Another ammo question: this time .45 [Archive] - Glock Talk

PDA

View Full Version : Another ammo question: this time .45

Illini38
03-12-2012, 18:35
What is your preferred 45 load that you carry? A marine at the local range was telling me he carries a 230 grain load in his 5" 1911, but a lighter 185 grain load in his Glock 30. Any merit to that argument? I see the point of the longer barrel allowing velocity needed for expansion in the heavier bullet. He says the 185 grain hits harder, which certainly is possible from a physics standpoint if velocity improves significantly enough.

Also, an unrelated question, but why do so many firearms experts advocate the 230 grain 45, but recommend lighter bullet weights in 40 and 9, like 165 and 115 grain respectively? Is the 45 not as prone to over penetration due to the lower velocity of non Plus P loads?

Mas Ayoob
03-13-2012, 05:20
The 230 grain has always been "standard weight" in the caliber, though 200 grain bullets have worked well in some loads and are certainly working well in the analogous .45 GAP. The current generation of high-tech JHPs have been geared primarily around the 230 grain weight, and are engineered to open up even at low velocity from shorter barrels. This, plus their being built to pass the FBI protocols, has made them pretty much standard.

Personally, I'm partial to Federal HST, Speer Gold Dot, and Winchester Ranger-T in the .45 ACP, whether short or long barrel.

Another advantage of a standard pressure 230 grain load is that once you know the carry gun feeds the JHP, those who don't reload get very close to the same recoil and point of aim/point of impact with less expensive 230 grain ball ammo in training.

best,
Mas

Illini38
03-13-2012, 09:53
Thank you very much for the reply, Mas. Makes sense.

Take care,
Byron

Illini38
03-13-2012, 19:37
Mas,

I have been firing ball .45 Federal (the maroon box) or Winchester White Box 230 gr ball from Wally World for my target practice. In fact the local one near me has the Federal stuff for $17 for 50 rounds. Not bad these days. For personal defense, I have the Ranger T's and some Starfires. Although an old design, I've heard the Starfire is a reasonable performer. The one catch with it is it's got a hell of a lotta muzzleflash. I picked up some Rangers a couple weeks ago, so excited to try those soon for feeding, accuracy. Until I try em, test function, Starfire is my load. I refuse to carry something I haven't put some rounds through for function. Looking forward to firing the Ranger T though based on your review and others.

Best Regards,
Byron