Beretta 92 for carry questions [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Beretta 92 for carry questions

JoeCitizen
03-12-2012, 15:45
Anybody out there concealed carry a Beretta 92 (or Taurus equivalent) IWB? Can you manage it all day? What holster do you use?

MoneyMaker
03-12-2012, 16:34
Nope 15 rnds in a full size steel frame gun,Well it didnt work for me,hated to carry mine with OWB holster.

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2012, 17:30
Galco Classic shoulder harness works well for me!

collim1
03-12-2012, 18:37
I have in the past. I personally cannot do IWB comfortably. The Beretta 92 is a large gun that needs a good belt, leather OWB holster, and a cover garment to conceal. It can be done, but a T-shirt will likely not conceal it well.

The Beretta is a great gun, but it is a duty gun meant for open carry on a 2.25" belt. It would be fine in the winter time when wearing a coat. I would get a smaller gun for the warmer months.

The Beretta 92fs is one of my favorite handguns. Good luck with it.

ArmoryDoc
03-12-2012, 18:51
I wouldn't mind carrying the 92 but keeping it from printing is next to impossible. Nice guns for sure.

Foxtrotx1
03-12-2012, 19:04
it's doable, but the Jframe is hard to beat for comfort.

Evilriflefan
03-12-2012, 19:07
Anybody out there concealed carry a Beretta 92 (or Taurus equivalent) IWB? Can you manage it all day? What holster do you use?

Nice pistol. Carried one for work and off duty for 9 years. Having a badge didn't make me worry about who saw it beneath a shirt.

Put a "D" model hammer spring in it.

Feanor
03-12-2012, 19:38
Nope, not I! Galco "Vertical" shoulder rig.

Nakanokalronin
03-12-2012, 19:50
Hopefully Shipwreck will be here to comment since he carries a fullsize or compact 92 IWB on a daily basis.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-12-2012, 21:08
It is pretty clear that only special people can realistically CCW a 92 on a regular basis.

Such people are there. Not sure if they are just stubborn or what :rofl:

For a typical concealment, I'd pick my 17 before my 92. And I'd pick my 26 before my 17 :)

themighty9mm
03-12-2012, 23:09
It is pretty clear that only special people can realistically CCW a 92 on a regular basis.

Such people are there. Not sure if they are just stubborn or what :rofl:

For a typical concealment, I'd pick my 17 before my 92. And I'd pick my 26 before my 17 :)
Couldnt possible be its what they shoot the best could it? Why would anyone want to carry a pistol they were most proficient with... thats just crazy. What works on paper doesnt always work in the hand

carbuncle
03-12-2012, 23:19
I've carried the 92, a 5906, Ruger P85 and a Sigma .40 (the original one) concealed using various IWB holsters: it's doable if you have a good belt and find the right carry position. With that being said, I like my PPS for carry these days, but I'd be comfortable packing my 5906 concealed if need dictates.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-13-2012, 05:44
Couldnt possible be its what they shoot the best could it? Why would anyone want to carry a pistol they were most proficient with... thats just crazy. What works on paper doesnt always work in the hand
That is a good thing, stubbornly making a large gun work because they shoot it well. And not giving in to the easy carry of a smaller and lighter gun.

Just saying not many people seem to stick with it.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
03-13-2012, 07:45
I use a comptac holster IWB at the 3 o'clock position...

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g320/mistershipwreck/Carrygear2.jpg

CBennett
03-13-2012, 09:33
Nope, too big..would not want to or try to just not worth the trade offs in weight and comfort and such over a real CC size gun.

ithaca_deerslayer
03-13-2012, 09:50
Shipwreck, that looks like a nice holster. I'll think about getting one for my 92 :) What model is it called?

Agent6-3/8
03-13-2012, 10:03
I've carried fullsize and Commander sized 1911's IWB for 6 years now. I can imagine a 92 being a little harder, but not much. The key to comfortably and successfully CCW'ing big, heavy guns is a quality holster and a quality gun belt.

If I wanted to carry a 92, the first holster I'd try is a Camp-Tac MTAC. I'm also a fan of kydex reinforced belts. (currently using reinforced belts from Aker, 5.11 and Wildeness Tactical)

Sheepdog Scout
03-13-2012, 12:17
I do. In fact for IWB I use one of these. http://www.berettausa.com/products/nylon-clip-on-inside-black-holster-92-series/ It's good quality and it has worked very well for the majority of my carrying for the last year or so.

Even with just the right sized t-shirt it works well to.

HK Dan
03-13-2012, 12:25
I carried a 96 for two years in a home made wet mold leather holster. It hid well, but in the end I couldn['t get past the slide mounted safety. Next stop? HK.

NeverMore1701
03-13-2012, 12:49
Every day for over five years. Milt Sparks VMII and Wilderness Instructor's 5-Stitch 1.5" belt.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-8VSFxjm1eCQ/Tv0344_P9rI/AAAAAAAAATM/K46VUVvrKOc/s1600/IMG_2686.JPG

NeverMore1701
03-13-2012, 12:52
Nope 15 rnds in a full size steel frame gun,Well it didnt work for me,hated to carry mine with OWB holster.

Frame is alloy, and with the right mags it's a 19 round gun.

nastytrigger
03-13-2012, 13:24
I've had my 92FS since 1998. My first gun ever. Throughout the AWB, I carried it in a cheap, no brand name, nylon IWB (the type with room for an extra mag on the front).

I eventually bought a Beretta 9000S Type-D in 2003, and the 92FS was regulated to safe queen.

Post 2004, I began shooting Glock's and a 1911. 92FS is still a safe queen, but it's my first gun ever, so I won't part with it.

I carry it, rarely, in a Blackhawk Serpa, open carry, with 124gr NATO ball and 15rd mags (pretending to be in Iraq/Afghanistan). I'll occasionally do a steel match at my range with it just for fun.

WiskyT
03-13-2012, 14:05
People carry full sized guns all the time. They are like tupee's, they swear no one can tell. At a Girl Scout meeting the other night I made one of the fathers who was carrying a full sized M&P under a large football jersey. His kid pulled on his shirt and I could see it a mile away.

If your idea of concealed means working around the house and a quick trip to walmart, sure, it's concealed. Go into a bank in August with your full sized gun wearing a flannel shirt, or with it sticking through your T-shirt and call it "good" if you want. Or better yet, spend a day at the office concealing a Beretta 92, every day, and see how long it takes for someone to notice.

You'd be better served learning how to shoot a sub-compact as well as a full sized, then you can actually conceal your gun.

NeverMore1701
03-13-2012, 15:58
People carry full sized guns all the time. They are like tupee's, they swear no one can tell. At a Girl Scout meeting the other night I made one of the fathers who was carrying a full sized M&P under a large football jersey. His kid pulled on his shirt and I could see it a mile away.

If your idea of concealed means working around the house and a quick trip to walmart, sure, it's concealed. Go into a bank in August with your full sized gun wearing a flannel shirt, or with it sticking through your T-shirt and call it "good" if you want. Or better yet, spend a day at the office concealing a Beretta 92, every day, and see how long it takes for someone to notice.

You'd be better served learning how to shoot a sub-compact as well as a full sized, then you can actually conceal your gun.

I've managed just fine for five and a half years, I'll keep the accuracy, capacity, and ease to shoot, thanks.

WiskyT
03-13-2012, 16:03
I've managed just fine for five and a half years, I'll keep the accuracy, capacity, and ease to shoot, thanks.

What kind of work do you do?

JDSTG58
03-13-2012, 16:39

DAIadvisor
03-13-2012, 18:48
92 is a good duty gun, but trying to carry it concealed is quite amusing.

Shipwreck-The-Sequel
03-13-2012, 21:11
Shipwreck, that looks like a nice holster. I'll think about getting one for my 92 :) What model is it called?

It is a comptac pro undercover. Comptac discontinued it and replaced it with the Infidel. Same holster essentially - only now the clip is removable, instead of being permanently attached to the holster

DocCasualty
03-13-2012, 21:35
When I first got a PT99 back in the early '90s, I occasionally carried it in a cheap Uncle Mike's left-handed IWB holster, MOB. I would wear a sport coat or jacket and it was concealable but not comfortable. I knew a detective with a local Sheriff's dept. who carried his Beretta 92 that way on a daily basis. Driving is not comfortable at all that way and I've seen safety concerns raised as well with MOB carry.

I also tried a shoulder holster (can't remember which) and it wasn't bad, but it too was limiting by having to wear the jacket or coat at all times.

I've carried a G26 for some years now IWB and I can't imagine it getting much easier and comfortable than that.

Sheepdog Scout
03-14-2012, 02:02
Frame is alloy, and with the right mags it's a 19 round gun.

Yup, I use the Mec Gar 18 rounders.:supergrin:

Sheepdog Scout
03-14-2012, 02:06
Some of you have shamed me. You're right, even though you don't know me, my body, or my activities, or my clothes, your right. I can't conceal a 92. I'm gonna carry the all mighty Glock 26 from now on.:faint:

:rofl:

series1811
03-14-2012, 03:57
I carried one for about a year and I loved it, but my agency phased it out as a personal carry pistol (and I switched back to my P226).

But, I'm 6'3" and a mesomorph body (wide shoulders, narrow hips) so I could conceal a brick. The only compacts I ever carried were backups in ankle holsters, and I carried a G19 and a Sig 239 primarily. Again, easy to do if you are big (I used to know one agent who looked like a professional wrestler who carried a S&W Model 13 in an ankle holster and you couldn't tell).

Small guys, or ones with a little bit of a waistline problem have a real problem concealing any full size gun, from what I have seen.

It's not fair, but it is what it is.

NeverMore1701
03-14-2012, 11:05
I carried one for about a year and I loved it, but my agency phased it out as a personal carry pistol (and I switched back to my P226).

But, I'm 6'3" and a mesomorph body (wide shoulders, narrow hips) so I could conceal a brick. The only compacts I ever carried were backups in ankle holsters, and I carried a G19 and a Sig 239 primarily. Again, easy to do if you are big (I used to know one agent who looked like a professional wrestler who carried a S&W Model 13 in an ankle holster and you couldn't tell).

Small guys, or ones with a little bit of a waistline problem have a real problem concealing any full size gun, from what I have seen.

It's not fair, but it is what it is.

I think it's more body shape than size. I'my only 5'8", but have the same broad shoulders and narrow waist, which does help a lot with concealment.

faawrenchbndr
03-14-2012, 11:17
With the proper holster, belt & clothing,......even a full size Desert Eagle can be used as a CCW

JoeCitizen
03-19-2012, 08:06
Thanks for the info folks. While thinking about the 92, I came across a pristine S&W 6906 for a good price and bought it. Now I'm looking at a 92 in .40S&W. I most often carry an HK P30 IWB in a SSII. I'm thinking size wise it would be similar to the 92. But I'm thinking the 92 would be noticable heavier. Aahhh what we do to ourselves. It's a sickness, really. :)

carbuncle
03-19-2012, 08:36
Tough to go wrong with a 6906, I love mine.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Tapatalk

Italian 9x21
03-19-2012, 08:59
On duty, uniform or undercover, I must carry Beretta 92 (M9) in 9x19 (Luger) with no bug.
I find hardly carry concealed M9 so for my off duty I choose G 26 4 gen 9x21 (IMI) or Kimber Compact Stainless II 45 ACP: bulleyes never fail!
Regards

sns3guppy
03-19-2012, 11:26
I carried a 92FS for a few years, concealed, No problem. There are easier firearms to conceal, but I never had an issue with the Beretta.

Rustin
03-19-2012, 11:55
I personally could not do it. I am 150 lbs at 6'0 tall. I am just too lean to get away with it and can barely conceal my G19 as it is. I'm sure there are larger people who could easily conceal and carry a 92fs all day, everyday, 365 days a year.:cool: