What to plant in the garden this year? [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : What to plant in the garden this year?

filthy infidel
03-12-2012, 18:06
I just started getting the garden ready for a fresh crop, and can't wait to crank up the tiller for the first time this season! Staples have been many varieties of peppers, lots of squash, lots of cucumbers, some beans, lettuce, basil, dill, and tomatoes. This year, I'm making it smaller and cutting out maters- my wife and I don't eat them and they take up too much space to be giving away.
What I have found is that when I buy a few packs of cucumber seeds from Lowe's I end up with some great cucumbers and some plants that make cukes that are blimp shaped (very round, low production, my wife doesn't like them. My other tab is on a seed site, what varieties do you recommend? What other plants would you recommend? I'm in solid Zone 8 with sun from late morning until mid afternoon.
This year I didn't bother starting anything indoors seed wise- seems that the last two seasons I'd have a LOT of time invested in seed flats only to see a local store have a fifty cent blowout on ready to transplant veggies. So planning just to start cukes/squash/melons and such fast growers.

bdcochran
03-12-2012, 19:00
Most people don't understand from whence vegetables come. When they are not in season, most are grown in Mexico or along the Texas border. The problem with vegetables purchased in the supermarket is that they are usually picked unripened. And, some can be gassed like tomatoes. So, you cannot rely upon the supermarket.

I would suggest heirloom tomatoes. If you do use fresh herbs, it is more convenient to pick a few at home.

Actually, it would be fun to raise sweet corn. When I lived in corn country, we would go over to a guy's house. He would have the water boiling for the corn, have the timer ready and have one of his six kids go out and pick corn while we sat at the table. What a treat. Beats anything, including buying it from a stand.

Another favorite is radishes. The selection in the store is usually limited to one type.

M1A Shooter
03-12-2012, 22:08
i too am getting a bigger garden in this year. last year i didnt do anything, the two previous were failed attempts at container gardens.

i plan on doing a fair amount of sweet corn and mostly a bit of most anything i can find to see what grows.

filthy infidel
03-13-2012, 05:47
I did corn the first year of the garden, it was good, just takes up a lot of space and nutrients for the payoff.
Regarding corn just plant it in a block if you don't have many rows so that they are properly cross-pollinated.

TMNKWD
03-13-2012, 06:25
Have you ever tried peas or green beans? They don't take up much room because you can grow them up a small pole. Thyme, basil, parsley, rosemary? Again, does not take up a lot of room and it's great to take a few clippings everytime you need some.

Just1More
03-13-2012, 07:42
I planted Swiss chard for the first time last year. It grew well and lasted all season. Cayenne pepper plants are also something I enjoy growing, drying and grinding into a powder.

I'm going to build a trellis for my cucumbers this year. They take up too much room, so I'm growing them vertically this year.

Corn, tomatoes, beans, spinach are also planted. Can't wait! :supergrin:

filthy infidel
03-13-2012, 19:03
Have you ever tried peas or green beans? They don't take up much room because you can grow them up a small pole. Thyme, basil, parsley, rosemary? Again, does not take up a lot of room and it's great to take a few clippings everytime you need some.

Yes on the Basil, we always grow a lot and dry some, freeze some, make big batches of pesto, and the neighbors love the gifts bags of the stuff.