Weapon Diversification? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Diversification?

III_M1KE_III
03-12-2012, 15:40
DISCLAIMER: I think I’ve been watching too many of these “Doomsday Prepper” shows on TV!

I’ve been trying to diversify my home arsenal to prepare for various scenarios. Currently I own the following weapons:

a) 5.56mm AR-15
b) 12Ga Rem 870
c) 45ACP RIA 1911
d) 9mm Glock 26

I like to have a diverse collection of weapons to assure that in a situation where ammunition and/or replacement parts becomes limited (i.e. natural disaster, loss of infrastructure, riots, etc.) I have a weapon or backup weapons that I can keep functional for as long as possible. Living in an urban environment my focus is Close Quarter Battle (CQB) arms.

One of my primary concerns as it applies to diversification of weapons pertains to the availability of ammunition. As such, I try to stay focused on widely available calibers. I had planned to limit my pistols to 45ACP and 9mm calibers. I keep the 45ACP 1911 as MY primary handgun for self-defense. I purchased the 9mm Glock 26 primarily for my WIFE to use and become familiar with as the 1911 recoil is too much for her to handle.

More recently, I’m finding myself interested in the 40S&W caliber. With more LE agencies adopting this caliber it is becoming as ubiquitous as 9mm and 45ACP with regards to availability.

I am now in the market for a third handgun and am debating if I should diversify with a new 9mm pistol from a new manufacturer (i.e. the M&P9c) or a new caliber from a familiar manufacturer (i.e. the Glock 27) or a new caliber/manufacturer (i.e. the M&P40c).

My thoughts on these three options are as follows. I've ranked the options in order of my current preference:

(#1) 40S&W Glock 27:
I really like the Glock 26 (I have the Gen4 version) and would love to get a G27 with the added punch of the 40S&W caliber. I’m nervous about needing to now stock a third pistol caliber ($$$), but like the idea of diversification. There is some interchangeability of the internal G26 and G27 parts as well as many of the accessories (holsters, etc.) which helps provide some redundancy should I need to cannibalize parts to get one of the two pistols back up and running in the event of a failure.

One concern I have with the G27 is that it is nearly identical to the G26 and I’m concerned about my wife or I trying too slam a magazine of 9mm cartridges into the G27, or vice-versa, while trying to gain my composure after being startled awake in the middle of the night. There are ways to mitigate this (i.e. different colored mag floor plates, extensions, etc.) however, it still remains a concern.

(#2) 9mm M&P9c:
I’ve been eye-balling this gun for a while and almost bought one last week. I like the idea of supporting an American made product. I love the grips on this gun, but don’t care much for the trigger design/action. I like the idea of diversifying with a different manufacturer. Should there be a shortage of Glock parts due to some catastrophic event, I like that I would have a second brand to serve as a backup.

I also suspect that my wife will prefer to shoot this gun due to the grip design compared to the G26. Also, the G26 tends to eject empty cases at her face approximately 10% of the time (yes….she’s probably limp-wristing) and I’m hoping the M&P9c won’t. As we don’t have access to renting or borrowing a M&P9c, I cannot verify this prior to purchasing.

(#3) 40S&W M&P40c or M&P40 or M&P40 Pro Series:
This purchase would be the ultimate in diversification. I tend to associate Glock with 9mm and Smith & Wesson with 40cal, so this might be the best solution yet. I would have a Glock chambered in the caliber they were originally designed for…. and a S&W Military & Police pistol chambered in a caliber now heavily being favored by “Police”. The only downside here is that I’m on the fence regarding the compact, full-size, or Pro Series.

I like the M&P40c frame for concealment, while the Pro Series is ideal for target acquisition and recoil management. This brings about a whole different set of pros/cons I don’t even want to have to worry about right now.

Is there anything else I’m overlooking? The best answer (to me)….is to buy them all! However, due to the fact that I value my marriage and my wife is getting tired of me buying new guns… this next purchase will be the last one for a while. As a result, I want to make the best possible purchasing decision so as to minimize regret.

Any input you may have on my dilemma is GREATLY APPRECIATED! Thanks for reading my post.

- M1KE

cowboy1964
03-12-2012, 15:47
Don't get into a new caliber primarily because you think you can get ammo for it should the thousands of rounds you should already have will dry up and you won't get any more.

If you can't get 9mm or 45, odds are you won't be able to get .40 either. And realistically speaking, you'll be dead long before you run out of ammo.

Use the money to buy spare parts and more ammo in the calibers you already have. You're better off creating a homogenous "system", eg, stick with Glock 9mms. Common magazines, spare parts, etc.

All that said, you can get a .40 and get a 9mm conversion barrel for not a whole lot of money.

PlasticGuy
03-12-2012, 16:00
Diversification is overrated for your concerns. If you have three completely different types of handguns, with three types of magazines, taking three types of ammo, you are one link away from a useless type of weapon. Run out of that caliber, lose that type of mag, or break any part in that handgun, and you can toss out the entire platform.

I think it would be more prudent to duplicate what you have, and stock extra parts and ammo for them. Break something, and you can fix it and carry on.

JoeCitizen
03-12-2012, 16:06
During the big run on ammo a few years ago there was a number of time I could find .40s&w at walmart when they were out of 9 and 45. Maybe it was just my neck of the woods or something but it did happen several times. I've always believed caliber diversification only makes sense. The big run on ammo only solidified that belief. I'll never limit my capability to just one pistol or rifle ammo.

To me having a GLOCK in the 3 main calibers only makes sense. Parts available everywhere, easy to work on, lots of models interchange most of the parts. Parts are cheap too so it's cheap to build up spares kits. No down sides really. Holsters easy to come by too.

TN.Frank
03-12-2012, 16:12
Learn to reload and cast bullets. Stock Primers, Powder and Wheel Weights and you can cobble together any round you'd care to keep dies and a bullet mold for. :supergrin:

III_M1KE_III
03-12-2012, 16:13
Great points! I definately hear what the two of you are saying. I was even considering just buying a 2nd Glock 26. One to keep at the house at all times and the other to take along with me in the car. Perhaps I may just go that route....

WarEagle32
03-12-2012, 16:19
I'd stay with the calibers I have and invest in more and more ammo for the 9's and 45. Those are the two calibers that I have yet I have a lot of pistols. Mostly nines!

III_M1KE_III
03-12-2012, 16:27
I live in a major city (San Diego, CA) and I've had the same problem. 45ACP ball ammo will be completely sold out at all of the local retailers and I'm forced to buy extremely expensive defensive rounds.... or skip out on the range that week. It's happened to me on a few occasions at Walmart, Big 5, and Turner's.

During the big run on ammo a few years ago there was a number of time I could find .40s&w at walmart when they were out of 9 and 45. Maybe it was just my neck of the woods or something but it did happen several times. I've always believed caliber diversification only makes sense. The big run on ammo only solidified that belief. I'll never limit my capability to just one pistol or rifle ammo.

To me having a GLOCK in the 3 main calibers only makes sense. Parts available everywhere, easy to work on, lots of models interchange most of the parts. Parts are cheap too so it's cheap to build up spares kits. No down sides really. Holsters easy to come by too.

III_M1KE_III
03-12-2012, 16:31
You sir are genius....and I'm dying to get into reloading. I'm just worried about adding another expensive and time-consuming hobby to my repertoire.

My wife hates all the time I spend tinkering with and cleaning my guns in the garage. If I start spending time out there reloading…… I may very well end up a bachelor in no time flat!

Learn to reload and cast bullets. Stock Primers, Powder and Wheel Weights and you can cobble together any round you'd care to keep dies and a bullet mold for. :supergrin:

ronin.45
03-12-2012, 17:20
You already have 4 of the most common/popular calibers around. Stick with what you have and buy more ammo. In the extremely unlikely event of a catostrophe I'd rather have ammo in my house than a bunch of different guns that I need to scrounge ammo for. You can't be sure you'd have a chance to even search for ammo, let alone find any.

Zombie Steve
03-12-2012, 17:32

He's in California. Ain't no lead there... everything pre-ban has been hoarded by fred. And keep your eyes off my stash. :steamed:

4 glocks
03-12-2012, 17:45
A long time ago I decided to keep guns in the same cal. so I would not need alot of diff. cal.
Shot guns 12 ga.
Rifles 5.56
Handguns 9mm, .357/.38 4 Glocks all 9mm to share ammo and mags. I keep plenty of that ammo on hand to cover my needs. Some people seem to think you need 20K to 30k of ammo on hand. I think 1k to 2k should do just fine. it dose turn into an addiction and the more you have the more you think you need.

Decguns
03-12-2012, 17:50
In a SHTF situation, reloading gear is dead weight. You're not going to be able to bug out with your RCBS or Dillon loader and 50lbs of wheel weights in your pack. I have four reloading stations in my garage, but they're not parts of my SHTF plan. Better off to invest in loaded ammo you can easily bug out with. Won't need that reloader for several generations anyway.

I wouldn't waste my time on an LE cartridge like the 40 S&W anyway. Police departments are the last guys to get ammo in an emergency and usually don't keep that much ammo on hand anyway. Better off to stick with what the military is shooting.

collim1
03-12-2012, 18:19
Dont forget about magazines!

All the ammo in the world does you no good if its not already loaded into mags.

Forget a new gun purchase, you have your bases covered. Buy 10 spare mags for each gun you own.

Angry Fist
03-12-2012, 18:22
No grenades?

III_M1KE_III
03-12-2012, 19:47
Lmao....I wish!

No grenades?

Syclone538
03-12-2012, 19:51
I would get a G19 or G17.

Or, to go in a completely different direction, everyone needs a Ruger 10/22 and 22/45.

arclight610
03-12-2012, 19:56
Diversify the location of some of your weapons. Just ask yourself this question: If your home became compromised, would you lose all of your guns?

BrewerGeorge
03-12-2012, 19:58
I've been consolidating my calibers for possible SHTF scenarios rather than diversifying. That's also the reason I went with 9mm for my basic stockpile, along with .22LR, of course.

Sounds like you have all your bases covered already.

III_M1KE_III
03-12-2012, 19:58
Since a thread with no pictures is analagous to a gun without any bullets.....here's my SHTF load out.

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/III_M1KE_III/Arsenal_December.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/III_M1KE_III/AR_December.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/III_M1KE_III/IMG_4636.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/III_M1KE_III/1911.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/III_M1KE_III/IMG_4911.jpg

http://i1057.photobucket.com/albums/t382/III_M1KE_III/IMG_4901.jpg

III_M1KE_III
03-12-2012, 20:06
Good point. I was thinking about storing a pistol in the trunk of my car near the spare tire.... but am worried about formation of rust due to moisture condensation. Does anyone else here store a weapon in their vehicle?

Diversify the location of some of your weapons. Just ask yourself this question: If your home became compromised, would you lose all of your guns?

03-12-2012, 20:06
No .22lr?

You can buy .22s just about anywhere firearms are sold. You can buy them in bulk for cheap!

.45Super-Man
03-12-2012, 20:14
If a zombie apocalypse ever comes, the most popular calibers will dry up long before the more obscure stuff.

Syclone538
03-12-2012, 20:15
Good point. I was thinking about storing a pistol in the trunk of my car near the spare tire.... but am worried about formation of rust due to moisture condensation. Does anyone else here store a weapon in their vehicle?

I wouldn't be to worried about rust with a glock, but you could soak it with oil pretty good if you were worried about it.

A gun stored in a car, is a can of worms around here that people feel strongly about. The downside is the risk of it falling into the hands of a serious criminal.

If you decide to, make sure you completely understand the laws in your area on it.

III_M1KE_III
03-12-2012, 20:18
Soon enough. When my sons are a little bit older I'll definately be purchasing a 22lr rifle and/or pistol as I begin introducing them to the shooting sports.

My friend and I go shooting quite a bit and he has a sweet Hammerli Trailside. He laughs everytime we leave because I just blew through about $50 of 45ACP and he spent a grand total of about $3. Lol!

http://gregpugliese.com/sig.jpg

No .22lr?

You can buy .22s just about anywhere firearms are sold. You can buy them in bulk for cheap!

ratf51
03-12-2012, 20:21
No .22lr?

This. With what you have right now the one thing that you really need to add at this stage is a .22lr of some sort. Just my humble opinion.

III_M1KE_III
03-12-2012, 20:23
Very true. I'm also concerned about a break-in at my house. My gun safe isn't the most secure. It will definately deter a thief.... but they could rip it from the wall and throw it in the back of a pickup if they really wanted it.

Should I ever lose a weapon it would definately be a scary thought knowing that some a-hole was running around with my firearm(s) commiting crimes.

I wouldn't be to worried about rust with a glock, but you could soak it with oil pretty good if you were worried about it.

A gun stored in a car, is a can of worms around here that people feel strongly about. The downside is the risk of it falling into the hands of a serious criminal.

If you decide to, make sure you completely understand the laws in your area on it.

ratf51
03-12-2012, 20:27
You sir are genius....

Whoa there buddy-- don't tell Frank he's a genius, we'll never hear the end of it. Its like the signs at the zoo that say "Do not feed the bears", somebody comes along and starts giving them food and suddenly their expectations go up. Oooo... setting a bad precedent here... :supergrin: :rofl: :wavey:

ithaca_deerslayer
03-12-2012, 20:40

This is a great thread, and good point about locations.

OP, if we were to think about prepping, then here's my suggestion.

3 Glock 26's. 15 mags. 3 cases of quality range ammo. 500 rounds of carry ammo.e

Your AR and your shotgun. Keep your 1911 if you want, but put all your eggs into the 9mm. Something happens, you'll have bunch. Gotta go on the road, take a bunch of 9mm and extra mags with you. Have redundacy with with several G26.

G26 is what I pick. Reliable, easy to carry, your wife can shoot it. Maxes out at 10+1 for a mag ban state. Stash them or split them between you and you wife, and maybe a family member. Any one of you will have extra mags and ammo that can be used by the other. Also can cannabalize one 26 if need parts for another.

Stay ahead on the range ammo by the case, and you shouldn't have to worry about shortages.

.45Super-Man
03-12-2012, 20:49
If you're seriously concerned about SHTF, move the handguns further down the priority list.

Syclone538
03-12-2012, 21:58
If you're seriously concerned about SHTF, move the handguns further down the priority list.

Well it depends on the S that HTF, but I generally disagree and think that for SHTF everyone in the family old enough to shoot needs a service pistol, larger then a G26. I think even if shtf you are more likely to go to the store or do stuff outside with a pistol on your hip then a rifle on your back.

John Biltz
03-13-2012, 03:49
For the price of another gun in a different caliber you could buy 2,500 rounds of 9mm and hide it away in a closet. 2,500 rounds packed away is better than hoping you can find .40 when you need it.

Bruce M
03-13-2012, 04:50
Once you get a few years worth of guns and ammo and have half a decade's worth of number ten tin cans of bacon don't forget one of these

http://www.milehidistilling.com/product_images/q/838/16049-2__75943_zoom.jpg

BrewerGeorge
03-13-2012, 05:58
Once you get a few years worth of guns and ammo and have half a decade's worth of number ten tin cans of bacon don't forget one of these

http://www.milehidistilling.com/product_images/q/838/16049-2__75943_zoom.jpg
Ok, I know what the one on the left is, obviously. What's the one on the right?

Bob Hafler
03-13-2012, 06:21
I have a few guns that are differnt from one another. Lets just leave it at that. I'm not a big believer that putting to many pics of my guns or telling everyone in the world about my guns and how many I have on the net is a particularly a good idea.

We used to have a saying when I was in the Navy. Loose Lips Sink Ships.
Just saying....

Bilbo Bagins
03-13-2012, 07:56

+1
I'm one of those people. Your more likely to have your car broken into then to live thru a zombie/mad max situation.

Personally I think the OP needs to relax.

You don't need a 40S&W. You already own a 9mm and a 45 acp. The 45 hits hard and actually recoils a little less then a 40. The 40 recoil is more snappy, so if your wife does not like the 45 she will hate the 40. Also police will never hand out ammo, so you will not be finding 40 ammo laying around. If somehow your mad max fantasy comes true, and you find a cop copses littering the streets, and they have ammo in their duty belts, the will probaly have their service pistol with them as well.

The setup you have now is fine. Unfortunately your in CA, but if you can get a CCW, get it. Maybe get a long gun for your wife, like a 9mm carbine, a 20 gauge or .410 shotgun or even a .22 rifle.

I'll be honest with you. If your in CA your risk right now is earthquakes and race riots. If you cannot get a CCW permit and feel the need to store a gun in your vehicle, get a lock box and hide it well, if its legal in your state. You don't need an AR in your trunk, just a good pistol with a few Mags. If something happens you will not get far walking thru the city streets with an longgun. A handgun can be tucked away, so you can walk thru a crowd if you need to.

Unless its the end of the world, Long guns are for home defense only.

blastfact
03-13-2012, 08:05
You sir are genius....and I'm dying to get into reloading. I'm just worried about adding another expensive and time-consuming hobby to my repertoire.

My wife hates all the time I spend tinkering with and cleaning my guns in the garage. If I start spending time out there reloading…… I may very well end up a bachelor in no time flat!

What is wrong with your wife? You could be out tinkering with other women! What would she rather you be doing with your time?

dosei
03-13-2012, 08:44
IMHO...redundancy and commonality is far better than diversity unless you're a collector. Collectors want/need diversity. Shooters want/need redundancy. Multiples of the same gun gives you spare parts and common platform. When you are at an IDPA match and your gun chokes, you want to be able to just reach into your range bag and grab out another identical gun and go...the failing gun can be dealt with later. From a prepper standpoint, it would be better to have a box of G19s than a box of different guns in different calibers. Diversity of guns/calibers means diversity of holsters, magazines, parts, etc...and that all means more $$$ and more space required for all of it (and space is also $$$).

Redundancy
Commonality
Reload

BrewerGeorge
03-13-2012, 08:53
+1
... If somehow your mad max fantasy comes true, and you find a cop copses littering the streets, and they have ammo in their duty belts, the will probaly have their service pistol with them as well. ...
That's a good point.

And guns are durable goods that will last for a long time. Ammo will not. In a true EOW situation, guns will be easier to come by than ammo after the short term.

Stockpile ammo.

TN.Frank
03-13-2012, 09:00

Depending on how much money you have to spend on reloading stuff you CAN get into something like a Dillon 550 or 650 and load up many hundreds of rounds of ammo in an hour. Check out their web site and they can give you the particulars on how many rounds but they're really great machines that make reloading so easy you could teach your kids to do it in an afternoon once you set things up for them.
I use to pull the handle on a couple Dillon 1050's at Caswell's Shooting Range in Mesa,AZ and made .02 cents for each round I loaded. I could easily crank out 3K-4K rounds in a 4 hour shift and that includes sorting out brass and loading primer tubes.

Also, back to the original idea of the thread. There are two schools of though here. You can get a lot of guns that take the same ammo and stock the crap out of that ammo BUT if you run out and can't find any to replace it you're screwed.
OR, you can get guns in many different calibers so that you should be able to always find Something that one of your many guns can shoot so you'll increase your chances of having something loaded up to defend yourself with.

My take on this is to only buy guns in calibers that are easy to get(i.e. "Walmart" calibers) and then get loading dies, bullet molds and stuff to load those calibers.
I stock primers(large pistol and small pistol) and a powder that'll work with what I'll be loading(like Unique) then I can use my wheel weights to cast bullets for whatever I'm loading and bring it all together into loaded ammo so as long as I police my brass I'll always have ammo.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-13-2012, 09:41
Also, back to the original idea of the thread. There are two schools of though here. You can get a lot of guns that take the same ammo and stock the crap out of that ammo BUT if you run out and can't find any to replace it you're screwed.
OR, you can get guns in many different calibers so that you should be able to always find Something that one of your many guns can shoot so you'll increase your chances of having something loaded up to defend yourself with.

Yes, two basic ways of looking at it. I favor redundancy for this type of stuff.

If not on the move, then it is easy to stock up whatever you need ahead of time at your current location.

But I bet a lot of EOTWAWKI situations will force you to be on the move. Which of those many different types and calibers of handguns are you going to take with you? Taking 3 on your body alone, with 3 different types of ammo, and 3 different types of mags?

Or maybe you take one, some ammo, some mags. Wife takes the same kind of gun, same type of ammo and mags. And maybe you even have a spare gun stored differently in the travel bags, or given to a family member or friend, that is the same kind of gun, same kind of ammo and mags.

The two of you, or three of you, could pass through a lot of situations (like checkpoints or encounters with others) and have a chance of coming through it with a working gun and the correct ammo and mags.

But if you had different mismatched guns, mismatched ammo and mags, when you get down the road and through some situations, what do you got left? I don't think it is practical to think you will be scrounging around for ammo and if you found some (unlikely), then open up your coat full of various guns and see which one the ammo matches. It seems like your whole outlook (you, the OP) is predicated on this happening. You seem to think there will be ammo laying around, ammo that will confound everyone else because they won't have the correct gun for it, then you show up and you've got the magic key (the correct gun the ammo fits).

But I haven't been in those situations, so I'm more clueless than the next guy. I'm just trying to use my imaginiation to think what the likely situation would be. Seems like a good idea if everyone on my team has the exact same gun and ammo and mags and holsters that fit that gun. I guess because I figure the only ammo is the stuff we brought with us. And if we find ammo along the way, we will probably find the gun that goes to it there, too.

Will there really be some hidden stashes of ammo we will find?

Haldor
03-13-2012, 19:48
...I guess because I figure the only ammo is the stuff we brought with us. And if we find ammo along the way, we will probably find the gun that goes to it there, too.

I also am with the redundancy school of thought. All of our primary SD handguns are in 9mm. We try to keep 2-3K of range ammo and 500 rounds of SD ammo on hand at all time. Ammo is cheaper in bulk and having reserves means you can avoid being gouged when prices are out of line and can stock up when you find bargains. I didn't need to buy a single round of 9mm during the big price run up a couple of years ago and we were able to maintain our normal shooting practice.

For SD ammo I really like Streicher's Police Supply. I buy my 9mm Federal HST from them at $27 a box (of 50). If you prefer, they sell Speer Gold Dot for the same price.

http://www.policehq.com/Ammunition

The most important SHTF weapon is an easily concealable pistol. That is because anything else is either going to end up either being confiscated or left at home.

There are backpack concealable long arms as well. A Keltec SUB2000 in 9mm Glock is a perfect partner to your G26.

vikingsoftpaw
03-13-2012, 20:12
Diversification is overrated for your concerns. If you have three completely different types of handguns, with three types of magazines, taking three types of ammo, you are one link away from a useless type of weapon. Run out of that caliber, lose that type of mag, or break any part in that handgun, and you can toss out the entire platform.

I think it would be more prudent to duplicate what you have, and stock extra parts and ammo for them. Break something, and you can fix it and carry on.

This ^.............. plus the fact of needing to learn a new manual of arms for each weapon.

However you are missing a .308. Buy an AR-10 pattern, as the controls are the same as the AR-15 you have.

III_M1KE_III
03-13-2012, 21:49
I think you guys are right on the money.... redundency is probably the way to go. I think that my subconscious mind was just trying to find a way to rationalize a new weapon in a new caliber.

After rationally considering this dilemma, I'm now leaning towards a second 9mm (maybe another G26 or a G19) that I can eventually hand down to one of my sons when they come of age. I'm also seriously considering an M&P9c and with the rumors floating around about an improved trigger to be released in April..... I might just wait for one of those.

I'm glad I took the time to get input from you fine gentlemen. Otherwise I may have made an impulse decision that I would probably end up regretting (financially) at a later date.

DoubleWide
03-14-2012, 00:47
Just to mess with your mind a little more. I thought of this today. What if there's a situation where there is a voluntary or forcible collection of service caliber ammo for defense of the country? Maybe you need an oddball caliber too.

TalkToTheGlock
03-14-2012, 01:40
Ak-47 or a variant.

http://img.tapatalk.com/aee34147-4b69-c609.jpg

iPhone 4

.45Super-Man
03-14-2012, 04:57
Ak-47 or a variant.

http://img.tapatalk.com/aee34147-4b69-c609.jpg

iPhone 4

This!

OctoberRust
03-14-2012, 09:24
for what you're aiming for.

two glock 19s.

An ar-15

Mossberg 500/ remington 870.

TONS of ammo, and even a gun safe.

Call it a day.

III_M1KE_III
03-15-2012, 11:10
LMAO.....I told her this last night. It didn't go over so well.

What is wrong with your wife? You could be out tinkering with other women! What would she rather you be doing with your time?

III_M1KE_III
03-15-2012, 11:11
I like the way you think. I need every possible excuse to justify to my wife why I need to buy another gun. I may use this argument one day to justify a handgun chambered for 10mm!

Just to mess with your mind a little more. I thought of this today. What if there's a situation where there is a voluntary or forcible collection of service caliber ammo for defense of the country? Maybe you need an oddball caliber too.

Syclone538
03-15-2012, 11:53

That might be the time to start using the ammo that you already have.

Angry Fist
03-15-2012, 15:19
I like the way you think. I need every possible excuse to justify to my wife why I need to buy another gun. I may use this argument one day to justify a handgun chambered for 10mm!
No justification needed for a 10MM. :wavey:

tim12232
03-16-2012, 08:34
I live in a major city (San Diego, CA) and I've had the same problem. 45ACP ball ammo will be completely sold out at all of the local retailers and I'm forced to buy extremely expensive defensive rounds.... or skip out on the range that week. It's happened to me on a few occasions at Walmart, Big 5, and Turner's.

Walmart in Clairemont was almost always out of .45 when I lived there. But when they had it, I cleaned them out :supergrin: the look on the ladies face as I purchase 400-500 rounds or more lol!!!
That or wait for the Del Mar gun show, but even that is still at times more costly than walmart! I never bout much ammo at turners or DGM.

Bilbo Bagins
03-16-2012, 08:48
Well it depends on the S that HTF, but I generally disagree and think that for SHTF everyone in the family old enough to shoot needs a service pistol, larger then a G26. I think even if shtf you are more likely to go to the store or do stuff outside with a pistol on your hip then a rifle on your back.

+1 I totally agree. top priority is a handgun. If you don't believe me read Fer Fal's book. He lived through Argentina's economic collapse and says the same thing. Same with Katrina. Unless its the Mad Max time, you are not going to be able to travel from place to place with a AR out in open without getting stopped military/law enforcement, choosen as a target by some random sniper who thinks yo are a threat, or robbed by armed thieves who like your rifle.

Handguns say at the Glock 19 size and smaller (but not too small) will rule the roost. You can carry them everywhere you go for protection, yet blend in with everyone else. Longguns are still very useful for home defense and total EOTW stuff.