Sig Sauer 238 owner opinions please. [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Sig Sauer 238 owner opinions please.

2-8 Marine
03-12-2012, 11:53
I just returned home from a morning that was supposed to be a browsing excursion of local gunshops. Well, you know how that goes, instead, on an impulse buy I picked up a Sig Sauer P238, Copperhead, 380 auto. I just couldn't resist. I own a couple other Sigs so I know they're quality weapons but I don't really know too much about the 238. I liked the size and the design of this gun and it looks to be usual Sig quality. Anyone care to express their opinion good or bad or anything I should know about the 238?

M2 Carbine
03-12-2012, 14:20
Anyone care to express their opinion good or bad
Well since you asked. It was one of the worst expensive guns I've ever owned. I spent more time and money trying to get the gun reliable enough to carry (never did) that I would have been money ahead if I had thrown the gun out the car window on the way home the day I bought it.

Too bad to because I am a big 1911 fan and I really like the little "1911".

Sorry, but you asked.

series1811
03-12-2012, 14:31
Is it supposed to be a copy of the Colt Mustang?

collim1
03-12-2012, 14:37
I had the opposite experience of M2. I bought my father a P238 last year and it has proven to be a very reliable gun. I cant recall having one single failure to cycle. It shoots like a much bigger gun. Very soft shooting and accurate.

I am a big fan of the jframe and not so much the small pocket autos, so I didn't have high hopes for the gun when dad got his heart set on one. I must say after shooting it I was very impressed.

BTW I lube the slide rails and around the exterior of the barrel with a dab of grease just like I do all my other Sigs.

Good luck, I am sure you will be pleased with it. Dad's feeds FMJ and JHP equally reliable.

ak103k
03-12-2012, 14:37
Mine did this a lot......

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0d903b3127ccefaf8656b2bf200000030O00CYuWbdo5bsQe3nwk/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0d903b3127ccefaf8595caaeb00000030O00CYuWbdo5bsQe3nwk/cC/f%3D0/ps%3D50/r%3D0/rx%3D550/ry%3D400/

And when it wast doing that, it was constantly eating brass to the point it wasnt reloadable.

Other than that....... I took a beating and traded it for a 26. :)

eracer
03-12-2012, 14:40
I tried to talk a young lady friend of mine out of buying one last weekend. She had asked me to help her pick a carry weapon, and her emotional attachment to the gun ("It 'feels' right," and, "It's a Sig") made her buy it.

I hope it works out well for her.

Dave.1
03-12-2012, 14:49
It was sort of a copy of the Colt Mustang. I know the early ones would take Mustang magazines and a few other parts.

The early ones did have some feed/ejection problems but from what I've heard the newer ones are great.

The indoor range I belong to has a rental (and you know it gets abused and not cleaned often) and that rental has helped sell them quite a few 238s and produced many happy customers. I'd buy one myself but they are a little pricey for me right now.

Hope you enjoy shooting it!

Dave

2-8 Marine
03-12-2012, 15:30
It was sort of a copy of the Colt Mustang. I know the early ones would take Mustang magazines and a few other parts.

The early ones did have some feed/ejection problems but from what I've heard the newer ones are great.

The indoor range I belong to has a rental (and you know it gets abused and not cleaned often) and that rental has helped sell them quite a few 238s and produced many happy customers. I'd buy one myself but they are a little pricey for me right now.

Hope you enjoy shooting it!

Dave

Thanks Dave and others who replied. I'm gonna' be taking it to the range tomorrow morning and try a few different types of ammo through it. I really like the feel, the weight and function of the little auto. I've cycled a mag or two through by hand and it seems to work very smoothly. I guess tomorrow I'll know for sure. :wavey:

mitzer
03-12-2012, 18:44
I bought one about a year ago for a pocket carry gun ... it's been very reliable.

I shoot it about once a month and it has never had a malfunction (about 500 rounds).

xmanhockey7
03-13-2012, 08:28
I LOVE mine. Smooth shooter.

CMG
03-13-2012, 08:54
I've had no trouble from mine... eats everything without failing to feed, fire or eject. Being a locked-breech design makes it one of the easiest of the small autos to control for fast follow-up shots.

http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b175/pb9x19/1911s/SigP238rw.jpg

2-8 Marine
03-13-2012, 13:54
I bought a Copperhead, 238 yesterday and took it to the range this morning. I was extremely pleased with the quality and workmanship on this little Sig. I was greatly impressed by the accuracy, smoothness in functioning and general operation. It performed flawlessly. It put away a box of (50) Remingtom, FMJ like nothing and then did just as well with a box (20) Hornady, Critical Defense, 90 grain. Not one FTF or FTE. I found the recoil to be well within manageable limits and I had no difficulty with followup shots through the entire magazine. The gun looks good, conceals nicely, carries comfortably and the quality is excellent. I can't find anything I didn't like about the gun. Well there is one thing that bothered me a little, the cost of additional mags is $46.00 each from Sig. Way overpriced in my estimation. I should mention that I particularly liked the fact that you can drop the mag, pull back the slide and eject the round in the chamber with the safety still on. That is one great safety feature. I'll be using it as my EDC weapon with complete confidence.

NeverMore1701
03-13-2012, 14:00
Mine has been 100% over about 800 rounds now. Great trigger for a pocket gun, superbly accurate for its size, with real night sights. It's my GF's favorite gun to shoot, very light recoil. Spare Colt Mustang mags are only about $15-$20 each and work fine. I did switch the trigger out for a steel one.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-xttkBiJK7NE/TsA6BhLibtI/AAAAAAAAAOg/KQkSl-juykc/s1600/IMG_1822.JPG

sourdough44
03-13-2012, 14:01
I just hooked up with mine yesterday, Gunbroker buy. I like it. I 1st broke it down,cleaned it & gave it a light lube. I shot my reloads, 100 grn plated RN with 3.2 grns of win 231, & then I did some Speer 90 grn GD's. My loads averaged 750fps, the Speer loads 950 fps over my chrony..

I also bought 2 other magazines from Midway, one a Colt & the other a Metalform, about $20 each. They both worked fine, they are marketed for the Mustang.

I had heard some scuttlebut that P238s with a date of May 2010 & earlier had some problems. Mine was dated summer of 2011.

Dave.1
03-13-2012, 14:17
2-8 Marine, glad you went ahead and got it and that it worked so well.

See if you can find someone that owns a Colt Mustang and try those mags. Don't know if they'll work on a newer model but I know they're cheaper.

Happy shooting!

Dave

Dave.1
03-13-2012, 14:50
Here's a pic of Colt Mustang magazines to see if they might do. These are Colt factory mags.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/darock2/Magazinesweb.jpg

I got them here a couple of years ago.
http://www.gunclips.net/coltgvtmustang.html

I'm sure I don't need to tell you but I'll say it any way. I would not use them in your Sig for defensive carry. Even if they do fit I would only use them to save reloading constantly at the range.

Dave

2-8 Marine
03-13-2012, 16:47
Here's a pic of Colt Mustang magazines to see if they might do. These are Colt factory mags.
http://i1103.photobucket.com/albums/g466/darock2/Magazinesweb.jpg

I got them here a couple of years ago.
http://www.gunclips.net/coltgvtmustang.html

I'm sure I don't need to tell you but I'll say it any way. I would not use them in your Sig for defensive carry. Even if they do fit I would only use them to save reloading constantly at the range.

Dave

Thanks Dave, my thoughts exactly. I will order 2 just to see how they work for range use. I did find new, Sig Mfg mags at Top Gun Supply for about $31.95 each. I ordered one and should receive it in a few days. :wavey:

Wetrudgeon
03-13-2012, 17:22
We traded for a P238 two weeks ago and so far like it. Admittedly only 50 rounds down range, but flawless function and very accurate for a little bitty pocket gun. It was pricey and the trigger is a little stiff.

sappy13
03-13-2012, 20:58
i love my p238. I havent had any issues with it yet. im not exactly a bullseye shooter with it, but i can live with that for now considering the size and use.