aimpoint comp m2 and ml3 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : aimpoint comp m2 and ml3

themighty9mm
03-11-2012, 21:15
Looking at laurue tactical, what is the difference between the aimpoint comp m2 and ml3? Maybe I'm missing something but the specs look identical other than the ml3 you can choose either a 2 moa or a 4 moa dot. What am I missing?

WoodenPlank
03-11-2012, 21:29
ML series Aimpoints are not compatible with night vision. M (no L) series Aimpoints are.

As you noticed, the M3 is available with a 2MOA dot or 4MOA - the M2 is 4MOA only.

The Aimpoint PRO is another option - 2MOA dot, 3 year battery life (as opposed to 5 in the M3), and a little less expensive.

Restless28
03-11-2012, 21:34
Thanks for the info WP!

SCSU74
03-11-2012, 21:35
Depends what you plan on using it or, but the pro has been great for me. Change the battery yearly just because haha.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

themighty9mm
03-11-2012, 21:36
So the pro is like a aimpoint 2.5?

Javelin
03-11-2012, 21:37
ML series Aimpoints are not compatible with night vision. M (no L) series Aimpoints are.

As you noticed, the M3 is available with a 2MOA dot or 4MOA - the M2 is 4MOA only.

The Aimpoint PRO is another option - 2MOA dot, 3 year battery life (as opposed to 5 in the M3), and a little less expensive.

That Aimpoint Pro is one heck of a deal.

:wavey:

themighty9mm
03-11-2012, 21:38
Depends what you plan on using it or, but the pro has been great for me. Change the battery yearly just because haha.

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

HD, want to leave it on 24/7.

themighty9mm
03-11-2012, 21:40
Thanks for the info WP!
Yea, seems you and me are in the exact same boat, both indecisive, both not 100% sure what we are doing, but want to do it right the first time.. WP has helped me alot aswell.

WoodenPlank
03-11-2012, 21:40
So the pro is like a aimpoint 2.5?

More like a Comp M5, since it's the newest model in the COMP series. There's a Comp M4, but it's quite a bit more expensive, and looks quite a bit different.

themighty9mm
03-11-2012, 21:41
That Aimpoint Pro is one heck of a deal.

When they say 3 years do they actually mean that? or just kinda close to 3 years?

WoodenPlank
03-11-2012, 21:43
When they say 3 years do they actually mean that? or just kinda close to 3 years?

Put it like this: My M2 is rated at over 10,000 hours on setting #7 - which is where mine is generally parked. 10,000 hours is 416 days. As long as I dont accidentally leave it on 8 or 9 (9 is a killer) for an extended period of time, I can go about 15 months between battery changes. Yeah, if Aimpoint says 3 years, they mean 3 years.

themighty9mm
03-11-2012, 21:44
More like a Comp M5, since it's the newest model in the COMP series. There's a Comp M4, but it's quite a bit more expensive, and looks quite a bit different.
The newest but also the bargain model right? Has all the features of the M2 and more but not quite the same battery life as the M3... I think picking a optic has been more difficult than any other purchase I have made in a long while. Lol and I have only looked at 2 brands

Javelin
03-11-2012, 21:45

On the low setting that they are claiming it will. And then you swap out the battery and drive on down the road. Buy from an accredited dealer (not that company that starts with a B and ends with an H and definitely not tactical) and your unit has a 10 year warranty to boot.

themighty9mm
03-11-2012, 21:46
Put it like this: My M2 is rated at over 10,000 hours on setting #7 - which is where mine is generally parked. 10,000 hours is 416 days. As long as I dont accidentally leave it on 8 or 9 (9 is a killer) for an extended period of time, I can go about 15 months between battery changes. Yeah, if Aimpoint says 3 years, they mean 3 years.
Then I suppose the pro is the winner all things considered

WoodenPlank
03-11-2012, 21:47
The newest but also the bargain model right? Has all the features of the M2 and more but not quite the same battery life as the M3... I think picking a optic has been more difficult than any other purchase I have made in a long while. Lol and I have only looked at 2 brands

It's not a "bargain" model, it's just benefiting from refinements over time making it less expensive.

3 year battery life is *plenty,* trust me. If you're worried, spend the extra to get the LaRue 129 cantilever mount, and keep a spare battery in the mount's storage compartment. Almost 7 years of battery life between the two. :wow:

WoodenPlank
03-11-2012, 21:49
On the low setting that they are claiming it will. And then you swap out the battery and drive on down the road. Buy from an accredited dealer (not ******) and your unit has a 10 year warranty to boot.

I wouldn't call it a "low" setting, since it's generally rated based off the third brightest setting available. On level 7, my M2 is bright enough for everything but the brightest direct sunlight conditions when shooting outside.

Javelin
03-11-2012, 21:50
I wouldn't call it a "low" setting, since it's generally rated based off the third brightest setting available. On level 7, my M2 is bright enough for everything but the brightest direct sunlight conditions when shooting outside.

I was inferring to "not the high setting". I never pay attention to the clickies. I just rotate it till I can see it.

themighty9mm
03-11-2012, 21:50
It's not a "bargain" model, it's just benefiting from refinements over time making it less expensive.

3 year battery life is *plenty,* trust me. If you're worried, spend the extra to get the LaRue 129 cantilever mount, and keep a spare battery in the mount's storage compartment. Almost 7 years of battery life between the two. :wow:
Diddnt mean that in a negative way at all, sometimes I put things in blunt not quite correct terminology.

WoodenPlank
03-11-2012, 22:04
I was inferring to "not the high setting". I never pay attention to the clickies. I just rotate it till I can see it.

Fair 'nuff. 8 will definitely put a dent in a battery, and 9 puts the Aimpoints almost into EO Tech territory....

Almost. :tongueout:

Diddnt mean that in a negative way at all, sometimes I put things in blunt not quite correct terminology.

Not a problem. On the face, it does LOOK like a "bargain" model, but I have yet to hear of any significant issues with the PRO that would prove it to be anything less than a refined Comp M2/3.

Glock13
03-11-2012, 22:21
I bought the ML3 a couple of months ago and the LaRue mount. I like it a lot, but I am still an amateur when it comes to AR-15s!

MrMurphy
03-12-2012, 06:42
What Plank said.

The 2 is a hell of a scope, i carried one on active duty. The 3 series is the next generation, more options and battery life. The M-4 and Micro series are the next generation up from that and the PRO is sort of the "everyman's Aimpoint" for features at the -3 generation level from what I've seen.

You can't go wrong with any of them, the only time a 4 moa dot becomes an issue is past 200-250m or with a magnifier. I've shot all of them extensively, carried the M2 (M68) every day for 3 years, and currently use an H-1.

themighty9mm
03-12-2012, 21:07
Last question pertaining to optics. With the aimpoint seems I have 2 basic options for mounts. The straight mount and the cantilever (sp?) If I never have any intention to use a magnifyer any reason for the larue canitlever? Or would the straight mount be better for me?

MrMurphy
03-12-2012, 21:43
You never know what happens, you may end up with one. I also like having the scope slightly further out. Between the LT150 and LT129, I prefer the 129. The spare battery holder is also on the side, not the bottom, slightly easier access if it ever comes to it.

WoodenPlank
03-12-2012, 22:03
You never know what happens, you may end up with one. I also like having the scope slightly further out. Between the LT150 and LT129, I prefer the 129. The spare battery holder is also on the side, not the bottom, slightly easier access if it ever comes to it.

I, too, prefer having the tube a little farther out, at least with the M2/3/PRO family optics.

I never realized the -150 had the storage compartment on it until I read this post. I don't remember ever seeing a photo of it on the old LaRue website.

Even knowing the straight mount has the storage compartment, I still prefer the -129.

themighty9mm
03-12-2012, 22:34
I, too, prefer having the tube a little farther out, at least with the M2/3/PRO family optics.

I never realized the -150 had the storage compartment on it until I read this post. I don't remember ever seeing a photo of it on the old LaRue website.

Even knowing the straight mount has the storage compartment, I still prefer the -129.
Why is this? More eye releif? Or so you can leave your options open?

MrMurphy
03-13-2012, 00:05
In my case, options open (the cantilever also works with night vision) and pushing it out slightly with the larger tube optics tend to clutter up the view less for some. Never was an issue with me using the factory QRP mount either, but if it's no penalty, sure why not.

WoodenPlank
03-13-2012, 00:36
For me it's because the forward positioning keeps it from blocking as much of my view. I don't run NV or a magnifier, but it's nice knowing there is more room for one should I ever decide to add it.