What's My AR Worth Right Now? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What's My AR Worth Right Now?

Nalapombu
03-12-2012, 01:22
Hey all,

Years ago while the Assault Weapons Ban was in effect I traded a target rifle and some stereo stuff for a COLT Lightweight Sporter AR. It was brand new without the box. I have been pals with the guy that owned it for many years. I had never been into AR's, but I liked them. I just put it up and never shot it. I still have it and I have put maybe 10 rounds through it just to function check it. Still have no box though.

Anyway, I would LOVE to have a Colt LE6920. That's the AR I want. I seen a recent thread that proved that they are now being sold at select Wally Worlds for about $975 or so. I thought that looked like good news as the price of the 6920 seemed to have dropped a bit from the last time I checked.

So can you all give me a good idea how much my Colt AR is worth? I'd prolly be better off trying to sell mine and buying the 6920 outright versus trying to trade it into a 6920, I'd no doubt get hosed. Wouldn't you think so?

Of course there are other AR's that I really like too, but they are MUCH more expensive than the Colt 6920 and many people say the 6920 is one of the best choices to make in the AR world.

Suggestions?

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2012, 04:11
Light weight Sporter should bring about $850, possibly a bit
more. Do NOT trade it in, dealer will screw you worse than
a care salesman!

samuse
03-12-2012, 04:48
If it's a pre-ban then you'll probably do ok selling it to someone in a ban-state for 8 or 900.

If it's a ban-compliant one, good luck.

Bren
03-12-2012, 05:39
Of course there are other AR's that I really like too, but they are MUCH more expensive than the Colt 6920 and many people say the 6920 is one of the best choices to make in the AR world.

Suggestions?

Thanks for the time.

Nalajr

You have an AR. It's modular, why trade it? You can change anything you want on it with few tools, in minutes. Want a different stock? 5 minutes work and $50 in parts from a gun show. Want a different upper? Buy the whole upper for less than you'd pay to trade guns and you then have 2 that you can swap in about 3 seconds. You can get a full upper exactly like the Colt you want, and stick it on that lower. Try Double Star for excellent barrels and parts.

pag23
03-12-2012, 07:08
I would keep what you have..... it's a Colt

RatDrall
03-12-2012, 11:12
If it is in like new condition, you should be able to sell it in an AWB state for $1000 or more.

Before you buy another carbine, do yourself a favor and shoot an AR with a mid length gas system, the gentle recoil and extra handguard are noticable...

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2012, 11:46
Best suggestion woulf be keep the lower, sell the upper & buy
a Colt 6920 upper. Personally, I would simply configure the
upper how I wanted it,.....keeping ALL original parts!

Glock 1
03-12-2012, 12:29
I am a very "buy it new as it should be and don't piece it together" kind of guy. I always have been and its taking some time to get out of that when it comes to guns.

However, these guys here have steered me in the right direction in my trade deal I had for my LE6920 and they know their stuff. I am very confident I got a good deal. Even cheaper than building one myself.

If money is an issue, listen to them. If not, sell it and get a new one.

I will say this much, they are not near as complicated as they look. Much like the Glock, once you get into it you will be amazed at the simple design.

Good luck and post pics with whatever you get. Hell, post pics for no reason, I love pics. :supergrin:

CAcop
03-12-2012, 12:54
A guy at work was pretty much in the same boat as you.

He ended up taking the upper off and putting a Colt LE6920 upper he managed to find.

He used the other upper on another lower for his wife.

LA_357SIG
03-12-2012, 13:28
If it were me, I would just buy a flat top upper receiver and M4 stock kit from Bravo Company and have a local guy swap it out. Lightweight barrels are all the rage these days.

Or your other option would be to part it out. there is a market for Colt A1 and A2 upper receivers. Colt A2 stocks also sell fast.

bullittmcqueen
03-14-2012, 07:23
Why get rid of one Colt for another? Makes no sense. Get another Colt upper in whatever configuration you want and just switch between uppers with your current lower.

My personal philosophy is to never get rid of a gun I have legally registered. You can never have to many and you never know when it'll get harder to acquire them.

ArmoryDoc
03-14-2012, 08:13
Keep that Colt ! Buy you a Colt SP6920 for $980.00 and call it good. That Colt will just keep appreciating and you'll appreciate that you have it. You already have the money in it so you're not out anything. Sit on it I say.

Combatcomm
03-14-2012, 10:28
My personal philosophy is to never get rid of a gun I have legally registered. You can never have to many and you never know when it'll get harder to acquire them.

Good philosophy, I need to learn to hold myself to it.

Cole125
03-14-2012, 19:30
Just buy a Colt 6920 upper and use it on your older Colt lower. You will get screwed if you try to sell your old rifle no question.

samuse
03-14-2012, 19:47
Here's why I'd sell it:

1) Has front takedown screw. You cannot just throw any upper on it.

2) Has sear block. You cannot use any regular bolt carrier. It has to be fully neutered for the Colt sear block.

3) Has .170" trigger and hammer pins.

LA_357SIG
03-15-2012, 02:06
Here's why I'd sell it:

1) Has front takedown screw. You cannot just throw any upper on it.

2) Has sear block. You cannot use any regular bolt carrier. It has to be fully neutered for the Colt sear block.

3) Has .170" trigger and hammer pins.

Daniel Defense and Colt made "Big Hole" flat top upper receivers. They may be hard to find, but they do exist.
https://danieldefense.com/big-hole-upper-receiver-assembly-b.html