finish is of course excellent.

Be aware that the plastic grip panels are easily discolored with modern solvents. Hopefully new grips are made of a more modern plastic. Also, the bottom of the rear slide serrations are quite distinct and might rub over the top of your hand a bit, depending on how large your hand is.