Shallow well pump installation help??? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Shallow well pump installation help???

powderhead
03-11-2012, 17:39
I have a shallow well on my place that is 55 feet deep with water standing at about 15 feet down. I want to put a hand pump over this well. I have everything but the well seal cap and the sucker rod. The rod is my hold up. It is so expensive to buy galvanized and have it shipped in, but I can get plain carbon 7/16" steel rod for pennies a foot. This well will be used for emergencies and just for fun in the mean time. Is there anyone with experience with this? My question is whether I can get by with plain non-galvanized rod as the sucker rod. A well supply place in Texas said that some people do this but he may mean for livestock application. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

WolfNotSheep
03-12-2012, 11:20
I work on industrial pumps for a living. Whenever we have water applications we use stainless all the way. Bad news, stainless pipe is retardedly expensive...I think we get ours for roughly $300 every 16 feet; please shop around though, as we use the high end fancy stuff. If you can't/won't drop that kind of money then you should at least go with galvanized. If you use regular pipe it will corrode within a year, at least that's my experience here on the mid-east coast. Just make sure if you have to cut the pipe you do it away from your water source as when galvanized heats up sufficiently or is burned (as in heated or cut with a torch) it vents poisonous gas. It'll be fine for potable water, though.