AR15 Optics. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : AR15 Optics.

SoM3_Idi0t
03-12-2012, 07:18
I recently purchased a Spikes Tactical AR15.

Im looking to buy some type of optic but Im not sure where to begin.

Ive looked at major brands like Trijicon/ Leupold/ Nikon. Ive read that NcStar is kinda like the Payless Shoes of optics.

Id love to have an ACOG, but for $1300, I can build another AR.

Im looking to shoot at max distance, and Im not sure on what some of the technical stuff as far as Power/ 1x/4x and so on, so please dont rip on me to bad .....

Glock 1
03-12-2012, 12:41
Nice gun choice. I am an AR noob so I don't have any advice for you but welcome and good luck. These AR people know their stuff. :wavey:

Roger1079
03-12-2012, 13:13
You can also put the Eotech 3x magnifier behind an Eotech 516. That setup can be had for about $800 and gives you both the flexibility of close range targeting as well as longer range. Just a thought.

eclark53520
03-12-2012, 13:14
I recently purchased a Spikes Tactical AR15.

Im looking to buy some type of optic but Im not sure where to begin.

Ive looked at major brands like Trijicon/ Leupold/ Nikon. Ive read that NcStar is kinda like the Payless Shoes of optics.

Id love to have an ACOG, but for $1300, I can build another AR.

Im looking to shoot at max distance, and Im not sure on what some of the technical stuff as far as Power/ 1x/4x and so on, so please dont rip on me to bad .....

What is 'max distance' to you?

Most people that shoot at long ranges, have figured out that $1300 is cheap for an optic.

You don't strike me as a long distance shooter.

K. Foster
03-12-2012, 13:27
Don’t know what you consider “max distance” or what your budget is but a 3x9 variable is a very versatile scope Nikon and Burris are good brands and you’ll never go wrong with a Leupold. With optics, you really do get what you pay for. Get a good set of picatinny rings or a quick detach mount from ADM or Larue and you’ll be set.
This might be a place to start. http://swfa.com/Riflescopes-C1443.aspx

LA_357SIG
03-12-2012, 13:37
Considering the average U.S. military soldier can shoot >300m with iron sights (at least when I was in), max range is debatable unless specified. With a 16" carbine, 3-9x power is probably overkill. The military and "tactical civilian" standard seems to be 4x.

So with that out of the way, your most cost effective solution would be something like a Leupold "AR" 3-9x scope with LaRue or AMD QD scope base. Vortex Optics is another low cost<quality brand you might consider.

OdinIII
03-12-2012, 14:08
The cheapest scope that I would want for general AR use would be a Burris MTAC. For doing what a "tactical" AR is designed for it is close to ideal. I think there are a few other reasonably priced mounts but I would get the PEPR mount also.

jrs93accord
03-12-2012, 15:17
Which Spikes AR15 do you have? The optic you would use will be dependent on the weapon profile. You also make reference to "max distance". 16" and 20" profiles are going to have different maximum ranges. Also, what is the intended purpose for the AR?

BBJones
03-12-2012, 15:38
16" and 20" profiles are going to have different maximum ranges.

Not that much a difference at all. Just different hold overs. Good 16" and 20" can both make hits on torso size targets out to 800 yards.

Patriot III
03-12-2012, 15:59
I did some research on Pentax and found that they are affiliated with Burris. Good bang for the buck. This is a 4X16X50.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i90/TedG954/Recce.jpg

PEC-Memphis
03-13-2012, 16:38
I just put a TAC30 on an M&P 15 (1-4x). I'm pretty pleased with it so far.

During sight-in, I shot a 3/4 MOA group at 100 yards @ 4 power (handheld from bench, no sand bags, etc.). Yes, the center dot is 4 MOA (IIRC), but the other markings help alignment.

1x is a true 1x - easily shot both eyes open. Except for the eye alignment and eye relief, shooting at 1x both eyes open is functionally the same as an EOTech. When the recticle is illuminated - you can see the recticle without "perfect" alignment, ie. even if the image through the scope may be blacked out, because you have your other eye open - the illuminated recticle will appear on target - and shoot at, or nearly at, point of aim.

The alignment and eye relief are pretty generous. The glass is exceptionally bright, although there is some pin-cushion distortion (most people wouldn't notice - but a good photographer is likely to notice).

Some people don't like the push-button switch for on-off and brightness control; but I do not find it burdensome, works fine for me. I'm told that the MTAC is more rugged, but the TAC30 seems to be pretty well built and it has a "forever" warranty.

The scope is made in the Philippines, where many of the Pentax products are made, so I can believe that there may be an affiliation.

r3dot
03-13-2012, 18:22
subscribed

Cole125
03-13-2012, 19:17
If you want a AR15 optic similar to the ACOG but not quite as pricey look into the Burris AR-332. It is pretty much a battery powered ACOG, its 3x, and has a BDC reticle out to 500 yards, best of all its only $300. http://www.burristactical.com/ar332.html

I really like mine.

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm245/jcole_08/IMG_0019.jpg

TrueGunNut
03-13-2012, 20:06
I have one m4 profile AR15. It serves as a paper-puncher-plinker and a SHTF AR15. Sounds like your's will fill the same roles (jack of all trades).

I had always been fascinated by the Trijicon ACOG's battery-free fiber optic/tritium concept and got myself an ACOG 1.5x16mm TA44SG-10. Very happy with it.

It is compact, lightweight and works about like a red dot sight BUT has a tad bit of mag. Great for a 16" carbine IMO.

SoM3_Idi0t
03-13-2012, 21:14
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/THCKuma123/spikes.jpg

Thanks for the replies!
Sorry for the lack of info, so heres a bit more.

Heres a picture......Nothing special just a naked Spikes, right now. Barrel is 16in.

It would mainly be a paper-puncher-plinker as Cole125 said. Im thinking that I would like to shoot more at long range targets. I live in MD so I think the only place around here has a 300yrd tagets.

Ive been reading that a 16in can go 600yrds or more? So I would like something to match what the rifle could possibly max out at. Why not?

So with that said do I need to look at scopes with 4X
...cause now I will have more questions. =(

I guess my price range is say 300-500 600 maybe.

Cole125 Ive looked at Burris 536 on the net and it looks nice. Ive also looked at the 332. Both look nice.

I will look over the scopes you all have pointed out and be back with more questions.

Thanks again for letting me pick your brains.

WoodenPlank
03-13-2012, 21:19
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/THCKuma123/spikes.jpg

Thanks for the replies!
Sorry for the lack of info, so heres a bit more.

Heres a picture......Nothing special just a naked Spikes, right now. Barrel is 16in.

It would mainly be a paper-puncher-plinker as Cole125 said. Im thinking that I would like to shoot more at long range targets. I live in MD so I think the only place around here has a 300yrd tagets.

Ive been reading that a 16in can go 600yrds or more? So I would like something to match what the rifle could possibly max out at. Why not?

So with that said do I need to look at scopes with 4X
...cause now I will have more questions. =(

I guess my price range is say 300-500 600 maybe.

Cole125 Ive looked at Burris 536 on the net and it looks nice. Ive also looked at the 332. Both look nice.

I will look over the scopes you all have pointed out and be back with more questions.

Thanks again for letting me pick your brains.

For 300+ yards, your biggest problems will come from A) ammo (don't use crap ammo), B) optic (gotta see the target to hit it - shooting man-sized steel at 500 is very different than shooting MOA groups), and C) you.

I believe it was Javelin that posted photos of his targets at 500+ yards with a 12.5" SBR with an ACOG. He was shooting silhouettes, though, not tiny little bullseyes.

If you wanna shoot man-size targets, then a 4X ACOG should do just fine for you. If you wanna hit 5" bullseyes at 500, you're gonna need a lot more magnification.

Cole125
03-13-2012, 21:39
What WoodenPlank said. Scopes like the ACOG or Burris 332 are minute of man scopes past 200 yards. Combat scopes, not the best to try to print the smallest group possible.

If you want to go for small groups, at longer ranges a 4-12x scope with a BDC reticle like the Nikon M223 is the name of the game.

MrMurphy
03-14-2012, 02:53
I've hit man silhouettes with boring regularity using a 3.5X ACOG at 500m with a SCAR-17.

A Spikes......300m with even half decent ammo can make minute of Communist using a 4X or so. A 2-7X Leupold VX-II is a good intermediate price range scope capable of lots. Don't discount the lower end Nikon and Burris's though, a Burris 3-9X I have on a Mauser gives excellent service for $200.

SoM3_Idi0t
03-14-2012, 04:57
Awsome info guys.

Im jotting down questions, please excuse if they scattered.

Some things Ive noticed on some of the scopes:

The Burris 332/536 catches my eye. I like it. It looks like its made for an AR.
While Im fimilar with Nikon/Leupold (pardon the ignorance) but they look more for a bolt action type gun. Can they handle the AR? Hmmm I guess I mean they look kinda of fragile.....how rugged are they?

How do you guys like the scopes with batteries? Im not sure I like to depend on a battery. I understand they last awhile even if left on. If the battery does die, is your reticle still there?

I like the BDC 600 Reticle of the M-223 lineup. It looks clean/crisp compared to that of the Burris 536..... but this is just looking at them on the net and judging by a picture.

If I went the burris route, you can add the fastfire to it. And also seen a fastfire attached to a Nikon/Leupold type scope. Is this necessary?

I dont want my gun to end up like this.......
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e148/THCKuma123/geared_out_AR15.jpg?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions.

WoodenPlank
03-14-2012, 05:24
Variable scopes with illuminated reticles still work without the battery. You only lose the illumination aspect of it with a dead battery.

Noblinger
03-15-2012, 21:53
Leatherwood CMR 1-4x24 - $350 ish

Mueller Speed Shot 1-424 (http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-quickdot-1-4x24) - $180 - $250

Do you REALLY need a $1200 optic to punch paper?

Javelin
03-15-2012, 22:09
I believe it was Javelin that posted photos of his targets at 500+ yards with a 12.5" SBR with an ACOG. He was shooting silhouettes, though, not tiny little bullseyes.

I wish it was me. But sadly we don't even have a 500yard range here in my area.

:couch:

cyphertext
03-15-2012, 22:20
I wish it was me. But sadly we don't even have a 500yard range here in my area.

:couch:

Ya you do buddy...well, sorta in your area. Within about an hour?

http://www.topgunshootingclub.com/

Javelin
03-15-2012, 22:42
Ya you do buddy...well, sorta in your area. Within about an hour?

http://www.topgunshootingclub.com/

Thanks cyphertext!

:wavey:

Cole125
03-15-2012, 22:51
Awsome info guys.

Im jotting down questions, please excuse if they scattered.

1. If the battery on the Burris AR332 goes out you still have a black reticle like a traditional rifle scope. And yes, the Burris AR series of scopes are made for AR15s.

2. Traditional rifle scopes do just fine on AR15s with the correct hight scope rings which is high or ultra high.

3. The Burris AR332 is a great scope for plinking, like a red dot but a little more magnification. Plain and simple its fun shooting a AR with this scope.

Cole125
03-15-2012, 22:55
Leatherwood CMR 1-4x24 - $350 ish

Mueller Speed Shot 1-424 (http://muelleroptics.com/mueller-quickdot-1-4x24) - $180 - $250

Do you REALLY need a $1200 optic to punch paper?

The Burris Tac 30 is a good option in the 1-4 scope category too, but you will need a $100 mount to use it on a AR.

Oh yeah, one question of yours I forgot to answer regarding the Burris Fastfire II. I tried mounting one on top of my AR332 scope and found it simply not needed. The eye relief on the AR332 is so good and the reticle is so fast to pick up, a red dot is not needed on top of it. However, on the 5x model it way come in handy.