How do you make a flat bread (wrap) from scratch? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : How do you make a flat bread (wrap) from scratch?

UneasyRider
03-11-2012, 12:31
Here is what I know:

1 tablespoon baking powder to 2 cups of flour mixed with warm water until you get a sticky ball, then roll it and cook it in a frying pan.

Any other ideas along this line for making a wrap with some flexibility to it?

bdcochran
03-11-2012, 13:05
Search
About 310,000 results (0.21 seconds)

Everything
Images
Maps
Videos
News
Shopping
Recipes

More

Los Angeles, CA

Change location
Search Options

Show search tools
Search Results

How to Make Flat Bread: 9 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow
www.wikihow.com ... Recipes Baking Breads Flat Breads
Jan 23, 2012 How to Make Flat Bread. There are many different types of flat bread. This particular recipe is fat and salt free.
Flour Tortilla Wraps recipe - All recipes UK

allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1864/flour-tortilla-wraps.aspx

UneasyRider
03-11-2012, 13:13
Search
About 310,000 results (0.21 seconds)

Everything
Images
Maps
Videos
News
Shopping
Recipes

More

Los Angeles, CA

Change location
Search Options

Show search tools
Search Results

How to Make Flat Bread: 9 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow
www.wikihow.com ... Recipes Baking Breads Flat Breads
Jan 23, 2012 How to Make Flat Bread. There are many different types of flat bread. This particular recipe is fat and salt free.
Flour Tortilla Wraps recipe - All recipes UK

allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/1864/flour-tortilla-wraps.aspx

I am looking to narrow that down a bit to one that somebody is really happy with from personal experience. I did a web search before posting BD.

bdcochran
03-11-2012, 13:27
Flat bread wrap. The problem is that there are many types. You have the Armenian, you have the wrap like I had in Afghanistan, the tortilla wrap depends upon the content of the wrap and what is wrapped. It is also a matter of aging.

You could watch a guy stick his arm down a hole that served as an oven and have the dough stick to the side. He would then pull it out with two sticks. If he wanted to use it as a wrap, it was used hot. If you exposed it to the air for about 15 minutes, it became hard. Afghanistan.

Wrap - a tortilla type wrap is not appropriate for a crepe. It is not appropriate for Peking Duck wrap. Same observation about the Peking duck wrap. If you wait too long after making, then it hardens.

If you are contemplating the wraps in fast food places, they would have to be slightly heated if you wanted them flexible to make a sandwich in place.

If you buy a sandwich wrap in the grocery store, it was made while slightly warm.

Did you ever wonder about how fortune cookies are made. I saw them made in an alley in SF about 40 years ago. A flat mold. Woman with bandaids on her fingers inserts a paper fortune and then folds in 4. Still a form of wrap.

If you have a favorite wrap made in a bakery locally, just ask the guy how he makes it. He will give you the timing.

DoctaGlockta
03-11-2012, 13:45
Google chapati. My mom used to make them. Easy.

UneasyRider
03-11-2012, 17:05
Google chapati. My mom used to make them. Easy.

Thanks!

DoctaGlockta
03-11-2012, 17:32
Thanks!

No worries but if you start feeling urge to pray to Ganesha please don't blame me :whistling:.

wildcat455
03-11-2012, 18:13
Hey UneasyRider.

I just use the tortilla mix that wallyworld sells (Or Food City etc) I just put up about 20 pounds of it. (Froze it in freezer for about 3 months, then packed into jars with an O2 absorber.)

2 cups of mix, 1/2 cup of water roll it out to desired thickness, cook in greased skillet. Pretty simple stuff!

Sorry if this is not what you are looking for!