Windham Weaponry [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Windham Weaponry

Ryan-17
03-12-2012, 17:23
Im on the search for my first Ar-15 and I was at the LGS today (sportsman's warehouse) and they have the S&W M&P sport for $650. The next step up was a S&W M&P OP which is a flat top AR for $950. but then the guy showed me a Windham weaponry AR-15 that looked good and seem to be pretty much what I wanted for just over $800 bucks.

but I have never heard of that brand before. anyone recommend them? or recommend something else?

Thanks in advance!!!

WoodenPlank
03-12-2012, 17:26
Im on the search for my first Ar-15 and I was at the LGS today (sportsman's warehouse) and they have the S&W M&P sport for $650. The next step up was a S&W M&P OP which is a flat top AR for $950. but then the guy showed me a Windham weaponry AR-15 that looked good and seem to be pretty much what
I wanted for just over $800 bucks.

but I have never heard of that brand before. anyone recommend them? or recommend something else?

Thanks in advance!!!

It's the company that took over the old Bushmaster plant. I believe one of the owners or board members is the former CEO of Bushmaster, pre-Freedom Group buying them out. Still pretty new to the market, haven't heard much on quality or reliability yet.

Edit: Yup. Founder of Bushmaster reopened the plant and hired back most to all of the employees that were left jobless after Bushy got bought out. Link here (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/16/windham-weaponry-bushmaster-reborn/).

faawrenchbndr
03-12-2012, 17:33
I've yet to hear any reviews about Windham.
The Bushmasters of yesteryear were outstanding!

Ryan-17
03-12-2012, 17:38
Yea I read about it being the old owner of bushmaster, It seems maybe they are still too new. but at the same time if its a company owned by the old bushmaster guy then he has got to know what he is doing right?

859.99 for a complete AR is not a bad price, and I think they have a lifetime warranty, so it might be worth a try?

RyanNREMTP
03-12-2012, 18:47
I was looking at one when I was searching for an AR. Pardon the pun but I just couldn't pull the trigger on the buy. Just the fact that I haven't heard from anyone having one or even shooting one. I didn't want to be the guinea pig.

LibertyPatriot
03-12-2012, 19:05
Local LE supply had a couple on the shelf but I didn't even look at them because I hadn't heard the crew here talking about them much.

CDW4ME
03-12-2012, 19:24
I bought the Windham flat top at a gunshow this past weekend from my "local" gunshop that had a table set up.
I paid $827 + tax.
They had the same rifle at Wal-Mart for $800 + tax.
Oh well, I supported the local shop.
I ran about 100 rounds through it without a hitch.
The trigger is better than the one on my DD, no kidding.
The bolt looks to be properly staked (looks the same to me as DD), but that is in the eye of an AR novice.
I like the rifle.

Ryan-17
03-12-2012, 19:39
I bought the Windham flat top at a gunshow this past weekend from my "local" gunshop that had a table set up.
I paid $827 + tax.
They had the same rifle at Wal-Mart for $800 + tax.
Oh well, I supported the local shop.
I ran about 100 rounds through it without a hitch.
The trigger is better than the one on my DD, no kidding.
The bolt looks to be properly staked (looks the same to me as DD), but that is in the eye of an AR novice.
I like the rifle.

Thanks for the feedback!!!!!

K. Foster
03-12-2012, 20:39
but then the guy showed me a Windham weaponry AR-15 that looked good and seem to be pretty much what I wanted for just over $800 bucks.

Thanks in advance!!!

Before I would buy that, Id look at Spikes, PSA and BCM. For a little over $100 more you could find a Colt

Ryan-17
03-12-2012, 21:30
I was just looking at stag arms and the seem reasonably priced at just over $900 bucks, but I haven't seen any at the local shops. are they online only? there are so many Ar options out there my head is starting to hurt

RyanNREMTP
03-13-2012, 07:01
I was just looking at stag arms and the seem reasonably priced at just over $900 bucks, but I haven't seen any at the local shops. are they online only? there are so many Ar options out there my head is starting to hurt

Just wait till you have a collection of furniture sitting in a box in your closet from trying something out and not liking it or finding something better. Then your head will be spinning.

cyphertext
03-13-2012, 08:01
there are so many Ar options out there my head is starting to hurt

Just like I told you in your other thread....the more you increase your budget, the more options you have. And once you cross that $800 - $900 barrier, there are many other options for "just a little more".

Ryan-17
03-13-2012, 10:53
late last night I think I remember the sales guy at the local gun shop saying that the windham weaponry AR 15's were not top notch as far as "finish" goes. I remember him showing me the finish of the windham and there were a few blemishes and kind of looked like poor finish work. I will have to go back and confirm. also one of the shops was closed yesterday so I will have to go see what they have to offer.

RyanNREMTP
03-13-2012, 11:32
late last night I think I remember the sales guy at the local gun shop saying that the windham weaponry AR 15's were not top notch as far as "finish" goes. I remember him showing me the finish of the windham and there were a few blemishes and kind of looked like poor finish work. I will have to go back and confirm. also one of the shops was closed yesterday so I will have to go see what they have to offer.

Oh really? One of my local gun shops they were talking about how the Windham was the best thing since sliced bread. :rofl:

Ryan-17
03-13-2012, 11:40
Oh really? One of my local gun shops they were talking about how the Windham was the best thing since sliced bread. :rofl:

yea seriously i remember the guy showing me the front sight and it looked like crap. ill try and go back and take a picture of it.

svtpwnz
03-13-2012, 12:21
I was in my local gun store yesterday and they had several of these rifles in stock. Of course, they were about $100 more than you can buy them anywhere else. I believe they had them for $950 and change. :rofl:

RyanNREMTP
03-13-2012, 12:46
This same shop had a really nice looking AR on the shelf. Had everything I was looking for except for it had a chrome barrel. I asked to look at it and asked what brand it was. Employee said it was Olympic Arms as she was handing it to me. I said no thanks and walked over to the bolt action rifles.

majette
03-13-2012, 21:55
This same shop had a really nice looking AR on the shelf. Had everything I was looking for except for it had a chrome barrel. I asked to look at it and asked what brand it was. Employee said it was Olympic Arms as she was handing it to me. I said no thanks and walked over to the bolt action rifles.

dont fall into that 'oly sucks' crap. mine eats everything, is extremely accurate, and made me a believer. mine had been on the shelf for years, fondled and dry fired with the upper swung open causing the bolt catch to stick. an email to the admin/oly employee from the oly forum had a replacement from west coast to east in two days. great customer service and i would purchase another or recommend one without hesitation.

they were the first colt clone and have been in the market over 30 years.

editor of soldier of fortune magazine had an olympic ar with over 100K rounds through it. tony rumore of tromix has a preban ar with over 65K rounds through it.

olympic has made parts for other, 'name brand' ar manufacturers.

olympic was the first company to produce flat-top upper receivers, free float aluminum hand guards, pistol caliber conversions, and ar15 based pistols.

they are still going strong so they must be doing something right.

country85
03-13-2012, 22:47
One of the old owners of bushmaster re bought the old plant and hired all the employees that Remington layed off is the story I heard, seem like good rifles shot one or two of em

Ryan-17
03-14-2012, 11:57

was it a chrome barrel or a chrome lined barrel? I thought chrome lined barrels were a good thing? why would you not want one?

Ryan-17
03-14-2012, 11:59
I was in my local gun store yesterday and they had several of these rifles in stock. Of course, they were about $100 more than you can buy them anywhere else. I believe they had them for $950 and change. :rofl:

yea if my shop had them for that much I wouldn't even look twice at them, the only reason I was looking at it was the 859.99 price tag.

RyanNREMTP
03-14-2012, 12:33
was it a chrome barrel or a chrome lined barrel? I thought chrome lined barrels were a good thing? why would you not want one?

Barrel was chrome on the outside. Which is a no-no for me.

cyphertext
03-14-2012, 13:05
So why did you change your mind on the M&P 15 Sport? You never came back to that thread...

Ryan-17
03-14-2012, 13:08
So why did you change your mind on the M&P 15 Sport? You never came back to that thread...

sorry about that, I just decided that a Dust cover and a forward assist are options that I want and for me its worth saving up just a bit more to get.

Ryan-17
03-14-2012, 13:10
Barrel was chrome on the outside. Which is a no-no for me.

oh okay that makes sense. to flashy for ya? lol

yea I wouldn't want a chrome barrel either

cyphertext
03-14-2012, 13:43
sorry about that, I just decided that a Dust cover and a forward assist are options that I want and for me its worth saving up just a bit more to get.

That's cool, that is why they make so many different ones. Once you move past the Sport in the M&P line, there are so many choices for the same money from other manufacturers. Good luck!

LibertyPatriot
03-14-2012, 16:24
yea I wouldn't want a chrome barrel either

Looked at one today. It's actually stainless steel. Gaudy as hell!

faawrenchbndr
03-14-2012, 17:57
They look rather well bead blasted.

WoodenPlank
03-14-2012, 18:03
They look rather well bead blasted.

I prefer ion-bonded, but bead blast satin finished stainless barrels aren't bad either.

faawrenchbndr
03-14-2012, 18:11
Ion Bond would be the best for a stainless barrel

Ryan-17
03-15-2012, 13:58
This thread has drastically changed topics... lol, anyways if anyone hears any good or bad news about Windham Weaponry let me know!

cyphertext
03-15-2012, 14:11
http://www.guntorturetests.com/2012/02/23/review-windham-weaponry-src/

Long story short, he thought they were ok, but not worth the MSRP price. The first rifle they sent him to evaluate had issues and was returned to Windham. Not sure I would spend my money with them just yet.

Ryan-17
03-15-2012, 14:29
http://www.guntorturetests.com/2012/02/23/review-windham-weaponry-src/

Long story short, he thought they were ok, but not worth the MSRP price. The first rifle they sent him to evaluate had issues and was returned to Windham. Not sure I would spend my money with them just yet.

Yea I watched that already, he said at that time the price was over 1,000 bucks, I wonder what his opinion would be with a 850 price tag?

anyways I appreciate all your help, I will make sure to update you when I finally make my decision.

bullittmcqueen
03-16-2012, 09:31
Yup. Founder of Bushmaster reopened the plant and hired back most to all of the employees that were left jobless after Bushy got bought out. Link here (http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/06/16/windham-weaponry-bushmaster-reborn/).

Pass. I'll take a Colt, BCM, or Daniel Defense and gladly hand over an extra $100 or $200.

supatrucka
03-17-2012, 11:49
This thread has drastically changed topics... lol, anyways if anyone hears any good or bad news about Windham Weaponry let me know!
I have over a 1000 down the pipe and I am no Johm Rambo and it works for me. I live in CT so I can't have the evil stuff I paid $899 with flip up's and the Ace stock.
http://i810.photobucket.com/albums/zz24/supatrucka/2012-02-06_17-02-36_166.jpg