Gun Stores in Knoxville, Tennessee? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Gun Stores in Knoxville, Tennessee?

daustin777
03-11-2012, 16:49
Anyone recommend some good gun store in the Knoxville area? I'm interested in Glock, Sig, XD's. AR accessories also. Looking for an IWB holster for G26 gen4.

glock2740
03-11-2012, 16:58
Here you go.

http://www.bing.com/local/default.aspx?what=gun+stores&where=Knoxville%2c+Tennessee&s_cid=ansPhBkYp01&mkt=en-us&ac=false&q=gun+stores+in+knoxville+tn&qpvt=gun+stores+in+knoxville+tn&FORM=LARE

Welcome to GT. :wavey:

daustin777
03-11-2012, 17:14
Here you go.

http://www.bing.com/local/default.aspx?what=gun+stores&where=Knoxville%2c+Tennessee&s_cid=ansPhBkYp01&mkt=en-us&ac=false&q=gun+stores+in+knoxville+tn&qpvt=gun+stores+in+knoxville+tn&FORM=LARE

Welcome to GT. :wavey:

Any of them you recommend?

glock2740
03-11-2012, 19:07
I've never been to Knoxville, but I travel alot, and that is how I find gun stores in the areas that I am traveling in. If you're looking for anything specific, then call them before you spend the time going to each one and see what they have and if it's worth the trip. I'm a big Glock and 1911 fan, so when I call, I ask what brands of 1911's they carry and have in stock and what kind of Glocks they have, as well as what kind of prices. Saves a ton of time and gas.

camelotkid
03-11-2012, 19:28
Frontier Firearms, do yourself a favor and stay away from coal creek and gander mountain.

GoBigOrange
03-11-2012, 20:05
Check out Bill's Outpost in Alcoa. It's worth the drive.

xXGearheadXx
03-12-2012, 08:47
-Randy's guns and Knives - prices are a joke but they do have reloading stuff if you're in a pinch.
-Gander - Read above, except Gander may have a gun or 10 that you want. Prices are high, used guns usually sell for at or above what the guys below sell them for new.
-Coal Creek Armory - Class III, good selection most of the time, most of their staff is pretty good. Prices are competitive. They're a little on the "tactical" side, but overall they're pretty good.
-Academy sports - it's pretty new, so i've only been in there once but they sell handguns, long guns, ammo, etc...prices seemed competitive.
-Frontier Firearms - It's a bit of a haul outside knoxville, and i haven't seen their new facility, but it was a pretty good, well stocked gun store even back when they were in the trailer park. I believe they are class III. Guys in there seemed like pretty good guys when i was there.
-Gunny's - I think it's in Alcoa/Maryville. I haven't been there. My buddy raved about them...decent prices and selection. Class III also i believe
-Outdoor world is ripoff city. Head towards Gatlinburg instead (assuming you're driving east) turn right off the exit and J Floyd's Golf and Guns is on your left 5-10 miles down.
-There's one just South of UT on Alcoa highway on the right. Don't know what it's called, and i haven't been in. decent sized store.
Long range precision in Andersonville. Class III, makes suppressors and custom rifles(described to me as the Red Jacket of TN). I'm heading there for the first time this week.
South Clinton Pawn - Clinton Highway. Even though it's a pawn shop, they are really a gun store with a pawn shop attached. They always have a great stock of new handguns. As many as CCA or Academy.

Of those listed above, CCA, Gunny's and Frontier all have indoor ranges. CCA has rentals, not sure about frontier or gunny's.

And if you're interested in shooting a mini/local competition, ORSA has steel, IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, and cowboy action. Their schedule of events is on their website. Great place. They also have several rifle ranges (out to 1000yds) plinking bays, action pistol bays, indoor bays, etc...only $120/year membership.

AND ONE MORE edit, we have monthly gun shows at Chilhowee park and the knoxville Expo center on Clinton Highway. You can always find about 300 guns you can't afford there...

xXGearheadXx
03-12-2012, 08:51
Check out Bill's Outpost in Alcoa. It's worth the drive.

I'll put it on my list. GBO.

daustin777
03-13-2012, 12:46
-Randy's guns and Knives - prices are a joke but they do have reloading stuff if you're in a pinch.
-Gander - Read above, except Gander may have a gun or 10 that you want. Prices are high, used guns usually sell for at or above what the guys below sell them for new.
-Coal Creek Armory - Class III, good selection most of the time, most of their staff is pretty good. Prices are competitive. They're a little on the "tactical" side, but overall they're pretty good.
-Academy sports - it's pretty new, so i've only been in there once but they sell handguns, long guns, ammo, etc...prices seemed competitive.
-Frontier Firearms - It's a bit of a haul outside knoxville, and i haven't seen their new facility, but it was a pretty good, well stocked gun store even back when they were in the trailer park. I believe they are class III. Guys in there seemed like pretty good guys when i was there.
-Gunny's - I think it's in Alcoa/Maryville. I haven't been there. My buddy raved about them...decent prices and selection. Class III also i believe
-Outdoor world is ripoff city. Head towards Gatlinburg instead (assuming you're driving east) turn right off the exit and J Floyd's Golf and Guns is on your left 5-10 miles down.
-There's one just South of UT on Alcoa highway on the right. Don't know what it's called, and i haven't been in. decent sized store.
Long range precision in Andersonville. Class III, makes suppressors and custom rifles(described to me as the Red Jacket of TN). I'm heading there for the first time this week.
South Clinton Pawn - Clinton Highway. Even though it's a pawn shop, they are really a gun store with a pawn shop attached. They always have a great stock of new handguns. As many as CCA or Academy.

Of those listed above, CCA, Gunny's and Frontier all have indoor ranges. CCA has rentals, not sure about frontier or gunny's.

And if you're interested in shooting a mini/local competition, ORSA has steel, IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun, and cowboy action. Their schedule of events is on their website. Great place. They also have several rifle ranges (out to 1000yds) plinking bays, action pistol bays, indoor bays, etc...only $120/year membership.

AND ONE MORE edit, we have monthly gun shows at Chilhowee park and the knoxville Expo center on Clinton Highway. You can always find about 300 guns you can't afford there...

great info, I great advise. thanks.
And yes, I have been guilty of buying a gun at Gander Mountain.

I've already purchased three handguns in 2012 don't need any more right now. I'm from Mississippi, so it's great to shop for guns in Tennessee when you know you can't buy one. It has already saved me a ton of money.:rofl:

daustin777
03-14-2012, 21:24
Hey, I followed your advise gearhead, I really enjoyed Bill's outpost. Found just the holster I was looking for. Bob was very helpful and fun to talk to. Plenty of AR/AK and home defense firearms. Went by W.D.'s was not impressed.
Went by Randy's, didn't have the quality guns I am accustomed to looking at. Prices were high. Plan to hit Frontier tomorrow. Thanks again guys for your input.

Bimmer1
03-15-2012, 13:38
The new Frontier facility is nice. They have a large indoor range there. I stopped in after Christmas and their stock was a little low but they generally carry quite a bit of inventory. I live in Pigeon Forge so J Floyd's Golf and Guns is usually where I would go.

xXGearheadXx
03-16-2012, 08:16
Hey, I followed your advise gearhead, I really enjoyed Bill's outpost. Found just the holster I was looking for. Bob was very helpful and fun to talk to. Plenty of AR/AK and home defense firearms. Went by W.D.'s was not impressed.
Went by Randy's, didn't have the quality guns I am accustomed to looking at. Prices were high. Plan to hit Frontier tomorrow. Thanks again guys for your input.

Yeah like i said, Randy's is good if i need some basic reloading stuff in a pinch, they're right around the corner from me. Overall they don't have many, if any, good guns and ammo prices are high. Gander has the advantage of some good guns, but sky high prices. If you head over there, CCA and Gander are about 10 minutes away from each other if the traffic in turkey creek isn't too bad.

Thinking about it a bit, if you were heading west on 1-40 from knoxville, you could hit CCA (lovell rd exit, turn right. Make the first right off the exit, then the first left...it's right there on your left) Gander, and Frontier in one shot. I recommend at least checking out CCA, they usually have some good AR stuff (including high dollar stuff like LWRC and Christensen).

Which one was WD's?

daustin777
03-16-2012, 08:33
Yeah like i said, Randy's is good if i need some basic reloading stuff in a pinch, they're right around the corner from me. Overall they don't have many, if any, good guns and ammo prices are high. Gander has the advantage of some good guns, but sky high prices. If you head over there, CCA and Gander are about 10 minutes away from each other if the traffic in turkey creek isn't too bad.

Thinking about it a bit, if you were heading west on 1-40 from knoxville, you could hit CCA (lovell rd exit, turn right. Make the first right off the exit, then the first left...it's right there on your left) Gander, and Frontier in one shot. I recommend at least checking out CCA, they usually have some good AR stuff (including high dollar stuff like LWRC and Christensen).

Which one was WD's?

W.D. Sporting goods on the way to Bill's Outpost on Alcoa Hwy.
I'm new in the AR scene. I purchased a Bushmaster XM15 M4 in December, I love it, many tell me I could have done much better but I can't imagine any more accurate. I'm sure some have better fire control groups but I'm happy with it for my first. The xm15-m4, optic, blackhawk sling, 7 mags( 6 -30rd and 1-20rd.) hard carry case all for under 1k. I have

daustin777
03-16-2012, 08:35
W.D. Sporting goods on the way to Bill's Outpost on Alcoa Hwy.
I'm new in the AR scene. I purchased a Bushmaster XM15 M4 in December, I love it, many tell me I could have done much better but I can't imagine any more accurate. I'm sure some have better fire control groups but I'm happy with it for my first. The xm15-m4, optic, blackhawk sling, 7 mags( 6 -30rd and 1-20rd.) hard carry case all for under 1k. I have

I plan to visit CCA and Frontier on my next visit. I only brought my CC weapon on this trip, I didn't bring my range bag either.

Bimmer1
03-16-2012, 13:35
Of course you also have Bass Pro right off I-40 on exit 407. They usually have a good selection and of course........higher pricing.

daustin777
03-16-2012, 17:15
Of course you also have Bass Pro right off I-40 on exit 407. They usually have a good selection and of course........higher pricing.

I'm from South Mississippi and our Gander Mountain beats Bass Pro's price on every gun.

Our Academy Sports and Gander Mountain are located really close to each other and price match any local gun shop.

Murgatroy
03-16-2012, 19:14
Academy is the best bet going right now. Their prices on ammo are very competitive and their firearms are great too.

Coal Creek Armory has a rough reputation, but if you give them a chance, they will make a customer out of you.

Bill's is probably the best local shop of them all, great folks, great prices and just a great all around attitude.

Precision Firearms in Seymour is a joke. See below.

Frontier Firearms is a joke. On a local gun forum members have complained about service from both Precision and Frontier. The respective owners of both have come in and makde complete fools of themselves and insulted the community. Because of this, I have never visited either of these shops, nor will I before I leave Knoxville.

I hear good things about Randy's.

There is also Predator out on Papermill, they are a well respected custom smithing shop.

Gunnies is full of overblown prices and egos. I haven't been back.

Take a quick trip down to Vonore and you have Farnsworth's. Now that is a little gem of a shop that is little known, and has been known to have some very nice items.

Bass Pro and Gander Mountain are the same as anywhere else, but sometimes they have what others don't.

We have a gunshow every month, sometimes twice a month. Some really great deals to be found there among all the bad deals. If you are into reloading, there is a guy there, David, he has forgotten more about reloading than most of us will ever hope to know, and his prices are awesome.